[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>finally get all the emulators and retro games I could ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 512x480
>finally get all the emulators and retro games I could ever have on my computer
>finally get around to playing
>too many fucking games to choose from
>can't decide and end up just not playing at all

anyone else have this problem? I think I've oversupplied myself or something.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-22-18-48-24.png (236 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-22-18-48-24.png
236 KB, 540x960
>>3082301
I did this. Just load up the most obscure japanese title you can and have at it. Try and finish it. Good times can be had if you go in with a sense of humour.
>Pic related
>>
File: Sad Bugs.jpg (16 KB, 342x245) Image search: [Google]
Sad Bugs.jpg
16 KB, 342x245
>>3082301
Yup, and how.

As a kid, I would've gone crazy for all these games.

As an adult, I only find suffering.
>>
same boat here, take out the whole collection and only input 10 games at a time, playtest at least all and rinse and repeat.

I am thinking about not implementing all games in the first place, there is just so much crap you will never play
>>
Yes, and it's not just emulated that does it for me. Physical games, stuff I got for presents, even movies and some books. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have had a backlog going back to 2012, though I've been slowly clearing it of late.

Take my advice OP, prioritize. Think very hard about whether something is really worthwhile; and stop yourself from picking up lots of things at the same time when you know you won't be able to get through them.

I guess part of it is feeling more and more adult responsibilities. Sometimes I forget I'm not a kid anymore with a fuckton of spare time to just do anything with.
>>
It's about setting goals, anon.

When people get in the same position you are I always tell them to go on a revenge quest. Write down the games you played a lot as a kid but never finished and finish them now.
>>
File: sdfdfg.jpg (210 KB, 1097x774) Image search: [Google]
sdfdfg.jpg
210 KB, 1097x774
>>3082301
spend time throwing your games into a frontend.
scrolling though your digital collection by game cases makes you more likely to play something.

in my case a lot of obscure consoles/pc games need special ways to be launched and mounted, or need controller stuff like xpadder. using batch files to make everything automatic and no effort greatly increases your urge to play something.
>>
>>3082301
hi op, i have hyperspin set up, with complete rom sets, what i did is made favorites, so either you can go through all the games or just the ones you really like. its a great way to view them i think, whenever im in the mood for something new i can just stroll throught the list, fwiw jm2c
>>
>>3082319
>>3082323
I'll probably do this, since it's also easier to play all of my games though one program as well
>>3082313
>>3082315
It's just hard to choose when you have over 10k+ games
>>
I've always had more games than I could play.
When I got my C64 I also got a box with hundreds of pirated games.
>>
>>3082309
This is basically the best approach. I have flash carts and burnt CD collections for all my systems and I find myself playing the same few games over and over.
>>
>>3082345
>Revenge quest
>"It's just hard to choose when you have over 10k+ games"
jesus christ you played and didn't finish over 10k games as a child?
>>
>>3082385
how do you know hes jezus?
>>
>>3082404
how autistic do you have to be to not notice when a poster is jesus christ
>>
>>3082415
well played sir
>>
>>3082301
I'm still clearing my summer purchases from GOG slavs.
>>
>>3082301
Playing retro games on emulators is near blasphemy for me. It couldn't compare to picking an original game case off your shelf with the manual to look over while you pop that bad boy in your original system and play with that OG controller on most likely an old CRT tv all the while watching cool shit on another tv.
Using an emulator absolutely destroys the experience for me. Maybe that's your problem, OP. I'm willing to bet if you spent time researching a game, making sure it is worth buying, finding it, and then attempt to get your money's worth out of it, you would have way more fun. Part of the fun of playing retro is having all the old stuff to make the experience more enjoyable.
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 287x175) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 287x175
>>3082453
define autism
>>
>>3082459
If you're not autistic about your hobbies, they aren't worth it.
>>
Just take a break from games, nigga. Get a life. I did some other stuff and came back wanting to play video games more than ever because everything else is shit.
>>
>>3082453
It's like you guys never played a computer game in your entire life.
>>
>>3082483
OP's image is of Silver which I know as an NES game. When I hear of a game being emulated I think console to PC emulation. I've never heard of anyone emulating a PC game on PC. I mean am I missing something?
>>
>>3082483
sounds more like hipsters doing the 'retro' thing. i come from the NES period and i couldnt be arsed to play it on the old shitty consoles, emulation all the way baby, hmmmm let me see all the games for free emulated with all the filters ( you can even play on a crt if you really care that much, again who cares? ), or over pay for a game at some resellers scums website just to have bragging rights and look cool, hey if thats your thing fine, whatever floats your boat, just dont try to convince me im wrong. oh and 100% accuracy isnt a thing for me so yeah theres that.

again op, get hyperspin (or any of the multiple front ends of your liking), set it up and play the fuck out of it
>>
>>3082486
>I've never heard of anyone emulating a PC game on PC. I mean am I missing something?
A lot apparently.
>>
>>3082490
Part of what makes retro gaming enjoyable is owning the games, building a respectable collection and then playing those games in the way they were intended on the original consoles. When you set the atmosphere you will have more fun playing them.. I guarantee it, anon. Playing a game using an emulator is only worth it to check the quality and to see if you enjoy it; but the ultimate end result is getting the actual game and if you enjoy it, maybe a cool poster too. You might not see my way of playing these games or just games in general but you can't write me off so easily. I hate the idea of downloadable games.. it kills the atmosphere, imho desu.
>>
>>3082301
It's because 99% of games, retro included, suck ass and aren't worth playing. Why would you waste your time with 100 shitty games when you could spend that same amount of time playing 2 or 3 good ones?

This is why I don't understand massive retro collections. Nobody who owns all that garbage is going to put meaningful time into any of it. They're not actually gamers, they just like looking at carts.
>>
>>3082510
Speaking from experience, eh?
>>
>>3082517
I only buy the games and consoles that I plan to play a lot, so no. I'm speaking from observation.
>>
>>3082510
>Practically all games/movies/music/entertainment is shit, only a tiny bit is good
I'll never understand this miserable, joyless attitude.
>>
>2001 or so
>friend shows me emulation
>this is great
>all the roms are on angelroms or cherryroms or something
>hentai ads and popups
>trying to sneak download these so parents don't see and think i'm looking at jap cartoon titties
>have to vote 4 times to get a game
>download
>play for 15
>do it all again
All emulating did was allow me to drop games much faster for being slightly shitty. I used to have to rent one or two older titles and try them out for an hour before giving up.
>>
>>3082504
it just sounds like youre trying to amplify your commitment through nostalgia, again whatever floats your boat, i get it, ive just stated an absolute ($) about why i prefer emu.

OP, get hyperspin, set your favorites, maybe get a poster, play the fuck out of it, desu
>>
>>3082523
First, the obvious.. why are you on /vr/? Now, anon. I play all the generations, basically anyway. I might play some Bloodborne for a few then feel the itch to play some Super Mario 3 or even something like Blades of Vengeance(GEN). If you spent some time playing retro especially with a cool collection, you just might find that games don't age (a good game is a good game no matter the era it was created in) and the core basics are still present in retro. What changes, especially now is that there is a lot of cinematics, unnecessary dialogue, and a vast majority more of filler in games. All probably for the sake of money (jobs and higher retail price). You download a game straight to your console now with no physical copy, nothing cool to look at, that makes your living space enjoyable to be in and sets the mood to game. Like a temple of vidya. I just don't get it. These games that are reliant on updates and the DLCs that should have just been unlockable content in game.. man there is a lot to say about all of this but it's late and I'm getting tired. Maybe you will understand some day when it gets a bit worse.
>>
>>3082538
Emulators also play like garbage compared to the original most of the time, so there's that. Even cycle accurate emulators look shitty and have input latency.
>>
I enjoy the idea of playing games more than actually playing them. It's too easy to get bored for a second, switch back to check for any new posts in a thread or to look something up you just thought, and the game has been minimized for 4 hours.
>>
>>3082539
>why are you on /vr/?
To talk about retro gaming.

I'm not sure what the purpose of your long winded paragraph is because I never said once that the games I enjoy aren't retro.
>>
>>3082543

I assumed this >>3082510 was you
>>
>>3082547
Yeah, that is me. What you said about modern gaming is totally redundant, and I'm not sure why you brought it up. The vast majority of modern games suck shit too.
>>
>>3082543
Whoops, I thought you had only said that about retro. Hah. That's mildly embarrassing.. good thing this place is anon. My bad, mango.
>>
>>3082536
It's not miserable or joyless. I'm quite happy enjoying the best life has to offer while you're all wading around in mediocrity.
>>
You just need to better organize your games, OP.
eg:
Snes folder > RPG folder
Playstation folder > RPG folder

Then just google "Top 20 games" for each genre so you'll have something like:

Snes folder > RPG folder > Top20 folder
Playstation folder > RPG folder >Top20 folder
Then just separate the rest of the "unsorted" games.
>>
>>3082301
Same, I just can't get into emulating. Prefer grabbing the game off my shelf and popping it in the original console on a crt tv. Perfect mix of nostalgia and fun gaming time.
>>
>>3082558
>I've disappeared up my own asshole and it's quite nice in here
I'm impressed you fit in there what with all the dicks
>>
I used to have this problem but i found a trick. I will pick anything. 1 of 2 things will happen. 1 i like the game and keep playing. 2 is that i start thinking of games id rather be playing.
>>
>>3082301
Yeah, happens to me.
>be 10 years old me
>really into Pokemon
>want to play the games but parents can't afford them at the time
>16 years old me discovers emulation
>I can play GB, GBC and N64 games on my PC for free.
>Play a little bit of Pokemon Red, an get bored since Pokemon doesn't hype me anymore like it used to
>10 years later haven't touched any Pokemon game again
I feel like my 10 years old self would hate me.
>>
>>3082453

>playing retro games for nostalgia instead of enjoying them for their merits

guaranteed way to burn out once the nostalgia fades
>>
>>3082453
I'd almost agree anon, I really like the aesthetic of the console and the cartridges and even the CRT, but for me money just outways the aesthetic, i have a few flash carts to test games I've heard about and for the super expensive games so that I can save up enough for them.
I certainly understand why people like emulation, it's free or at least cheaper than the real thing, but I still think nothing will beat the real thing.
>>
>>3082486
>something something DOSBox
>>
>>3084017
And wasted money, you mongoloid.
>>
>>3082301
First mistake, using emulators.
>>
>>3084592
anon, tnx, i keep saying it in this thread, get hyperspin, if you need nostalgia or $ to commit to a game youre doing it wrong, accuracy isnt a thing, maybe if you speedrun ( they have special categories for that) or you want to play one of few games that dont run well.
whatever happened to playing a game just cos you like it?
>>
>>3084257
It's like collecting action figures, or anything else like that. The nostalgia does make it better but it isn't all of the reason why I enjoy collecting. If I spend $30-50 a week on something that looks awesome in the house and can be interacted with in a fun manner it's just a win all around. I look around my room and can actually see all my games in a physical format. Sometimes I'll walk around like I were in a vidya-store and certain games will catch my eye. There is just something about grabbing a off the shelf. The only reason why I even explain myself is because I want other people to know how enjoyable it is to collect. I don't want this scene in vidyagames to die. I want my kids to have cool collections too if they end up liking the vidya.. not just a log full of ROMs and shit. I understand the point in emulating, but I just don't like it. I wish every game came like the black plastic GEN cases with a colorful manual and maybe even a cool poster too. I would much rather have that than 40 min cinamatics; that's a bit off-topic though.
>>
>>3084064
BOOM ROASTED
>>
>>3084623
you seem to confuse liking to collect and liking to game and mix them up into one indistinguishable concept. i dont care about collecting, i just care about gaming, couldnt be arsed to walk around my own room and look at my games, if i wanna walk around like im in a video store, guess where im going...

>spend $30-50 a week on something that looks awesome
>ROMs and shit
>I just dont like it

we get it
>>
>>3084636
>indistinguishable
>>
>>3084643
nice pic anon, lolled hard, but yeah you were probably the kid at the schoolyard bullying other kids for using -expensive- words
>>
>>3082453
autism speaks
we listen
>>
>>3084643

If you only care about actually playing the games, then yes, they're indistinguishable.
>>
First thing I did was take the overwhelming feeling to bed, went to sleep with it, woke up and played the first game that came to mind. Now I cycle through the same games instead of checking out the entire library.
>>
>>3082301
Not me. I got the entire ROM sets (for 8 and 16 bit systems, mostly) and I just never run out of games to play whenever I have time. It's either games I already played, games I own physically, or read about in magazines or such.

And I keep finding new good stuff just digging around or from recommendations from friends, youtube or /vr/. I even branched into home computers that were never a thing in my country and there's even more fun stuff in there. And there's also arcade stuff, and dosbox. And romhacks. And hacking stuff yourself for kicks.

Best thing is that I don't even waste much time with games, I play like 8-10 hours a week. Having access to such a large library was a dream when I was a kid, and now that I have it, I am sure going through with it. I don't even force myself to it, it's like "today I feel like replaying Thunder Force IV" or "this game discussed in /vr/ looks fun, let's try it out", and it's already there ready to be played.

And a lot of retro games (except RPGs) don't take all that much time to get from start to finish, so you can clear them in one sitting.

Good times.
>>
>>3082301
Someone got royally triggered the last time we had one of these threads. They got all "Hurr, you must have discipline and rules when enjoying your children's games! ONLY play one game at a time, and give it your complete attention and utmost honor! It will strengthen your body and spirit!"

Yeah, that guy was a fag. I never got into emulation, and considering I still own most of the games I would ever want to play from my childhood, ever since I set up my dedicated retro game station, It's not too hard for me to sit down and play something for a bit. I really enjoy NES games because most of them are meant to be played in a short burst. I might do a few levels of one thing, or play a shooter for 20 minutes, then try and get to the next town in Zelda 2 or something. If for some reason something isn't holding my attention, I move on, or if my friends are playing a multiplayer game on the PS4, I'll quit and join them. It's a fucking hobby, not a job.
>>
Ah the paradox of choice.

Just play the most popular games first. There's really no point in playing anything else.
>>
>>3084878
>There's really no point in playing anything else.
why?
>>
OP keep collecting your digital emulator library. There will be a time when it will be hard to get those titles.

Watch let's plays of the games you are craving and play the ones you haven't. Just do a normal run , no completion. Download saved game files for back up.
Finally, there are audio books and YouTube for a reason. No one really reads anymore and younger information twice as fast from video.

Also things like coffee and drugs help if you are into it, just don't over do it.
It helps to have something else going on while you play too, like an audio book or a no commentary let's play channel.

But dont stop collecting, we may need you some day.

I'm currently you g to start up ff12/and finish it.
Game for atleast an hour.
>>
>>3084924

Because if you never heard about it it's probably shit.
>>
>>3085360
Sometimes powering through a shitty game is fun. Especially if you have friends that know the game is shitty. I have a friend that thinks Alien 3 is impossible to beat so I plan on beating it just to have a giggle. Not even a bad game either, little repetitive but I like to play all kinds of games not just the ones that are met with good review.
>>
>finally have all the clammy disposable income i want
>have boxes of games sitting around my consoles
>have pages of games in carts and on wishlists i can get
>no time to play games, new old or emulated
just
>>
>>3082301
Just like with movies. You end up being able to play or watch anything, so you just don't do it.
>>
>>3082301
This is why I collect.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.