[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playing a lot of NES as a kid, I never got around to playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 263x192
Playing a lot of NES as a kid, I never got around to playing the sega master system. What are your favorite games for this console and where do I start?
>>
You start by getting a decent Genesis flash cart, since that can play MS games too.
>>
I'd check out things like Psycho Fox, the Sonic games published in it were different to the Mega Drive games, Shinobi is pretty fun as is the Wonderboy series
>>
>>3070507
Is psycho fox similar to decap attack?
>>
>>3070564
A little, it came during a time when Sega were trying to have their version of Mario, but couldn't stick to one idea. It has some cool elements, like being able to change characters(animals) and it has some cool little Japanese tidbits; like old folklore about foxes and whatnot. It's just a solid platformer really
>>
wonder boy 3
>>
Phantasy star is good if you can pick it up cheap, it is nice to have and play, but is generally a bit pricey.
>>
>>3070489
Zillion, Zillion, and Zillion
>>
I really liked Miracle Warriors. It tends to ramp up in difficulty fairly quickly and leaves you completely on your own for most of it.

Ys is pretty great, but I think the PCE CD one is the best classic version. There are a shitload of remakes and re-releases that are all manners of terrible.
>>
>>3070489
Had half decent Sonic games. Wonder Boy 3 is my favorite for that console. Then Fantasy Zone is pretty fuckin neato,
>>
>>3071086
>Miracle Warriors
Was this the only system that ever got an English version of Haja no Fuuin? Somehow it ended up a Master System exclusive?
>>
>>3070489
golden axe warrior is based.

also SMS sonics and start of the phantasy star series.
>>
Master of Darkness
Rastan
Shinobi
The Lucky Dime Caper
Aztec Adventure
Kenseiden
Ninja Gaiden

That's pretty much it. Threre are a few other games but you should at least try these.
>>
>>3070489
There is this fake castlevania game. I think it's called Vampire. I forgot. But it's really fucking aweseome. and I feel like Im shitting on it by calling it a fake castlevania, even though it is
>>
>>3071752
Master of Darkness?
>>
>>3071752
sounds like you mean master of darkness.
the House of Wax dolls level freaked me out as a kid. also Ouija board use on a kids console system was odd premise
>>
Platformers: The Alex Kidd series, or at least Alex Kidd in Miracle World. The other games are hit or miss, but you might want to check them out. Also look into Ninja Gaiden, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, (also on Genesis / MD) Rastan, The New Zealand Story, (very multiplat) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Chaos. (also on Game Gear)

If you like shoot-'em-ups: Astro Warrior, Fantasy Zone, Fantasy Zone II and Sagaia are all good considerations.

Action-adventure and RPG: Kenseiden, Dragon Crystal and Golden Axe Warrior are the only ones for SMS I cared for. Some people seem to like Miracle Warriors and Phantasy Star, despite some awful translation quality. There's also a port of the original arcade Gauntlet.

Puzzle: Columns, Penguin Land, Fantasy Zone: The Maze, Sonic Spinball...

Beat-'em-up: There are ports of Streets of Rage 1 and 2, as well as Golden Axe. Although Golden Axe on SMS is kind of lame, as there's only one playable character.
>>
Wonderboy in Monsterland is fun as fuck and the easiest port of the game. The bosses are toned down a bit, and the game gives you a few seconds where you can walk through enemies after you get hurt, which helps a great deal in many areas. Still tough enough to be difficult. Fun as fuck once you get it down.

Choplifter was always good fun.
>>
>>3071712
>>3071852
>>3071169
SMS seems to have quite a few arcade ports. Does the system do them justice from their counterparts?
>>
>>3072820
They're a pretty big downgrade, as the SMS was not as powerful as the arcade machines.
Some of them are still pretty good games for the system like Shinobi, Rastan or Gain Ground.
Still, you're better off playing their original version or even the Megadrive ports.
>>
>>3070494
Came to ask about this. I understand some games have controller issues.
Is it worth getting a master system model 1 as well, or must running everything through ever drive on a mega drive?
>>
>>3073179
Just get a MS controller.
>>
>>3073179
If you modded an FM unit it's worth it for the FM games, and like >>3073386 said when you are going to play a Master System game you should use a MS controller.
>>
The game I remember most fondly from the Master System is Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I believe it was included in the Master System 2, it would boot up if you didn't insert a game. Sonic 1 is pretty good too.
>>
File: 11587075.jpg (168 KB, 837x746) Image search: [Google]
11587075.jpg
168 KB, 837x746
The Master System has an extremely good port of R-Type, the only thing is, you could just as easily MAME the original R-Type.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
30 years ago,SMS、MSX、FC controller
>>
>>3074675
We had the model 1 with the Snail Maze. God damn that game is unforgiving if you're a lil kid.
>>
>>3074675
It's funny because you can get a SMS2 with Alex Kidd built in for cheaper than the standalone game.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.