[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT Games you remember playing but don't actually exist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: mysterygames.jpg (22 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
mysterygames.jpg
22 KB, 500x333
Are there any games that you remember playing, but can't find anything about them ever existing anywhere?

In my case there is a lot, here are a couple:

It was a PS1 game. I remember watching my older then-stepbrother at the time play this game. The people he played as can shapeshift into cats. I remember he was running around as a cat in a back alley and the setting was at night with street lights on, and was inside some kind of castle looking place. I remember him running around as the cat with possibly other animals or cats following behind him. He then opened a door and that's pretty much all I remember.

The game was on PC and it was Top-Down and half 2D and half 3D. I remember that you collect these jewel or gem type of things, they were differently shaped and could be green, red, etc. I remember you were in some kind of vehicle and had to search for these things. There was very little light, with only a little visible area that moved around with you. I also remember you could click and drag the map around with your mouse to see all the gems you collected on the map. I also think you had a base you had to defend, but I'm not entirely sure. The game took place on some kind of rocky planet, I remember the music being sort of creepy in atmosphere. The game came pre-installed on a Gateway PC from 2005.

What are some games you can't find? Maybe someone here can help!
>>
Only one futuristicish flying game for the PC, quite basic 3D graphics from what I remember, but I played the shit out of it.

Literally all I can remember.
>>
I remember playing some arcade game about 25 years ago about kids with big round heads & ballcaps who ride on skateboards, and beat everyone up in their path with said skateboards. I've put this up a couple times on those "help identify a game" threads and only suggestion I get is DJ Boy, but I swear that's not it.
>>
I remember an old learning software game about a group of kids living in a tree in order to teach about ecosystems and botany. It was a flat, corss section view of the tree, the under ground, and the canopy, with all the dialogue fully voiced.
I remember specifically one of the boys sitting in the underground section and remarking how cozy it was for him.
>>
>>3068885
Hardwar? Descent? Wing Commander? Elite? How basic of 3D are we talking here? And was it a shooter, trading simulator, mission based? Surely you can remember at least that.
>>
File: image.png (350 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
350 KB, 960x640
I'm pretty sure i saw a playstation mecha game, was like custom robo, i just remember that the customization screen had a blue background and i also saw the training mode wich also was on a blue or green scenery, it wasn't any armored core nor omega boost and was actually more similar in combat to zone of the enders, please help
>>
I remember some Commando-esque game for the Commodore 64 but horror-themed.
>>
Amiga game, you control a green goblin-type monster, i think it plays like dig-dug. You can go into a screen where you see a giant version of yourself (big green goblin) wiping themselves with a towel. I've mentioned this game on /vr/ before but got no reply. I'm starting to think this game exists only in my head.
>>
I swear I recall my cousins playing this game on the SNES that reminded me of Zelda, but the palette I recall (smooth black and white) makes me wonder if it wasn't something on the Super Gameboy accessory. I recall walking into a castle or something with a ton of beds and being able to step into the bed, between the covers, which struck me as novel. I love RPGs and have dug up a lot of old gems, but nothing like this.
>>
>>3068885
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uswy7qdylwo
>>
>>3069374
The bed thing sounds familiar. Can't you do that in one of the Pokemons?
>>
>>3069483
I seem to think this was a year or two before Pokemon existed, but I'm fairly confident that generations 1 and 2 had beds as static objects and you'd just make a "bump" sound walking into them.
>>
PC maybe DOS adventure/point and click.

The only detail I remember is a dragon-type monster flying around the keep of a warm colored castle in the distance. If you try to enter the castle, it would swoop down and kill you.

That's all I've got
>>
File: 121002201.jpg (407 KB, 850x1198) Image search: [Google]
121002201.jpg
407 KB, 850x1198
>>3068914
It could be its sequel, B. Rap Boys.
>>
File: Wendy_the_Good_Little_Witch.jpg (54 KB, 253x303) Image search: [Google]
Wendy_the_Good_Little_Witch.jpg
54 KB, 253x303
I remember being six or seven and going to a pizza place that had an arcade machine with a fantasy platform game, first level was set in the woods, with typical fantasy/horror enemies. I'm pretty sure it's Wardner, but I distinctly remember!ber the character looking more like Wendy Witch, like a cute witch girl in red, than the man Wardner guy. Also my memory of the first level doesn't quite line up with wardners first level.
>>
An arcade cab with two weird horizontally sliding rods for controllers that could be pushed and banged against each other, without ever really touching each other.
Like this

-----!-----!-------

Where you could push the ! Along the - lines

The game was a collection of two player challenges that urges players to use their irl strength to push the other player to the other side of the machine

Shit was crazy fun
>>
Back around 1999-2000 there was a fan made online Dragon Ball Z game. I remember it being amazing. Similar to what Budoukai Tenkaichi would be but way earlier, where you could fly around in a 3d environment, power up, go super saiyan, shoot signature blasts. This game did exist, but I recall funimation or something put a stop to it and made them change all the characters to original characters non dbz related. I think people stopped playing after that. Anyone else remember this?
>>
A "rpg" top down game that was exclusive to Windows NT. I found the demo on some Windows CD Demo.
I still have no idea what that game could be?
>>
File: cat game reddit.jpg (220 KB, 926x727) Image search: [Google]
cat game reddit.jpg
220 KB, 926x727
>>3068820

Is that you, Whiteshinigami?
>>
>>3069374
Though it wasn't black and white, Mystic Quest did this.
>>
>>3070018
Bid for power. Was a quake mod if I remember right.
>>
>>3069497
It's definitely not that one either.
>>
File: 63374_front.jpg (45 KB, 384x547) Image search: [Google]
63374_front.jpg
45 KB, 384x547
not retro but street boyz for ps2
nothing turns up about this anywhere ever. apparently my younger cousin says i played this at his house and got really far but i dont remember any of it. theres actual hard swearing in this game
>>
>>3069495
I was thinking of the Legend of the River King, not Pokemon, but that's probably not what you're looking for.
>>
Not really related since I didn't play it, but I remember going to a retro vidya store about 10 years ago, and I always see an SNES cartridge labeled "The New Adventures of Johnny Quest".

Recently I searched online, but I got nothing, which is really odd. Does that mean I left an alternate universe?
>>
>>3070184
I keep wondering if perhaps Mystic Quest isn't it, but I can't tolerate it long enough to get anywhere that looks familiar. Maybe I should.

>>3070293
Reasonably certain it was all knights and castles, but thanks anyway
>>
>>3070347
Was it Ultima on the Gameboy?
>>
OP here, didn't expect to get so many replies, which is a good thing. Since a lot of anons are posting here, I think I'll go ahead and put the descriptions for the rest of the games I'm looking for:

There was this one game I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet. I remember playing it at my cousin's house back in the 90s. It was a game where you use this white glove to select things, I remember there being a flashlight you had to pick up with the glove and use. I remember there being stars on the walls, It was a point and click type of game that was either on SNES, Sega Saturn, or Genesis. I definitely remember the game being in 3D though. I always thought it looked like Sonic's hand, no idea why.

There was also this other game, it was a NBA game or some type of Basketball game, it was 3d, and I remember that every time you press pause and unpause there would be these things floating around everywhere (like little round ovals, or spheres with words in them). Not sure what system it was on. But it was a game from the 90s as well that I also played at my cousin's house around the same time I played the other game.

The third game was 3D and was on the N64 or PS1. The only part I remember is that there was a cutscene showing the top of a mountain with something sparking at the top of it. You had to go all the way up to see what it was. That's all I remember. I also remember there being a hawk or something flying around toward the top.

Fourth game was a PS1 game. I watched someone play this at their house in the early 2000s, around 2000-2001. I remember that you play as this girl dressed like a cop, and there was a room where some kind of eel or tentacle monster attacks you if you get close. I remember it being in a white room of some sort. The eel thing was in some kind of structure, like a fountain or something. I looked this up on Google before and I saw something similar in Resident Evil but I'm almost certain that the room was white.
>>
Fifth game I remember my then-stepbrother playing was a PS2 game that had Samurais in it. There was different types of samurais in his charatcer list, of which all he created himself. It was a fighting game like Tekken or Street Fighter, but with samurai swords and the like. The game's main focus was creating samurais, you could make them however you want them to look like, provided you use what the game gave you.

The sixth game I remember was from about 1999 or 2000 when I first played it. It was on PC. It was a South Park game. Designed similarly like the tower defense game. All of the characters were stacked on top of each other, you had to cross the street with the characters and make sure Kenny doesn't die or it's game over. I can't find anything about this game, other than something about tower defense, which is a newer type of game.

The last game I remember playing was a game about some kids that could transform into monsters, it was a PS1 game. You could also transform into a wizard among other things.
>>
>>3070371
Very interesting, though it doesn't look quite right. Now I'm not sure "Zelda" would be the best descriptor. Maybe something more in the vein of this or Dragon Quest. So hard to bring up memories from 20+ years ago. It must have been in an inn or something because I seem to remember a ton of beds, possibly on two floors, but on the same screen.
>>
>>3070401
I'm trying to remember if any of these games had areas that looked like beds, but there are two Rolan's Curse games and Final Fantasy Adventure which were gameboy games that are vaguely Zelda-ish. Being able to walk behind the covers on a SNES though reminds me of Seiken Densetsu 3, but I don't remember any balck & white areas.
>>
>>3070595
I'm familiar with FFA, since it got remade into my favourite Mana game, as well as SD3, but it doesn't seem to be those. I'm going to have to assume that either I'm crazy or it's secretly Mystic Quest. Either one is equally likely.
>>
>>3070397
you first game is probably Kengo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8gWj9uywk
this look familiar?
>>
>>3068820
>3-4 years old memory dodgy
>went to parents friends house for bbq.
>they had a nintendo
>playing double dragon? But it had no back grounds. Had brown floor template like batman, had blue and red guy like contra?

I also locked myself in their bathroom because i was a little shit.

WAS THAT REAL GAME GUYS? Double dragon looking conra dudes with a black background?
>>
>>3070607
Mystic Quest does vaguely look like it could be GB game with it's graphics, ofc it has a way bigger screen.
>>
>>3070617
Renegade?
>>
File: image.png (78 KB, 350x240) Image search: [Google]
image.png
78 KB, 350x240
>>3070383
Was the fourth one chaos break?
>>
>>3070613
That could be it. But I remember the character select screen having a character previewer with stats and all, like you could see their model and everything.
>>
>>3070675
Not sure, but the game had tank controls like Resident Evil.
>>
>>3070862
I think it had, it is also pretty bad
>>
>>3069008
>>3069454
Sorry, basic but not that basic. Not as advanced as Descent but not as basic as Starfox or w/e. Definitely had that polygon graphics thing though. Used to play it on our ME home computer. I have a nasty feeling it was probably from a bin in PC World so I probably will never find out what game it is.
>>
>>3068885
Was it Terminal Velocity?
>>
I keep remembering this game with feels a lot like Captain America and The Avengers, but was for the PS1 or something.
Maybe it actually WAS that game and my memory is faulty.
>>
>>3069374

You can do that in literally every final fantasy, chrono trigger, seiken densetsu, breath of fire, etc.

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>3071279
I don't think so no, I can remember flying around valleys in the game, that's about it.
>>
>>3070621
The more I think on it, I'm almost certain I remember blue tinting, or something blueish about the main character, so maybe it wasn't entirely black and white. I'm getting more and more certain it must have been Mystic Quest after all, since it's the best match for the time period. Thanks for trying, though.

>>3071350

Try reading the thread next time. This was already discussed and the games mentioned were either late, unavailable outside of Japan (SD3), or clearly far too colourful.
>>
I remember playing Killer Instinct 2 for the SNES at a Nintendo convention as a kid. I probably remember it wrong, it was a huge convention and I never read reports that other people saw it.

They did have the Nintendo Exertainment Life Cycle though, that's for sure.
>>
>>3071427
>Try reading the thread next time.

Try not being a faggot. I was talking about the fact that this idiot had never seen it before and acted like it was some super unique "feature". It's in everything.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.