[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Convince me that beat 'em up games are more than two button
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: nes_tmnt_ii_arcade_game.jpg (107 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
nes_tmnt_ii_arcade_game.jpg
107 KB, 1600x1066
Convince me that beat 'em up games are more than two button borefests with only one useful attack that you have to spam the entire game
>>
>>3077118
I can't, I completely agree with you. I must admit I absolutely love this one not retro however.
>>
I like them alright, but they strike me as the arcade genre most likely to be intentionally designed as a quarter-muncher rather than something designed with a doable 1CC in mind.
>>
>>3077118
>>3077129
Git gud bitch
>>
>>3077118
>quit playing shit like TMNT
>try to 1cc at least one decent arcade beat 'em up
that's about it
>>
>>3077170
They're not hard once you know to abuse the one attack. It's just tedious. if you've played one level you've played them all
>>
>>3077118
River City Ransom had a pretty comfy/fun atmosphere. You could just have fun making some money and eating all kinds of different foods that increased your stats in various ways and you could buy new techniques and boots and weapons and stuff. It really had a lot to offer. It was fun to just enjoy that atmosphere and bust up gangs and save the girl at your leisure and all buffed or, "speccing" to play a certain way. Give it a chance, it's pretty fun.
>>
>>3077256
so did you 1cc one decent arcade game yet?
>>
>>3077284
Golden Axe so far.
>>
>>3077307
Golden Axe is semi-decent, too exploitable to be decent. so keep trying.
>>
>>3077308
>too exploitable to be decent
That's my fucking point. Beat 'em up games are like that
also, nice way to keep moving the goal posts. get a real argument
>>
>>3077316
I said 1cc a decent beat 'em up, you didn't.
>>
>>3077323
No true Scotsman. Nice try faggot. How about you support your claims instead of using rethorical escape valves
>>
>>3077352
i don't have to argue with scrubs that only 1cc'd a baby game
>>
Young faggots just don't understand beat 'em ups or fighting games at all.
>>
Most beat em ups are basically survival games.

You have to survive the onslaught of enemies with very little in terms of power ups and health pickups.

I generally find the genre to be a little boring and bland, because it mostly devolves into spamming your strongest skill (like Jump Kicks) and they usually feel like a slog because of the sheer number of enemies they throw at you.
>>
>>3077367
You've literally never 1cced a beat em up except probably a baby-mode game like Golden Axe 1. If you think that a jump kick is the strongest attack in any beat em up then you clearly have very little experience with the genre outside of Konami 4-6 player button mashers, because those are literally the only games where jump kicks are considered one of the strongest moves. So in other words you have no fucking clue what you're talking about, bitch.
>>
Even in the case of games where you're better off doing the same attack most of the time (I'm thinking Double Dragon 2 on NES with the knee attack, or TMNT2 with the 2 button special), there is still a lot more to the games.
There is positionning, learning enemies patterns, getting better and better. Every hit you take counts, if you play the games spamming randomly and not care of being hit, not trying to build a tactic, you're playing it wrong. It's all about trying to NEVER get hit, every hit counts. Until you can beat the game in a single life.
>>
>>3077354
Care to suggest some?
>>
It's like you kids never heard of D&D: Tower of Doom/Shadows over Mystara... Or Alien Vs Predetor... or Battle Circuit...

But if you wanted something more than just those then perhaps Beat 'em ups are not your cup of tea then.
>>
>>3077501
D&D ToD or Tenchi wo Kurau 2.
>>
>>3077118
They're also fun social experiences if you're able to find a friend to play with.
>>
>>3077556
Ah yes, I forgot about that. There is hardly any great video game feel as learning to rock at a co-op game with a friend who's as engaged as you are in the game. Learning to get better at it together.
>>
Renegade/Kunio is pretty good about requiring you to use a variety of moves.
>>
>>3077124

10/10 game. But it's not a pure beat 'em up, in fact it doesn't really play like classic games like TMNT, SOR, etc, it's a side scroller with beat 'em up mechanics, platformer mechanics and shmup mechanics. It reminds me of Alien Soldier more than beat 'em up games.
>>
Shadow Force, Denjin Makai, Battle Circuit have a move set as expansive and varied as a fighting game of the time. You just have to let go of "hurr 1cc" mentality a bit and experiment with the gimmicky characters.
>>
>>3077354
Yet you came here solely to do just that. Congratulations
>>
>>3077118
Do you have a brother?
Have you ever had childhood?
have you ever been to the arcade?
Did you ever at some point in your life had a friend?

THEY ARE SCORE ATTACK YOU MISERABLE AUTIST
>inb4 they are not
WHAT IS TETRIS MOTHER FUCKER
>>
>>3077372
>missing the point
>>3077367
That's the best way to describe beat em ups, they're survival games.
>>
>>3077508
>D&D
One of the best beat em ups I ever played
>>
File: winners-dont-use-drugs.png (222 KB, 1342x671) Image search: [Google]
winners-dont-use-drugs.png
222 KB, 1342x671
>>3077118
Well, this specific game had a killer soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJ50TeiPn8&list=PLB0xooEkKbSY3-ALNUwBMJZ0E8nnqqQCF&index=10
>>
Would you all consider MK:Shaolin Monks a beat 'em up?
>>
>>3077118
BEU's are the perfect genre for a 20 minute game. Short and sweet, kick some ass and move on. But they almost always drag them out to an hour or more long. It's really disheartening to make it to the end and lose and have to start that slog all over.

>>3077907
Yes, and it gets a pass because it's long but also has save points, thank god.
>>
They aren't boring if you play with friends--- oh wait sorry op you have no friends.
>>
>>3077118
For starters: play a game that has more than 3 attacks in the first place (your pic: unrelated)

>>3077307
Also not Golden Axe

GA is fun but one attack runs the game. Same with Double Dragon. You don't even have to listen to the snotty arcade guy, just play Streets of Rage 2 (and don't pick Accel)

>>3078049
I have no idea why belt em ups are so damn long. Like what was the last level of Final Fight supposed to be?

>>3077907
That is a good game but it goes to show that every NOT RETRO punch scroller has to have XP and upgrades and other nonsense, you can juggle guys indefinitely with one move and grind for xp too.
>>
>>3077696
kek no it's not. There's one move that rules everything. And no it's not the jump kick.

t. resident Renegade Guru
>>
Revenge of Death Adder is great
So is Streets of Rage 2

I will agree with most of your points though, it is one of my least favorite genres
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.