[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Sega has never released good port of HOTD1 or VF3? After
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: vf3.jpg (595 KB, 850x1223) Image search: [Google]
vf3.jpg
595 KB, 850x1223
Why Sega has never released good port of HOTD1 or VF3?

After all this years we have only shitty version on Saturn and DC.

"Sega is fucking retarded general thread" i guess
>>
>>3063883
saturn version? thats just an "old wives tale" as they say.
>>
>>3063898
Saturn version of HOTD1
>>
>>3063883
Well, VF3 needed to be a launch title for Dreamcast, then by the time PS2 rolled around, it was VF4's time. It wouldn't make sense to re-release VF3.

Would be great if they re released on modern hardware like the great VF2 port, but Sega stopped doing ports soon after they finally got good.

Poor sales were probably due to years of trash ports by backbone and abominations like Crazy Taxi, but they pulled the plug on everything just as the greats were coming through like JSR.
>>
>>3063883
Fighters Megamix is probably the closest you'll get to a good VF3 port. As for House of the dead 1 that would be hard, you'd have to use shitty modern aiming technology anyway, I'd rather just play the saturn version.
>>
File: 1304938223524.jpg (44 KB, 369x368) Image search: [Google]
1304938223524.jpg
44 KB, 369x368
Releasing awesome ports of HOTD 3 and 4 on PSN, fucking great with Move
>thanks Sega can i have the first two now?
FUCK NO
Releasing awesome port of VF5 FS on PSN and XBLA
>thanks Sega can i have perfect conversions of VF 3 and 4 now?
FUCK NO
>mfw
>>
>>3063968
To be fair, 5 and FS are the current version of VF. Its significantly harder to make arcade perfect ports of 3&4 than it is 2.

I'd love a VF Anthology collection from then one day (even including obscure games like VF on Master System)
>>
Supposedly they lost the source code to HotD1

Source: I think somebody here said that
>>
>>3065221

ditto on the panzer dragoon games.

Not sure what the fuck happened to make them lose it though
>>
Why was VF 3tb bad?
>>
>>3065346
It was a rushed port that was outsourced to release in time for the DC launch.
>>
>>3065385
sure but what exactly was bad about it?
>>
>>3065440
For starters any button that isnt G,P, or K is CHANGE CAMERA ANGLE.

Why VF needs a change camera angle button I'll never know.
>>
>>3065440

Sometimes the game crashes during the ending FMV.
>>
>>3063883
No port of Motor Raid

No port of Lost World: Jurassic Park

No port of Ocean Hunter

No port of SlashOut

And their absolute worst of all, no port of SpikeOut.

Despite producing some amazing games, Sega seemed to have a hatred for the Model 3 or something, as they barely ported any of its games and moved on swiftly to the Naomi, which also had a number of great games which never received ports.
>>
>>3065664
Also:

No port of Scud Race

No port of Daytona USA 2

No port of Star Wars Trilogy Arcade

No port of L.A. Machineguns

No port of Harley Davidson and L.A. Riders

Just so many great arcade games which would have been fantastic additions to the Dreamcast's library.
>>
>>3065664
We almost got Scud Race on the Dreamcast... almost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W54BVbwpqRY
>>
>>3065664

They at least got Spikeout Battlestreet onto the Xbox, but it's not as good as the original game.
>>
>>3065670
L.A. Machineguns did eventually get ported to the Wii, on a 2-in-1 disc with Gunblade NY.
>>
>>3065440
The graphics were also quite poor in comparison, and it was very bare bones compared to other ports.
>>
>>3063883
HotD1 is probably an issue with the source code being lost though I'm sure they could port an emulated version these days. VF3 on the other hand is probably just lack of interest. There's a very small group of people who still care about Virtua Fighter these days and I'm sure the portion that would pay for a port of VF3 in 2016 is even smaller.
>>
>>3065664
oh god ocean hunter I forgot!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>3063883
They already brought home the important parts of VF3 in Fighters Megamix.

HOTD1 is fine gameplay wise. Just the graphics that hurt it.
>>
>>3066113
>HOTD1 is fine gameplay wise.

No it isn't. The shots you fire lag behind where you aim making a pain in the ass when you gotta kill multiple enemies fast or shoot flying objects in the Saturn port.
>>
>>3066186
How's the PC port?
>>
>>3063883
Fighters Megamix is a good port of VF3.
>>
File: Would_You_Kindly.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Would_You_Kindly.png
1 MB, 1440x900
>>3066482
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m5MBI7CHTw
Would you kindly stop this meme?
FM was Mugen shit tier
>>
>>3066493
Not my fault it's the best way to play VF3 at home.
>>
>>3066507
Even in VF mode that game didn't feel quite like VF. The movelist was there but that's about all it had from vf3.
>>
>>3065450
Coz future

Well it was at the time
>>
>>3063968
>Releasing awesome ports of HOTD 3 and 4 on PSN
4 is debatable because it's an awful piece of shit that shouldn't be called a light gun game, so porting it to a system without a light gun is fine.

3 is a million times better on PC, despite the auto reload you can't disable and the cursor that appears whenever you shoot.

I really can't understand people who are fine with trading pixel perfect accuracy with 1 frame of latency to a fucking camera attachment with glitchy tracking and dozens of frames of latency. You can't play a game with the Move without an on-screen cursor.
>>
>>3066560
>muh latency
Stop acting like you're Jesse james
Rail shooter with Move or Wiimote are great.
Play the two RE Chronicles, HOTD Overkill or DS Extraction.
>>
>>3066586
They're unplayable. All of them.

And for most of them, it's not even down to the latency. It's because the testers realised that the latency was a significant issue, so they made the game incredibly piss easy to compensate. Overkill is a hilarious game, I beat it in an afternoon. But I've never felt even the slightest urge to replay it, because it required no skill, every enemy moves incredibly slowly so you can hit them with your floating cursor. The dialogue and story is on point, the gameplay is a farce.

This isn't what light gun games should be. These are glorified positional gun games pretending to be light gun games.
>>
>>3066592
Whatever you say, James
>>
>>3065336
You have to employ a dedicated bloody TEAM to keep data around forever. Designers are the worst followed by coders.
"Can I get the source for HotD?"
"Here you go."
"You've given me HotD2, not 1."
"Yeah, I used 1 as a base and overwrote it."
"Well I'll just use the backups."
-- hours of trying to get mid-90s backup tapes to read follows --
"Uh, why is this only half the game?"
"Yeah, the tape drive failed and I never told anyone."
FUUUUUUUUUUUU---
>>
>>3066592
>this level of delusions
kill yourself if you actually think playing with a mouse is acceptable
>>
>>3063883
Because HOTD2 was way more popular and VF3 was ass
>>
>>3066995
You think I play light gun games with a mouse? No mate, I use a fucking light gun on a fucking CRT. The way the genre should be played before it was killed by LCDs and they had to come up with terrible solutions like the Wiimote or Move.
>>
File: 1385951881396.png (83 KB, 790x773) Image search: [Google]
1385951881396.png
83 KB, 790x773
>>3063958
>tfw they took pepsiman out of the NTSC Saturn version of Fighters megamix
>>
>>3067104
Wait, disregard this post. I am a faggot and confused Fighting Vipers with Fighters Megamix. The point still stands, though.
>>
>>3063883
>abloobloo bad ports
Shut the fuck up. The games that never got ported are the real lost games. Games like Ollie King
>>
>>3067131
I have not tried it but apparently you can turn your Xbox into a Chihiro by literally soldering more RAM onto the board. People have successfully played Ollie King this way because the Chihiro is literally the exact same hardware as the Xbox with 128mb RAM.

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/topic/33570-chihiro-arcade-games-running-on-128mb-ram-modded-xboxes/
>>
>>3067131
The lack of progress on an Xbox emulator makes me mad as hell, and half of that is because of all the Chihiro games that are dead in the fucking water.

You'd think there would be kids who grew up on Xbox interested in making an emulator for it, but I guess being the start of the Halo dudebro audience means that none of them learned how to code.

>>3067146
Good luck doing that mod, it's hard as fuck. I've been waiting for a cheap 128mb Xbox to pop up on eBay for a while, I'll get one some day.
>>
>>3066586
>>3066603
I wouldn't go as far to say they are 'unplayable' but you can't disagree that motion controls aren't a patch on the old school light guns.
They really did need to dumb down overkill to accommodate for lag and inaccuracy.
>>
>>3067149
I think people are working on Xbox emu, but it's proved to be really difficult? I remember reading somewhere that its a console that should be simple in theory but there's a lot of proprietary tech involved they haven't cracked yet or something.

Imagine JSRF on emulator, playable forever without a giant Xbox...
>>
>>3067250
>>3067149
There's also the fear of a potential Microsoft lawsuit.
>>
>>3067273
Wouldn't they need to file a C&D first?
>>
>>3063923
>abominations like Crazy Taxi

Them's fightin' words.
>>
>>3067417
I mean the atrocious PS360/Steam port. Crazy Taxi is one of my all time favourite games but the port had fucked graphics, and butchered soundtrack.
The ultimate insult was putting the soundtrack back in for the goddamned iOS port and ignoring the actual console and PC ports.
>>
>>3067432
Oh my bad. Yeah, pretty much every port after the DC one had some kind of change in it be it worse framerate, different soundtrack, or removal of real world locations.
>>
>>3066279
It's just a port of the Saturn version with some more features. Even if it was better it's kinda pointless now that you can emulate the game on a toaster.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.