[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most of the visual problems of the PS1 stem from a lack of t
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: threads of fat.jpg (141 KB, 1280x480) Image search: [Google]
threads of fat.jpg
141 KB, 1280x480
Most of the visual problems of the PS1 stem from a lack of texture perspective correction. The dev of GPU bladesoft has posted videos showing his attempt at fixing this. But he has never released his plugin, nor source code. So we have no clue how he did this, or how effective this even is. But it seems to work in the videos. It would go a long way to reducing the visual errors seen in PS1 games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGnLRR9kyvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inFqJvEGGYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jglm4Jkkq5I

Other PS1 emulators, have implimented wide-screen, CPU over clocking, and GTE accuracy. Others are working on Z-buffer. PS1 emulation is nearly complete.
>>
>>3075098
Uh, you change perspective incorrect texturing to perspective correct texturing and you're done, right? I don't know the PSX graphics pipeline, but it's gotta be rudimentary, and the choice between these two methods is just one small interchangeable part of that pipeline.

I don't think many devs tried to account for the wobbly lines beyond solid shading when acceptable or increasing polygon density where they could spare it.
>>
>>3075104

Yet no dev has apparently ever thought about it or tried it aside from this guy. Yet he sits on his source.

Even if it's glitchy, opening source could mean others could perfect it or learn from it.
>>
>>3075098
Too bad the dev of gpubladesoft doesn't care that his shit doesn't work right on the OS line used by 95% of people
>>
>>3075107
>Yet no dev has apparently ever thought about it or tried it aside from this guy.
>opening source
There's another dev working on that currently, and he actually plans on releasing the source, he's the same guy that also implemented the recent improvements to the beetle PSX core in RA (IRx ,subpixel precision and OC)
>>
>>3075127

texture correction? If some otehr dev can try to replicate that, then i'd be all for it. but it's only in the unreleased gpubladesoft.
>>
>>3075129
>texture correction?
Yep, and also a Z-buffer.
>>
>>3075143
>>3075127

{{citation needed}}
>>
>>3075148
Just dig through the archive of /emugen/, he posted about it several times.
>>
>>3075158
Emugen is always watching(TM)
>>
>>3075158

he's not doing texture correction
>>
Maybe I am mistaken, but epsxe own plugin has GTE accuracy the the latest version. The amidog plugin, gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak and gpubladesoft support it, too. Not sure what OP what is about.
>>
>>3075284

There's a few things:

>Z-buffer
>GTE accuracy
>texture perspective correction

They're all separate things. Most of the ps1's issues are lack of proper texture perspective correction. Only an unreleased gpu blade soft version has it.
>>
>>3075306
According to this, it is released if you mean that.
edgbla's Software Rendering Plugin 1.44 Changelog:
- Added experimental perspective-correct texture mapping
>>
>>3075315

Ignore the change log. There's no way to turn on those features on. They don't exist in any released version.
>>
PS1 graphics have aged like warm dog shit.

Even with help from emulators these games still look terrible and are practically unplayable.
>>
>>3075321

Nice blog kid.

The 3D looks fine. The major issues I dislike are the jittering and the parkinsons.
>>
File: pe1Czne[1].png (483 KB, 1920x1038) Image search: [Google]
pe1Czne[1].png
483 KB, 1920x1038
>>3075321

Looks fine when upscaled, especially with something that keeps the dithering.
>>
>>3075330
Interfaces and on-screen text however look like hell when you upscale the game even slightly.

Star Ocean 3 looks really nice when scaled up as you can see, but Devil May Cry 1's 2D graphics look like puke.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 1296x760) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 1296x760
>>3075352
Forgot pic, I think Star Ocean used a much higher-resolution font than was needed and scaled down by the PS2 itself.
>>
>>3075321

Saturn too. N64 only a tiny bit better.
>>
>>3075261
What makes you say that, he has already tried to do a preliminary implementation and he didn't say it wasn't possible or that he won't try anymore afaik.
>>
>>3075367
Most of the 2d saturn games look fantastic, with the added benefit of being arcade perfect unlike the PS1.

If you think 64 games look better I'd assume you love the way horrible Anti Aliasing blurs the screen.
>>
File: seiken-densetsu-3.12.png (11 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
seiken-densetsu-3.12.png
11 KB, 256x224
>>3075354
They probably made it that way for kanji recognition. The later RPGs on SNES also had high res fonts.
>>
>>3075354

PS2 games are 640x480 in resolution, and the 2D is scaled with bilinear. So it looks sharper.
>>
>>3075352
>Interfaces and on-screen text however look like hell when you upscale the game even slightly.
That's a reason I moved from epsxe to mednafen. I get "low" resolution, but I get consistent low resolution. The polygons fit with the textures, the overlays and the dithering, to form one "complete" look, even if it's low resolution. I can play NES or SNES or DOS mode 13h just fine, so resolution is not much of a problem, is it?
>>
File: gpublade.jpg (95 KB, 628x788) Image search: [Google]
gpublade.jpg
95 KB, 628x788
>>3075320
Have you actually tried it? I know its missing features but this one is actually in the GUI. I find its hard to tell if its working because increasing internal resolution doesn't work.
>>
>>3075315
1.45 was released but there doesn't seem to be a changelog for it.
>>
gpubladesoft 1.46 was released today.
Changes:
- Changed the method of clipping images (remove glClipPlane, to get rid of the lines "gl_ClipVertex = gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex;" in shaders or bugs with its absence ) ;
>>
>>3075513
>>3075665

I'm certain that it does nothing.

If I'm wrong, try it and post screenshots or videos.
>>
>>3075665
>>3075681
it has nothing to do with perspective correction, anyway. No idea why anon posted it
>>
>>3075685
Perspective correction- draws triages with depth and perspective correction.

Are you blind? its right there.
>>
>>3075704
That line in >>3075665 is talking about changes to the clipping, nothing about depth or perspective correction
>>
>>3075712
Oh, thought you were talking about something else.
>>
so did hokuto no ken figure out how to avoid the wobbles? cuz that game looks fantastic
>>
>>3075098
I prefer the one on the left. In my headcanon all PS1 games take place in the same unstable nightmare dimension that is threatening to break apart at the seams at any moment.
>>
>>3075446
ps2 rarely uses 640x480 for 3d, most games uses 512x448
>>
>>3075321
>>3075330
Depends on the game. Bloody Roar 2 looks gorgeous scaled up, but Spyro looks bad upscaled.
>>
>>3075824

WHATEVER

Point stands it's higher resolution than 240
>>
>>3075824
some titles even support 1080i.
nearly 100 titles support 480p.
>>
>>3075107
Do you think there's some sense of self consciousness about releasing your source code? Like the thought of people looking at it and going "look at this, I can't believe he's done it like this, what a hack!".
>>
>>3075843
these are post-scaling resolutions
>>
>>3075867
no. the ps2 has different render resolutions just like the ps1. you can't generalise like that. it's like saying most ps1 games are 320x224.
>>
>>3075921
only the framebuffer resolution counts is what I'm saying

not the scaled resolution - no actual PS2 game has a proper 1080 framebuffer
>>
>>3075924
do you have proof? have you checked all 1080i and 720p games?
>>
>>3075924
Gran Turismo does, iirc.
>>
>>3075494
Yeah, that bothers me in some modern games like the latest Shantae game. The text is really fucking smooth (possibly even vector) and the rest of the graphics are visibly pixelated due to the art style. It really clashes
>>
>>3075098
Is this in reference to the fact that PlayStation games often felt like they were about to fall apart?
>>
>>3075965
>>3075972
Honestly I think the burden of proof is on those CLAIMING that the PS2 has games with 720p / 1080i framebuffer than the other way around.

But anyway here you go

>it's just a 640x448 image stretched to 1920x540 with a line doubler

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Any-way-to-fix-1080i-mode-in-Gran-Turismo-4-NTSC?pid=267959#pid267959
>>
>>3076159
In other words you have no proof to Backup your statement besides gran turismo and assume it counts for every game. try again
>>
>>3075098
Why hasn't anyone got this right yet? I am going to play the shit out of PSX stuff when it does finally happens since I don't have a good setup for old shit
>>
>>3078359
>Why hasn't anyone got this right yet?
Because it's neither trivial nor accurate. So people with skill, which tend to be interested in accuracy, don't give a shit, and people that want the shiny, can't figure a way to make it work with their patchwork emu
>>
>>3078373
How is that applicable in this situation? Its pretty obvious the bladesoft dev cares about both accuracy and enhancements.
>>
>>3078373
What's the deal with the OP pic then? That looks like pretty good progress to me. Native res with this shit on a crt is going to be godlike
>>
>>3078380
Too bad he doesn't care about portability or longevity
>>
>>3075401
You can patch that out with game genie or auto patch with an everdrive.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.