[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the Famicom the first videogame console sold in Japan? As
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: fam.jpg (276 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
fam.jpg
276 KB, 3000x1688
Was the Famicom the first videogame console sold in Japan? As far as I know Atari consoles were never really a thing there. I know pc gaming existed to some degree there, but I've never heard of a Japanese console before the Famicom.
>>
>>3066246
1. Nintendo had their Pong clones aka Color TV Game 6/15
2. Some company sold Ataris under their own name before Atari 2800 appeared
>>
wasn't the msx out before the famicom?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_Vision
>>
>>3066246
Jebus kid. Not by a long shot.
>>
>>3066263
MSX came out about the same time as the Famicom. The MSX standard was announced on June 16, 1983 a month before the Famicom's introduction however it was likely a few months before any were available to consumers.
>>
>>3066246
The Sega SG-1000 was test-marketed in 1981.
>>
man, the famicom sure was freakin' ugly.
>>
File: size_matters.jpg (74 KB, 615x619) Image search: [Google]
size_matters.jpg
74 KB, 615x619
>>3066484
It's pretty compared to the NA/EU NES though.

Interesting that they made it big just to be big, same with the turbo16 contra the pc-engine.
>>
>>3066484
I think it's pretty cute desu. Especially with all the different colored carts they got.
>>
File: zemmix.jpg (17 KB, 309x226) Image search: [Google]
zemmix.jpg
17 KB, 309x226
>>3066263
>>3066390

But the MSX is a computer.
The NEC PC88 (and the pc98 was released before the famicom) and Sharp X1 was released earlier than the MSX but they hardly count right? You could count the Daewoo Zemmix "console" versions of the msx however their release was around the same time of the famicom i think? And they were anKorean affair.
>>
File: famicon.jpg (30 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
famicon.jpg
30 KB, 400x299
>>3066484

You're crazy.
>>
>>3066631
Ok, I get the tiny ones are toys, but what the heck is that big one?

Actually looking further I can't see any controller cables on any...
>>
>>3066659
idk, ask Japan

how do you know the big one isn't the regular famicom?
>>
>>3066246
>that colour scheme

What were they thinking?
>>
>>3066631
>don't talk to me or my sons ever again
>>
>>3066661
Because it isn't proportional to a regular Famicom (I own one, and even if I didn't I'd just have to look at OP's pic). It's too tall. Also aforementioned lack of cables.
>>
File: 2000px-Naval_Ensign_of_Japan.svg.png (151 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Naval_Ensign_of_Japan.svg.png
151 KB, 2000x1333
>>3066673

I wonder
>>
>>3066673
I read that the color choice was inspired by an advertisement for large scale radio antennae which, at the time, were colored alternating white and red.
>>
>>3066497
I've actually had a few discussions with people lately about how electronics and media (tapes, cds, etc) made a weird psychological turn in the 21st century.

From the 70s to the late 90s, the average consumer buying an electronic device still factored in the device's size as how valuable or powerful it was. Consumers also often saw the cost of music/movies/games to be relative to the media they came on. As in, they were buying a tape with a movie on it, not a movie carried on a tape.

With the rise of digital media market and consumers no longer fooled by "big boxes", electronics and media manufacturers don't need to use size and presentation to court their consumers like they used to.
>>
not even the first Nintendo console
>>
>>3066631
From Left to Right:

Famicom
Famicom Alarm Clock
Famicom Memo Note Holder
Famicom Gashapon
Famicom Keyring

Banpresto came out with a big range of Famicom stuff in 2004 for the 20th Anniversary. I still collect it now.

>>3066661
It's the smaller ones that aren't proportional, actually. The memo note holder in particular is a lot wider than it ought to be. For whatever reason, the scale models don't get the width right at all.
>>
>>3066710
>>3066497

Yeah you are right it has something to with americans and their love of giant things in general ( big houses big cars big gulps )
but besides the overblown size NES has timeless design imo much better than famicom.. but that is probably because I like not-so-flashy colors and minimalist box designs etc..

Famicom takes very little space compared to that huge box which is better for a japanese/european home actually ( dunno why they always went with american design in europe just becoz we are west ? ). And you always see americans complaining about famicom controllers being attached to the thing and how they can't play shit with it. something japanese never even considered as a flaw probably in their smaller spaces

and the cartridge slot on nes and they way you have to put in games is just fucking dumb ( it's really anti-functional ) maybe they were going for a vhs type of thing ? so people would feel familiar and buy it ? then they switched to a more logical, classic design with the snes after getting some brand recognition

>>3067537
>>
>>3067613
The nes is just a gray block; it's got even less charm than the first generation of vcrs.
>>
>>3066536
All consoles are computers. No?
>>
>>3067613
>the overblown size NES has timeless design

It's a fucken block.

>imo much better than famicom.

That's because the famicom design is lame and gets a negative score. It's like a gamecube-lite design-wise.
>>
>>3067951
....continued: you know what console had a great design? The N64. Perfect design and colour. The last great feat of Nintendo before they started fucking up and going a bit crazy.
>>
>>3067958
>5th gen gonsole
>cartridge slot
shit design
>>
>>3067951
>>3067861

Yeah but that block still looks better than %95 percent of all the consoles ever created
.That's the reason why if you look at computer cases after the aerodynamic fad and alienware etc gayness from early to mid 2000s...faded lots of things we have today are blocks ( in the expensive-ish ones at least )

That's all you need anyways.

After trying weird shit for the fuck of it every once in a while a block is what they usually come back to (ie gamecube wii u or any other new generation console ) They aren't necessarily great but generally better than %90

>>3067958
I always thought it looked shitty with the cartridge and ok without it maybe if they placed it somewhere else.
Their translucent colored version could have been great nowadays with leds and shit ( even though like I said I don't like weird shit that much) but as an option it would be really fun. A see translucent green/orange n64 with some lights in it etc... glowing in the corner changing colour that would be fun to look at at night
>>
File: FamilyBASIC.jpg (82 KB, 450x647) Image search: [Google]
FamilyBASIC.jpg
82 KB, 450x647
>>3066536
>famicom
>fami com
>fami kon
>famiri konpyuuta

the famicom was a legit computer in japan, tho.
>>
>>3068049

You had the option to turn it into something that you can write stuff in BASIC
IF you paid extra to buy family basic and then you had to pay even more to buy the cassette recorder to be able to save the shit you made.

Most things considered computers back then already came with a keyboard and those options and more.

But they did came out around the same time I think and were competitors in the gaming scene at some point
>>
>>3067951
You're either some decrepit wizard of virginity who is going senile, or an underdeveloped child who is subscribed to PewDiePie and plays Minecraft on their iPad.

The GameCube is one of the most aesthetic and beautiful consoles ever made. So much utility as well.
>>
Nintendo started with Game and Watch pocket devices, so they know there's a big market for gaming machines. While it might be capable of more complex functions, it's obvious Nintendo intended it to be primarily a gaming machine.
>>
>>3068102
Ehh. Famicom was basically a computer without an internet browser, which today sounds ludicrous but back then the internet hadn't really taken off yet. Especially in Japan. It could still connect to the net and give you info about stuff like weather, the stock market, shit like that. Sure it was sold as an entertainment device but so were other computers.

I'm curious though. The Super Famicom basically did this again with the Satellaview add-on, but without that add-on it was just a game console right? Same for the N64 and the Disk Drive?
>>
>>3066683
kek
>>
>>3068074
A proper computer cost 100,000 yen upward.
A basic MSX would cost 50,000 but needed drives while a FC plus Family Basic only cost 30,000.

The biggest issue I see is the incompatibility with the FDS, low amount of RAM and lack of Kanji ROM.
>>
What I find most impressive about the NES/FC is how fucking beastly the machine was for 1983. Before it, there was the Colecovision and Commodore 64, and despite being a year newer, the NES

It took Sega two years to design a console with superior color and RAM, but it also fell short in some other areas the NES excelled at. Namely, sprites couldn't be flipped by software, they had to be drawn twice. And it had the same weaknesses as the NES, it could only display up to 64 sprites on screen, and it could only display up to 8 sprites per line before flicker kicked in. The SMS wasn't even capable of beating it entirely.

That wasn't enough, so it took them 6 years to design a console that was overall superior to it, the Mega Drive. The TG-16 was the first console to beat the NES hands down, four years later. The Commodore Amiga was able to beat the NES in raw power, in just two years, but that's to be expected with professional use equipment.

Nintendo, or anyone for that matter, will never make a console like it ever again. The NES was a stroke of engineering genius.
>>
>>3068595
Whoops. And despite being a year newer, the NES was able to beat the Colecovision and C64, at least on paper for the latter. The C64, in practice, could do some things the NES could only dream about, though it's not entirely fair considering most C64 devs were Europeans, and those guys were far more computer literate than the Americans or Japanese were. But the C64 needed advanced tricks to meet, and beat, the NES, which used basic programming logic.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.