[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /vr/'s stance on emulation on smartphones or small
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
What is /vr/'s stance on emulation on smartphones or small tablets?
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 744x615) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 744x615
>>
File: 1425982241814.jpg (70 KB, 744x615) Image search: [Google]
1425982241814.jpg
70 KB, 744x615
>>
>>3067264
You're a big guy
>>
>>3067293
>>3067301
>>3067302

?
>>
>>3067264

What do you mean by /vr/'s stance?

I can't really think of anything inherently wrong with it. There's probably not much to discuss.
>>
using the touch screen basically sucks for anything that isn't turn based, using a bluetooth controller has an insane amount of latency. not really worth bothering with imo, i just use a psp go.
>>
>>3067264
Sure I guess. They're whatever.
>>
>>3067264
I do it for jrpgs, anything else is a bitch to control plus you have your thumbs covering the screen
>>
File: DSCF3446.jpg (573 KB, 2816x1864) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3446.jpg
573 KB, 2816x1864
>>3067264
Most people find button games very annoying to play on a touch screen. A setup like pictured would probably work if made well.

Personally I love the way retro games look shrunk down onto a small screen.
>>
>>3067264
Bluetooth controller or GTFO. I can't think of a worse platform.
>>
I use a ps3 controller with a OTG cable to my phone and have no issues.
>>
>>3067264

I have a MOGA controller for my phone that I use to play GBA/GBC games and it works very well. Although it's a bit of a drag to start it up every time, it's still a good choice if you're looking for something cheap. I got it on Amazon for like 7 bucks.

However I plan to get something like a PSP Go or that Xperia Play, until I have enough money to buy actual consoles and cartridges.
>>
>>3067264
I keep trying but it never works well. Having my DS4 hooked up to my phone helps but it still feels awkward. Only game I feel works well on it is Curse of Monkey Island.

I will admit the smaller screen tends to make games look better. Curse is gorgeous when you don't see huge pixels everywhere.
>>
>>3067559
Get an Xperia Z series phone if you can. Native connection to the controller and runs games like a dream. Plus waterproof, crazy battery life, and a fantastic camera. Best phone on the market if you can get one.
>>
>>3067585

Think I should? I'm definitely gonna look into it, thanks for that.
>>
Nothing inherently wrong with it unless the legality aspect of ROMs bothers you but the experience really is pretty shit on most of them for playing games that aren't designed from the ground up for touchscreen play
>>
Smartphones and tablets (normie devices) are probably the least authentic experience for retro gaming.

If emulation is like listening to low bitrate mp3s instead of the original vinyl then touchscreen shit is like listening to music from the speaker of your phone; not even putting in earbuds let alone quality headphones.

This board should have a filter that detects people using mobile and redirects them to faecesbook.
>>
File: JXD_S5800.jpg (163 KB, 932x720) Image search: [Google]
JXD_S5800.jpg
163 KB, 932x720
If you have a controller hooked up to it it's quite nice if a bit of a battery drain, but virtual joysticks are something that should be reserved for the lower rungs of Hell.

An Xperia play or something like pic related would be idea.
>>
>>3067264

shit battery, just cfw a 3ds i really want homebrew on the vita, it has the perfect resolution for emulation.
>>
It feels insane to me.

Android emulators are wonderful. The compatibility is astonishing. A good phone or small tablet should be the best portable emulator.

But there are no buttons which is horrible.

Button attachments make the experience unweildly and strange. I feel as though I might as well have a PSP and be more comfortable.

I just want a dope Android device built for gaming. Those Chinese things are too fucked up to use.

PSP and DS still best portable.
>>
>>3067310

This. It's passable if you can deal with the input lag. Otherwise if you have a better alternative go with that.

Non-Sony phones who rely on Sixaxis if you're using a DS3/DS4 are currently fucked if you update to Marshmallow for all you Android users out there. But there will be an eventual update at least.

But it does help sometimes. Turf Masters and Puzzle Bobble are great for bad traffic.
>>
Iv'e yet to see a device anyone agrees on that's 100% perfect in terms of build, support, controls and battery life.

I personally don't think smartphones with add on devices are a good solution. That just tosses the portability form factor out of the window. The controller option isn't that much better as you can't exactly play on the bus with it unless you buy a clip, so now you have 3 things to carry, and only 1 of them is pocket friendly.

Not to mention that the smart phone option is a drain of your phone's battery life.
>>
I still have my r4ds with my original ds, and one for my 3ds as well. They work great for emulating.
>>
>>3067585

I have a Z5 and i love it!
>>
>>3067310
Yup. Also the screen gets crazy dirty and hot when the console has joysticks
>>
>>3067264
Touch screen controls fucking suck for emulation. The only games that play well are turn based strategy or RPGs.

What's a good, portable clip on controller that would work with an S3? All I need are SNES buttons, but having two extra shoulder buttons would be nice for PS1 stuff.
>>
>>3067264
>stance
1. Squatting over them pushing the sphincter hard (18+)
2. Kneeling behind licking ass + reach around (<18)
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.