[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you beaten the original Super Mario Bros? Up until yesterday,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 15
File: Super Mario Bros. (JU) [!]-1.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario Bros. (JU) [!]-1.png
3 KB, 256x224
Have you beaten the original Super Mario Bros?

Up until yesterday, I would've told you I never did it, but I buckled down really working at it and I've come up with a strategy and have since been able to beat the game several times consistently in a row. I've found that the game really isn't hard until you get to world 8.

I mastered the 3-1 1-up trick so that if I have any problems with world8 I can grind through it without a game over. I make sure to absolutely gain/hold onto a fire flower at 8-3 because I've deemed 8-4 basically impossible without it as the hammer bro and bowser throwing hammers at the end is tremendously difficult to get past without just killing them with fireballs. That's where the surplus of lives come in, if I have trouble with the hammer bros on 8-3, I can grind at it until I have a fire flower although the more times I do 8-3 the easier it becomes learning their patterns.
>>
>>3080037
Welcome to the playa's club playa. You made it.
>>
>>3080037

1. Having a fire flower is helpful sure but you can definitely beat 8-4 without it. It's just an issue of timing (Anticipate when the hammer bro is going to jump and then run). The hammer throwing bowser isn't hard at all, there's a dead zone where he can't hit you right in front of him, then when he jumps just run underneath him.

2. I've never needed to stock up on lives. Lives are fairly easy to get, just collect coins.
>>
i've played it so many times that I can play through each level (no warp zones) without dying. I can't beat 2j though.
>>
>>3080045
Beat every smb up to 16 bit. Haven't beat lost levels with Luigi though. Might give it a try someday.
>>
>>3080043
>Anticipate when the hammer bro is going to jump and then run

The thing is though, you have to anticipate that way ahead of time because you need to gain a lot of momentum to run under the hammer bro in time and meanwhile he's chucking a million hammers at you. I couldn't handle it.
>>
>>3080056

You really don't have to gain that much momentum. You just need good reaction speed.
>>
the question isn't can you beat mario 1

the question is can you beat mario 1 without warp pipes and save states.

let alone mods, like kaizo.
>>
>>3080068
reaction speed is right, the timing would be tight I imagine. I know when I tried to just run under him he landed on my head (I was right next to him and was holding B)

Another thing that I noticed that I never really noticed before while playing Mario 1 is the sick beat. We all know the Mario song, but have you really listened to the background beat of the song? You could use that beat in some killer gangster rap. I couldn't get over the scratch beat, it's so good. It's fucking FIRE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT3NA5Q08mk

>>3080096
I did not use save states and went through all the levels.
>>
>>3080037
Once, i have no idea how.
>>
>>3080098
Like just run at him before he starts throwing hammers
>>
>>3080098
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44MyrH4jwOQ
>>
>>3080037
I get bored around 2-3 and quit. I don't like to do the warps either
I doubt I'll ever beat it
>>
>>3080037
Yes I have. It was very fulfilling and a lot of fun to play without warp zones.
>>
People have trouble beating this game? How? It's fucking easy.
>>
>>3080212
The controls aren't that great.
>>
>>3080212
Yeah, you basically just hold right and jump when prompted. There's less depth to SMB1 than most rhythm games lol
>>
>meme-thread
>>
>>3080037
Get gud scrub
>>
>>3080037
What compels /vr/ autists to post long winded bullshit like this?

Hm yes, quite. Let us have an intellectual discussion about 3-1.
>>
File: SuperMarioBrosMap3-1.png (19 KB, 3584x720) Image search: [Google]
SuperMarioBrosMap3-1.png
19 KB, 3584x720
>>3080242

I have alwaays found it very odd that when you had a fire flower and stood on the second stair after coming out of the pipe in 3-1, you would shoot in a volley. Mario does not do that at any other spot.
>>
>>3080252

i meant third stair, did not look at picture... you can kill the incoming goombas very easy that way
>>
>>3080252
You're banned, bitch.
See ya
o/
>>
>>3080252
>feel free to send a donation
>copy pasting and screenshots r hard wurk gaize BibleThump
>>
>>3080215
this

game is practically impossible because of the controls, anyone who says they beat it without save states is full of shit
>>
>>3080274
it's not impossible. you just have to learn to play it.
>>
>>3080274
It's incredibly easy without save states and the controls are fine.

Why does everyone here suck at games?
>>
>>3080274

Tell 8 year old me that dipshit lmfao

btw, I've never heard anyone say the controls in SMB1 are shit. In my opinion they're the best in the series. Mario has the most fluid physics and momentum. He's not too floaty, he's more grounded and realistic. It might take a while to get used to but arguably it functions better than even SMB 3 and SMW.
>>
File: do it.gif (827 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
do it.gif
827 KB, 500x347
>>3080282
I can't believe you took bait that obvious.
>>
>>3080273

>not being an old shit like me who can't hardly read the squiggly lines in the corner
>>
>>3080284

Oh man you got me :^)

epic simply epic
>>
>>3080290
It wasn't me baiting it, you retard. I just can't believe you gave a post like that a serious reply.
>>
I've beaten smb1 fairly multiple times. the difficulty curve is set at just the right gradient, it slowly gets more intense but through world 6 it shouldn't be a problem. worlds 7 and especially 8 is where it gets nasty. the OP post has good advice. other than that, git gud.
>>
>>3080273
Hell I'm sure the "work" they did was already in a Nintendo Power somewhere.
>>
Dude ive beaten it so many times from testing rom hacks alone, how did it take you this long?
>>
>>3080037
I was 5 when i finished it.
You needed a strategy.
nice
>>
SMB is not a tremendously difficult game once you get the hang of the controls. I can breeze through the game now after playing the game so many times since I was a kid.
SMB2j is another story.

Also

>playing SMB1 with friends
>we take turns, 1 level or 1 life
>they start dying a lot by 1-3
>I keep beating every level and they eventually don't want to play anymore since they suck really bad at it

Jesus.
>>
>>3080362
beating 1-4 isn't beating the game.
>>
I've beaten the game with shortcuts a million times. Never beat it once without shortcuts. Probably should.
>>
File: VS.SMB[1].png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
VS.SMB[1].png
3 KB, 256x224
Step it up, Plebs.
>>
>>3080242
>long winded
It's three fucking paragraphs, dude. Just because you have the attention span of a five-year-old doesn't mean everyone else does.
>>
I haven't beaten it. I always get stuck on 8-3 because of hammer bro spam.

That having been said, if you used an infinite lives trick or the continue code or warp zones, can you really say you've "beaten" the game? Sure you made it to the ending, but that doesn't feel like a win to me.
>>
>>3080543
Yes let's arbitrarily restrict ourselves from using advantages included in the game, then we'll beat it 'proper' like our dev overlords commanded us to.
>>
>>3080558
>advantages included in the game
>not save states
guess you like wasting time and repeating parts
>>
>>3080558

They're generally referred to as "cheat codes" so I look at it as cheating. Do you have to respond so passive aggressively?

>>3080561

All time spent playing games is wasted, but it's leisure time, anon.
>>
>>3080572
The infinite lives trick is a glitch. Glitches aren't the same thing as cheat codes. For one, cheat codes are literally called cheating.
>>
>>3080572
Also warp pipes aren't a cheat code either lmao.
>>
>>3080581

It's a glitch that can be exploit it, so I consider it cheating. I'll concede on warp pipes though. Anyway, I'd still recommend trying to beat the game without using any of these some time. It really makes you pay attention to collecting as many coins as possible and playing better. I think it can be fun to challenge yourself that way.
>>
>>3080651

That can be exploited* sowwy I'm sleepy.
>>
File: al2783332.gif (476 KB, 200x199) Image search: [Google]
al2783332.gif
476 KB, 200x199
>have old, fucked-up nes
>put in smb
>graphics are so glitched i can see where all the hidden blocks are
>>
I got up to 7-2 or 7-4 and then my parents kicked me off

I really should get back to it some day
>>
>>3080401
This. The latter stages of SMB are just hardened versions of the early stages VsSMB replaced the easy versions with the hard versions early and adds the best designed stages from SMB2j as the later stages with the added benefit of closing the infinite lives glitch.

Beat that

preferably at 25 cents a game
>>
>>3080037
I just played it and beat the game, no strategy needed, just skills.
>>
File: Powerjoyred.jpg (70 KB, 371x470) Image search: [Google]
Powerjoyred.jpg
70 KB, 371x470
>>3080037

Yes i have beaten it, and on a famiclone like this. Get on my level plebs
>>
>>3080037
I beat it with no warps and no 1-up farming (1-up farming defined as using the shell trick, or collecting multiple 1-ups and then dying and doing it again). It is a very good game, more fun than SMB3.
>>
>>3080401
Challenge accepted
>>
>>3080401
This is the true best Mario game.
>>
>>3080765
Fucking pleb call me when you beat vs. Super mario bros... On a dendy...
>>
>>3080716
Happened once for me too. Mind was blown.
>>
>>3080651
>It's a glitch that can be exploit it, so I consider it cheating.
This is straight up the dumbest thing I've heard all day.
>>
>>3080037
>not doing a no miss small mario three fireworks run of both loops
>>
>>3080723
Beating it with the VS cabinet joystick is the real challenge.
>>
>>3080037
In 25 years I've never gotten the 3-1 stairs trick to work. Just grab a fire flower and don't get hit is the best strategy.

>had fireballs half the game
>water section of Bowser's castle in 8-4
>take random hit from the shrimp chain

Panic set in but I made it through just running under him iirc.
>>
>>3080943
Well then you didn't even read this whole thread.

Thing is, the staircase shell thing isn't really even a glitch.
>>
>>3080215
>>3080274

The controls in SMB1 are rock solid, dipshits. It is the definition of perfect controls.
>>
>>3080964

I've never gotten the 3-1 trick to work either. I've beaten the game without warps literally hundreds of times, and I still can't do that 1-up trick.

Everyone else makes it look so easy. I just can't do it.
>>
>>3080983
It's actually hard and most of the people capable of doing it are also capable of beating the game without it.
>>
>>3080037
I have, multiple times.
>>
File: easy.jpg (47 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
easy.jpg
47 KB, 640x400
>>3080983
>>3080964
>>3080986
it's actually very easy
>>
>>3080037
Probably about 5 times. Not one of my favorite games but it's still good today.

I beat it without warps or saves. I'm not crazy good so I take my time through the levels
>>
>>3080943

>take advantage of something the devs didn't intend to get infinite lives
>not cheating

You could just say you disagree without the personal attack, anon-kun.
>>
File: peach.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
peach.png
3 KB, 256x224
Peach was a loli in the first game
>>
>>3081235
Either that or mario was fucking huge.
>>
File: hqdefault[7].jpg (12 KB, 411x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[7].jpg
12 KB, 411x360
>>3081257
>>3081235
They made her in between the size of big and small Marios
>>
>>3081265
that's actually real fucking funny
>>
>>3081235
Mario was just a big guy
>>
File: meme.jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
>>3081296

Heheheh, hoo, oh man, I've been waiting all day for my chance to use this one. Sorry kid but you really set yourself up for this one. Heh. Hoo!
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 193x160) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 193x160
>>3081296
4u
>>
>>3081038
It's not cheating though. I'd argue that it's not even unintended. Collecting 1 ups by accumulating points is clearly an intended feature, and you can accumulate points by jumping on a shell over and over. I don't see any rules written anywhere that these features shouldn't be utilized in this way other than whiny faggots arbitrarily asserting so.
>>
One thing that's really cool about the original SMB is how scarce mushrooms and fire flowers are near the end of the game. If you're fire Mario on world 7 or 8 you really want to conserve that power up. You might not find another buffer between you and death for quite awhile.

I really wish the other Mario games were more stingy like that near the end. It made for awesome tense moments.
>>
>>3081624
Since they didn't fix it for any release, they must not consider it bad.
>>
>>3080980
>perfect
>only 60fps
>low resolution
"Perfect" controls would require 1000s of fps and 8K+ resolution. This is unrelated to graphical quality, it could use simple NES style pixel art if you allowed "misaligned" sprites/layers. The only games with literally perfect control are physical pinball machines in good condition.
>>
File: 1452744610328.gif (515 KB, 400x308) Image search: [Google]
1452744610328.gif
515 KB, 400x308
>>3081834
>>
SMB, yes.

Lost Levels? Jesus, my thumbs hurt thinking about it. And no.
>>
>>3080037
Seriously who hasn't beat this game it's almost the first step into becoming a gamer
>>
>>3080980
>The controls in SMB1 are rock solid, dipshits. It is the definition of perfect controls.

Nah, they are WAY too floaty.
>>
>>3080037
I can beat SMB - but after 20 years I still can't pull off the unlimited lives trick.
>>
>>3082427
>floaty
2016 and people who suck at games still don't understand why momentum is a good thing.
>>
>>3082427
They're less floaty than the more modern Mario games.
>>
>>3081770
q.v. VsSMB
>>
>>3080581
>The infinite lives trick is a glitch. Glitches aren't the same thing as cheat codes. For one, cheat codes are literally called cheating.

The coders implemented that you get more and more points for stoming enemies in a row until you get extra lives.

There is no place in the entire game where you could gain a single extra life except these koopas on stairs.

So they must have had that trick in mind when programming this game.
>>
>>3082743

not true, iirc there's a level where you kick a koopa shell and it hits lots of enemies in a row, and if you're fast enough, you can get 1 or 2 1ups by the end of the run.
>>
>>3082743
Why is it important at all what the devlopers "had in mind"?

Quake devs didn't have bunnyhopping in mind.

Tribes devs didn't have skiing in mind.

Features are features whether they are intended or not. It's not cheating to use the tools you are given. Sorry that your precious childhood game isn't designed as well as you wish it was.
>>
>>3082760
Yes but thats not the same as getting 1-ups by jumping on them you simpleton.
>>
>>3082765
>Sorry that your precious childhood game isn't designed as well as you wish it was.

Your post is mostly right and I agree, but was it necessary to add that shitty passive-aggressive line at the end? It kind of ruins your whole post.
>>
>>3082793

except it follows the same pattern of higher points to a 1-up, which contradicts this:
>There is no place in the entire game where you could gain a single extra life except these koopas on stairs.

which means they didn't necessarily program it with the 1-up trick in mind, retard.
>>
>>3082765
>Tribes devs didn't have skiing in mind.

Nice revisionist history there, kiddo.
>>
>>3082804
>>3082804
I didn't revise shit. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me. Skiing in the original Starsiege: Tribes was a straight up exploitation of the game's engine. It turned out to be such a successful mechanic that the devs took note and included watered down variations of it in the later games.
>>
>>3082801
>but was it necessary to add that shitty passive-aggressive line at the end?

Yup. Being as big a dick as about anything possible is his schitck.
>>
>>3082820
>Skiing in the original Starsiege: Tribes was a straight up exploitation of the game's engine.

In was discovered in playtesting. They tweaked to improve it like that in the first game, pre-release. We all knew about skiing before the game even came out, it was a selling feature.
>>
>>3081834
Unfortunately all the pinball machines near where I live are in very poor condition and only run at about 20fps
>>
>>3082845
Man I fucking hate that. The worst is when it's a really crappy old one from the 70s and it doesn't even keep a consistent frame rate anymore. Starts fine then suddenly drops to like 10fps, you can't hit shit and surprise you lost your ball. It's from years of all those fucking kids knocking them.
>>
Which version of SMB3 should I try to beat? NES or SMAS? I've "beaten" the SMAS version, but it doesn't count because I always skip World 7 and that one fortress in World 8. Also, apparently the NES version doesn't have a save function and that's just really cheap.
>>
Using the warps, I have beat smb1 in a few seconds less than 5 min. If you just hold b and run and get the timing right on the jumps, you can practically just run right thru the game. Everyone talking about the hammer bros in 8-3 need to stop being such hesitant pussies. Btw, this is like the easiest game ever created
>>
>>3082873
>I have beat smb1 in a few seconds less than 5 min
Only 4 people in the world have done that. Which one are you? Can you explain the numerous frame perfect glitches used in the run?

http://www.speedrun.com/smb1

Pretty sure you're lying.
>>
>>3082875
4 people on record. Not everyone is a braggart.
>>
>>3082913
But the guy who made that post was bragging. Not only that but he clearly doesn't understand what is necessary to get a time like that.
>>
File: river kingi_38185.jpg (25 KB, 266x240) Image search: [Google]
river kingi_38185.jpg
25 KB, 266x240
>>3082925
If you're ever going to grow into a big strong fish, you're going to have to learn to recognize bait.
>>
>>3080372
nice comeback nigger,you are still retarded
>>
>>3082801
It wouldn't be 4chan without it
>>
>>3082869
It doesn't really matter

I only went all the way through SMB3 NES on Virtual Console so I didn't have to do it all in one sitting, it's possibly easier than warping straight to World 8 anyway.
>>
Beating SMB in less than 6 minutes is good already and very possible with some training.

I did that to see if you can beat SMB on the NWC cartridge (no I do not own an original cartridge), and yes it's possible.
>>
>>3082969
>Beating SMB in less than 6 minutes is good already and very possible with some training.
Sub 6 is easy. Sub 5 is extremely difficult and requires glitches.
>>
>>3080037
If you haven't beaten smb without save states and warp zones you literally have no place on this board. That should be vr's screening filter 2bh. Shitters be gone, this means you.
>>
>>3080098
>I did not use save states and went through all the levels.
But you cheated with the 1up exploit. Doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>3083008
>But you cheated with the 1up exploit.
>Waaah if you don't arbitrarily restrict yourself from using mechanics included in the game you're a cheater, waaaah.
>>
>>3083004
lol get fucked. I've never ever liked the Mario games and no way I'm going to beat them just to appease Nintendo kids.
>>
>>3083012

there's a difference between using mechanics and using exploits as a crutch. there are a number of games where you can farm for 1-ups, which makes it easier if you're playing casually. but if you use training wheels like that, it really diminishes the accomplishment of beating the game.

beating smb1 with no warps, savestates or glitches/exploits is something a competent gamer should be able to do.
>>
>>3083043
>if you use training wheels like that, it really diminishes the accomplishment of beating the game.
Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's cheating.

>beating smb1 with no warps, savestates or glitches/exploits is something a competent gamer should be able to do.
Funny you should say this, because all of the best speedrunners of this game, and thus the best SMB1 players on earth, say the glitches are the hardest part, and that the running and jumping is really quite trivial in comparison.
>>
>>3083052
it's true that glitching through walls is difficult to pull off. speedrunning is a different ballgame. of course, whether it's tool assisted makes a big difference.

that's beside the point, the point is to face the challenge of the game the way it's intended. it's not technically cheating, but having effectively infinite lives makes it too easy.
>>
>>3083058
You and I have different values entirely. I don't give a shit how a develeoper wants to pidgeonhole my gameplay. I play games the way I find them the most fun. Sometimes this makes easy games harder, and other times this makes hard games easier. No matter what the outcome is, I still find this way more interesting than playing games exactly how the developer tells me to. There's more replay value in breaking games than there is in beating them.
>>
>>3083064

I don't think experimenting with a game and pushing it's limits is some kind of terrible thing that merits committing seppuku. I've done that too.
with that said, playing through the game the way it's intended, without tricks that break the balance, is an important part of the challenge. beating the game after farming lives is not the same accomplishment as beating it without farming.
>>
>>3083058
ironically enough, using the infinite lives trick made it much more convenient to practice and learn the entire game, and now i can beat it without using warps, without dying even once, and without putting forth mental effort of any kind.
>>
>>3083084

well, advantages like that and savestates can definitely help you learn the game. I've done that to some extent, but not drilling to the point of playing all the way through without effort. for me that would take away the fun, kinda like listening to a song too many times on repeat.
>>
>>3082803
>whole post
correct
>retard
also correct
>>
>>3082875
Wow I never even knew that it was that big of a deal...I was using original equipment and it took me a lot of tries to do it without dying but I'm not bragging and it really isn't that big of a deal. Just run the whole time and hit the jumps, seriously wtf. It's not like I did something that mattered.. I wasted a few hours of my life one day trying and succeeding on a perfect run..
>>
>>3083285
Now you're bragging.
>>
>>3083285
I'm not surprised. Once you can watch a video of exactly how something is done, it helps a lot in doing it yourself.

Penn Jillette talks about this in a roundabout way. The kids who are learning juggling now by watching youtube videos are learning far faster and better than anyone did when he was learning. Certain things like juggling many clubs, or different types of objects that used to be very rare skills are almost commonplace. It's really fascinating.

By comparison, speedrunning mario is fairly simple. You have to learn the rhythm of just when to jump very precisely, but for anyone who played guitar hero or similar rhythm games it wouldn't take a ton of practice.
>>
>>3083285
Explain the glitches that are required to get sub 5 minutes. Because it can't be done without said glitches.
>>
>>3083285
Anyone even remotely familiar with top level SMB1 speedrunning knows what you are saying is impossible. Sub 5 cannot be done in a day, nor can it be done without very specific and precise glitches.
>>
>>3083285
why are you dancing around the questions he asked?
>>
>>3083285
you're clearly full of shit and have no idea what the strats are lmao.
>>
>>3083386
I didn't say I just started playing smb1 that day, I've probably played it a million times. And after watching the fastest run and seeing the "official" rules on that speedrun.com who knows.. +/- a sec or so. After watching the video tho I can honestly say that I ran 8-4 and the end of 8-3 faster than him, he did some other things I've never seen before. So I will admit that my claim of running it in sub 5 was with completely original hardware and cart and and done with stopwatch. I need to get it setup like that dude and stream that shit so I can make this official. I know what I did and it is by no means speedtest.com official, but all I'm really trying to say is the game is easy, just run and jump bros
>>
>>3083524
nobody believes you. get proof or fuck off.
>>
>>3083537
I'll fuck off. But hopefully everyone on this board knows smb is easy as fuck. Seriously.
>>
>>3080215
They're pretty good compared to Jet Set Willy and some other 8-bit computer stuff I played before I got NES.
Hmm, can't even remember if I ever did finish JSW... Sure did play it a lot though.
Anyway, yeah I did finish SMB 1 and 2, and quite a lot other NES games, even "hard" ones like Ninja Gaiden and Milon's Secret Castle. The main one that stands out as unfinished is Deadly Towers. Wasn't my cart though, just borrowed from a friend. Maybe with more time...
>>
>>3083559
nobody said it wasn't easy, but sub 5 is literally impossible without multiple very specific glitches and you have thus far failed to identify any of them.
>>
>>3083524
>So I will admit that my claim of running it in sub 5 was with completely original hardware and cart and and done with stopwatch.
the only sub 5 runner who doesn't use original hardware is i_o_l, who runs on a cycle accurate emulator.
>>
Darbian, the world record holder, is streaming

check it out twitch tv darbian
>>
>>3083821
playing lost levels. nice.
>>
does anybody got a link to the video of some guy using arbitrary code injection to reprogram super mario world into the original super mario bros?

the one i bookmarked got taken down
>>
>>3080037
>I mastered the 3-1 1-up trick
Great. Not try doing the 1-up trick at the helmet guy world 7-1 stairs.

Real man do their 1-up trick there
>>
I think the 1-up-trick is okay. It is like the Konami-code.

It gives you more chances while other games have endless continues, but it does not make the gameplay easier.
>>
>all these people saying they've "beaten" the game when they have infinite lives from the one up trick
>when they're called out they just make excuses instead of owning up and trying to beat it without the trick

Why so mad?
>>
Yeah, it was probably the very first game I ever played back when I was 3 years old. Beat it several times in my childhood. Mario 3 was a lot tougher and I only remember beating that one a couple of times.
>>
>>3084501
>it was probably the very first game I ever played back when I was 3 years old. Beat it several times in my childhood. Mario 3 was a lot tougher and I only remember beating that one a couple of times.

Is it more legit to beat the game with infinite lives or with the level warp?

Is is legit if you beat games with continues to use them?
>>
>>3084509

This is just my personal opinion, but I think that continues should only be used if you don't need a secret code to use them. Having unlimited continues via a trick is no different from unlimited lives via a trick.
>>
>>3084509

If it was originally put in the game and accessible without cheat codes, then it's fair to me. I use the whistle sometimes when I'm lazy and wanna skip some of the more boring worlds.
>>
>>3080524
You respond the same way every time I call you long winded, autist.
>>
>>3083576
Not him, but anyone watching a youtube video of someone doing a sub 5 run would learn those very specific glitches just as part of the process of the speedrun. This isn't the same as working out a speedrun on your own, it's looking how one is done and trying it yourself.

It really all comes down to knowing just when to hit the buttons, if he's been shown ahead of time when do to that then it's all just timing and rhythm. It really doesn't surprise me all that much.
>>
>>3084896
>Not him, but anyone watching a youtube video of someone doing a sub 5 run would learn those very specific glitches just as part of the process of the speedrun
as someone who is very familiar with the run, this is just not true. you can't figure out frame rules from watching a video of the run, you can't figure out the correct RNG manipulation for the bullet bill flagpole glitch (which involves waiting a specific amount of time at the title screen) and you can't figure out how to push forward your x coordinate for the pixel perfect wrong warp in 4-1. this isn't stuff you can learn without at least being instructed on how they are performed and practicing them to some degree.
>>
>>3084930
not to mention that it takes even the best players in the world thousands of attempts to achieve sub 5. this isn't something you sit down and do in an afternoon after watching a youtube video. jesus christ the naivety and arrogance of you people is astounding sometimes.
>>
>>3084930
I stand corrected then. If doing it involves things that would be impossible to learn from a youtube video and it takes personal trial and error that's a much bigger undertaking.

I was speaking off the top of my head, I haven't watched any speedrun videos ever and also never bothered to beat any of the Mario games anyways.
>>
>>3084935
>If doing it involves things that would be impossible to learn from a youtube video
you could learn this stuff from a youtube video if that youtube video was a tutorial that went into great detail about every trick, but there's no way you could learn any of that shit from just watching a run. especially not in one afternoon.
>>
>>3084943
That's cool then. I was mostly going off this >>3083301 having heard about how things like youtube have accelerated certain kinds of learning more than we're used to. And I'm a bit of an old fart so this stuff is interesting to me.

But also like I say, I've never given a fuck about either speedrunning or Mario so whatever.
>>
If anyone wants to know how the run actually works, as opposed to arrogantly assuming you know anything about it, here's a 2 hour tutorial by the world record holder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PInZ2-qfKEU
>>
>>3084490
Well the Konami code is legitimately a cheat because you have to know about it from an outside source and input it at the start, there's no way around it. Doing 1-up tricks is built into the natural game and is easy to figure out.
>>
>>3080037
Yeah I beat it. The hammer bros in world 8 still get me.

Next try the Lost Levels.
>>
Did Arino ever beat SMB1? I know he tried 2j very early on but didn't make it far.
>>
>>3080098
>You could use that beat in some killer gangster rap
Funny you should say that
https://youtu.be/jzMhcP7ab3k
>>
>>3080037
As a kid I only ever beat it with shortcuts because SMB3 was way more interesting.

A year or so ago I made an attempt to go through without warping and did it on the first try without continues. And I realized why everybody warps. Most of the game feels very samey and gets boring fast and has been outdated by every single sequel including SMB2 (The Lost Levels), which does huge variations and introduces all kinds of new things each level, better exploring the mechanics of original SMB.
>>
Never made it to the final bowser but my high score was around 520,000
>>
File: 1456527193431.gif (26 KB, 387x432) Image search: [Google]
1456527193431.gif
26 KB, 387x432
>>3080242

>Why do people try to have legitimate discussion about retro games on a retro game board?

Why are you so fucking stupid?
>>
>>3080037
It's next on my list. I have made it to 4-2 without warps so far but I fully intend to beat it. Was just getting a feel for the controls at first. Off topic, but I'm trying to beat Earthworm Jim and it is kicking my ass right now. So much fucking fun though.
>>
>>3080037
I've done it with warps and the continue code but beating without those is still on my bucket list.
>>
>>3083019
>I've never ever liked the Mario games
literally a shitter, there's no saving you
>>
Beat it when I was like six on the All-Stars version (which I know has fucked up physics but I've beaten the NES version as well years later).

Lost Levels is the real challenge.
>>
>>3080964
Same. I played that NES Remix shit on Wii U and one of the challenges was doing the 1-Up trick, took me like half an hour to get it and that's with what's essentially a save state right before the turtle.
>>
>>3080964
>>3086582
Also they put a neat easter egg relating to the trick in a later game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24kqAazCuw
Not retro but relevant enough to mention.
>>
>>3082743
It's possible they just did it to do it. Donkey Kong Country 1 has the same thing programmed in and you can only get it in spots with a lot of respawning enemies, and that game doesn't even have points so you wouldn't be jumping on multiple enemies in a row for the sake of points.
>>
>>3080043
>>3080056
>>3080068
I use to run under him, but now I just stand on the left edge of the pipe closest to him, run and jump over him. Just stand next to him on the right side and wait for him to pause on those hammers (and don't hit the goddamn fireball when you jump over the pit of lava).
>>
This is going to sound very elitist, but I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed at just how many people here haven't beaten the game without warps. I dont consider myself all that great at videogames and yet I have done it many times. It's sad because my favorite worlds (3 and 5) are skipped over by most players it seems. I think a board focused on retro games, should be able to do something as basic as complete all 8 worlds of SMB.

I'd even be fine if you used the "start from the first level of the world trick" but it seems like most of you haven't even done that.
>>
>>3081235
Erm...Peach is blonde.Princess Toadstool is redhead.
>>
>>3086816
It's actually a really boring game so I'm not surprised.

I mean, I've done it, but it wasn't fun and I don't feel like I would've missed out on anything if I hadn't done it.

>>3086821
Princess Toadstool and Peach are the same person. She is called both in Super Mario 64.
>>
>>3080096
It goes without saying that it only counts if it's without mods or state saves. Don't know why would you even brought this up.
>>
>>3086493
>If you don't like what's popular you're a shitter

Thanks /vr/ for more wonderfully insightful comments. I've always found platform games very boring to play.
>>
File: M 001.jpg (63 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
M 001.jpg
63 KB, 630x630
Lol, back-in-the-day, me and my brother could beat every single level (no warps) in under 8 min. Good memories :)
>>
>>3086128
Well that and if you want to get really technical it could be a discussion on proper game and level design as a whole.
Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.