[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is using a turbo controller cheating?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 1024x683
Is using a turbo controller cheating?
>>
>>3086254
I ask this same question when I give aphrodisiacs to your mother. But in the end, the answer in both cases is they enhance enjoyment. So who cares?
>>
>>3086254
I guess so but not in a big way. I suppose it depends on the game. But yeah, it's mostly just meant to enhance gameplay and enjoyment.
>>
>>3086254
God, I had that thing as a kid. Still do. I used it for EVERYTHING, not realizing it kinda sucked for most games. Whenever I went over a friend's house and they were playing with those tiny rectangles, I was amused. Then I realized they were better in pretty much every way.
>>
>>3086358
And then you realized the dogbone controller was even better than the rectangular one, right?
>>
>>3086254
Doesn't it depend on the game? In Mega Man you can shoot like three bullets in the time it usually takes to shoot one if you use a turbo controller. That obviously makes bosses easier.
>>
>>3086254
I would consider not, though I always thought Turbo keys are really cheating.
That was until I saw an article in the game magazine which describes movement through Turbo key.
Anyway, it's the matter of taste. On myself I barely use them.
>>
It's cute that people think a peripheral that literally plays the game for you isn't cheating, while simultaneously thinking the use of glitches programmed into the game's code is cheating.
>>
>>3087708
Glitches aren't intentionally programmed into a game, retard
>>
>>3087717
>Glitches aren't intentionally programmed into a game, retard

Oh okay, but they're designed to be used with turbo. Gotcha.
>>
>>3087736
I'm not talking about turbo. My comment was regarding glitches. Yes, faggot speedrunners who use glitches are cheating.
>>
>>3087739
My comment was about a specific double standard. Looks like you're sperging out on the wrong guy.
>>
>>3087739
Ocarina of Time 100% with glitches is a monumentally more skilled feat than doing it without glitches. You're a fucking drooling retarded casual if you disagree.
>>
>>3087739
except utilizing glitches to complete games faster makes them more difficult 99% of the time, so I don't see how it could be considered cheating at all unless you're some dumb fuck who thinks playing games the easier way somehow makes it more legitimate.

speedrunners put hundreds to thousands of hours into their games. every single good speedrunner is better at their game than you are and would still beat you in a race even if they didn't use glitches.
>>
>>3087739
I agree with you, despite all these other guys with differing opinions, and I also consider turbo controllers cheating.

Now I don't care about speedrunners, and if their rules say they allow for glitches, whatever. Not every speedrun uses glitches and I'm given to understand they mark glitch-free runs.

But using glitches, on the magnitude of how badly are you cheating if you use them versus turbo controllers? I'd say glitches are far worse than a turbo controller, generally.
>>
Turbo buttons aren't exactly cheating because most games either have a limit of bullets on screen (see megaman) or it somehow goes slower (see silver surfer, i can fucking shoot more bullets by tapping the button than holding the turbo button) or on the other hand they already have rapid shots that doesn't really need turbo or in the case of castlevania or ninja gaiden, you don't need them because it won't make you kill things faster.

Turbo button is just there so you don't have to mash that button at the speed of dicks.

Also (not retro), the turbo button COULD BE cheating but in QTE's like in Resident Evil 4 and even then, turbo buttons died around the 5th generation of consoles so its irrelevant.
>>
File: TurboGrafx-16-Controller.jpg (3 MB, 3100x1540) Image search: [Google]
TurboGrafx-16-Controller.jpg
3 MB, 3100x1540
Not if it's intended
>>
>>3087808
>But using glitches, on the magnitude of how badly are you cheating if you use them versus turbo controllers? I'd say glitches are far worse than a turbo controller, generally.
it's ironic you say this, because the vast majority of speedrunning communities ban turbo. with glitches you're playing the game yourself instead of using a controller that plays it for you, and speedrun relevant glitches make games harder, while turbo almost always makes them easier.
>>
>>3086254
In some cases, like Contra where they made rapid fire a powerup, it's pretty obviously cheating. But ultimately who gives a damn.
>>
No, the Garegga world record was done in a real arcade using a variable autofire setup to get the exact frequencies required.
>>
glitches are not cheating because they're part of the game. if you can perform a glitch with nothing but a normal controller and a normal cart, how can it be considered cheating?

obviously using turbo is cheating because you're using a peripheral to perform actions that are otherwise impossible, not unlike an action replay or game genie.
>>
I don't think Turbo is cheating for the most part.

It does make some games a lot easier, because you can focus on dodging while literally taping the shoot button down.

I think it makes some games a lot more fun or tolerable though.

I use my SNES a shitload when I play RPG's because of how monotonous the random battles can get. I literally browse youtube or facebook or whatever while my party auto attacks to victory.
>>
>>3086872
I don't see why, always preferred NES original pad to SNES pad.
>>
>>3086254
Only shit casuals that can't into rapid fire use turbo
>>
>>3088008
>I don't see why
basic ergonomics. a rectangular pad is by definition non-ergonomic. your preference for it is the exception, not the rule, and use of a NES pad is objectively worse for the long term health of your hands than the use of a SNES pad, albeit not my a lot.

retro controllers all suck pretty hard. controllers didn't start actually becoming comfortable until the 6th generation.
>>
>>3088020
>a rectangular pad is by definition non-ergonomic
The way my hands grip both, it doesn't seem to matter. A lot of people are confused about what makes good ergonomics. On a controller as small as the NES pad, the shape doesn't really matter at all, since you don't really wrap your hands around the edges of the controller at all, you really just hold it with the tips of your fingers. It's the button placement that actually matters. I would prefer if they were more at an angle, which is what actually makes the SNES and dogbone controllers more ergonomic, not their shape.

Not /vr/ related, but it's the same reason the ergonomics of a 3DS XL and a regular 3DS are basically the same thing. One system is much bigger, but the placement of their buttons and the layout are practically identical, and your hand and fingers are forced into basically the same configuration to get at all the buttons. In the case of the XL, they're just further apart.
>>
>>3088020
>use of a NES pad is objectively worse for the long term health of your hands than the use of a SNES pad
Probably one of the most bullshit things I've ever heard here. Back to med school, doctor dumbass.
>>
>>3088468
It's safe to ignore any statement including the word "objectively"
>>
>>3088020
>a rectangular pad is by definition non-ergonomic
What a boring definition. Reasonable definition of ergonomics, comfortable and non-straining to hold, means that it depends on your hands fit with the controller.

I just wrap my index fingers around the corners, the joint above the knuckle at the corner and it's perfectly comfortable. Then again I also have small hands.
>>
>>3088468
lol because cramped hands is clearly more healthy than non cramped hands.
>>
>>3086254
Yes, I think it is because it's giving you a result you couldn't humanly attain on your own. Look at the stairway in Ghostbusters. With turbo it is drastically different than doing it manually to the point where it's not even fair anymore.

In some shooters you are outputting more bullets than you normally could be able to, so you end up killing more and making yourself safer so that has a definite impact on the difficulty of the game. It's cheating in both cases.
>>
turbo is only good for reducing the incidence of RSI, and that's ok

but glitches are another beast. I mean at that point you aren't even playing the game, because by definition games have rules and states, when they are broken or altered: you are cheating

being able to do that faster, in the end, is a meaningless accomplishment held in high esteem only by e-celeb attention whores
>>
>>3089749
>turbo is only good for reducing the incidence of RSI, and that's ok
That would be true if the turbo rate mimics realistic button mashing ratios and exhaustion. It does not.
>>
ITT some nobodies on the internet are jealous of speedrunners cause they will never beat a game like they do
>>
>>3089760
You do sound like a speedrunner. Speedrunners never grasped the concept of games.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.