[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does using this to get higher resolution or textures reduce the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: N64 expansion pak.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
N64 expansion pak.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
Do the high resolution modes cause unpleasant interlace flicker or does the N64's natural astigmatism filter neutralize it?

Is this thing worth getting outside of the 3 games that it's mandatory for? (Donkey Kong, Majora's Mask, and Perfect Dark)
>>
google
>>
>>3082131
expansion pack only affects the games you mentioned
>>
>Is this thing worth getting outside of the 3 games that it's mandatory for?

No
>>
>>3082131
>Do the high resolution modes cause unpleasant interlace flicker or does the N64's natural astigmatism filter neutralize it?

N64 supports flicker filtering.

>Is this thing worth getting outside of the 3 games that it's mandatory for? (Donkey Kong, Majora's Mask, and Perfect Dark)

Yes. There are a fair few games that properly take advantage of it. Games like Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, Indy Infernal Machine can run in high resolution with it and the framerate isn't really any different. Turok 2 has a pretty shitty framerate regardless so you may as well play it in high resolution. Quake 2 runs in 24bit high-color mode with the Expansion Pak and there's no framerate penalty for it (actually I think the framerate might be better).

Other games had Expansion Pak support thrown in at the last minute and aren't properly optimized for it. Castlevania Legacy of Darkness and Hybrid Heaven are good examples. Their framerates are generally atrocious in high resolution.
>>
First Google result.

Enhanced games
Ntsc-u and pal
Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
All-star Baseball 2001
Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M.
Army Men: Air Combat
Army Men: Sarge's Heroes
Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2
Battlezone 64: Rise Of The Black Dogs
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Command & Conquer 64
Cyber Tiger
Daikatana
Donkey Kong 64*
Duke Nukem Zero Hour
Extreme-G 2 (aka XG2)
Excitebike 64
F1 World Grand Prix II (released in Europe only)
Gauntlet Legends
Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
Hybrid Heaven
Hydro Thunder
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
International Track and Field 2000
Jeremy McGrath's Supercross 2000
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
Madden NFL '99
Madden NFL 2000
Madden NFL 2001
Mario Golf
Mega Man 64
NBA Courtside 2
NBA Jam 2000
New Tetris, The
NFL Quarterback Club 99
NFL Quarterback Club 2000
NFL Quarterback Club 2001
Nuclear Strike 64
Perfect Dark
Premier Manager 64 (released in Europe only)
Quake 2
Rayman 2
Re-volt
Resident Evil 2
Roadsters
San Francisco Rush 2049
Shadowman
Road Rash 64
South Park
South Park Rally
Starcraft 64
Star Wars Episode I Battle for Naboo
Star Wars Episode I Racer
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Stunt Racer 64
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask*
The World is not Enough
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Top Gear Hyper-Bike
Top Gear Overdrive
Top Gear Rally 2
Turok 2 Seeds of Evil
Turok 3 Shadow of Oblivion
Turok Rage Wars
Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8: The Second Offense
Xena Warrior Princess - The Talisman of Fate

*Required

------------------
64 Disk Drive
------------------
64DD Hardware (the expansion pak is required to use the 64DD, and it was originally designed for it)

All 64DD Disks (listed below)
--
F-Zero X Expansion Kit
Mario Artist: Communication Studio
Mario Artist: Polygon Studio
Mario Artist: Paint Studio
Mario Artist: Talent Studio
Nippon Pro Golf Tour 64
SimCity 64
Kyojin no Doshin
Kyojin no Doshin: Kaihou Sensen Chibikko Chikko Daishuugou
Randnet Disk

Seems worth it.
>>
games run slower in hi rez mode
>>
>>3082158

I see you havent used one.
Try it with Shadowman64. The draw distance is increased enormously.
>>
>>3082182
Except that literally does not answer his question. He wasn't asking for a list of games with support, he was asking what benefit the games with support even received.
>>
>>3082246
Not that anon.

How much do you need to be hand held? I'm serious. Are you retarded? Trying to make a conversion by asking a simple conversation?
>>
>>3082249
Trying to make a conversation by asking a simple question?*
>>
>>3082249

Answer his question or fuck off.
>>
>>3082269
Nope. Sorry underageb&.
>>
I got an expansion pak so I can use virtually unlimited lines of code at once on gameshark, which I use to practice Super Mario 64.

https://sites.google.com/site/sm64gameshark/
>>
File: mjcover.jpg (31 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
mjcover.jpg
31 KB, 475x347
All games supported by the Expansion Pak have better graphics and run smoother.

Some games provide in-game video settings that take advantage of the xpac, others don't but still take advantage of the pak.

Only a few games require the pak to run. If you're interested in a N64, its generally recommended if not expected of you that you pick up a Expansion pak. Just do it, they're cheap and you get a lot of it.
>>
Are there any games that won't work with the expansion pak installed and require you to replace it with the jumper pak?

I recall there was at least one Saturn game that didn't work with the 4MB expansion cartridge.
>>
>>3082890
I think maybe Space Station Silicon Valley.
>>
>>3082908
nah, that game works fine on my N64 with the xpak.
>>
>>3082246
Wow, you're literally retarded. That is the stupidest failed attempt at a nitpick I've seen in a long, long time. And I come here every day recently so that's saying a lot.
>>
>>3082890
the two games that require their own respective ROM cartridges to work?
>>
>>3082920
The opening cutscene crashes when you use the xpak. When the ship crashes into the station it freezes. I'm U.S. though, are you? Maybe it's different on different versions?
>>
>>3082131
I still think its funny that DK64 only required this, because they couldn't fix a bug in time for release, and noticed the bug didn't occur with the pak installed.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.