[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have Majora's Mask appreciation thread? Still on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: Deku_Link_Transformation.png (489 KB, 1290x775) Image search: [Google]
Deku_Link_Transformation.png
489 KB, 1290x775
Can we have Majora's Mask appreciation thread? Still one of the most saddest, darkest and haunting games ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDX4ZwUeOok
>>
>>3073740
No one would've given a shit if it wasn't a Zelda game.
>>
>>3073759
Elaborate.
>>
>>3073759

I'm not a fan of MM hype, but come now, I can't think of any other games that are as grim as MM games without becoming edgy grim dark.
>>
>>3073759

I got interested in it just because of its atmosphere and theme, not because it was a Zelda game.
I played OoT before just so I could play MM fully.
>>
>>3073759
Untrue. The game would have easily been a highly-regarded cult classic if it wasn't associated with any popular franchise. The fact that it also happened to be a part of a famous series certainly helped it in the long run, but hurt it initially since people had come to expect a more straightforward experience from Zelda.
>>
>>3073759

It would probably be even more respected if it wasn't a Zelda game, since the bar wouldn't be so high.
>>
>>3073759
Like clockwork.
>>
File: 1399590427283.jpg (893 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1399590427283.jpg
893 KB, 960x1280
>>3073740
I love Majora's Mask, I have 100%'d it many times but you have to have not played many games if you honestly think it's "one of the most saddest, darkest and haunting games ever made."

It has a more dejected atmosphere but only a few dark moments. They're thoughtful and nicely done, but that's it.

>>3073841
>I'm not a fan of MM hype, but come now, I can't think of any other games that are as grim as MM games without becoming edgy grim dark.
So you only like games that are serious 'up to a certain point' because anything worse will make you go into /v/ hivemind and declare it edgy shit?
>>
File: quack.jpg (11 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
quack.jpg
11 KB, 265x265
>>3074323
I have played many games, and I do think that. I don't think I'm wrong either. Of course, there plenty of games that have very strong horror, depressing/apocalyptic, edgy content. But, I find the atmosphere, presentation and content of MM to be very impactful, which is a reason why I consider it as one of the most haunting.
>>
>>3074323

Holy shit you're stupid
>>
>>3075431
No, he's right.
>>
Majora's Mask had some great fucking music; it may have been Kondo's best work. This song in particular still gives me chills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuYCxuVKZkc
>>
It's one of my favorite games of all time but I wouldn't call it "one of the most darkest" because it's not really that dark, it's very haunting and has a really good atmosphere but I don't think it's "dark".

I think that the games been done a disservice by all the creepypasta-type stuff. Yeah it's a bit creepy but people go in expecting this dark epic when it's not really that dark, it's just a really cool game with an atmosphere.

And that honestly kind of breaks my heart because I've seen people give up on the game because it wasn't at all like the internet has hyped it up to be.
>>
>>3075835
The problem is that the BEN pasta was a horror story meant to scare the reader while the game itself is more brooding and melacholic. But yeah, it's definitely suffered from the whole "omg it's 2 spoopy" misrepresentation (just like LSD Dream Emulator in my opinion).
>>
Only Zelda game where I actually wanted to do the side quests
>>
>>3076175
>Not wanting biggoron sword
>>
File: sadguts.png (994 KB, 1000x1016) Image search: [Google]
sadguts.png
994 KB, 1000x1016
>>3073740
>that part where Darmani's friends cheer him on til he weeps with joy
>that part where Pamela is reunited with her father after he has been returned to normal
>>
I really want to love the game. Everything is so great about it. The setting, the world, has a neat story, etc.

I just still can't get past the fact that there's a fucking time limit in an action/adventure game.
>>
>>3078306
Oh, you're one of THOSE guys.
>>
>>3078307
Just giving my opinion.

Same thing with underwater levels that expect you to solve some puzzle or explore a cavern but you need to keep coming back up for air. That's basically the concept of the whole game with MM.
>>
>>3078306
It's tangential to the story though. Don't compare it to a generic time limit.
>>
>>3078635
The gameplay suffers from it.
>>
lmfao play the song of double time and stop complaining. YOU GET SO MUCH FUCKING TIME.
>>3078675
>>3078306
>>
>>3078683
144 minutes to be specific. And you can reset the time once you've got the song to enter the dungeon. If you can't beat the dungeon in that time you need to seriously GIT GUD.
>>
>>3078683
>>3078717
Sorry I forgot you fanboys hate the idea of free exploration.
>>
>>3078725
>free exploration
you can't access any area beyond the one you're supposed to go next, and in your respective area you can usually just go one way and then have to unlock the other routes. As in
>at first you have to go to swamp area
>can only go to the shooting gallery or the swamp
>can't do shooting gallery bc no bow
>go to swamp and get to the dock
>witch isn't there, other guy just asks for your pictograph
>can only go enter swamp
>can't get further than the area where the witches are bc giant octorok
>can only go into the forest where you have to follow the monkey
>rescue witch, get on the boat
>get to deku palace
and so on, so on, so on. It's really much more linear than it seems. You can explore freely just the very area you're at.
>>
>>3078817
That's not being linear. That's a hardware limitation. No game on any of the 5th gen consoles had a world that was all that large and that you could access at any time.
>>
>>3078831
That's bullshit, because as you get further in the game you can still go to the previous places. By the time you get to the 4th dungeon in MM you essentially can go anywhere in the whole game. In fact, you have to if you want to 100% it.
>>
>>3078854
Yes you can go back.

What's the sense in letting the player just run through everything and be hit with load screen after load screen or entering/exit animations.

It's not like the large 2d world in the LoZ where the screen just slides to the next board.
>>
>>3078862
>It's not like the large 2d world in the LoZ where the screen just slides to the next board.
It's almost exactly the same

also
>load screens
what are you smoking
>>
>>3078869
Are we talking specifically about MM here or games with large worlds to explore?

That's why I said load times AND entering/exit animations.

If you think that's the same as a scrolling 2d game I don't know what to say. Can't really have an argument since you lack basic "comprehension"? Maybe there's a better word.
>>
>>3078889
I'm talking about MM you butthurt twat. You have no load screens and entering/exit animations are short af. Also in LttP the screen scrolling is annoying too if you have to go far, it's much more often than the animations in MM o OoT
>>
>>3078902
>butthurt twat.
>short af.
>LttP the screen scrolling is annoying

Come back here when you're at least 18. Or better yet just don't come back.
>>
>>3078904
>jimmies this rustled
pls stop projecting
>>
>>3078915
What exactly am I projecting here? I sure hope you're not over the age of 18 and typing like a 13 year old.
>>
>>3078902
I'm sorry the limitations of an older console ruin a great game so much for you
>>
So, OoT Link goes searching for Navi, gets lost in the Lost Woods because no fairy, hallucinates and becomes as Stalfos as seen in TP?

How is TP Link his descendant, then? Or do they not mean "bloodline" and "ancestor" literally?
>>
I wish nintendo would just use the engine for the 3DS Oot and MM and make another Zelda using that Link.
>>
>>3079000
They do not.
The Links are all reincarnations of the Hylia's chosen hero. Not a single one of them are related by blood.
>>
>>3079029
Odd choice of words, then. I could see "ancestor" being a fancy way of referring to a past incarnation of the hero. But "bloodline" is a little harder to take abstractly...
>>
>>3079037
I'm assuming these are literal translations of the Japanese version. Maybe more ambiguous terms are used in the Japanese version.
>>
>This is a story that is not well known, but at the time, when we started the design of The Legend of Zelda, one imagined that the fragments of the Triforce would actually microchips! This was to be a video game would happen to both the past and the future. As the hero was the link between one and the other, it was called "Link" link in English. But ultimately Link never went into the future and it remained a game of heroic fantasy . One can even say that he has absolutely nothing had futuristic! (Laughs)
>>
>>3075835
I agree for the most part, but it's really more of an issue of people meaning different things when they use the term "dark." It isn't dark in the same way that things like "dark fantasy" tend to be full of grey morality and the uglier aspects of humanity, but it is dark in the sense that the entire game is built around the idea of death and how people react when faced with their own mortality. There's also the fact that some people really just mean that it's dark for a Zelda game.
>>
>>3078725
>>3078817
I don't hate the idea of free exploration, but I also don't believe that completely free and unhindered exploration is inherently superior to more restricted/linear design. In fact I'd hold MM up as a prime example of how restrictions and linearity can actually strengthen other aspects of design when done properly.
>>
>>3073740
It is my favorite.
Even if it doesn't have as many dungeons as the other 3D Zeldas, it makes me feel it is more of a complete package of them all.
>>
>>3078306
It doesn't really get in the way, even more if you use Song of reverse Time.
The only moment it kinda annoyed me was when I did the Kafei sidequest.
>>
>>3079000
He doesn't become a Stalfos. He goes back to Hyrule, he doesn't find anyone capable of learning the shit that he does and then becomes a ghost that wants to teach stuff.
>>
Posting more awesome Majora's Mask music. Fuck I love this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cC2a3R-2bM

This actually reminds me of some shitty hip-hop song called "Try Me". I can't unhear the similarities.
>>
>>3075835
I have a slightly different view on that. MM was always, from my perspective, as low key a horror game as Nintendo could make. That's not to say it's LMAO SURVIVAL HORROR but there are a lot of really frightening things in it, especially if you're a kid playing it for the first time. The Majora boss fight in that fucked up arena, the aliens, Ikana Canyon and just the idea of the world ending in such a painfully slow, unstoppable way are pretty damn scary. Even the commercials were fucked up, so you can't say Nintendo wasn't aware of any of this.

The only thing the creepypasta did was attract all the underage autismos who pretend they always liked it for what it was and hype up the game's spookiness to super obnoxious, unrealistic levels.

>>3079029
TP Link is explicitly referred to as a blood descendant of the Hero of Time, and Hyrule Historia confirms that and goes on to say that OOT/MM Link made it back to Hyrule and died of natural causes, not this Stalfos shit.
>>
File: dfgzd.png (322 KB, 259x512) Image search: [Google]
dfgzd.png
322 KB, 259x512
>>3078725
>Any Zelda aside from the first one
>free exploration
Pick one.
>>
>>3080513
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzSLWno5_Pw

fav track from the game
>>
File: Majora's_Mask_English_Manga.png (355 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
Majora's_Mask_English_Manga.png
355 KB, 333x500
I read the manga for it. Unlike the OOT manga which added a little bit to the story, the MM manga leaves out/alters too much content from the game, and has a very rushed pacing. The bonus chapter explaining the origins of Majora's Mask was very weird.
>>
>>3081992
ALTTP had free exploration didn't it?
>>
File: Arnold_schönberg_man_ray.jpg (110 KB, 1163x1540) Image search: [Google]
Arnold_schönberg_man_ray.jpg
110 KB, 1163x1540
I still remember the feeling of renting and playing it for the first time when I was about 11 or so, and the horror, not really the right word more like sick fascination, of putting on that Deku mask for the first time and seeing that transformation sequence that only made me beg for more of asking, "Why?"
>>
I remember being really phased by how dark the game was compared to how most of OoT had that lighthearted/epic adventure feel. I think the reused assets just added to the weirdness.
>>
>>3082292
more than the later games in the series, but it's linear as shit compared to the original
>>
Fav zelda game of mine.
I borrowed OoT from a friend and afterwards asked for MM as a christmas gift.

Adding the expansion pack to my N64 really made me feel as something unseen was about to happen.

I can still hear Link's scream from the first deku transformation.

Good times.

And now I'm replaying it on my 3DS.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.