[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just beat the original Ys I and II. I can't decide if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
I just beat the original Ys I and II. I can't decide if I want to finally get off my butt and make my own rpg in rpgmaker or hunt down some other games I didn't get a crack at as a kid.

Does anyone have advice on what games to use as references or just to play?

I've already beaten:
Sega CD: Popfulmail, Lunar 1 and 2 (and the ps1 remakes)
Gen: Phantasy star 2,3,4, Shining Force 1/2. Shining in the darkness,
Nes: Mother 1, Zelda 1, Final Fantasy 1 2 3, Dragon Quest 1,
SNes: Earthbound, Zelda, FF6, Harvey Moon, Chrono Trigger,

I'm probably forgetting something, but that is most of them off the top of my head.

Man, I really just want another Ys I&II. That was so good. It was just the right length. And you got to explore a lot. And I liked all the additions in II. And holy crap I could talk to monsters in II! That game came out in like 89 and they actually thought of htat.
>>
https://youtu.be/f7E-XXmhB2I
>>
Faxanadu
for a more primitive side scrolling action rpg

this is kind of less relevant but you might like secret of mana
>>
>>3086443
>make my own rpg in rpgmaker

Is it the year 2000 again?
>>
>>3086443
Play Ys4 dawn of Ys.
>>
>>3086443
>I can't decide
Well there's yer answer. If you can hardly get off your ass to start it you sure as hell ain't gonna finish it.
>>
>>3086443
Similar to Ys I & II, you want to play Hydlide and Druaga, and Dragon Slayer all to see what contemporary games were doing, especially with regards to how you attack enemies. You'll also want to check out Golden Axe Warrior on the Gamegear to see a Zelda-like progression done in a slightly different way. Rolan's Curse I & II, Final Fanatasy Adventure, and Ultima: Runes of Virtue I & II all on the Gameboy for both gameplay and level design, though only Runes of VIrtue I and Rolan's Curse II are really necessary. On Mobile try out PicoHero 2 and 3 by Yamagame. PicoHero 1 is very crude and short, so you can give it a pass easily.
>>
>>3086494
I await the day we can discuss RPG Maker 2000. That was a sizable chunk of my early teens right there.
>>
>>3086443
Ys IV (The Dawn of Ys) and Legend of Xanadu II should give you what you're looking for.
>>
>>3086907

Sounds like a plan to me.
>>
>>3086907
>Druaga

is that really worth going back to?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.