[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should you modify retro systems, or keep them intact for purity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (453 KB, 2420x1199) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
453 KB, 2420x1199
Should you modify retro systems, or keep them intact for purity?
>>
Depends on the mod.

Power supply replacements, RGB, and DD emulator are great for example.
>>
Keep them pure, emulate if you need better video.
>>
>>3064983
>>3065012
Fuck off. RF is trash, period. It's not worth "preserving the original" when it's just garbage.

I have an RGB modded toploader with a power led. Best NES you can get as of now.
>>
I'm generally okay with anything that doesn't modify the shell of the console, Drakken glue bukkake is NOT okay though. I don't mind hardware mods but don't drill out any more holes than are already there. Try to preserve the original shell as much as possible. TRRS jack that fits inside the RF connector is pretty clever. Reproduction Nintendo multi-out ports fitted for RGB and component are also nice.
>>
>>3064983
Depends what your objectives are. If you're looking at long term resale value you'll want to leave them as is. If you want a better machine to play then mod. Personally I keep them intact until I've collected enough spares. Then I'll keep the ones in bet condition intact to sell to overpaying faggots and fix up and mod a few for personal use.
>>
>>3064995
DD emulator?
>>
>>3065175
Like the Rhea or GDemu. Something to replace the laser on a CD console.
>>
Mods are fine if you can make them look nice. I'd prefer keeping my consoles as they are though. Composite is still widely used and I find it to be good enough for retro games.
>>
I keep everything I own original.
>>
>>3064983
As long as it's an overall improvement, you can afford a replacement, and it doesn't look like an unholy mess, mod the fucker.
Purity is for all of the systems still sitting in their unopened box.
>>
>>3064983
I do performance mods, but not "beatification" mods like painting a Link or Mario on it.

I RGB mod the consoles if they don't have it native, and installed the fm sound to Master System. Also changed the slots on SNES and N64 in order to play japanese games.

I don't plan to resell anything, so don't care if it hurts aftermarket.
>>
>>3064983
Gonna get a lot of pro-RGB mod faggots in here, but no, never mod. Consumer CRT+composite is the way to go for authenticity.
>>
>>3064983
If you care about the "purity" of gaming hardware then you need to reassess your values.
>>
>>3065320
Look at the toploader in the OP. It's composite + stereo audio. That's not component.
>>
>>3064995
This. These are required mods. Anything else is ricer shit.
>>
If it's unobtrusive it's fine. If you're gonna paint shit that's fine too, as long as you start with something that's already fucked like a yellow NES/SNES.
>>
>>3065376
What are you talking about? Literally no one mentioned component except you.
>>
>>3065482
My guess is he meant to write authentic.
>>
>>3065174
Not to call you a total retard, but you're retarded.
A/V modded consoles always sell for higher prices.
Source: I sell a/v modded famicoms, tg-16/pce and genesis consoles.

Hell, I even threw an svideo jack and rca a/v out on a snes before. It was my personal snes and I didn't want to wait for, possibly shitty, svideo cables. I eventually got a mini and sold my modded snes for nearly 100 ameribucks.
I'm no scum, I always start my listings at US$0.99

Also, you'd be surprised how much more bundles go for when you include svideo and audio cables.
>>
>>3065529
hijacking a bit, but any other seller tips? I'm pretty green
>>
>>3064983
You /should/ do whatever you want. Life is short, system "purity" doesn't mean shit in the longrun.
>>
>>3065534
Clean clean clean everything. Show the consoles running, l use a pvm-14m2 because it fits nicely on my photo bench.

I also include pics of the actual mod, inside the console. Because of that I take the extra steps to ensure my work looks as good as I know that it is.

Always start at 99ยข. I've done quite the research just from my listings, but they always go higher than my estimated BIN price. I've sold a Sega CDX for over two hundred bones, started at .99

Oh, and put slightly personal touch to your listings, as well as using proper grammar, etc.

Lastly, always offer free shipping, unless your item is excessively heavy/oddly shaped. I've never lost money on shipping with a low starting bid auction.
>>
>>3064983

It's a piece of plastic not a historical relic

do what you want to it so it lets you play the games you want to play
>>
>>3065543
Starting at 99 cents is super risky if you're outside the US or not selling something popular.

If you list God of War 2 on PS2, it's selling for 99 cents.

Starting at 99 cents isn't bad advice, but you also have to accept that it could very well sell way lower than you're asking.
>>
>>3065581
>Starting at 99 cents isn't bad advice, but you also have to accept that it could very well sell way lower than you're asking.
That's what reserves are for.
>>
Keep it as is. Once FPGA emulation is here this type of modding is going to be unnecessary.
>>
>>3064995
>Depends on the mod.
>Power supply replacements, RGB, and DD emulator are great for example.

Thought you meant 64DD emulator that interfaces with the n64...
>>
>>3065702
If you're doing reserves you might as well just list it as buy it now. You clearly already know what you want for it.
>>
>>3065765
Flashcarts can run 64DD games now, no need for anything else.
>>
>>3065809
How? Doesn't the 64DD have extra hardware?
>>
>>3065814
Nope, just all the hardware needed to read the disks and a modem. The English release of F-zero X even had all the expansion stuff translated.

http://64dd.org/dumps.html
>>
>>3065803
the point is you can get more than what you're willing to let it go for
>>
>>3065529
I'm sure in your limited experience of modding beat up old thrift store finds and selling them to hipsters you're 100% correct. There's a whole other world of collecting where people want unmodded CIB systems that you're somehow unaware of.

I wouldn't be surprised at anything you say. I've been moding systems since the late 70's and have heard every wise crack younglings who think they're clever have come up with in the last 30 years.
>>
>>3066120
2/10 you forgot to say kiddo
>>
do north american super nintendos come with rgb?
>>
File: snesntsc[1].png (3 KB, 512x286) Image search: [Google]
snesntsc[1].png
3 KB, 512x286
>>3066818
the original SNES outputs RGB natively. the scart cable has additional components inside, see pic

the SNES mini/jr requires modification and an amplifier
>>
>>3066852
does this make scart better?
>>
>>3066818
Do you need to worry about all this RGB mod stuff if you're Europe since everything uses SCART. Are there any non-RGB consoles in Europe that need mods?
>>
>>3066901
A lot of the PALshit console are actually inferior for RGB or have quirks. Saturn namely.

Most consoles still need passive components added to the cables. Some sync cleaners.
>>
>>3066918
All this RGB stuff is fucking confusing. Can you explain why they're inferior?
>>
>>3066920
You need specifics and I'd need to reread the wikis.
Big problem these days is getting PALshit working with scalers.

American so I don't deal with that.
>>
>>3066925
Post wikis pls.
>>
Do whatever you want with your belongings.
>>
It's fine as long as you're not some business fag buying up all the available inventory to scavenge parts to make another more useless product.
>>
>>3064983
It is yours. Do whatever you want with your shit.
>>
>>3064983
I stick with pure
It's difficult enough to find a system without much damage to it but to go and take a perfectly fine one and drill holes into the case and add all this extra shit is an abomination
I have no problem modding broken/busted consoles however and it's not like their hard to find plus you'll already be going through the effort to make repairs so there's no loss there
>>
>>3065529
Why would you AV mod a Genesis?
>>
>>3067363
You have no punctuation.
>>
>>3066901
>Are there any non-RGB consoles in Europe that need mods?
Off the top of my head, NES, N64, SNES mini, Master System 2, 2600, probably most gen 2 consoles desu.
>>
I not only added PAL/NTSC and Jap/Eng switches to my Megadrive, I cut off the notches that stop you fitting Japanese games in the slot even though I have a Game Genie.

#YOLO
>>
>>3067438
That's a pain. Are those systems RGB in the US then?
>>
>>3065027
Oh yeah power LEDs and incorrect color pallettes are totally worth ruining a system for, go fuck yourself. The best NES you can get is an unmodded AV Famicom. Stop pretending to emulate and just emulate already.
>>
>>3067484
Do you have some kind of mental condition that prevents you from looking stuff up that can be Googled in five seconds or do you just like wasting people's time because you're too dumb to know how to find information online?
>>
File: 1349470806327.jpg (21 KB, 400x330) Image search: [Google]
1349470806327.jpg
21 KB, 400x330
>>3067512
>Stop pretending to emulate and just emulate already.
>>
>>3067514
Second one
>>
>>3065027
>composite
It's barely better than RF. Snes/64/Genesis can support S-Video without modding anything. I'm not against modding your system. But If you have a CRT modding your nes is asinine. Also it already has composite.(front loader) If your Euro trash you can even use scart for most of your shit. No mods needed.
>>
Some mods are taking it too far and cause you to lose authenticity.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.ca/2014/10/console-upgrading-overkill.html
>>
>>3067592
>Genesis can support S-Video without modding anything.

No.
>>
>>3067592
>It's barely better than RF.

On my Genesis the difference was night and day.

Do the quality jumps from RF<Composite<S-video<Component=RGB differ depending on console?

Is RF acceptable on 2nd Gen stuff like Atari 2600?

Does RGB Scart affect the audio quality since all the wires are so close together?
>>
>>3067612
Between different consoles? If you take a look at the RGB output of a genesis vs its composite, it's a huge leap.If you RGB mod an N64 or something though, you'll see a difference, but it's not nearly as impactful.

If you're asking if there's differences between two of the same consoles...maybe?
>>
>>3067612
SNES had surprisingly clear RF from what I remember. Megadrive and C64 did not; the problem wasn't as much the image quality, but the fact that the image was "swimming" in a pool of sync interference.

Composite gave you a stable, rectangular image, with no rollover/ghosting.

SNES RF had that too - the image was just less clear than Composite.
>>
>>3067606
>authenticity
I don't know of anyone playing the game authentically.
>>
>>3067612
>Does RGB Scart affect the audio quality since all the wires are so close together?

If you use a shitty third party cable with no shielding, you'll get a ton of audio noise, and possible image ghosting/rollover as well.

Better cables have at least the audio shielded, some even have the RGB pins individually shielded.
>>
>>3064983
Well I'd keep em intact from retarded mods such as a stereo NES alright.
>>
>>3067363

What's the reasoning for not wanting a console that is objectively better?
>>
>>3067627
The original scart cables for these consoles had no shielding.

Idk about jp21.
>>
>>3067627
How can you assess the quality of a cable without taking it apart and destroying it?
>>
>>3067629
I think you mean subjectively better.
>>
>>3067645

Well, I guess if you care about aesthetics over what a console can actually do.
>>
the only acceptable mods are Tony's Poop tier ones that were done in the 80's and 90's like plastering garbage pail kids stickers and nintendo power stickers all over your NES. Everything else is garbage.
>>
>>3067694
If it requires a mod, the console can't 'do it'. If it outputs RGB or S-Video natively, go for it. The NES for example does not, and was literally designed around composite video and a CRT.
>>
>>3067639
If you have to ask then it doesn't matter to you.
>>
>>3067729

>the console can't 'do it'.

So you're telling me you can't mod a pc-engine or a snes mini for RGB?

>If it outputs RGB or S-Video natively, go for it.

Except that for some consoles, you need to mod them to get rid of jailbars. Give me one good reason why you shouldn't mod your genesis to get rid of jailbars.
>>
>>3064983
Is there anyone who can do this mod? There was a guy I found online but he wasn't taking orders.
>>
>>3067772
Learn to solder. As these old consoles get older and older it'll be a good skill to have.
>>
>>3067729
>>3067645
>>3067363
Most of these mods is just adding a few wires and passive components. The console are capable already of outputting rgb.

For NES it's a different story.

>>3067772
Good luck.
>>
>>3067484
No.
>>
>>3067780
>>3067782
I don't want to fuck up and ruin my Top Loader due to inexperience.
>>
Literally why bother modding? All that extra expense and effort for a minimal gain. I played via RF all my days and it's fine.
>>
>>3067804
Yeah, RF is fine, and if fine is good enough for you then that's fine.

But some of us want something a little better, and some of us even enjoy doing the mods.
>>
>>3067787
Good luck.

Make a buddy with someone that can do it.

I personally wouldn't do it because people go full retard when it comes to shipping. I'm not dealing with the shitsotrm when some dumbass ships a console and it cracks from poor packing.

>>3067804
I prefer RGB.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks rf looks fine on a crt? So many people bitch about it, but it seems just fine to me.
>>
>>3067875
Set up an appointment with an optometrist.
>>
>>3067875
A clean RF signal on a good CRT looks great, imo. I play my NES-101 unmodded and it has bad jailbars, but with the right tweaks on my TV it's bright and colorful.
>>
>>3067875
RF is way more prone to distortion and having a really shoddy picture.

It can look "acceptable" but I would always take composite over RF.
>>
>>3067890
>composite
Is that the phono one?
>>
>>3067875
Rf and composite are fine. It's how 99% of people played the games. I prefer RGB now that I know about.

Kids and hipsters think it's RGB or nothing though. It's the cool new hip thing. Gives them nerd cred.
>>
>>3067758
I didn't say it wasn't possible, but if it requires any kind of mod, it clearly wasn't intended by the manufacturer.
>>
>>3067782
U just told me what I said tho
>>
>>3067904
Neither are flashcarts, import games, and other odd non retail carts/accessories.
>>
RF only has mono audio so it is a disservice to your ears as well as your eyes.
>>
>>3065471
>ricer shit

Greetings, br/o/
>>
>>3067910
Oh that's a good reason, even though I don't mind rf personally. The tv I had though has no native composite/av support so it virtually made no difference even with a switch box.
>>
>>3067904

>it clearly wasn't intended by the manufacturer.

Yeah, so?
>>
>>3067885
20/13 vision brah.
>>3067886
Yeah, I have a nice crt and my rf cables aren't beat to hell so they don't really distort at all.
>>3067896
See that makes sense, I get preference. The people make it sound like its absolute gutter trash that can't be played. Happy to know it's just some hipster BS. Obviously the quality will improve some, but rf can be made to look pretty good as long as your cables and connections are fine.
>>
>>3065027
RF video is fine. If you get the right output cable for Sega you don't have to fuck anything up.
>>
>>3067970
That's the best you could muster?
>>
>>3068241
In fairness, his point is better than yours.
>>
>>3064983
This is what separates collector-fags from the people who actually want to play retro vidya. Among other things.
>>
>>3068325
Not really, if you want to just play games then emulate.
Modding isn't necessary to enjoy your games
>>
I like the to mod without modifying the console in any way

Grafxbooster
Powerbase FM
Flashcarts
Game genie anti as 64 hack
And others on non /vr/

If it changes it in any way I am hesitant to do it. Did scart/w 3.5mm audio>breakout>transcoder>component on the MD when a stereo audio s-video mod would have suited me fine.
>>
>>3068334
No, but for people with the passion and the technical ability, it's a fun supplement of the hobby, especially since, if you're not underage like myself, you probably actually already own most of this hardware and software.
>>
>>3068342
But that's the exact reason I'm hesitant about cutting mine up, they're full of memories.
>>
>>3068342
Sure but there's no reason to drill holes and fuck around with perfectly fine hardware.
>>
>>3068379
Unless you don't fetishize plastic and want the hidden potential out of an old system.
>>
>>3067904
the intention of the manufacturer of not optimizing the video quality is to lower costs.

since YOU are paying for/performing the mod, the original manufacturer is still avoiding the cost

in the realest way, it's consistent with the intentions of the manufacturer.
>>
>>3068384
I would feel bad if I damaged my console I've had since I was 12. It's not fetishized, it's family.

HD Retrovision might come out with component cables making all the rgb cable mess avoidable. Vr is blowing up right now as well who knows what might be developed in the coming few years. I'm waiting for ext port implementation
>>
File: milky holmes autism.gif (1 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
milky holmes autism.gif
1 MB, 600x338
>>3068491

>It's not fetishized, it's family.

It's fucking plastic. The point of a console is to play video games. Modding it makes it better at playing video games. If you have an issue with modding consoles for better a/v capability then that means you care more about collecting shit than actually play video games.
>>
>>3068267
'In fairness', it's really not though.
>>
>>3068267
or maybe I should say, 'yeah, so?'
>>
>>3068679
It is, actually. "Doing something because you can" versus "not doing something because it wasn't intended" is a no-brainer.
>>
>>3068371
Understood. I actually got "lucky" and had to re-buy a bunch of old consoles because mine weren't compatible with some of the mods. My SNES was too old, and my N64 was too new. I also did buy another NES for the RGB mod because I read it was a difficult mod to complete, and I didn't want to risk destroying my childhood NES. It ended up being much easier than I though it would be, though.
>>
>>3067970
SO IT IS IMPURE!
>>
>>3068679
In fairness, he pointed out that you didn't have a point.
>>
>>3064983
people have always modded consoles and home computers, just look at all the hacks and mods for i.e the C64. So even modding is retro - why not do it today? RGB mods make the old consoles more attractive to the modern age so in my opinion it rather helps to preserve them and keeps them from getting thrown away.
>>
>>3064983
There's no such thing as purity and if I ever get in the mood to buy a new console I'm definitely seeking out modded ones first.
>>
Modding can be cool to improve a console. I think stuff like turning an NES into a DVD player is fucking dumb.

Of course, I think we can agree that alternatives to modding are favorable. I hope these component cables for SNES and Genesis from HD Retrovision turn out well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L56i383PuoU&ebc=ANyPxKoH42j_nPTWxGBB_LWimW5foxBZ-xzM_0bPZtD_LOcsol4Z6gNN0_ie6TBDgnLOCseG4iPWsrvmzdUhIp3ycFCH6908eA
>>
>>3069997
Oh they will. You'll essentially get what SCART users experienced in the 90s.
>>
>>3069997
>>3070021
Nice shill work.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 399x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 399x355
>>3070050
Thanks fur noticing!
>>
if you want to sell them later keep them intact if not then do whatever you want
>>
>>3068527
You can care about games just as much about games playing on rf to a zenith as you can rgb to a bvm.

Nothing wrong with modding but it doesn't make you the president of video gaming.
>>
don't get your turbo duo modded

NEC intended the capacitors to leak acid onto the board.
>>
File: 1457740091312.jpg (609 KB, 2064x1161) Image search: [Google]
1457740091312.jpg
609 KB, 2064x1161
>>3064983
>Should you modify retro systems?
Wheeljack thinks so. And Wheeljack is never wrong.

Except for that time he built retarded robot dinosaurs.
>>
>>3064983
I can't decide. RF is crappy, and it's fun to make an old dog do new tricks. But something special gets lost when the original design is monkeyed with.

Whatever, It's your machine to do with as you please.
>>
File: 1346797034776.jpg (44 KB, 512x388) Image search: [Google]
1346797034776.jpg
44 KB, 512x388
>>3071179
>Implying retarded robot dinosaurs isn't the best idea
>>
>>3071196
>But something special gets lost when the original design is monkeyed with
Pretty much every mod to increase video quality does absolutely nothing to harm a system's physical appearance. at most you might have to cut a hole to install a new port, but that's about it. I don't think anything special gets lost.
>>
>>3071213
Pretty much every mod involves a tard cutting ugly holes in a console with his moms scissors.
>>
>>3070725
That's a repair not a mod. Maintenence=/=modificaton
>>
>>3072038
Not really since most people are modding it in the process using radial caps or even ceramic.
>>
>>3072028
>triggered by tiny holes in the back of a console that allow for 500% better video quality
Faggot.
>>
>>3073291
>Triggered by someone laughing at the large odd shaped holes you cut in your consoles with mommies scissors.
Fagglet
>>
>>3073323
>giving a shit what the back of the console looks like anyway.
Homersexual.
>>
File: Inspector Ritsu.png (304 KB, 352x462) Image search: [Google]
Inspector Ritsu.png
304 KB, 352x462
It is you console and it isn't like you cannot buy an additional one as well.
>>
>>3064995
This.
>>
>>3072040
If I use an aftermarket repair part on my car it isn't modded. Is fixed.
>>
>>3074134
How young are? Seriously?

The car has been modified.
>>
>>3067737
what the fuck is this?
this is why people call this board hostile you fucking baby
>>
>>3074304
It's as I said. If you have to ask then it clearly doesn't matter to you.

Sorry we can't help you nerd cred.
>>
>>3065803
>>3065702
>>3065581

Are there seriously people this fucking sheltered that they don't know how the concept of an auction works?

Auction is the purest form of marketing in some ways, it directly sets the price paid of an item in line with consumer demand.

You set a reserve in the case of an item that is clearly WORTH a certain price but risks missing out on it's target market- Less relevant in the world of eBay, but in the real world an auction is just a roomful of people.

Starting at 99 cents is fine from an ideological standpoint, although even in real auctions an auctioneer starts the bidding at a certain price and knocks it down if nobody bids. If you know what something is worth, you may as well start it off somewhere in the region just to save the hassle of having bids inevitably reach that price anyway.
>>
>>3074309
what the fuck is this?
this is why people call this board hostile you fucking baby
>>
>>3074309
im not that anon retard

i dont give a fuck about cables but if i did you think that knowledge is just gonna pop into my head?
if youre not willing to explain yourself then dont post at all baby
i dont think knowing about cables is much benefit for my nerd cred
>>
>>3074459
>>3074469
Samefag a bit more.
>>
>>3074469
>>3074480
>>3067639
^i was referring to this anon
seeing as you have nothing else to say ill peace out
bye sperg
you should tripfag so rational people can filter you
>>
>>3074487
Sorry your delicate feelings got hurt and you didn't get your nerd cred.
>>
>>3074140
I'm a 33 yr old auto tech.

There are countless revisions to components across countless platforms. By your logic they are all "mods". While correct in the basic sense that they are modifications to the original design. But as they are designed to function as the original with better longevity, efficiency etc. nobody considers them modifications.
>>
>>3074604
Naw you're like 13. No way some one is 33 years old with a functioning mental capacity and has never heard of a product revision.
>>
>>3073374
>not giving a shit what things like
>lives in a basement with no mirrors
>>
>>3064983
Modifications should be utilitarian in nature only.

Add an RGB amp or clean up audio? Cut the CIC power or add a new 72-pin? fine.

But for the sake of all that is holy, don't fuck the aesthetic. Use black rocker switches on black consoles. Not huge ugly metal toggle switches. And, if possible, hide them. Like if you're doing a TG16, put the a/v ports under the dust cover.
>>
>refusing to make your games look and sound better because it'll change how the console looks

So basically people against a/v mods don't actually play retro games? Because sacrificing video/audio quality for aesthetics seems to go against the purpose of a console, which is to play video games.
>>
>>3075238
Or they look fine as they are?
>>
>>3075253

But why wouldn't you want them to look better? Do you really care more about the way your console looks than the way your games look?
>>
>>3075254
If I thought retro games didn't look just fine the way they were, I wouldn't play them. I would play newer games, which look different.
>>
>>3075259

a/v mods don't change the actual graphics, they just make the output look clearer. RGB is clearer and has better colors than composite.
>>
>>3075302
If it was designed for it. Nesrgb colors are wonky. Probably because the console doesn't even encode rgb on its own.
>>
RGB mods and region free/60hz mods are almost mandatory on some consoles.
I see it negative when the mod starts to change the visual appearance of the console. While I do suggest region modding, I can't stand consoles having different colored LEDs or butchered cartridge slots.
>>
>>3076345
>region free
>60hz
Fuck that.
>>
>>3076353
Getting a modded PAL SNES is pretty great for those Twinbee games and Terranigma. The console also looks much better compared to the american shitbox.

or you could just buy a Famicom
>>
>>3076359
Where did you mod your SNES?
>>
>>3076359
PALshit will always be PALshit. Mods don't fix it.
Fuck pirating mods.
>>
>>3076362
My house
>>
>>3076363
>PALshit will always be PALshit.
After the mod it runs perhaps a frame slower than the NTSC version. Not like you'll notice, even playing the two side-by-side.
>>
>>3076371
Maybe on a CRT. Good luck with a scaler.
>>
>>3076373
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>3076374
The odd refresh rate of modded 50hz consoles have issues with scalers.
>>
>>3076390
Huh. Didn't know.
Not like I'd spend money on one when I can get a damn fine CRT for pennies.
>>
>>3076396
Ya those 40" CRTs
>>
>>3076404
Who would want a 40" CRT?
>>
>>3076406
One of the main reasons you buy a scaler.
>>
>>3076408
I just don't understand why you'd need such a large screen for undetailed games.
>>
>>3076410
Nice things. Something Europoor wouldn't understand.
>>
>>3076415
Are you buttmad about SCART or did some Europoor slav take your shit job at McDonalds?
>>
>>3076418
Why would I care about scart?
>>
File: 1388967181521.gif (763 KB, 450x255) Image search: [Google]
1388967181521.gif
763 KB, 450x255
>>3076424
Lost cause.
>>
>>3076428
Not sure why you Europoor fetishize a shitty proprietary connector?
>>
>>3076453
Enjoy your 480i.
>>
>>3076480
>480i
What?
>>
>>3076404
>>3076408
Global Rule #2 violation
>>
>>3076486
This may be hard for you to believe since you're 3rd world. But there are TVs bigger than 27".
>>
>>3074320
>don't know how the concept of an auction works?
>in the real world an auction is just a roomful of people.
Irony Lad to the rescue

>>3076496
>40=28
Most people are better with numbers by the first grade. Are you realy that young?
>>
>>3076759
>Most people are better with numbers by the first grade. Are you realy that young?

It's funny how oblivious and ignorant you are about CRTs to not get what I said 40".

Go google away kid.
>>
>>3076226

the nes is the only console like that, though. it's the exception.
>>
>>3076226
>Nesrgb colors are wonky
Negative. It's the system's own composite encoding process that makes the colors "wonky". If you go by most ROMs, the NESRGB board makes the colors much closer to what they were originally intended to be.
>>
>>3076775
It's funny how you make silly comparisons and can't into grammar and call others kid.
>>
What happens when the last retro system has been destroyed at a shitty modder's hands
>>
>>3077520
The in/v/asion will be complete?
>>
>>3065027
>I have an RGB modded toploader with a power led. Best NES you can get as of now.

You know, there's only so many Playchoice 10 PPUs around to steal.
>>
>>3074604
>I'm an unemployed NEET pretending to be my more successful auto mechanic brother who has a real job

Fixed.
>>
File: 1371398283152.jpg (29 KB, 373x358) Image search: [Google]
1371398283152.jpg
29 KB, 373x358
>>3079168
>You know, there's only so many Playchoice 10 PPUs around to steal.
What year do you think this is grandpa?
>>
>>3079174
Projecting.
>>
>>3079168
The NESRGB is the preferred method these days. It uses the console's stock PPU and allows for 3 different palletes.
>>
>>3079180
This is the year of you 0013
>>
>>3064983
You should modify them if you take care to do it well. Your pic is an example of a jackass who doesn't know what rulers are.

>>3067787
Then you should practice? Just go to an electronics and buy one of those solder it yourself practice boards.
>>
lol it's a fucking piece of plastic and circuits with millions of identical examples. mod that shit any way you like desu
>>
>>3079626
>not owning any consoles that had a run of less than millions
That's some god tier pleb faggotry you got there champ.
>>
>>3064983
Keep them intact. There are ways to get good RGB video out of every system without modification, even if it means going to emulation.
>>
>>3074823
>lives in a penthouse made of mirrors
Normies leave.
>>
>>3064995
Region mods are also fine.
>>
>>3079758
congratulations kid, you your hipster cred just reached apple 1 level
>>
>>3065320
>knowing it could be better
>steadfastly sticking to a shit way to do it
>>
>>3082757
You sound mad. Don't cry. Maybe when you grow up you can have nice things to.
>>
I wish my dreamcast wasn't the only console to natively support VGA/RGB so I would have more reasons to use my Phillips 109b2 monitor.
>>
>>3082778
It seems silly to some as the hardware is cheap now. But some people have had theirs since new. Bought with chores, received as a gift or with their own money and don't want to damage or alter it. My dad bought me mine for my 10th birthday. He's dead, I'm a father and there's no way I'm hacking up a cherished memory to have better color fidelity. I could buy another to modify but I'm fine playing it as it was when my dad was showing me how to get to the 1-2:warp pipes.
>>
>>3083936
>RGB
You can fix that easy be getting a few consoles. Most do RGB. Your monitor doesn't though. kek.
>>
>>3084041
Thought about getting those s-video converters but there isn't enough info regarding if it upscales or goes straight through.
>>
>purity
>implying it won't be dust eventually

Play the gaaaames. Let the collectors collect.
>>
>>3084084
>s-video converters
Yeah, don't do that. They're all different degrees of shit.
Your best option is to get a CRT TV with component and the cables/converters to get the RGB from the consoles that output it into component. This will cover you for most things. There are a few things that are RF only and a few more modern ones that just don't do RGB.
>>
File: IMG_4401-4mb.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4401-4mb.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>3064983
>should you?
If you want, fuck yeah.
>>
File: 2pal-compare1.png (343 KB, 1536x961) Image search: [Google]
2pal-compare1.png
343 KB, 1536x961
>>3079331
>allows for 3 palettes

All of which are trash. None of them are nestopia's YUV + 15 degree canonical palette. Even the unofficial ones I see requiring a USB blaster or whatever it's called to reprogram the FPGA are just the shitty desaturated one, which is too purple in the lower end of the color spectrum (reds have a purple tint).
>>
>>3076364
>my house
only acceptable answer around my house too.
>>
>>3084454
What if I get it done by my friend at his house? He said he'll do it for free if I buy him a year supply of hot glue. Sounds like a good deal amirite? How much hot glue could one guy possibly use even in an entire year?
>>
File: hotglue.jpg (2 MB, 1761x1993) Image search: [Google]
hotglue.jpg
2 MB, 1761x1993
>>3086676
Sounds like a good deal, I'd go for it if you are afraid of ruining your console (you almost definitely won't). Unless your friend is Drakon and he's about to coat your entire PCB in it.

Last year I probably used around 10 sticks of hot glue on all my projects put together. That includes a popsicle-stick-and-fan based temporary cooling tray for my laptop. And these were those tiny 'mini' sticks for the small glue guns. Each is 4 inches long and 0.4 inches in diameter (around 10cm long and 3cm diameter). And a lot of that glue later got pulled off when I had to make changes to my mod boards or whatever. Since I don't just put it all over the fucking place, it comes off pretty cleanly.

In my famicom mod I used a custom power supply board and video amp circuit, and used 3 dots of hot glue on the PCB and two dots on each plug and switch I mounted on the back. Plus on the TRS jack I had a bit of glue between the capacitor and the back of the jack to help reinforce the jack. It all came off easily when I had to get under the PCB again.
>>
>>3084453
>blanket statements and generalizations

A lot of the palettes look better on certain games, and less good on others. There is one, that looks pretty fucking terrible on almost every game, but looks really good on a select few.
>>
>>3087629
>>3087629
I am looking for authentic colors, not 'vivid' or 'better' colors. Authentic colors are always authentic, so there is theoretically one palette that handles all games best.

Have another game, this one on a real CRT. One is Nestopia with the canonical palette in retroarch on a Wii, the other is the famicom.
>>
>>3087629
>It's a generalization to specify that a palette is too purple to be accurate, and a generalization and blanket statement to state that Nestopia's Canonical palette is definitively better
>>
>>3088298
Not that anon but the "authenticity" argument for these consoles is beyond retarded.

Are you playing these consoles on a TV made in the year or before it's release? I really really really doubt it. You're probably using some CRT from the 2000s and/or using some professional monitor that almost nobody had access to.

Is your sound set up period correct? If not using the TV speakers.

etc...

These mods are a convenience and upgrade to people that actually grew up with this shit.
>>
>>3088309
>playing a game on newer CRT TV's is not authentic even though they display colors the same way and decode composite video the same way
>This is somehow equally important with GAMES BEING FUCKING COLORED RIGHT

How'd you like it if you played Super Mario Bros., but Mario was blue and gold?
That's an extreme case, but it's an example of why color accuracy matters. TV's use a conventional 15 degree phase shift to bring colors from composite YIQ to RGB. That is a specified standard.
>>
>>3088309
I don't get the nostalgia argument either. I grew up playing on a shitty TV. I have no desire to replicate that.
>>
>>3088336
Like anything just because you mod doesn't mean it's an improvement.

Properly done it is.
>>
>>3088338
>it's "nostalgia" to want colors to be the way they're supposed to look

Alright, I'm done. You're all a bunch of fucking morons.
>>
>>3088309
I often play on an Apple IIe composite monitor.
>>
>>3088341
Good job blowing my post out of proportion, sperglord.

I'd rather play in RGB with my tans a bit yellow than deal with composite.

If Mario is really blue and gold then you have a problem, but it's not that severe.
>>
I'm content playing with original outputs and not comparing or competing. Others want to push the envelope. Do what you want. Neither makes you superior.
>>
>>3088341
>all the TVs in the 80's produced exactly the same picture
>you're the idiots
kek
>>
>>3089053
>if you calibrate your TV the colors are reproducible
>kek
>>
>>3067114
I miss my C64. If only I'd known
>>
>>3089454
You're trying too hard kid who never owned a tube.
>>
>>3067512
>The best NES you can get is an unmodded AV Famicom.
>>
If you're modifying the system so it is able to naturally produce what developers left out, sure. Like the fucking N64 being RGB capable but they left it out MYSTERIOUSLY...?

Same with the NES.
>>
>>3090548
>muh uninformed opinion

The N64 internally generates digital RGB signals. The NES does no such thing. There's a huge difference. The NESRGB board watches PPU I/O and watches for palette changes. But the NES is not RGB aware at any stage.
Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.