[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
was this a good game? I remember renting it as a kid and thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: gemini.jpg (21 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
gemini.jpg
21 KB, 259x194
was this a good game? I remember renting it as a kid and thinking it was cool
>>
There are no good Rare games, only nostalgia and Kinect sports.
>>
File: jfg.jpg (370 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
jfg.jpg
370 KB, 1024x768
It's really nice and personally one of my favorite Rare games. It was developed by the Blast Corps team (another of my favorite games of theirs).

I've been replaying it recently and it's still fun as fuck to blow up these insects and dismember their limbs all around. I love the weapon variety.

The main thing to note is that you will need to go to the option screen and change the control scheme from normal to Expert. Expert controls will let you move in all 8 directions while on aiming move, it changes the game greatly for the better.

The only downside and what most people complain about is the tribal collectan, but it's only required after you've beaten 70% of the game, it's not something that you need to do all the time while you're playing.

The multiplayer modes are also great fun.
And let's not forget Vela's titty jiggle animations, oh baby.
>>
>>3080826
It's great, up until the end when it forces you to go back and collect every single tribal in the game in order to get to the final boss.
To this day I've never beaten it, because that's a level of bullshit that I refuse to accept.

It did a lot of cool things, though. The idea of having 3 playable characters who all worked slightly differently, and had different paths through the game was nifty, and the limited co-op play was pretty sweet if you had a friend.
>>
>>3081415
>it's a hostage saving game
>but I don't wanna save any hostages fuck that it's too hard

people like you disgust me

it's like those 15 year olds with learning disabilities that never do a single mission in gta only just run around and shoot the police
>>
>>3081805
It's not fun to collect for the sake of collecting.
>>
File: 1411049277165.jpg (45 KB, 249x479) Image search: [Google]
1411049277165.jpg
45 KB, 249x479
Collecting useless shit aside, I do like this game. Never favored Banjo or DK64 much, but multi-player JFG filled a lot of dead time in college.
>>
>>3081835
fuck off

next you'll tell me that saving hostages in virtua cop is 'collecting them'

it's called a challenge you disgusting casual, muh collectathon meme can't be used to disguise that you just aren't good enough to complete levels in JFG while keeping all the tribals alive
>>
>>3081857
Backtracking isn't really a challenge though. It's only "difficult" or "hard" in the way that you dread doing it because it's not fun. It's hard to bring yourself to do it. It's difficult to muster up the care to go the fuck back.
>>
>>3081871
if you don't think playing a level in JFG for a second time is 'fun' (probably because what you actually dread is exposure for being terrible by dying) then just face it, you don't like the game

you can't claim to "like" JFG and then also claim you don't like rescuing tribals, if you do that it just means you are a hipster who should be off playing walking simulators or point and click adventure games

boo hoo you have to play a level a second time except this time you have to git gud
>>
>>3080826
This game got a lot of praise when it came out, but I could never put more than 15 minutes into it. The controls were clunky (I'm trying to be kind), and the camera work was weak. The game/character design was... well, lets just say I couldn't find anything I appreciated about this game. I played it a fair bit, but always had to force myself to to "give it a fair chance". It never won me over.
>>
>>3081846
Conker multiplayer easily shits on JFG multiplayer though. You missed out.
>>
>>3081896
Agreed. Too bad my shithead friends from back then had no taste and wouldn't play Conker.

Btw, why was it that the 64 multiplayer was so good for Conker, but the Xbox port was shit?
>>
>>3081857
It's not even the tribals. It's replaying levels over and over again to find all the obscure nooks and crannies they hid the spaceship parts in. On top of the rescuing the tribals.

It's not like Rare spaced out the collectathon. It was dropped on you as a giant chunk that takes up the last third (or quarter) of the game.

That said, there are a lot of good points to the game, like neat weapons, bosses, and locales. But playing the bog planet a dozen times to find the fuck-thruster or combing the same rooms over and over again on Anubis just to find some tin can is annoying and ruined the flow of the game.
>>
Trying to save all the tribals made me want to execute them all.

That ending made me wish I had.
>>
>>3081805
>it's a hostage saving game
No, it's a game about shooting bug aliens and saving the galaxy from their bug alien tyrant leader. You don't have to save a single tribal until their leader decides that sending you on a fucking scavenger hunt across the entire galaxy is a better choice than sending you to kill the big bad once and for all, because he's a petty, small-minded prick who only cares about his people.

>>3081879
>"If you don't love everything about the game you aren't allowed to claim that like anything about it!"

You are the worst kind of faggot.
>>
File: JFGMrPants2.png (657 KB, 758x585) Image search: [Google]
JFGMrPants2.png
657 KB, 758x585
>>3083383
>Trying to save all the tribals made me want to execute them all.

You can go back and kill every one of them
>>
>>3085040
>No, it's a game about shooting bug aliens and saving the galaxy from their bug alien tyrant leader

yeah just like virtua cop is a game where you play as a cop and you're supposed to shoot everybody no matter who they are

oh wait

>You don't have to save a single tribal until their leader decides that sending you on a fucking scavenger hunt

you can save the tribals from the very start of the game if you want

and how is it a scavenger hunt? the tribals aren't very hard to find in JFG's mostly linear levels

>You are the worst kind of faggot.

no what i'm saying is that if you don't like the CORE of what the game is you probably don't actually like the game as a game

not that you can't like individual aspects like the graphics, music, etc
>>
File: JFGp.jpg (45 KB, 478x348) Image search: [Google]
JFGp.jpg
45 KB, 478x348
>>3085057

I find that the core of the game is actually the shooting aspect, most of the time you will be shooting at bugs.

The exploration/tribal rescuing factor is there from the beginning but it takes more prominence at the end. At first you can't even rescue all the tribals because some of them require you to get the jetpack, which you get once you get to Mizar's Palace with all 3 characters.
The first 10 or so hours of the game you will spend playing it just like a third person shooter with some mild exploraton and platforming segments, but still mostly a shooter.
The second half of the game increases the exploration part since you have to look for all the tribals and also the ship parts.
I understand how it can get tedious, what I did was, I stopped playing the game for a while once I got to the 2nd half of the game, then returned many months later and started playing all the levels again. Since I haven't played it in a while, I didn't remember many of them so it was fun, and also unlocked new levels.
I think the tribal collecting isn't really that bad of a thing, but what was bad is that it's mandatory in order to fight the final boss, same for the ship parts. They should have allowed you to go fight Mizar, and maybe add an extra ending if you get a 100% completion.
But all in all, I think the game has way more good than bad things.
>>
>>3085057
>Virtua Cop
has nothing to do with the discussion, and I'm baffled as to why you keep coming back to it. Lightgun shooting galleries have basically always had hostages and innocents that you aren't supposed to shoot as a game mechanic, both to add challenge and prevent the player from just wildly shooting at everything without having to think. JFG isn't a lightgun game, and you don't get penalized for killing tribals. They're basically little furry collectables that have no impact on the game until right until the very end. You can save them from the start, but you don't have to, and many you physically cannot reach until later in the game.

Collecting tribals is not the core of the game. shooting things is the core of the game. If something were the core of the game, you wouldn't be able to complete 90% of the game while ignoring it completely. Rare just made an incredibly stupid decision to punish anyone who isn't a completionist by preventing them from actually finishing the story, and the game suffers because of it.
>>
>>3085080
>JFG isn't a lightgun game, and you don't get penalized for killing tribals

kill them and you have to restart the level or it will never be a "perfect run"

>They're basically little furry collectables that have no impact on the game until right until the very end.

you mean the very middle (or actually before the middle) of the game which is exactly when you are told they are important

you literally have NO STORY REASON TO DO ANYTHING other than collect tribals after the middle

there is no point visiting all of those extra planets that get unlocked then because there is no reward for completing them, the whole fucking point of the game game is about saving tribals

> If something were the core of the game, you wouldn't be able to complete 90% of the game while ignoring it completely. Rare just made an incredibly stupid decision to punish anyone who isn't a completionist by preventing them from actually finishing the story, and the game suffers because of it.

what is chaos emeralds

what is secret exits

no the fact is that most people who pick up JFG are weaksauce hipsters (most likely because they have been babified by other N64 games) and when the game actually asks them to meet a challenge they go HUH??? NO FAIR!!!!!
>>
>>3085091

>most people who pick up JFG are weaksauce hipsters (most likely because they have been babified by other N64 games

And there goes any sort of seriousness your arguments could have had. You just want to console war.

I liked JFG, and I was always an idort, back then I was also playing PS1 and Saturn (and PC). JFG was still a great game.
If you want to argue about things you didn't like, fine, but throwing out words like "hipsters" or "babified by other N64 games" just throws any of your arguments to the trash.
>>
>>3085095
most games in that generation babified gamers not just on N64 dude
>>
File: Kenwashio.jpg (145 KB, 1280x1318) Image search: [Google]
Kenwashio.jpg
145 KB, 1280x1318
ANYWAY.

I was watching this video the other day, pretty interesting if you like to know more about JFG's conception

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcjUkm53xq8

I thought it was pretty cool that one of the inspirations for the game was Gatchaman. I realized how Juno's helmet is in fact very Gatchaman-ish.
>>
>>3080826
It's a Rare game, so it's garbage
>dat 90s proto-western/anime aesthetic
Fucking vomit inducing
>>
>>3081020
First post nailed it.
>>
>>3085080
Au contraire the only stupid decision Rare made was letting players progress to the next level without rescuing all the tribals on the one before it.

There would have been less bitching that way.
>>
>>3085131
>Au contraire

m'lady

>There would have been less bitching that way.

No I think this anon nailed it >>3085065

>I think the tribal collecting isn't really that bad of a thing, but what was bad is that it's mandatory in order to fight the final boss, same for the ship parts. They should have allowed you to go fight Mizar, and maybe add an extra ending if you get a 100% completion.
>>
>>3081857
the Devs knew that they couldn't fit longer/more complex levels onto the N64 limited cart so they forced you to collect different set of things (bananas, jigsaw peaces, coins, stars, hostages, whatever) or backtrack a lot or both.

It's not a challenge, it's a chore like grinding in rpgs.
>>
>>3085179
arcade games don't have much content (just a couple of levels) and yet are not bound by a lack of storage space

it's because they are about mastering the content that IS there, not padding shit out

JFG has taken this old school approach

also implying the game is a 'coilectathon' is one of the laziest memest things ever considering each level doesn't have very many tribals, they aren't very well hidden, and they are usually all bunched together

tribals are literally a measure of your aptitude of playing a level, getting them all is like getting a "perfect" on the status score screen of an arcade game

i bet you are a 6th genner for not understanding arcade culture / old school games
>>
>>3080826
I have all the Expert levels for the Floyd missions.
>>
>>3080826
Bretty gud. Closest to a Metroid we ever got on an N64. Collecting the tribals was management but really should have been easier. Could have just done what they did with ever other game that make and given you medals for 70, 80, 90 and 100% and let you face the boss when you have one for each planet. Would have been so much nicer.
>>
File: jfg.gif (645 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
jfg.gif
645 KB, 500x373
What was your favorite track in the game?

I really love this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i0zMEYmO4E
>>
>>3088483
This one sounds like straight out of Medal of Honor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85V9hDCFCsE
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.