[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best solution for retro consoles on HDTV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
I really hate dealing with CRT's and what i truly wanna do is just hook up my old consoles to my widescreen HD TV and get the best piucture quality and latency possible. Is the XRGB mini my best bet? im in the UK and I dont even know any good suppliers. Get someone give me some advice on this please.
>>
*can
>>
>>3073914
This.
Can the consoles and emulate from a PC.
>>
>>3073915

but emulation is full of problems for stuff like dreamcast and saturn, 3do etc. I just want a " hook up to my main Tv and get best possible experience* system
>>
The XRGB scalers are the best currently. The mini is the most plug n play. Still these scalers require reading the wikis and getting the English translation updates. English overlay for remote helps a lot too.

Doesn't matter what you buy if your TV is shit to begin with though.

Coming from someone that actually owns this kind of stuff and not just parroting off google.. Currently use a XRGB-3.
>>
>>3073919

can you recommend a supplier i should use for the XRGB 3?
>>
>>3073918
the Dreamcast has a vga adapter that outputs 720p
>>
>>3073925
Solaris Japan is the main dealer for Micomsoft products.

I don't recommend the XRGB-3 unless you feel confident about and want to learn about RGB and Sync from the consoles. It is finicky with shit cables and the type of sync from certain consoles. It also will not hook up out of the box to modern TVs. Hooking one up to a modern TV properly isn't cheap either.

The XRGB-3 is for those that need the least amount lag possible, instant 240p-480i transition times, or a line doubler.

b1 mode is all it should be used in. b0 has meh scaling and mini is far better for that. Trying to get a TV to accept b0 mode will usually require some kind of sync cleaner/booster. Like one of the Extron interface units.

The mini is a better choice for most people.

There is the OSSC coming out soon but has yet to be fully tested. What has been said from the people that got prototypes and then review units is promising. Still it wont be a simple plug and play solution.
>>
>AV
generic, chinese av to hdmi converter
it's pretty good and gives a very nice picture
I can play guitar hero so there's no noticable input latency
>RF
I use my old VCR as a tuner, then plug that into my AVtoHDMI
>>
>>3073918
>3do
You know there isn't even a single 3DO game that's worth playing.
>>
just get a line doubler and let the tv handle the rest.
>>
File: Mario makes lotsa SPAGHETTI.gif (3 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
Mario makes lotsa SPAGHETTI.gif
3 MB, 360x240
>>3073906
If you wanna handle NES or N64, get the HDMI mod for them (They integer-scale perfectly). Any other systems, go the XRGB route for the best picture or go for a cheaper option if on a budget.
>>
>>3074393

Well theres...there is...plumbers dont wear ties? You gotta play that shit on max resolution
>>
>>3074393
>>3074431
>not playing 3DO Doom for the music

>>3073906
Don't you bongs have scart port too?
>>
>>3074476

Yes but a lot of games will still look like crap on HD TV's even with RGB Scart since the in built scalers often dont match up to what they should. Resident evil 2 looks ugly as sin on my HD TV.
>>
>>3074426
N64 hdmi mod is trash.
>>
>>3074393
>he never played horde
>or star control 2
pleb
>>
>>3074483
s-video ftw
>>
>>3073925
I just bought a mini off of akishop.jp They were the cheapest I could find.
>>
>>3074514
>N64 hdmi mod is trash.

RGB mod / framemeister buyer's remorse?
>>
PS2 with good-quality S-video cable

HOWEVER many new HDTVs don't have all the connections for it.
>>
>>3073930
ahahaa, no, 720p is way higher than the dreamcast can output.
>>
>>3073906
>UK
Do you intend to hook up PAL/50Hz to it?
PAL/50Hz doesn't work as great (depends on what output res you choose), at least if you want scanlines.
Without the problems aren't as big, I suppose. I rarely use my PAL systems on the Framemeister, anyway.
>>
>>3077714
why would you get a shitty s-video cable when you could have component or a ps2hdmi
>>
>>3073906
Best = XRGB Mini
best Cheap option = Lenkeng lkv362a

that's all you need to know.
>>
>>3077752
Ps2 hdmi doesnt make image look good.
>>
>>3073906
Why do you hate dealing with CRT's?
>>
>>3073906
The best solution is to stop being a faggot and buy a CRT.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.