[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, /vr/. I don't frequent this board often, but I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: KillingMigsSpeedrunADGQ.png (538 KB, 581x431) Image search: [Google]
KillingMigsSpeedrunADGQ.png
538 KB, 581x431
So, /vr/. I don't frequent this board often, but I have a question for you.
What makes you like 'retro' games?

Nostalgia for titles you played when you were a kid?

Perhaps you feel like games were better designed back then?
>>
I don't have to stop liking games I always liked just because time kept passing by and they became "retro".
>>
I started speedrunning games in 2014, and as it turns out, a lot of the most competitive and mechanically complex speedgames are also retro games.

That's the main reason I like them today. There are other reasons, but that's the primary one.
>>
I like old games like I enjoy old books. Interest doesn't age.
>>
I kinda got pigeonholed into it, my parents wouldn't buy me consoles so until I was around 16 every one I owned I inherited from other relatives or found at a garage sale, I mainly played an n64 until 06. I built a PC when I finally got a job and got into psp console hacking, the first thing I did is play all my favorite 2D shit on the go. I still go back to retro shit because I don't really like the direction game design has gone with a few exceptions like Souls games.

I'm also a software engineer now, so it's really interesting reading about how lots of games were designed on a such a low level or how the developers managed to pull certain things off given technical limitations.
>>
>>3074650
>What makes you like 'retro' games?
I just like games, "retro" or not.
>>
>>3074650
good question. nostalgia? no. i didn't get into retro gaming until college. one day i pulled out my old Playstation cause i was bored and decided to see if there were any cool games for it. it was a cheaper alternative to buying a new system and buying $50 AAA titles. Then I got on craigslist and began looking up games. At that point you could say I got autistic for this shit.
>>
>>3074650
I just like fin that doesn't involve WRPG and or FPS tropes, like literally ALL modern games do. So in short:

>I like more than two genres, so I like old games

And there you have it.
>>
Better challenge, better gameplay and nostalgia for the games I played as a kid.
>>
Whats ops pic from ????
>>
Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, 99% of my favorite retro games I didn't play until 15+ years after their release.
>>
File: 1446092065873.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1446092065873.gif
999 KB, 250x251
>>3074650
I don't like retro games in the sense that I'm just arbitrarily hunting down old games to play solely for the sake they're old. I just happen to like a shitload of games people these days consider to be retro. To me buying a twenty year old Genesis game is no different than buying a three year old PS3 game I missed out on release.
>>
>>3074650
I play plenty of old and new games and enjoy them for different reasons.
Modern games tend to be "fluffy" while retro games are condensed experiences. It's nice to know that a retro game can be beaten in a few sittings instead of taking weeks to a month to reach the ending.
>>
>>3075085
>t's nice to know that a retro game can be beaten in a few sittings instead of taking weeks to a month to reach the ending.

For me the length itself isn't the issue but instead the pacing. Modern games feel like they try to pad out into some unnamed standard length causing a lot of them to feel like they haven't really started until about four or five hours in. Maybe I'm just an impatient fuck but I don't feel like dumping so much time in a game that will finally get interesting in the last hour or so when I can just turn on Hard Corps and instantly start with balls to the wall action.
>>
>>3075070
Yeah, this is about the same deal for me. I don't really have nostalgia for them - I just never really left them behind.
>>
>>3074650
I guess it would be my dislike of most modern games.

>Nostalgia for titles you played when you were a kid?
This is a common misconception, I think. Personally, my experience has been that games I enjoyed in my childhood seem to get even better with age. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, either. I simply find I'm able to understand and appreciate them more than when I was a kid.

>Perhaps you feel like games were better designed back then?
Of course.
>>
teh quantity of libraries
>>
File: huh.png (15 KB, 210x260) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
15 KB, 210x260
>>3074650

Where do people get the idea that something older cannot be as good as something newer?

If someone asked why people like Casablanca more than Paul Blart 2 they'd be called a retard with no taste, but in video games it seems like those kinds of people are the majority.
>>
>>3075248
Video games are (were?) considered more of a children's hobby than film, so the industry can be a little more blatant about it's "everything new is better than anything old" agenda.
>>
i was never good at first person shooters.
>>
>>3074650
>So, /vr/. I don't frequent this board often, but I have a question for you.
i dig the history, also a lot of them are more interesting than recent games imo.

>Nostalgia for titles you played when you were a kid?
i'm comparatively young, ps2 is more my childhood. i just like the games. i do play a lot of ps2 tho.

debatably, a lot of them were shit but a few were incredible.
>>
I like the aesthetic, can't tell if it's because I grew up with it, but I find graphics in games like Toombraider (1), Duke3D, Blood, Carmageddon, Diablo 1/2, Red Alert appealing.. Maybe my imagnication fills in the missing bits better.. No idea.
>>
>>3075540
>Maybe my imagnication fills in the missing bits better
That's indeed an advantage of the technically limited games. Head cinema visuals will almost always be better than 4k HDRR cutscenes.
>>
Nostalgia certainly plays a part, but they also used to make different kinds of games that don't really get made these days.

Tho it's gotten a bit healthier in the most recent years with indies targeting hardcore gamers and kickstarter reviving old genres.
>>
The question I've been wondering for years is why people play newer games. Why spend all that time and money playing current games except for hype? It's almost as if they barely even like the games really, they're just part of a social and fashionable thing, and if their friends started doing something else they would as well.
>>
>>3074650
A little from column A, a little from column B.
>>
File: Mortal_c69119_1775807.gif (256 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Mortal_c69119_1775807.gif
256 KB, 500x375
>>3074650
There are just plain a lot of fun games from the past. There's a bit of nostalgia with some games, but the ones I've stuck with it's just because they're a lot of fun.

Not this though. On the whole I think games are a little better now than they used to be. But there have always been mostly bad to middling games and a few gems. It's the gems I pay attention to.
>>
File: 651461387.jpg (168 KB, 751x1063) Image search: [Google]
651461387.jpg
168 KB, 751x1063
>>3074650
The thing with a lot of the games I've played in recent years is that a lot of these seem like corporate crap led by some fuckwit who knows jack diddly fuck about video games. When re-visiting older games, it feels to me like there was a lot of labour and love put into a lot of these games.

Now, retro does not automatically mean good by default, there are a lot of bad games in each console's library, no doubt about that. However, for the many bad ones there are some legitimately good and fun games. And that's the thing, fun. I want to be able to enjoy playing a game rather than having to pay in installments to enjoy the fucking thing.

>tl;dr: older games had labour and love put into them, despite there being an abundance of shit games, where as a lot of today's try to top each other, seeing whose game can milk more money out of the consumer while completely fucking them over
>>
>>3075898
>>3075932
Also, this.
>>
I like telling other people that I like retro games.
>>
>>3074724
>>3075106
>>3075248
>>3075898
>>3075932
>>3076805
This thread always gets the autists stirred up.
>>
>>3075932
looking at nes and fc games, the same problems were there that we have today. shitloads of nearly identical games. so many action platformers.
>>
SNES to me was the fancy new thing that I only ever got to play at friends houses. Now I get to play it whenever I want! The games are still as good as they ever were.

I don't consider old PC games "retro", they are still new to me because I'm old. CRPGs based on D&D rulesets are a thing of the past sadly.
>>
>>3076846
>Projecting
>>
>>3074650
I don't have as much free time as I did in school, and so many modern games are huge timesinks.
There are exceptions on both ends, but that's definitely a major factor for me.
>>
>>3076948
Smells like normalfag in here!
>>
i didnt have alot of friends when i was a kid so half the time i was playing vidya and as i got older i had little to no friends and all i had was vidya.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.