[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come we never talk about Alone in the Dark? The first three
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10
File: Grace_Saunders.png (9 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Grace_Saunders.png
9 KB, 320x200
How come we never talk about Alone in the Dark? The first three installments are amazing horror-adventure and Jack in the Dark is cool too. Arguably it what also spawned stuff like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
>>
Another great series relegated to oblivion by modern attempts to cash in on the franchise with mediocre products.
>>
>>3080837
I quite enjoyed AITD4 - but I think it tried to deviate too much from the direction RE had gone - it should have remained about ghosts, zombies and the occult, that was it's core strength - no stupid 'shadow monsters' also the game that game out on the xbox 360 had some pretty neat mechanics - but 90% of the game was running around burning tentacles, who though that would be a good idea?
Somebody make the kick starter for a proper horror AITD!
>>
>>3080864
4 was pretty and had its moments, but overall it was a very different style from the 90s games and it's not retro.

I always felt the real heir the series was Nightmare Creatures. While it was definitely more action-oriented, it did have a lot of AITD's gothic feel, slower pacing and spoopy atmosphere.
>>
>>3080831
>How come we never talk about Alone in the Dark?
because survival horror didn't git gud until silent hill 2 & 3, fite me IRL fgt
>>
>>3080875
I agree with your sentiment - and I couldn't resist a rant about modern AITD - although I can't claim I ever got too into Nightmare Creatures as it lacked the fully narrated tomes (well voiced acted IMO) and historical titbits that awed my young mind
>>
File: image052.png (76 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
image052.png
76 KB, 480x300
>>3080831
>The first three installments are amazing horror-adventure
How is AitD2 amazing horror-adventure in any way?
It's about as scary as pic related.
>>
>Alone in the Dark
>horror games

First one maybe, but remember how 2/3 were basically glorified action-adventure games?
>>
They're slow and kind of goofy. So people don't actually play them anymore. But they were ground breaking and set the tone for later 3Rd person spooky masnion horror games.
>>
>>3080908
I though the intro with Striker was scary with the clown slitting his throat in front of the little girl
>>
File: 1124467-jack_in_the_dark_1.png (146 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1124467-jack_in_the_dark_1.png
146 KB, 320x320
>>3080910
Jack in the Dark scared me 5real
>>
>>3080898
Uhh... Clock Tower SNES though
>>
>>3080920
being european and cool the only console I owned was a mega drive I found in a bin in early 2000's

cause in those days you could concievably run out of PC games and DOSbox wasn't a thing yet
>>
>>3080926
I think your opinions are far from that of a cool person, in fact ,evidentially, I would say you have the opinions of a bin diving cad!
>>
>>3080934
I will say SNES had a much better game lineup, but as it stands the spoopiest game of the 90's is system shock, which I didn't actually play until some golden god amongst men made a mouselook mod for it
>>
So, are there any other games with horror themes for the PS1?
I've played
>Silent hill
>Resident evil 1,2,Nemesis
>Legacy of Kain Blood omen and Soul reaver
>AitD 1,2,3, A new nightmare
>Parasite eve
>Dino crisis
>Shadowman?
>Nightmare creatures
What am I missing?
>>
File: gunna-get-carnby-d.gif (712 KB, 512x534) Image search: [Google]
gunna-get-carnby-d.gif
712 KB, 512x534
>>3080898
U Wot M8
>>
>>3080950
Swagman
>>
File: 45069_front[1].jpg (21 KB, 308x300) Image search: [Google]
45069_front[1].jpg
21 KB, 308x300
Obligatory 3DOfag plug

Check it out AITDbros

Also 3DO versions of AITD 1 & 2 are pretty boss
>>
Alone in the Dark and Jack in the Dark scared the shit out of me as a kid and, graphics aside, the games hold up pretty well.

Alone in the Dark 2, 3, and on have just been terrible though.
>>
>>3080908
i can't stop hearing the music now, and for some reason it's the pc speaker version not the glorious midi sound.
>>
>>3080950
Hellnight
Clocktower
>>
File: sweet home.jpg (131 KB, 306x440) Image search: [Google]
sweet home.jpg
131 KB, 306x440
>>3080831
>Arguably it what also spawned stuff like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
no
>>
>>3083756
There's a huge difference between Sweet Home and Resident Evil. I know what the developer says but to me it sound like "Alone in the whaaaaaaaa? I never even heard of that.The similarities are purely coincidental I assure you"
>>
>>3080950
D
>>
I was 12 yrs old when I first played AITD1, in the basement where our computer room was, with the lights off. I was already scared nearly witless where we start off, reading the suicide note, then the music suddenly goes all sinister, with a monster moving out the window. Then when the monster went from one window to the other and breaks in, I about lost it and wanted to hightail it back upstairs. In the meantime my parents had turned off the basement lights too though, so I was in complete fucking darkness, scared shitless , and still carry this scar 20 yrs later
>>
>>3080898
Ecstatica. I going 2 wreck you I swear on me mum
>>
>>3084597
Holy shit this
>>
>>3081159
I wish there was a translation.
>>
>>3084903
You never played a Biohazard game because you couldn't wait? Survival horror games all follow the same basic form, and generally have a lot of English text since for whatever reason they're usually set in the West.
>>
File: ecstatica wolfrape.jpg (29 KB, 471x293) Image search: [Google]
ecstatica wolfrape.jpg
29 KB, 471x293
>>3084597
>>3084901
>Ecstatica
>Good
Are you sure you're not just perverts?
>>
>>3084939
It was amazing at the time, literally 10/10 atmosphere. It just didn't age that well.
>>
>>3084934
That may be true but the game itself is very slow, so it would help if there was a translation so it wouldn't take you hours too try everything.
>>
>>3080914
I thought it was just strangling him. I never saw a knife or anything in it's hands.
>>
File: indark_91.jpg (154 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
indark_91.jpg
154 KB, 960x600
>>
>>3080831
Nobody talks about it because it's fucking garbage.
>>
File: AitD 3.png (1 MB, 861x607) Image search: [Google]
AitD 3.png
1 MB, 861x607
>>3086521

That's nothing
>>
>>3083824
>Shinji Mikami blatantly says Sweet Home inspired RE.
>Due to the Playstation's limitations at the time, pre rendered backdrops with polygonal characters were necessary to maintain a higher level of detail
>some faggot autist can't wrap his head around these facts and is pissed that RE completely blew out AitD, relegating it to obscurity.

RE was originally planned to be a first person horror game but was scrapped due to tech limitations. The scrapped ideas were used to make RE1.
Feel free to stick to your headcannon though, sperg.
>>
>>3083756
Exactly
Sweet Home started it all.
>>
>>3086529

Not the guy you're talking to but RE1 basically IS AitD1. The people who made it saying "we totally didn't rip that other game off" doesn't mean a whole lot considering how similar it is.
>>
>>3080950

Galerians
Koudelka
TRAG
Oveblood (it's not very good but it's horror)
>>
>>3084402
You could say that you were alone....alone in the dark.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.