[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so I gave in and bought a Rasberry Pi 3. I honestly dont
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 1280x1024
Ok, so I gave in and bought a Rasberry Pi 3. I honestly dont know why so many people on /vr/ hate it. Excluding Dreamcast and N64, everything I threw at it ran flawlessly. The Retropie 3.6 version seems to have quite a few bugs, but I can forgive that because it was rushed out to provide RPi3 support. I used an iBuffalo controller I previously bought. Basic setup was simple. I'm thinking about testing out Lakka when it's updated. I don't know how poor the emulation was on previous Pi's, but I'm impressed so far.
>>
>Excluding Dreamcast and N64, everything I threw at it ran flawlessly.
Let me guess: NES, SNES, Genesis and PS1?
>>
definte "flawlessly."

i'm not sure there are any cycle accurate emulators that work on raspberry pie. but maybe i'm wrong.
>>
>>3073470
Sega cd, Arcade, NeoGeo. And yes Psx. I read that some games still ran poorly on Pi2.

>>3073473
Maybe not, but I didn't notice it.
>>
>>3073467
>I honestly dont know why so many people on /vr/ hate it

Couldn't care less about a Raspberry Pi or whatever shitty frontend software you came here to advertise. I just don't like viral marketing displacing on-topic threads.

>>>/trash/
>>
>>3073484
>Maybe not, but I didn't notice it.
Yeah, and I know people who don't notice the display latency on LCD tvs. That doesn't mean it doesn't feel and play like shit to someone who actually plays a lot of retro games.
>>
>>3073484
What arcade? That's a broad area and I don't expect the Pi to emulate boards from the mid 90s.
Can it run Higan Balanced?
>>
>>3073492
I don't know about OP. But Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike runs fine
>>
File: yeassprettygud.gif (2 MB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
yeassprettygud.gif
2 MB, 350x250
>>3073486
>I just don't like viral marketing displacing on-topic threads.

Well, god fucking forbid anyone talk about emulation hardware. We're all just shills for "the man".
>>
File: 1446621447628.png (28 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1446621447628.png
28 KB, 625x626
>>3073517
>posting an e-celeb reaction image
>>
>>3073524
>posting a meme

Originality
>>
>>3073524

>complains about reaction images
>posts le fishy hooky meme
>>
>>3073490
wow ur a faggot lol
>>
>>3073667
Oh wow you owned me.
>>
>>3073486
What the hell is with people claiming all these volunteer open source hobbyist projects have shilling budgets? FOH
>>
>>3073517
You can talk about emulation hardware without mentioning specific brands.
x86 is the right choice and you're free to pick Intel, AMD or whatever manufacturer.
ARM and other alternative architectures just don't have the power needed for good emulation.
>>
>>3073758
>Raspberry Pi
>Not a commercial product

I didn't realize these units were free.
>>
Anon with a raspmeme 2 here.

It's not terrible, but it's limited in what it can run and the input lag keeps me from using it except for casual play at other people's houses. A decent laptop would be more expensive, but ultimately a better investment if you wanted a portable plug-and-play machine. An ITX PC is also a great choice for an all-encompassing media centre.
>>
>>3073764
>Hey guys, do you have any experience using an [1.2GHz quad core ARM processor, Broadcom VideoCore IV graphics, and 1GB RAM] for emulation?
>>
>>3074180
More cores aren't useful for emulation where single thread performance matters the most.
That's why something like a Celeron or Pentium is a far better choice.
>>
>>3074150
really? even with the overclock?, damn i wanted one to play street fighters and samurai shoudown in all the houses i know.
>>
>>3074180
>Broadcom VideoCore

Dropped.
>>
i use my pi 2 to run mame, planning to make my own cabinet soon
>>
Nothing wrong with a pi if you're happy with it. My beef with the pi though is almost every PC made within. The last 15 years can do up to snes games and pretty much any PC made within the last 10 can do up to ps1, maybe even Saturn. For the same price as a pi and all the additional hardware you need for it (power supply, housing box, SD etc) its roughly $100 and you can shittily do up to ps1.

Meanwhile, you can go on Craigslist, buy almost any PC that is under $50 and do much much more. You can even get emulation station running on deb or arch.
>>
>buy cheap laptop
>buy cheap controller
>does everything the pi does and is also portable
>easier to configure too
>>
I'm thinking of buying a pi3 so i can have mame in my arcade cabinet, whats the best version of mame to get for it?
>>
>>3074150
>>3074932
All street fighters and Samurai Showdown games run at full speed on the Pi3. I haven't tried the EX games yet. The imput lag can be caused by a poor controller or even the TV if it doesn't have a "gaming mode" which can happen for newer consoles too.
>>
>>3075645
The 3 has only been out for a couple of weeks. People are still updating their software to make everything compatible. Your best bet at the moment would be Retropie or Recalbox. There are multiple versions of MAME on each, read up to make sure of what rooms you need.
>>
>>3075645
I wouldn't recommend it. You can buy a used comparable laptop for under $50 easy and it would probably be more powerful.

You're sticking it in an arcade cabinet. Its not like you're going to be traveling with it.
>>
>>3075486
My RPi2, a 32GB Sandisk SD card, and all the necessary cables cost me $50 total. On the other hand it's a piece of shit for emulation purposes.
>>
>>3075645

I wouldn't bother with a Pi for emulation. An older desktop or laptop is going to be way cheaper (after factoring the cost of accessories you'll need for the Pi) and actually emulate a lot better. If you get a desktop, you can just run VGA out to your TV.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.