[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everquest thread/general /eqg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Kithicor Forest.jpg (89 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Kithicor Forest.jpg
89 KB, 1024x768
>What is Everquest

It's the quasi old-school MMO that encapsulates everything that die-hard players remember with gnashing teeth,things like exploring ruins that could mean a swift death & losing more then half you XP bar

>Why should I play

Because it's a extremely unique experience you'd be hard pressed to find in the world of MMO's today

>What classes does it have

It has a plethora of classes like your classic tanks healer & priest along with many more!
>>
nostalgia thread?

emulated server recruitment?

people taking out their 17 year old PCs from the basement to see if they start up to get those 400x300 screenshots?

whats going on man?
>>
God, Everquest looks so comfortable.
If I could wander about in that world with a more wow-like interface or movement scheme, I'd play it all day and night.
>>
How do I play and are there servers?
OP you gotta help us out here, thread has no clear direction
>>
>>3074000
Get EQ Titanium, do a clean install, Google project 1999 and go from there. P99 is as pure vanilla through velious as you'll get. 1200 to 1700 people on during prime time. Active as fuck. Lots of helpful folks. If you're new new I recommend posting on their forums asking for some tips.
>>
>>3074000
Not OP but I lost the old thread's pasta intro that I helped write. Daybreak (current owners of EQ) run a progression server but their customer service is a bit shit and I don't want to watch the game I'm playing slowly die again with awful expansions. The best oldschool experience is Project 1999 which you'll need to torrent a copy of EQ Titanium edition to play. Or if that's too much trouble I could upload my game folder to mega sunday, but you'd have to fiddle with making the correct shortcuts and .bat files. Overall it's a good server that's very friendly to new players. However it does suffer from the same flaws EQ live did in that due to the way it's coded it's very easy for players to write programs that map the zone and show up to date locations of rare mobs. I wouldn't say that it's too common but it does happen. Also due to the fact all raid bosses are world bosses the raid community is understandably full of drama.

I wouldn't mind playing with some new people from here if they were interested. Been playing my lowbie warrior alt again anyway.

>>3073875
The UI is very easily moddable, what is it you mean by WoW-like interface? The movement will always feel a little janky in the engine but with rebound keys and winEQ I find the game pretty comfy.
>>
>>3073875
Huh you could use a gamepad or just remap the keys m8
>>
>>3074078
Just started a new game on 1999, any tips?
>>
>>3074282
Do you want to twink out your character or work for all of your items? If you want to twink, save bonechips from whatever starter area you're in to sell to other players for 5-10pp a stack. Make sure to always loot weapons to sell for money so you can afford spells if your class does that. You'll be able to fight white mobs (same level) in the newbie area no problem, but once you get past level 5 it's going to get harder and harder unless your one of the few good solo classes or are nicely geared.
Oh
Delete the book of discord, absolutely do not use it ever.
>>
>>3074282
what class/race did you pick?
>>
File: Spooky Skeleton Everquest.jpg (51 KB, 439x613) Image search: [Google]
Spooky Skeleton Everquest.jpg
51 KB, 439x613
>>3074000
STAY AWAY FROM THE SEWERS UNDERNEATH QEUNOS IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE
>>
>>3072713
It's not all that unique and it's not all that fun anyway. It was basically a collection of all the worst aspects about modern MMOs with none of the good aspects. It's also empty as fuck as well as needlessly tedious.
>>
File: Innothule.jpg (108 KB, 1015x762) Image search: [Google]
Innothule.jpg
108 KB, 1015x762
>>3074638
>perma death if you fail to get your corpse back in 7 days

>needing to eat & drink to sustain stamina

>actually being able to craft own weapons and armor for either yourself or profit

>very distinctive roles that classes encompass witch often can't function without each other

>HUGE open world that could take literal days/weeks to get from one city to the other
>>
>>3074638
That's just like, your opinion man.
>>
>>3074000
Here use these

https://www.project1999.com/ & the wiki
>>
>>3072713
I tried playing it recently for nostalgias sake and was reminded why I didn't like it when I was younger. It's way too grindy.

Weirdly enough I fucking love ultima online, even though it's equally or more grindy...
>>
>>3074282
if you went monk watch you weight so you don't get overburdened with carrying about too many items,use the banks in your local citys to stash coins when they start loading you down
>>
P99 is shit.

EQ Next was cancelled.

It's a dead franchise and there's no way to revive it.
>>
>>3076429

EQ Next was some minecraft faggotry with the EQ label slapped on. No wonder it got fucking cancelled.

And yeah P99 is shit. I dunno I had some fun times, but I never made it far enough to deal with the raid drama.

I mean it was better to fuck around on than EQ2 at least.
>>
I don't know why these threads always inspire love or hate reactions. It almost makes me want to not even bother with them because if this is like the last thread it going to just devolve into both sides flaming eachother.
>>
>>3072713
Is there a server with the original version? I want to play the original directx6/glide version. Project 1999 uses the updated one that uses directx9.
>>
the paid progression servers were as close as you were going to get to the old experiance, i played there for a few months.

P99 had a decent feel, but it didnt sync up with the expansions like the paid servers they released months back did.

EQ still to this day the best game i ever played, and i'm happy i got into it just at Kunark was released.. man what a game.. people who didnt play the original will never understand. WoW, and other MMORPG's have nothing on EQ.

And unless you played it, dont open your faggot mouth trying to talk about it. you dont know shit.
>>
This is an excerpt i saved from somone on another forum, he hits the head on the nail, READ THIS

Don't get me wrong, you're right about WoW - it's the best MMO in it's generation and nothing has come close to topping
it - but it's using a formula that was basically created by EQ (which was the first graphical MUD). It is influential in
a sense that it influences people to play it - I'll agree with you there, but it's not necessarily influential or
innovative as far as video games go. You see, every now and then there are games that come along and tread new ground,
break the mold, and start an entire genre. EQ was one of those games. Everquest was an experiment started by Verant studios
under 989 studios - an offshoot of sony. It was a little known and underfunded project. Noone expected EQ to be nearly
as successful as it was. EQ wasn't the first MMO, Ultima Online gets that claim to fame, but it was the first to basically
take MUD's (text based online rpg's that people used to play in the 90's over the internet and telnet) and give them 3d
graphics. Everything you see in WOW - the text interface, party system, loot system, the idea of rare loot (not really
implemented in UO), massive dungeon raids, etc, was all borrowed from EQ. I'm not saying EQ invented it all, because it
took a ton from MUD's, but EQ was the first game to take it mainstream and make it profitable. Once other companies saw
the success of EQ they began cranking out their own MMO's: Asheron's Call, Dark Ages of Camelot, Shadowbane and eventually
WOW. WOW basically took the torch from EQ, as the original developers had left sony and the game started to lose it's
veteran players. So, while I agree WOW is an awesome game (I've played it a ton myself) it is not as innovative as EQ
because it hasn't really broken any new ground. Even instanced dungeons, as you mentioned, were implemented in EQ in the
Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion before WOW's release.
>>
If you were playing EQ between the years 1999-2002, consider yourself extremely lucky. Imagine thousands of people thrown
into a completely unfamiliar world together and forced to try to cooperate and work together. Remember, there had never
been a game like this before. If you had never played MUD's (and once EQ started gaining popularity most of the new players
hadn't) then it was an entirely new gaming experience. Imagine being among the first people to play a FPS. Only you're not
playing it by yourself - you're playing it with thousands of other people that you talk to every day and become friends
with. You all experience this new phenomenon together and try to figure it out. Everquest, up until the Shadows of Luclin
expansion (the one after Velious) was an amazing, semi religious experience for it's players. All the rules, customs,
etiquette and other things that people take for granted in MMO's these days were just being thought up, developed and
considered. Everquest was amazing not for how refined a game it was, but for how unrefined and savage it could be. If you
died, it wasn't uncommon for you to run 30 mins in pitch blackness to recover your corpse. Often you would ask your friend
to grab all your items and money off your body for you and hold it for you! There was no in game map either. You had to
find your way using landmarks or the awkward coordinates system. If you wanted to go from one island to another, you took
a 30 min (real time) boat ride. Hard to imagine in today's MMO's.
>>
There was a sense of community and real roleplaying that
ceases to exist in todays arcade style games. People would regularly gather in public places and drink and talk just for
the hell of it, for hours on end. To sell items you would sit in a tunnel for hours a day spamming the same for sale
message to the whole zone. People would "camp" a certain rare spawn for up to 24 hours straight in order to get an item
they needed to continue a quest, only to have their kill stolen by a mage who was sitting next to them invisible the
entire time! It's hard to explain, but I miss those days, and so do most people who played back then. Sadly, we can't go
back to those innocent times.
>>
>>3078106
I started with Kunark as well, and while I never got to endgame, I enjoyed how the hellish world forced players to band together against it.
>>
>>3076464
EVerQuest: Landmark is the minecraft with EQ stuff in it, and it is still scheduled to launch this summer.

EverQuest Landmark budded off from EQNext for testing. they started selling packs and shit for Landmark and thats pretty much the reason why it still has funding.

While I will miss the idea of an updated Norrath with Jeremy Soule at the helm for music I just kinda hope that Landmark will eventually be EQNext and not just minecraft with EQ shit
>>
>>3078287
Next was cancelled m8
>>
I'm having a lot of fun playing the Steam version with a few friends.

I probably should hunt down or download copies of Titanium to play Project 1999
>>
>>3072713
all mmos are garbage

/thread
>>
>>3079497
I know?

Im talking about Landmark?
>>
>>3078115
>If you wanted to go from one island to another, you took a 30 min (real time) boat ride. Hard to imagine in today's MMO's.

Hit me right in the feels. The only MMO that even did something remotely close to that that I played was Maplestory and they only did like 15 minute boat rides. Fucking WoW never even did that shit. A boat ride was a 20 second loading screen. You can make it from Stormwind to Theramore in 15 minutes without even using flightpaths. I remember the long boat rides where I would just sit there and shoot the shit with the couple people who happened to hitch a ride with me. It's just little shit like that that people interact. Now its all gone.
>>
>>3074000
it's f2p on steam
but it's boring as hell and the ui is awful
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.