[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
were they the ''Romero and Carmack" of the arcade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: Cdscgi.jpg (49 KB, 630x387) Image search: [Google]
Cdscgi.jpg
49 KB, 630x387
were they the ''Romero and Carmack" of the arcade scene?
>>
what did he mean by "get over here"
>>
>>3068279
No, Eugene Jarvis taught Boon everything he knows and was a Real Man. Boon stole all IP from Tobias and exiled him from arcade gaming forever.
>>
>>3068279
you mean douchey and overrated?
>>
File: 1458103719989.jpg (94 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
1458103719989.jpg
94 KB, 500x390
>>3068318
>Boon stole all IP from Tobias and exiled him from arcade gaming forever.
Yes, that's the reason why Tobias left. Not the fact that he didn't want to be stuck to one franchise for his whole career and wasn't happy with how he had less creative control over things and Special Forces being a disaster.
>>
>>3068389

man I remember the hype for SF was huge
>>
>>3068389
so Tobias was like the Tom Hall of the arcade scene?
>>
>>3068279
I had the exact same t-shirt tbqhfamalam
>>
>>3068279
Carmack is a literal Genius and Romero has an eidetic memory, they created an entire genre and changed the way 3d games played and basically invented modern netcode. Boon and Tobias are just two nerds who happened to use a new technology in the most baseline way to rip off Street Fighter 2.
>>
>>3068279
Not the arcade scene. But they redefined fighting games in my opinion. Absurd amounts of realistic and unrealistic violence with over the top gore and insanity was very intense at the time and shocking to a lot! I remember getting scolded by my parents when they caught me playing it in the arcades. I remember most of my friends parents being very against it as well.
>>
>>3068747
It was always "that game" we were never allowed to play.
>>
if I remember right, when Tobias tried making his own stuff after leaving Midway, it was a bunch of crap.
>>
>>3068279
2 goons who made joke fighting games that were always in Street Fighter's shadow?
>>
>>3068747
>redifined fighting games
>mutters on about the laughable amounts of ridiculous violence
>mentions nothing about gameplay elements or moving the genre forward

Atleast you're basically admitting the gameplay was shit and that it was about comedic violence and edgy teens playing a taboo game, rather than actual game mechanics.
>>
>>3068764
>Atleast you're basically admitting the gameplay was shit and that it was about comedic violence and edgy teens playing a taboo game, rather than actual game mechanics.
I don't recall anyone ever pretending it was otherwise back in the day. Just nebulous "MK is better than SF" declarations. It was just a serendipitous dose of cheesy violence.
>>
>>3068791
This. MK has never been played as a "serious" fighter. It's in the genre, but closer to a party game. Which is what made it so great and popular.
>>
>>3068751
So just like Romero then? :^)
>>
Midway is the least talented of all the established gaming studios.

Mortal Kombat was a mediocre game but it became a big hit due to the controversy it attracted due to it's gore.

Midway games tend to attract the kind of gamer "crowd" that are really into wrestling games, sports games, racing games.
>>
They have no talent, the art is ugly and unrefined and they shamelessly pump out sequel after sequel of crappy franchise games.

Midway games is basically what happens when you have a room full of 100IQ people making games.

They lucked out.

Most of their games are popular with white trash types.
>>
Not even Romero and Carmack are the "Romero and Carmack" of anything. Games are made by dozens of people collaborating, not one or two auteurs who control their game's development with an iron fist.

See: Everything id has made except for Doom.
>>
The bargin bin industry is forever in debt of Mr Tobias and Boon
>>
>>3068279
Boon was notorious for being an incompetent with no idea what he was doing. There's an old story about how he wanted to remove throws from MK II and the PROGRAMMERS had to sit him down and explain to him why that was a horrible idea.
>>
File: super_mario.jpg (983 KB, 2183x1158) Image search: [Google]
super_mario.jpg
983 KB, 2183x1158
>>3068937
>they shamelessly pump out sequel after sequel of crappy franchise games.

A video game company doing this??? Say it ain't so!
>>
>>3068408
>man I remember the hype for SF was huge
...Really?

I'd never even heard of it until like 2009.
>>
>>3068968

http://www.ranker.com/list/midway-games-games-list/reference

Supposedly a list of the "best" midway games.

Every single game in that list is a dumbed down racing or sports game aimed at a white trash audience or a shameless rip-off of other companies successful franchises.

No creativity, no innovation, nothing original or interesting in that list. Basically games is the type of game that would be thought up by a bunch of guys having a BBQ, drinking cheap bear in their backyard and wondering what a cool PC game would be like.

All that midway games has going for it is violence and oversized tits of female characters.

There is no comparison to nintendo
>>
>>3068979
Lol you have some very strong opinions there, kiddo.
>>
>>3068984
Maybe strong but the dude's not wrong
>>
>>3068987
He's not too far off base, but it's funny how trolly he's being over it.
>>
>>3068408
You mean anti-hype. Everyone knew it was going to be hot garbage like Mythologies. We were all just excited to see how bad it was going to be.
>>
>>3069001

Midway games to video games
what cheez-wiz is to cheese
>>
>>3069012
Careful with that axe, Eugene.
>>
File: 1185453998971[1].jpg (29 KB, 407x546) Image search: [Google]
1185453998971[1].jpg
29 KB, 407x546
>>3068279
Was he the ''Romero and Carmack" of 80s computer games?
>>
>>3069029
Yes. The question is, are Romero and Carmack the Garriot of the 90s?
>>
>>3068979
Doesn't change the fact that NBA Jam is the best game ever or that Cruis'n and NFL Blitz were badass as fuck.
>>
>>3069110

I don't hate Boon or Tobias.
They went out there and made something.
I hope they enjoy their wealth and they deserved to.

All I'm saying is that Midway games are low-tier bargin bin spin-offs type trash
>>
File: BzNNb6bCUAENOjD[1].jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
BzNNb6bCUAENOjD[1].jpg
12 KB, 250x250
Was she the Richard Garriot of getting her titties out?
>>
>>3068976
Did you hear about it from the cool kid at grade school?
>>
>>3068389
And now he's working for Zynga while Boon is raking in millions with the best selling MK to date. Tobias dodged a bullet there.
>>
File: 1423405997848.jpg (466 KB, 1286x1050) Image search: [Google]
1423405997848.jpg
466 KB, 1286x1050
>>3068961
Maybe Boon was onto something...

But yes he was/is incompetent. He couldn't even figure out how to make a character switch sides and keep their weapon in the correct hand. Then goes on to blame the character for it and call him shit for the next decade.
>>
>>3069226
That image always makes me laugh.
>>
>>3069196
The games he makes might be crap, but it's probably a nicer job than being stuck in the quagmire of trying to make successful fighting games.
>>
>>3069251
for you
>>
>>3069196
I never said he made the best decision.
>>
>>3068961
He was the only programmer.
>>
>>3069226
To be fair, they did eventually figure out Drahmin's club problem

rip Drahmin
>>
>>3069226
Character wasn't Scorpion and wasn't played by a spicy Latino. Why would "He"-Boon care?
>>
>>3068742
It's funny how doom babbies never miss an opportunity to suck carmacks and romeros cocks.
>>
>>3068279

You just know they kept the girl costumes "for nostalgia."
>>
This is Garriot's evil brother.

>>3069065

Garriot is both rolled into one, therefore superior.

>>3069139
Ye
>>
>>3072669
>Garriot is both rolled into one, therefore superior.
literally who

protip: RPG is gay and sucks
>>
>>3073016
Fun fact about Garriot. He bought an old Soviet rover that's currently on the moon and is trying to legally establish that he owns the moon. He surveyed the land (looked through optics and received data) and tilled the soil (disturbed the soil with the rover's treads). He argues that this is the definition of land ownership. Garriot owns the moon.
>>
File: 1427511380251.jpg (32 KB, 813x577) Image search: [Google]
1427511380251.jpg
32 KB, 813x577
So what's the shittiest kharacter in the Mortal Kombat universe?
>>
>>3074715
Bo Rai Cho, probably in his case literally

But Jacqui now is a top contender too.
>>
Is Ed Boon Spanish or Arab? Or a mix of Black?
>>
>>3076089
I think he's part Armenian or something. Definitely more middle-eastern than black or mexican.
>>
>>3069251
>but it's probably a nicer job than being stuck in the quagmire of trying to make successful fighting games.

>trying

Kek, get a load of this shitlord.
>>
>>3069226
>2D MK with digitized actors and different sprites for each side fucking never ;_;.
>>
>>3074715
Top Tier:
Sub-Zero, Quan Chi

Edgy Tier:
Scorpion, Shao Kahn

Everyone Else Sucks Tier:
Everyone else

But These Two Suck The Worst Tier:
Striker and Kabal
>>
>>3074715
Jarek. Is lazy enought to have the lazer fatality without even having a cyborg eye nor explanation for it.
>>
>>3076851
The explanation is Boon's shitty programming.
>>
>>3068760
>in street fighters shadow

b& detected. It was a cultural phenomena on par with Kurt Cobain, Marilyn Manson, Kanye West. No parent knew or gave a shit about street fight. MK was in the news all the time. It sparked huge debates, it's place in pop culture history isn't debatable.
>>
>>3068968
Yeah but those are generally good games. I say they average out to 8/10 ! Anon stop trying to be edgy. Why not use SONIC as an example instead?
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.