[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games "Aging"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: hume.jpg (3 MB, 3365x4001) Image search: [Google]
hume.jpg
3 MB, 3365x4001
>"A critic of a different age or nation, who should [be free from all prejudice], must have all these circumstances in his eye, and must place himself in the same situation as the audience, in order to form a true judgment of the [artistic work]"

>David Hume
>On The Standard Of Taste - 1757

How should we use this philosophy to guide our future discussion on the merits of retro games, /vr/?
>>
Games don't age.
>>
>Age of Enlightment writing
I'm not going to, but I'm certain I could find some Romantic era writing that says Mr. Hume is full of shit.
>>
There are three ways a game age in the eyes of someone: when that someone is blind, when that someone is a fool, and when that someone is a faggot.

The person is blind when he doesn't see the flaws until someone else points it for him, in the form of critique or by presenting a game mechanic that is superior to the what he had played. For example: older FPS controls, like Goldenye. They might not be awful, but to put it bluntly, compared to later console FPS, it is shit. However, it was always shit, you just didn't notice it.

The fool is the one who expects everything to conform to an ever evolving model. It is the person who question why somebody would like a lives-based system or a repetitive arcade gameplay system. The fool also claims videogames look "much worse now" merely due to his incompetence in conjuring superior graphics in his mind.

The faggot is the super fool and complains about everything he doesn't like. Like a faggot.
>>
>>3064295

The fact that you just said "is shit" negates the rest of your post. Go back to /v/ so you can say "it's shit" there.
>>
everyone is wrong except me tumbahoo
>>
>>3064267
>heeding the words of a scot with no kilt
>>
>>3064267
>someone some time had an opinion

..And I would argue that the best works of art are those which can seem good to anyone from any period in time, from any place in the world.
>>
>>3064337
Bleep bloop in hell, retro faggot.
>>
>>3064295
>For example: older FPS controls, like Goldenye. They might not be awful, but to put it bluntly, compared to later console FPS, it is shit

I think it's fine, not perfect, but not a whole lot worse compared to modern console controls, thanks to the excellent sensitivity of a pristine N64 control stick (not many of those around though).

Why? Because you can actually customize the controls to your liking. If you couldn't, it would actually be shit.

The only thing that is "much worse now" is morons who don't know you can modify the controls in Goldeneye (most likely because they played on an emulator so they never read the manual).
>>
>>3064405
>The only thing that is "much worse now" is morons who don't know you can modify the controls in Goldeneye (most likely because they played on an emulator so they never read the manual).

Sorry I couldn't hear you, too busy playing the game with kb+mouse on emulator.
>>
>>3064407
>too busy playing the game with kb+mouse on emulator.

Well botnetted friend ^^
>>
>>3064337
No, it doesn't. Now go be a fag somewhere else.
>>
>>3064267
I just play what I think is fun now instead of "appreciating" what I think might have been good when it was made. Somehow, I'm here anyway.
>>
File: Skinner.jpg (55 KB, 640x661) Image search: [Google]
Skinner.jpg
55 KB, 640x661
ITT
>>
The topic of this thread has aged like shit.
>>
>>3064295

>older FPS controls, like Goldenye

Goldeneye came out in 1997. Its controls were already noticeably shit at that time.
>>
>>3064631

I thought they were fine in 1997. I don't recall anyone complaint about them. Some people did select different control options, though. 1.2 was pretty popular.
>>
The Goldeneye controls are at least as good as any controls including/especially keyboard and mouse. Just change it to solitaire in the settings, it's not rocket science. Keyboard and mouse makes doing a 180 degree turn in a fraction of a second too quickly and too easy. That's great when you're playing competitively, it's not how real life turning works.

Imagine being so bad at FPS games that you have to play with keyboard and mouse to be able to do it properly.
>>
>>3064267
Dont know who this cuck is but im pretty sure modern art is superior to shitty old art
>>
>>3064274
No one has actually solved the problem of induction so far so I wouldn't be so sure about that.
>>
>>3064984

Says the 10th grader.
>>
>>3065001
Stop taking 0/10 bait, retard.
>>
>>3065005
Not him, but I honestly can't tell what's bait and what isn't on this board anymore.
>>
File: get_out.png (148 KB, 470x474) Image search: [Google]
get_out.png
148 KB, 470x474
None of these "aged" issues would be fucking discussion at all if people would stop being retards and just say clearly what they like/dislike about a game instead of trying to use figurative language to make their criticism sound cooler
>>
>>3064295
Your writing style makes me want to vomit. You sound like an edgy jackass attempting to emulate the writing style of Freiderick Nietzsche quotes you found on fucking wikiquote.
I don't even necessarily disagree with you it's just that you come off like such an obnoxious fuck.
>>
File: preferquiet.jpg (86 KB, 744x615) Image search: [Google]
preferquiet.jpg
86 KB, 744x615
>>3064267
>>
>>3065623
It's regular English, not entirely correct, and it's profane, but I see literally no other way to write those words.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.