[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ms, Pac-Man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: mspacman.jpg (804 KB, 4659x1645) Image search: [Google]
mspacman.jpg
804 KB, 4659x1645
I recently started playing Ms. Pac-Man since my neighbor picked up an original arcade cabinet, but holy shit I suck.

I can't get past the second stage without losing a life, and I always end up getting a Game Over on stage 3.

How do I git gud?
>>
>>3086328
Learn the ghosts behaviors, scrub. Utilize speed boosts and early cornering.
>>
>>3086330
>Learn the ghosts behaviors
>Utilize speed boosts and early cornering
Will Google, thanks anon.

>scrub
Yeah, I've never really played this over the years, I'm more of a Galaga person, but I'm willing to learn.
>>
One of my favorite gaming memories of all time was when I was 15 and took a Ms. Pac-Man machine at the local flea market for a spin. I was on fire, man. Went all the way to the banana level without losing a life (maybe one, I don't remember) before I finally got overwhelmed.

_That_ was an adrenaline rush.
>>
>>3086764
You lived a sad childhood.
>>
>>3086330
>>3086336
Sadly the ghosts behavior in Ms. Pac-Man are more randomized in their movements and you don't get the slick behaviors of the original. Everything else was an improvement, but changing the ghost behavior was a serious blow.
>>
>>3086889
What website do you think you're on?
>>
>>3086909
> Changing it so there's skill involved was a blow
People being able top play Pac-Man for hours on one credit is why Ms Pac-Man was released and why arcade owners converted their Pac-Man cabs.
>>
>>3086909
>>3086993
There're still recognizable patterns to how the ghosts act, you retards.
>>
>>3087128
Yeah but you can't play the game blindfolded like the original
>>
>>3086328
Clear the maze one corner at a time, don't leave dots that you'll have to backtrack for

Make the power pellets count, wait for the ghosts to close in, and then use them.
>>
>>3086328
Some pointers and tips I came across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQK7PmR8kpQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU7HPrItng4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Covers ghost behavior and grouping.
>>
There's paths you should avoid if ghosts are near, "death zones" where it's easy to get trapped by them. This is a moot point if you memorize the ghost AI, though.
>>
Well, I can consistently pass stage one without losing a life now, but I still die half the time on stage 2, gotta keep practicing.

What're some memories you have with this game? Do you like Ms. Pac-Man, /vr/?
>>
>>3086328
Weirdly I've always been better at Ms. Pac-Man than the original.
>>
File: Ms. Pac-Man_1.png (2 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Ms. Pac-Man_1.png
2 KB, 320x200
I've played an unhealthy amount of the old IBM Atarisoft version.
>>
OP here. I've noticed my neighbors cabinet is normal speed, while a few original and Reunion Class of 1981 cabinets I've played have had Ms. Pac moving faster. What's up with that?
>>
>>3087130
You cant play the original like that either. Patterns stop being useful after level 20 or so when the ghosts start flinching for a frame instead of going to their home corners.

Pattern memorizing is scrub-mode play and you should be ashamed of yourself for actually thinking "Learn the ghost behaviors" meant "Memorize routines invented by other players".
>>
>>3089413
eww, those colors
>>
>>3089763
It's better if you play with with the CGA composite output.
>>
File: Pac Man.jpg (126 KB, 390x398) Image search: [Google]
Pac Man.jpg
126 KB, 390x398
>>3089574
>and you should be ashamed of yourself for actually thinking "Learn the ghost behaviors" meant "Memorize routines invented by other players".
I've done both but I don't doubt there are people that do what you said so well there. Agreed.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.