[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Garage Sales
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: DSCN6672.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6672.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
Anyone go hunting at yard sales or Flea markets still? I went out today and didn't find anything. Not even some junk games. Went to like 12 sales. Last week I got a Vectrex though. And week before got some game gear, game boy and genesis stuff. Any cool finds lately guys? Or general garage sale / flea market talk.
>>
Quit going too much competition
>>
emulate, thx to youtube everything is expensive
>>
>>3075848
I've never had luck at garage sales, I remember I got to one once and when asking if they had videogames the guy said he had just sold all his stuff 10 min ago. I've had some luck at flea markets, got a snes for $7.00 once.
>>
>>3075963
pretty much this
>>
>>3075963
This, ruined all the fun of going
>>
>>3075848
I've never gotten anything from a garage sale worth a damn, but I live far from a major city.
>>
I got a PC-XT this week. Not really sure why i bought it but it has a really nice feeling keyboard.
>>
>>3075848
I've given up on finding retro stuff. I still do on occasion, but those are few and far between. Now I mainly look for PS2 stuff.
>>
Went to a Salvation Army store a while back, they had about 20 PS2 eye-toy games and nothing else.
Went to the markets and the only game store only sold PS2 onwards. I asked if he ever sold retro games and told me that those games are too expensive and hard to deal with before offering to mod my 360 for emulation.
When I lived in Toronto the markets still had some cool retro stores, but they weren't cheap, ditto a&c games which sold Saturn games for hundreds (a&c was great for playing VF5 though)
>>
>>3075848
I really should go try but I'm too lazy.

I feel like nowadays anyone who's spent any amount of time on the Internet and knows they have an old NES in the basement with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt thinks they struck fucking gold. Nothing pisses me off more than ignorant retards who think that their extremely popular games, mass produced across several contintnets, have some crazy high rarity and value.

Even looking through craigslist today is a nightmare.

>individually priced games
>people charging $15+ for extremely common NES carts
>people now charging $100 and up for an NES with Mario and 2 sports games
>Gamecube games never sell for less than $30 unless they're shit games
>good luck finding a good deal on SNES that isn't yellowed to shit
>good luck finding any SNES games at all for an acceptable price that aren't sports games or shovelware

This is the world we live in. Thanks Youtube.
>>
>>3076225
My neighbor has rock n roll racing but no SNES, wants $50 or an eighth of weed for it.
>>
>>3075848
Still do. Even though I have more than one of nearly everything I want I still like taking a look to see what's there. Sometimes I find something interesting I wasn't looking for. And of course I grab anything underpriced so resellers and hipsters can't.
>>
>>3076559
what do u do with the extras? Keep for trade or sell? Or hoard?
>>
Every regular fuck that's never played a video game before has heard of these incredibly rare NES games that are worth a fortune and decides to check online prices, then they usually take them to a pawn shop where retails buy them cheap, slap on a new sticker and say it's "near mint". Then some 20-something hipster buys it at its stupidly high price because he wants to relive his childhood or own retro things or something.

If you guys want to buy retro games now is the time. There is no bubble, and if there was then the games would be genuinely rare and collectible by that time. I would also recommend picking up cheap stuff like the original Xbox and PSP while you can because that stuff is going to go up in the next few years.
>>
>>3076623
Nobody cares about original Xbox and psp. The only people that will want those games ever are the 4 people that grew up with it
>>
>>3076667
Those systems were really popular and like any other system they had a ton of hidden gems that nobody bought

Nobody cares about them right now because they've all moved on to new handhelds. In ten years certain games will get pricey. Already some Xbox games like Call of Cthulhu and Orta are starting to go up.
>>
>>3076730
I would of thought anyone with an xbox would of softmodded it by now.
>>
>>3076761
Yeah, and the PSP has been hacked to shit and back but it's the collecting that keeps people buying. Dreamcast has spiked in the past couple years and piracy is a cinch.
>>
>>3076225

How dare someone not let me rip them off.
>>
when the hell did this crazy increase in price happened, i remember back in 2011 u could buy vidya for a few bucks, now people are asking over 30 for mario world and 200 for a loose copy of earthbound or chrono trigger, what the fuck
>>
you americans have it easy, come to europe and you have to pay up three times the reseller price for a game you have, like wind waker for the gamecube goes for 50-70euros
>>
>>3075942
This. Anything worth a damn is harvested by people looking for a profit. All it takes is one Google search and if the person sees a game on the internet selling for 15 and they can get that game and 10 others for 15 bucks at the garage sale then they're going to do it. It's so frustrating.

Living in a major city I have access to a bunch of different video game stores that sell pretty much any kind of games you can imagine. The only problem is that since it's a major city the rent for the retail space is expensive and that is reflected in the prices of all the games they own.
>>
>>3076623
>>3076730
If you really wanna play the speculation game and buy games that will be rare in the future, start buying up complete DS games. Now is the time.
>>
>>3076972
>How dare someone not let me rip them off

Yeah! Everyone should be buying Mario/Duck Hunt for $15 because that's what it's worth!
>>
>>3077485
Thanks Gamestop for deciding that game cases are worthless but they have room for tons of other bullshit merchandise.
>>
>>3077507

what do you mean, gotta get all the funko collectables
>>
>>3075963
>>3076041
>>3076052
May I ask why? I never ever go on youtube. I assume some e-celebs made videos about how retro games can be sold for good cash?
>>
Do thrift stores count? I tend to find Genesis games in the VHS section of my local Savers.
>>
>That guy who wants 200 bucks for a crappy NES
>>
>>3077786
But anon, it's v!nt@ge
>>
>>3077774
They got popular because of YouTube by channels such as AVGN, which started a domino effect of similar channels and channels that talk just about retro games, or at the very least mentions them a lot.
>>
>>3077485
I was gonna add DS but some of the RPGs are shooting up. Now is the time; same goes for cult classic late PS2 releases like Metal Slug Anthology or KoF '02 UM.
>>
>>3077953
What are the best Nintendo DS RPG's?
>>
>>3078003
the Dragon Quest 4-6 remakes
Final Fantasy 3 & 4 remakes
Chrono Trigger port (SENSING A PATTERN HERE)
The various pokeymans
Contact
The World Ends with You
FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

probably others, but that's just those I've played.
>>
>>3078003
In addition to what >>3078013 suggested
>front mission
>rondo of swords
>elebits: adventures of kai and zero
>solatorobo
>children of mana (seems this gets a lot of hate but I like it)
>the dark spire
>rune factory
>knights in the nightmare
>might and magic clash of heroes (puzzle RPG)
>phantasy star 0
>>
>>3078003
Radiant Historia is pretty good (and a bitchin' Yoko Shimomura OST), Rondo of Swords is a decent SRPG.
>>
that feel when ur too late to get a retro game from graigslist cause someone snatched it already and is now reselling it with ebay prices

no feel, this shit is fucked
>>
>>3075848
Vectrex is special like Virtual Boy without all that Nintendoo all over it and I was happy for you and your Vectrex last weekend even though you only got a "good" price not a steal or anything. For example I got mine for $6. I still go yard saling for exercise and for other rare vintage items that are less hot right now but when I buy vintage games now it's almost always more obscure stuff online. I'm building up a lot of 90s PC games from the wild though.

Tell me your experiences with the Vectrex? Have you achieved the kind of Berzerk scores that killed Jeff Dailey and Peter Burkowski and felt the exertion on your heart and mind?
>>
>>3078289
The Dark Spire is getting really expensive, and the Etrian Odyssey games are going up too.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>3078569
Hi, that is sick 6$ for vectrex. I have had some scores like that. Got a Snes and gameboy lot with some great titles ( Zelda, Act Raiser, couple Mario games, Pokemons, etc) for 10 bucks. Also a gigantic lot of N64, Genesis, Gameboy and ps3 stuff for 40 bucks. I also look for anything besides games too I'm interested in because obviously good game deals are hard to come by. I've honestly only played the vectrex a few times now and have showed it off to some friends so far. Still unsure if I wanna keep or sell to fund more games for my other collections ( n64, ps1, NES, Saturn, ps2) are main systems I collect for. Also play modern games on pc and ps4.
>>
>>3078623
There's nothing like playing a real Vectrex. If you're not into arcade type / second generation though you should get rid of it though. Sell it to one of your friends so you can still play it if you ever get the urge to have your eyes and fingers melted off.
>>
>>3076667
psp 3000s are not even that cheap on ebay now.
>>
>>3077485
>>3077953
>>3078585
It's easy to play the speculation game if you want to play it, and it isn't even hard to figure out what games you need to buy to play it.

Buy up the games catered toward weeaboos or with weeaboo cult followings, because those are the games that ALWAYS shoot up in price to absurd abmounts.
>>
>>3078864
DESU i would keep it. But I don't have any overlays. And the complete games with overlays r pretty expensive. Not sure how to print my own or where to get them cheap.
>>
I still do, personally I hate getting things online
>>
File: 1434051472572.jpg (99 KB, 450x601) Image search: [Google]
1434051472572.jpg
99 KB, 450x601
>>3079017
Same, prefer to even buy at retro stores. But it is a great feeling when you find something you wanted at a great bargain in the wild.
>>
>>3077525
That's a pop figure you degenerate
>>
>>3079559
I need the hatred of pop figures explained to me. I don't buy them myself, but they seem pretty harmless if you ask me.
>>
>>3080520
The issue that a lot of people have with them is pretty much what >>3077507 said. Gamestop throws out DS game cases whenever they get complete DS games in trades because they don't want to have them taking up space, but they have an entire section of the store dedicated to those pop figures or whatever. You can find those things pretty much anywhere comics/games/movies/any sort of media is sold. I realize they're probably good sellers, but the issue is that with game stop in particular they're taking up space in favor of actual games.
>>
>>3080650
>Gamestop throws out DS game cases whenever they get complete DS games in trades because they don't want to have them taking up space

That's reprehensible.
DS may not be retro for long time but I like the look and feel of their cases much more than other designs like DVD case PS2, CD case PS1 gen, cardboard box SNES, and VHS-like case Genesis.
>>
>>3080753
Yeah it's messed up. And it's all just so they can put loose DS carts in a small glass case and have maybe 1/5th the footprint that they'd be taking up in the store if they put them out complete. DS cases are in pretty high demand as well for DIY cases for GBA games, I've heard a lot of stories of people dumpster diving behind gamestop just to get all the DS cases that they toss.
>>
>>3080753
>>3080763
So in theory, could I go dumpster diving behind Gamestop and find some freebie DS cases?
>>
>>3077525
I mean, look at this shit.

No one will collect this rubbish in 10 years.
They will be filling landfills like the Furbies before them.
>>
>>3080763
I'm EUfag and now thanks to you I have solved the mystery of why the 90% of the USA DS games on ebay are without case.

My theories were:
- Are chinese repro.
- All American hate the cases.

The Gamestop in my area selling the ds games with the cases.
>>
>>3080790
Yes. It's also likely that you'll find games they weren't able to sell as well.
>>
>>3079038
What in the world is this thing?
>>
>>3081634
It would appear to be an interactive urinal which makes a game based on how hard you can pee onto a pressure plate.
>>
File: that wasn't meat.jpg (71 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
that wasn't meat.jpg
71 KB, 500x375
>>3075848
Blue Sheets, is that you?
Also, what a coincidence, I actually got Blast Corps recently as well.
As for actual garage sales, I've stopped going to them as much ever since scalpers and the like would go around and take everything even remotely substantial. I hope this season will be a turnover, as I plan to start getting up super-early and whatnot in hopes that I net myself hauls much like the last one I got a while back (where most of it was PS1 RPGs)
>>
>>3076667
>The only people that will want those games ever are the 4 people that grew up with it
yes anon, just like the dreamcast, saturn, and neo geo.
>>
>>3076225
Got a like new SNES out of some retro toy/game store, no yellow at all. Came with two like new controtros, for 50 bucks. Its not bad, nor is it the greatest steal ever.
>>
>>3075848
great find on skullmonkeys. snagged a copy at my local flea market a few years back, its going for like 30+ dollars now.
>>
>>3082029
Try 40+ loose, 60+ complete
>>
>>3082364
>Try 40+ loose, 60+ complete on my local ebay
>>
>>3082425
>local eBay
Nigga what
>>
i got a preposterously dope pachinko machine for 20 bucks at one the other day, good buy.
>>
>>3076223
A&C is the shit, sometimes pricy, but I back them hard.
>>
>>3082443
nice, congrats. Don't think I have seen too many of those in my area.
>>3082029
Thanks, thats an old pic have had the Skull Monkeys for years. Found at gsale for 1 dollar.
>>3081889
Yeah, just gotta keep consistent. I rarely miss saturday garage sales. Only go out about 3 hours usually from like 7 or 730 till like 11am. Have also found some great stuff later in the day ( I think most people garage sale in morning).
>>
>>3082442
eBaby is comparing local flea market prices to prices on the only place he knows to shop.
>>
File: coleco.jpg (59 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
coleco.jpg
59 KB, 720x540
>>3082841
i also hit up all the sales on the weekends, even if I don't find anything I got to drive around new places I might not have been and get a burger and a brew when we're done. i am in a backwoods podunk town so I'm hoping another find like this will happen.

see sign by trailer park
Anon: there's nuthin in there, nigga' I bet you
Retron: lets go anyways
>there's nothing good
Anon "got any old electronics or anything?"
Meth enthusiast: Just this. but someone is coming back for it.
Anon: how much?
Meth: $20 if he don't come back
Anon: $50 right now
Meth: It's yours!

missing the overlays and power supply, I've never even taken it out of the box.
>>
>>3084051
I hear a lot of stories about huge lots of colecovision stuff in the wild for cheap, maybe I need to hang around more trailer parks
>>
I still go but the only thing I find good deals on are PS2 games which are like 1 or 2 bucks each, even the really good ones. But that ain't retro.
Everything else I want I buy off ebay if it's reasonably priced.
>>
Bought an NES system with 2 controllers for $25 from a thrift shop and surprisingly it works. Pretty good deal for the day
>>
>>3086504
Still a good time to buy them up, because it's starting to happen to 6th gen too.
>>
>>3088389
no it's not
>>
>>3088396
Yes it is.
>>
File: Suikoden1_PS1_USBox.jpg (109 KB, 500x472) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden1_PS1_USBox.jpg
109 KB, 500x472
I actually got lucky last week and found Suikoden 1 for $1 at a flea market. Only thing that was missing from it was the instruction booklet, but the game runs perfectly fine.
>>
>>3088421
But the devs intended you to experience the game with the instruction booklet. you will ruin the game if you try to play it before buying one
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.