[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1980's arcade games that had 3D graphics. I, Robot (19
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: I, Robot.jpg (17 KB, 256x332) Image search: [Google]
I, Robot.jpg
17 KB, 256x332
1980's arcade games that had 3D graphics.

I, Robot (1983}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmvWxG2zvs8

S.T.U.N. Runner (1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgpj6fZQ4U&list=LLV1FMcdmOEPVhOybhgcgIIQ&index=5
>>
>>3065257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G01FZUtIMX0
>>
>>3065359
Impressive. Good framerate too.
>>
>>3065257
>both developed by westerners
Just saying, Japs are notoriously bad with tech.
>>
>>3065257
Damn, I am genuinely impressed that a game like this was made in 1983. I mean that gives Star Fox, a game which came a decade later, a run for its money.
>>
>>3065584
more 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDxiVpgjiM
>>
My question is, what made arcade cabinets so much more powerful than both computers and consoles?

Was it the large size of the cabinet that could allow for bigger motherboards and larger cpus?
>>
>>3065601
Arcade boards are typically bigger than consoles, but the main reason cabs are so big is to stop people breaking or stealing them.
>>
>>3065596
That's one isn't quite as impressive. Maybe it's the wireframe that makes it seem rudimentary to me.
>>
>>3065601
Dedicated hardware.
>>
>>3065596
That game uses vector graphics. I'm talking about REAL 3D graphics. Like polygons and shit.
>>
>>3065605
Its vectors. Wireframe is badass tho.
>>
File: jizz in my pants.jpg (30 KB, 720x442) Image search: [Google]
jizz in my pants.jpg
30 KB, 720x442
>>3065794
> Wireframe is badass tho.
Not as badass as 3D polygon graphics in 1983.
That shit makes me jizz in my pants.
>>
>>3065430
>being this defensive
>Japs out of nowhere
>Japs bad at tech: I'll take the Meiji Restoration for 500, Alex.

LOVING EVERY LAUGH
>>
>>3065430
Yeah and both are examples of shitty Atari games. A company so cancerous, they literally imploded the NA videogame market with a flood of terrible games, attempted to make a comeback and got completely blown out by Jap consoles in the 90s. GG
>>
>>3065764

They may not be textured or even filled, but those are still 3D polygons.
>>
>>3065817
> Shitting on Atari

So many punk ass kids with no respect.
>>
>>3066763
>respecting Atari
Atari was/is headed by retards.
>>
>>3065817
>A company so cancerous, they literally imploded the NA videogame market with a flood of terrible games
Not only is this statement demonstrative of your gross ignorance of the subject, your analogy is also wrong and highlights your equally gross ignorance of oncology.
>>
>>3066883

you have to be 18 to post on 4chan
>>
>>3067094
thats why we have atari consoles today right grandpa?
>>
>>3067097

we dont have sega or neogeo consoles too. Are those shit, right? Why dont you fuck off back to >>>/v/ ?
>>
File: 3demon-2.png (29 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
3demon-2.png
29 KB, 800x500
>>3065257
I had this game on PC in '84. It's not amazing, but for the time Pacman in 3D was pretty amazing.
>>
>>3067124
You guys keep posting games that have 2D that gives the illusion of 3D as opposed to true 3D.

>>3065359
This is what I am talking about. Good work on whoever posted this. You know what I am talking about.
>>
>>3065601
When you could stay at home and play games on a console or PC and you had to drive or walk to your nearest arcade to play their games, they needed an incentive for people to pick the latter so they were willing to invest more into high-end hardware, fancy presentation or specialized gameplay gimmicks
>>
really cool 3D scrolling effect on this prototype vector game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddwJp5ynagg
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.