[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you clean your carts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10
File: 129959.jpg (74 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
129959.jpg
74 KB, 1000x1000
>God Tier: Electrical Contact Cleaner

>Good Tier: Rubbing Alcohol

>OK Tier: Brasso

>Shit Tier: Windex or anything else
>>
I just use rubbing alcohol. I've heard brasso is good, but I've never personally tried it.
>>
>God Tier: Electrical Contact Cleaner

Yes use abrasives. Good job retard.
>>
Hmm, I don't know about that wd-40 contact cleaner. Your best bet is high percentage isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Can't go wrong.
>>
>>3065532
Brasso is only good if there's a bunch of shit on there, works better at removing heavy grime. Maybe for thrift store games
>>
>>3065536
>says it cleans sensitive electronic material and is plastic and metal safe right on the packaging
>Hurr you're going to damage your carts durr
>>
>>3065542
Are you honestly not trolling?
>>
>>3065542
You know any WD products are dissolvents right? WD 40 stands for Water Dissolver 40. They're all abrasive. That's the point of them. Windex while not very good isnone of the best things to use. Warm soapy water is best. Which is why it's recommended by the manufacturer for cleaning contacts.
>>
>>3065551
it stands for water displacement douchebag
>>
File: NES Cleaning Kit.jpg (454 KB, 1000x1448) Image search: [Google]
NES Cleaning Kit.jpg
454 KB, 1000x1448
>>3065551
>>
>>3065558
I don't think they sell those anymore.
>>
Rubbing alcohol as the 1st wave. If that doesn't work, a pencil eraser which has always done the job where alcohol fails.

Incidentally, do any of you guys ever give the shell of your cartridges a polish? A light dab of alcohol on cloth does wonders for that too. Seriously, take a NES game which you think looks clean and give it that spit-shine. You'd be surprised the layer of brown that you'll remove from it.
>>
>>3065552
That doesn't make any sense. Who told you this?
>>
>>3065608
From the official site of WD-40:
________
"In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry."

"Working in a small lab in San Diego, California, it took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40® -which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today."
________
So case in point, it keeps the water off metal, ie, "displacing" the water, so it doesn't rust the fuck up. And now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
>>
Magic eraser for those annoying marker or stickers on the cart Just dont rub the games sticker!. Alcohol and a q-tip for the circuits then air dry. You dont need too much alcohol,just a dab or 2..
>>
Any tips for stickers on labels?
>>
i take keyboard cleaner and put it in my mouth and press and huff it real hard and play nes games while i do it
>>
>>3065667
put it in a fucking bag pleb then huff. You don't spray the stuff in your fucking mouth.
>>
>>3065536
>>3065542
You're a special kind of retard.

Electronic contact cleaner is not an abrasive. It is literally designed for cleaning electronic contacts.

For those that don't now:

Electronic contact cleaner is better because it's a spray and the spray will remove debris and anything solid that may fuck with the contacts. Using alcohol and q-tips can leave behind solids which can mess with the connectivity.

Electronic Contact Cleaner -is- undisputedly the best. Alcohol is a pretty good alternative, usually good enough to get the job done.
>>
File: 1451589576.png (289 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
1451589576.png
289 KB, 540x360
>>3065551
>dissolvent
>not knowing what WD-40 is
>>
>>3065531
Semen
>>
>>3065674
Yea it disolves water times 40 retard
>>
>>3065672
It's an abrasive you fucking moron.
>>
>>3065663
Use a hair dryer on low heat to loosen the adhesive. Try and keep it localized as possible on the offending sticker. CAREFULLY pick at it with your fingernail. This works for me about 90% of the time. The only time it wouldn't work was on an N64 cart with a clear Blockbuster sticker over THE ENTIRE FRONT LABEL. Assholes.
>>
>>3065620
Keep in mind, Wd-40 is also a product line of lubricants and cleaning products of varying quality. Wd-49 has a kind of mythic status among Americlaps and the name alone will sell units. Their white lithium grease spray is fairly good.
>>
I almost always use 0000 steel wool on the contacts of the cartridge games, you just need to be gentle and it works great.
>>
>>3065532
It's what I use when alcohol isn't enough. It just smells weird
>>
>>3065565
Only white eraser the pink ones are too abrasive. Especially the shitty paper mate brand
>>
>>3065893
NOOOOOOOO
>>
>>3065531
WD-40? Pfft. Nice try kid. I trust only one brand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wBkNjTKgs
>>
>>3065636
Magic eraser can be to harsh and smooth out the texture on the carts. It happened to me. It works best on already smooth carts like n64. And for sharpie marks I just use alcohol and lots of patience. BTW NEVER USE ACENTONE IT WILL MELT THE PLASTIC
>>
I had snes carts with stickers on the label I took a chance and got lucky. I see it as shits fucked anyway why not. But what I did was very carefully and slowly picked (not peel) the sticker off with my nail.and the cart labels most of the time are stronger than the stickers on them so that's why it's possible and lightly I cleaned it off with alcohol and cutting pads
>>
Cotton * fucking auto correct
>>
>TFW not a single faggot ITT knows you can clean carts by blowing on them
>>
>>3066273
Yes, it really works great, and doesn't remove the gold plating if it's not already worn off or green with corrosion.
I also can check for any liquid d a damage or other damage inside the game since you have to open it.
>>
God tier: Denaturat
When you're done cleaning you can drink it.

Protip:
Just add sugar coz it's bitter as fuck.
>>
Windex and a Mr Clean magic eraser.
>>
>>3066425
Enjoy your broken carts
>>
>>3065608
nigga you dumb as fuck
>>
What's great is some resellers on ebay will "clean the discoloration" on NES games by scrubbing the contacts down to the silver color. Fucking savages.
>>
>>3067047
Brasso is usually their secret cleaning solution.
>>
I'm a lazy fuck, so i usually just lightly scrape the dirt off with a flat head screwdriver.
>>
>>3067057
the fish with the hook in front of him dot j peg
>>
>>3065716
>It's an abrasive you fucking moron.
Either laughably shitty troll or you are the biggest retard ever.
>>
>>3065536
>>3065542
>>3065551
>>3065552
>>3065620
>>3065672
>>3066274
Who gives a shit about wd 40 anyway goddam you guys are Fucking retarded
>>
File: Gold_Jewellery_Cleaner_Dip_1.jpg (29 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
Gold_Jewellery_Cleaner_Dip_1.jpg
29 KB, 420x420
plebs
>>
>>3067098
Isn't using any kind of oil bad for electronics? Spray any oil or grease on the buttons of gameboy, and they stop working.
>>
File: MG-801B-P[1].jpg (12 KB, 800x471) Image search: [Google]
MG-801B-P[1].jpg
12 KB, 800x471
master race
>>
>>3065668
It's still not a chemical you get high from you dumb faggot. You are literally just depriving your brain of oxygen. Like Nigga, just hold your breath.
>>
>>3065608
He's actually right.
>>
>>3067115
RIP your contacts
>>
>>3065536
The contact cleaner is a mixture of hexane and isopropyl alcohol with an aerosol, no abrasives. See http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/bluework46895721.pdf

>>3065551
WD-40 is a brand name you idiot. That can of cleaner isn't the water-displacing no. 40 spray the term originally referred to.

>>3067165
Why would you think that? It depends on the properties of the oil. The right kind like hexane dissolves grime without penetrating your materials and evaporates away.
>>
File: chrono triggered.png (1 MB, 1194x667) Image search: [Google]
chrono triggered.png
1 MB, 1194x667
>>3067742
RIP in Piece*
>>
>>3066947
Still work. How about that?
>>
>>3068426
You're still an idiot. Magic Erasers are micro-abrasive.
>>
If its dirt, spit.

Ink wd40 or googone.
>>
>>3068426
You can throw it on the ground and it will still work. But I don't do either because I have respect for my things and know it will damage them over time.
>>
Some fucking herb at the flea market who resells asked me if I knew how to clean games when I was buying some cheap and dirty NES titles from him.

I said yes and he went on this long fucking rant about how you should never use isopropyl alcohol or q-tips.

I asked him what he used and he said "always windex and a rag."

Never bought from him again.
>>
>>3067742
Fuck you on about, nigga? You drank some bleach?
>>
>>3069662
Windex is mostly water now, but it might still have ammonia in it that will work, but is not great for the contacts.
>>
Hydrogen peroxide with Q-tips.
>>
Blow em.
>>
>>3070140
Jesus Christ are you retarded?

Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer. Congrats on corroding that metal.
>>
>>3065531
rubber eraser.
srs.
>>
>>
>>3070704
Just clean the residue off with alcohol afterwards.
>>
>>3070704
Unless theres a bunch of grime on there, how is it better than a q-tip and alcohol?
>>
>>3071919
Now that guy, but it's somewhat abrasive, and most games that don't work are green or tarnished badly.
>>
>>3066403
I believe it, I used to be an auto detailer and we'd buff windshields with quadruple ought steel wool. .
>>
as expected, a bunch of idiotic suggestions. it's better to not clean things at all than destroy them with harebrained cleaning ideas.

I'd suggest 99% isopropyl alcohol applied with microfiber cloth. if you choose to water it down, use only distilled water.
>>
>>3066281
Use the product goo-gone to remove stickers and sticker residue. It's 20X easier than rubbing alcohol.
>>
How do I remove marker?
I used isopropyl alcohol but there still remains some.
I have Magic Eraser but its a NES cart which is not perfectly smooth.

Also how do I remove pen marks from the paper label of the game?
>>
>>3072206
Did you let the isopropyl alcohol sit for like 5 minutes? Anyway, if letting it sit doesn't work, try upgrading to something more nonpolar like contact cleaner.

For the love of god don't use acetone/nail polish remover. You'll ruin the plastic shell.
>>
>>3066403
Nooooo steel is waaaay harder than gold and aluminum. That's definitely abrasive man! You're definitely scraping shit off! Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening! Just use contact cleaner like a sane person!

Jesus Christ why are there so many people cleaning electronics in the most ghetto and damaging ways in this thread! Magic Erasers, hydrogen peroxide, and now steel wool? Contact cleaner was designed for this shit!!

>>3071985
Buffing is removing shit though!
>>
>>3072715

I assumed the steel wool guy was trolling. how much more abrasive can you get? I'm waiting for someone to suggest sandpaper and lye.
>>
>>3072715
You can use magic eraser to erase off marks on the cart itself.
Also for my ways of cleaning i use rubbing alcohol and q-tip's. It worked on a cart that had bits of dust residue in it.
>>
>>3072715
The contacts are copper, plated with tin, then gold on top, not aluminum.
What do you think the 72 pin in an nes is made of?
The original ones are gold plated steel which scratch you games when they are tight.

>>3072723
Quad zero is the finest steel wool you can find, it's the equivalent of 600 grit sandpaper, which is used to smooth the clear coat of cars finish.

I'm not sure what magic eraser grit is, but it's probably 1000 or higher when wet.
>>
>>3066425
Well someone has been watching Adam korlak on YouTube. He's to stupid to know that magic eraser needs to be wet and he scratches the living shit out of the consol like that "ya you can see the mark is now gone" well there is a huge scud mark
>>
>>3069747
Kirk he's butt hurt
>>
>>3071985
I also detail cars and steel wool works great with crome
And windshields but the gold is to soft. If you go lightly it will clean it but it's to harsh. It won't destroy the game right away but it will refuse the life of it.
>>
File: 20160318_023803.jpg (1 MB, 1596x935) Image search: [Google]
20160318_023803.jpg
1 MB, 1596x935
>>3072838
If you don't believe me, here are some pictures of before and after with rubbing alcohol and the other side quad zero steel wool.
>>
File: 20160318_023852.png (2 MB, 1443x771) Image search: [Google]
20160318_023852.png
2 MB, 1443x771
>>3072917
Now the other side after fine steel wool.
The middle pin is still dark, but it doesn't connect to anything, same as the other side.
>>
>>3072917
>>3072925
I know it works but it should be a last resort.
>>
>>3072939
Unless you rub like crazy you won't do any harm in my experience, and stuff like brasso or cook top cleaner are worse for the gold plating.
I agree that rubbing alcohol is the best for just cleaning dust and minor grime from games, and you don't have to open the game to do it, but some games need more thorough cleaning or they'll never work.
I've also done the pencil eraser then alcohol trick with some success, but again they have to be opened to do it.
>>
>>3072949
Ya once alcohol don't work I usually open the game up.
>>
>>3072925

it probably has microscratches.
>>
>>3065531
I do a layer of brasso then a layer of alcohol
>>
>>3072994
Yeah, but nothing like what the systems cart connector puts on them, and the game works now.
It's SW Rouge Squadron, former rental from blockbuster and it cost me $1.
>>
>>3073005
Same here. The smell of brasso just punches me in the face.
>>
>>3065531
You want Blast-Off not that fucking made in China WD-40 shit.

Idiot.
>>
>>3073005
This all day son
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.