[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
While it was lacking in many aspects, I still appreciate it for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: Original-Nintendo-64.jpg (33 KB, 597x396) Image search: [Google]
Original-Nintendo-64.jpg
33 KB, 597x396
While it was lacking in many aspects, I still appreciate it for what it was and had.

So here's a Nintendo 64 thread.
>>
Why are 64DD units so god damn expensive?
>>
my favorite console desu
>>
>>3070279
Because it was a failure.
>>
>>3070273
Sadly the start of Nintendo consoles that developers just didn't know what the fuck to do
>>
>>3070297
nintendo thought the 64dd would fail, so they restricted it to subscription only

>As the only way to buy the 64DD hardware, the Randnet subcription service came bundled with the hardware and several games, by filling out a mail order request form at a retail store.
>>
>>3070273
Pretty wierd console. I think a lot of the hate here comes more from the image the n64 has now, a "nostalgic" memory of young teenagers/twenty-somethings that have caused an inflation in price. Still it also has a rather lack luster library, at least in my opinion. Personally I still like it and can think of many good gameson it, the multiplayer on it is phenomenal and one of the few things I give it over the ps1. My personal favorite game on the system is banjo kazooie, looks great, world's are fun, and an amazing soundtrack.
>>
I still think the N64 has the best line up of exclusives for any console ever released, but the hardware doesnt make justice to the games it has. The decision to abandon the SNES control design for a total different one, stick to cartridges when everyone was moving to CD,the amount of problems they put to 3rd parties to develop games... Nintedo really took very bad decisions at the time.
And the worst thing is the N64 still cant be emulated properly, so you cant even get to play the games nowadays. God damn.
>>
Found a copy of Ogre Battle 64 for $8 at the flea market and I'm 50 hours in already. Best purchase all year.
>>
File: v2.jpg (22 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
v2.jpg
22 KB, 480x270
>>3070279
>>3070297
>>3070327
>100,000 units manufactured
>15,000 units sold
>85,000 units destroyed

This is literally worse than the Holocaust
>>
>>3070363
A: You can snag a flash cart for like 60 bucks

B: 90% of the library was playable. In fucking 2002.
>>
>>3070273
>While it was lacking in many aspects

and games
>>
>>3070404

>A: You can snag a flash cart for like 60 bucks

i dont even have a N64, and importing one from my country with a flash cart is not worth it. Not everyone here has money to spend it in such a things anon, and not everyone lives in burgerland.

>B: 90% of the library was playable. In fucking 2002.

N64 emulators are terrible. Not saying they are unplayable, but they have far more errors than other emulators.
>>
there are at best 20 games that hold up today and the rest are mediocre
>>
>>3070434
now saying I disagree
just counting

Mario 64
Perfect Dark
Zelda Ocarina
Zelda Majora
Wave Race
F Zero X
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Goemon Mystical Ninja
Goemon Great Adventure
Mischief Makers
Sin and Punishment
Bangai-O
Banjo Kazooie
Mario Tennis
Oggre Battle 64
Paper Mario
Star Fox 64

There are many more games I like, but they tend to be polarizing and not everybody agrees on them being good or not, like Doom 64 or Banjo Tooie or Castlevania Legacy of Darkness.
Also, Rayman 2 is much better than on Playstation, but much worse than on Dreamcast.
>>
File: super_mario_64_glitches.png (174 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
super_mario_64_glitches.png
174 KB, 560x315
>>3070273
>tfw last night I was having a dream about arguing with anon on /vr/ about a made up level from Mario 64
I was playing the level as I was arguing somehow. It was really cool but it actually had Wii U tier graphics. There was a house with a huge mirror shined window with the sun glare reflecting on it and in front of it was a pool. You could swim down in the pool through a long tunnel that lead to another opening somewhere else and there was a huge dinosaur/dragon looking enemy there. The whole thing looked really trippy and surreal as dreams do. The anon said the level wasn't good and I was arguing that it was one of the best levels in the game in terms of layout and everything else.

The dream changed and I was at some airport hotel lobby, and there was a woman standing there near the reception. Some receptionist was making snide comments about how she thought some weird enemy (again made up) from Mario 64 was good. I also thought the monster was good so I started laughing at the receptionist along with the professional looking business suited dressed woman with great legs. It was like irl greentexting.

I should leave.
>>
>>3070403
they should have held onto them. I bet they could have sold them in the current hipster age for quite some cash.
>>
File: goesubmarine.png (106 KB, 320x218) Image search: [Google]
goesubmarine.png
106 KB, 320x218
>>3070464

The Goemon and Treasure games pretty much justify owning a N64 since emulation is shit.
Also the Bomberman games.
>>
>>3070297

The 32X and the Virtual Boy were also failures and you could find them for like 5 dollars back in the early 2000s before the retrocollecting fad started.

The 64DD has always been expensive as fuck as far as I can remember.

>>3070403
If there really is only 15 units then I guess that explains it.
>>
>>3070273
>appreciate it for what it was
Yep, the N64 is definitely the best at being a N64. No Saturn or PlayStation can say they're as good of a N64 as the N64 is.
>>
>>3070279
Yeah, I wish there way some way of knowing why things that are in low supply cost so much...oh, well.
>>
>>3070787

>that passive-aggressiveness
>>
>>3070404
N64 emulation sucks dick. Even Wii/Gamecube emulation is more accurate.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.