[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anybody have any good recommendations for retro console
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Does anybody have any good recommendations for retro console arcade sticks? More specifically, SNES and/or Genesis, but additional compatibility is a bonus. Obviously I'd prefer a jack of all trades stick to save on space/expense, but I understand that may be a pipe dream.

I was going to pick up one of these, but I read a lot of stuff about it being absolutely terrible. Wasn't sure if you guys had any solid recommendations. Additional modability would be nice, but if it needs soldering I probably wouldn't be adventurous enough.
>>
>>3070608
Your best option is to build a stick then grab some busted controllers off of ebay for parts.
It shouldn't be too difficult but swapping controls might be annoying
>>
>>3070630
>>3070608

Definitely this.

Cannibalize a board of a working but cosmetically fucked controller.

Use the board, connector and cable.

Build a housing, probably wood, there are some cool ones, like that one guy has a furry one and some others use metal or plexiglass.

Then you just buy some nice parts like sanwa, or other good quality arcade parts and wire it up.

You'd be amazed how simple and easy it is to wire up something like that. I've been meaning to do it myself since I have a couple of busted ones.

I'm probably gonna cannabalize one of my SNES advantages because I'd like the turbo functions for some games.
>>
>>3070608
>>3070682

I forgot to comment on the SNES advantage. It's not terrible, but the stick is squishy, and the buttons don't really have that nice press and spring back that standard push buttons do. I use mine mostly for JRPG's and the auto fire for getting through random battles. I've beaten sunset riders with it, and it's alright, but I definitely prefer microswitches.

If you've never used a microswitched controller, then it's probably alright, but its definitely squishy and can be a bit inaccurate at times.
>>
>>3070630
>swapping controls might be annoying
Assuming you're just making use of the boards for contact points and "encoding chips" (for lack of a better word), you could just build a stick with the buttons and the like and have different controller boxes depending on the console you want to use.
>>
>>3070608
Making your own is really simple and by far the best option. The advantage has a crap stick and buttons that stick and has a weird layout
>>
> Not using based Sega brand 6 button Genesis stick
Inb4 "not sanwa/seimetsu parts" Sega brand Genesis and Saturn arcade sticks are pretty much the best non-real-arcade-hardware sucks ever made

There is a real arcade hardware SNES stick running around too I've got one.
>>
>>3070975
only jp sticks used hq µswitches, western stuff was rubber dome pos.
>>
>>3070630
>>3070682
>>3070943
How feasible would this be for someone with zero wiring/construction experience and a minor fear of soldering?
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
Only good option for SNES.
>>
>>3071197
Don't be an elitist faggot if you haven't used a Sega stick. For "rubber dome pos" they work great.
>>
>>3071249
I have used the Saturn one, it is a POS
>>
>>3071249
If you're talking about the US Virtua Stick that thing was ass.

>>3070608
Just build your own with a PS360+ board, it supports pretty much any old console you'd want a stick for.
>>
>>3070608
I have a similar Asciiware stick for ps1, it's great
>>
>>3071201
Sounds like that someone is boned forever.
>>
>>3071201
Gotta start somewhere.

Soldering is really easy.

You just heat up the surface with the iron, then take your little solder wire and push it in and it melts and you solder the joint.

The only thing is sometimes you have to be quite accurate if its small and there are a lot of traces around.

The best thing to do for a first project is probably just to replace a battery in a cart. I find Gameboy (like Pokemons) to be incredibly easy .
>>
>>3071201
it's probably one of the easiest, hardest to fuck up, and most rewarding first soldering jobs you could do.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.