[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retro Sports Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 13
File: 5725_front.jpg (29 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
5725_front.jpg
29 KB, 475x347
>Favorite retro sports game?

I'm going with 98 for SNES. God damn my family had fun with that one.

Why is the SNES version of 98 so rare but at the same time so cheap? There's only 13 copies between Amazon and ebay at the moment.
>>
File: cupcak doggi.png (161 KB, 319x321) Image search: [Google]
cupcak doggi.png
161 KB, 319x321
>>3064353
Well other than rosters what separates it from 96-99? Not much. Also the series hit a peak with the masterful NHL 94. 98 is a roster update 4 years removed from the series zenith.
Also
>sports games
>>
>>3064353
Is there NHL games have been launched before 1981?
>>
SWOS
>>
>Why is the SNES version of 98 so rare but at the same time so cheap?

Pretty much because like all other sports games, it just blends in with the other crap that no one really gives a shit about. I don't know if it's rare, maybe really uncommon but even then it's a game nobody wants, its just a hockey game. Keep in mind too it would have come out in '97, which is pretty damn late for a SNES release, so not many copies would have been printed or sold.
>>
>>3064353
shoot to the lower corner
>>
I don't care what anyone says, this game is fun as fuck.
>>
>>3068286
I don't give 2 fucks about american handegg but that game was a fave of mine as a kid
>that one and only time the ambulance stormed the field running over everyone to get an injured player
>>
File: nbajamte.jpg (132 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
nbajamte.jpg
132 KB, 1280x720
NBA JAM TE but only if it's with a friend... because the computer cheats like a muthafugga in that game.
>>
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey for N64 was also great, OP.

Also got a lot of enjoyment out of NFL Blitz and Ken Griffey for N64, and this Roger Clemens baseball game i had on Genesis. I don't think there was much technically special or historically significant, but those were my faves.
>>
>>3068294
I like American football, but I find a lot of the modern games disappointing compared to that one and Tecmo Bowl.
>>
>>3068329
handegg might be alright as a game desu since you can just skip the millions of adverts.
>>
File: nhl93.png (18 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
nhl93.png
18 KB, 640x480
>>3064353

For the simple reason that it was the first one I played. I know the later versions are clearly superior in terms of mechanics.

Goddamn so many hours spent skating around the goal with Steve Yzerman.
>>
File: isis64.jpg (106 KB, 800x562) Image search: [Google]
isis64.jpg
106 KB, 800x562
>>3069225

Forgot about this one despite having the 98 version still around. It's probably next to unplayable today but the curving you could do in this game was beautiful. It could also be abused to score goals from half the field.
>>
>>3064353
>Sports games on SNES
End yourself
>>
File: iss.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
iss.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>3069228
>>
>tfw Mutant League Hockey is expensive now

Are there any "rare" sports games of note?
>>
>>
NBA Jam TE Mega Drive or NBA 2K Dreamcast.
>>
>>3069238
You have to wonder the sort of mind it takes to come up with something like this.
>>
NHL series was garbage. You could easily score dozens of goals per game and never lost once.
>>
>>3069883
Forgot Sensi Soccer
>>
File: 50678_front.jpg (39 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
50678_front.jpg
39 KB, 475x347
Not my favorite, quite the opposite.
Bought this heap o' shit because I hated playing baseball at school and though I would learn to play it well with this.
What the fuck was I thinking
>>
>>3069953

I think you meant SWOS

>>3069335
on neo-geo If you wanna buy non japanese versions they are quite expensive. I have some aes sports games they are expensive
>>
>>3070000

actually even jap versions are pretty expensive
>>
>>3064353
Mario Andretti Racing. I liked that there was gas and tire wear.
>>
>>3069228

This game was great, back when Konami did fun arcade soccer games.
>>
File: baseball stars.jpg (14 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
baseball stars.jpg
14 KB, 256x224
Baseball stars on SNES.

You could develop your players by investing money on training which gave you more stat points to apply.

You could also hire prestige players who simply drew in bigger crowds because they were fan favorites and they earned you more money on a win.

It had almost a JRPG grind mixed with baseball.
>>
File: title screen.jpg (177 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
title screen.jpg
177 KB, 1280x720
>>3070080

Fuck. On NES I mean.
>>
>>3070065

I love the fact that there is such a big difference between different players like tall/short, fast/slow, curves the ball like a motherfucking beckham but that other dude barely hits the goal etc.
>>
If racing games count I have a strong fondness for certain Arcade F1 games like Final Lap, Exhaust Note, Super Lap, and so on.

If not, I've taken a liking to some old SNK stuff like Turf Masters and Neogeo Cup 98. Back then I'd also enjoy some of the old NBA live games mostly because of the Create-a-player and team. 96 on the Genesis and 98.

Lastly, Double Dribble.
>>
>>3070004

Yeah they are :D and they differ a lot
super sidekicks is expensive on both
I have japanese version of 4
europe version is called ultimate eleven and its like 5-6k or more dunno

baseball stars are also expensive nowadays I Think buy haven't checked
they are 200-300 at least
>>
File: dragon.webm (1 MB, 480x448) Image search: [Google]
dragon.webm
1 MB, 480x448
>only one Tecmo (Super) Bowl mention

Tecmo Super Bowl is definitely my favorite for handegg games. I also like Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball for baseball games, Super Soccer for football games and NHL '96 for ice hockey games. The last one is largely nostalgia, though.
>>
michael jordan: chaos in the windy city or get the fuck out
>>
>>3068297
NBA Hangtime was better than NBA Jam.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.