[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VR Burnout Thread >That feel when you've played all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: the-hyrule-fantasy-1.png (340 KB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
the-hyrule-fantasy-1.png
340 KB, 690x388
VR Burnout Thread

>That feel when you've played all your classics to death

How do you get over burnout and enjoy these games as well as others again
>>
>>3063515
I find that generally vidya burnout is a symptom of bad health of some sort in a lot of cases.
Take a break, do something out of your routine and come back in a few weeks
>>
I usually do something else, like read a book or start watching a lot of movies or series.
But if you can't do anything else, you might have depression and it has nothing to do with videogames.
>>
There are thousands and thousands of old games waiting for you to play them for the first time. If you've already played your old favorites, why not look for new favorites?
>>
2-3 years ago
>Come on /vr/
Today
>Read my old EGMs

Reading about how hype people were when a game was new and especially before it was released when it's a big one. Feels good to know literally every one of those games is like 10 minutes away. Intoxicating.
>>
>tfw you started emulating and now have the ability to play any game you want
>tfw can never decide what to play next because there's too much to choose from

Also

>tfw can only play a video game for an hour or two before getting bored

Goddamn I have a shit attention span. Last game I could really go at for hours was Chrono Trigger. I feel like gaming in general might be losing its luster; I haven't played a game that I would put in my top 5 in four years.
>>
>>3063554
>Reading about how hype people were when a game was new and especially before it was released when it's a big one. Feels good to know literally every one of those games is like 10 minutes away. Intoxicating.
Oh yeah. I've gotten into collecting GameFan magazines lately. Had a few from when I was a kid and I read them from cover to cover multiple times. I don't think there was ever a magazine crammed with that much info and such gorgeous layouts. Articles were short and to the point so that each page could be crammed with gorgeous shots. I was reading about the company, and it seems like they were one of the first to start capturing screenshots in RGB.

But yeah, what you say is true. There are a lot of games today that get touted as overrated, but you really need to step back in time and see them again from a fresh point of view. It makes you realize just how much of an impact some of these games had, and how much we take them for granted.

One thing that always makes me cringe, though, is how much people valued voice acting and cutscenes in the mid-to-late '90s. So many times, critics complained that a game didn't have FMVs or dialogue, when the inclusion of those things would have harmed the game more than helped it.

>>3064024
>tfw you started emulating and now have the ability to play any game you want
>tfw can never decide what to play next because there's too much to choose from
>tfw can only play a video game for an hour or two before getting bored
This is why I can't emulate. Being spoiled for choice makes me appreciate each game less.
>>
i luv to vidya on the crapper cause something abot blastin a doo doo out ur pooty hole while ur blippin and bloopin in domkey kong is so relaxing u should try that ok
>>
>>3064150
I played all of FFVI almost exclusively while pooping.
>>
>>3063515
is this what you people do, just play all your old favorites over and over again? is it all for nostalgia?
>>
>>3063515
Try it on hard mode. Maybe make up my own rules to handicap myself. Otherwise just put it in the closet and return to it a few years later. That's all you can do really.
>>
File: ハート.jpg (32 KB, 439x518) Image search: [Google]
ハート.jpg
32 KB, 439x518
>>3064024
>>3064139
>This is why I can't emulate. Being spoiled for choice makes me appreciate each game less.

I understand this feeling but this doesn't have to be an excuse either. At least you're aware of it, now all that's left is making it fun.

I personally have lists of all the games I'm planning on playing and I sorta make myself some schedules. If I start a game I have to finish it until the end and clear it 100% (unless it's some dumb shits like Zelda 1 where you gotta remake the same whole game but infinitely harder). I allow myself to play games that don't necessarily have solid story lines like sport games and the likes on the side but usually I'm always focus on just one game. Since I've done this I've been appreciating games much more.

Remember anons, discipline. Set yourselves some rules and stick to them, you'll see it's 100% worth it.
>>
>>3063515
And to what to what I said >>3064324 and what other anons said, games are games, if you feel like you've burned out it's probably a problem that's lying within yourself to begin with.

I'm not a life model and I also have my own problems but I think I could at least advise you to vary your hobbies a bit and not only focus on videogames (implying that's just what you do). In my case I've been learning Japanese for a while now and I've been trying to get better at art. By juggling hobbies like that they end up tasting much better. There's no way I'd see myself playing vidya 24/7 like I used to a few years back, and moreover, looking back, it didn't necessarily make me very happy, I was seriously more depressed than anything.
>>
>>3064324
No. I'm not into forcing myself to do shit I don't want to do. It's a hobby, not a job. I've got plenty of rules and discipline from 9 to 5.
>>
>>3063515
When I've played a game to death I just move on to a new one. I don't think I'll ever have enough time to complete every game I want to so why waste time with something I'm already done playing?

If it's all games you're burnt out on, just do something else for a while. Switch up your hobbies some. Gaming is good but it's limited.
>>
>>3064336
>I'm not into forcing myself to do shit I don't want to do.
You're missing the point. Well, whatever, keep that mentality then, but don't go making threads complaining about it then.
>>
>>3064336
You're kind of dull aren't you?
>>
>>3064324
>Remember anons, discipline. Set yourselves some rules and stick to them, you'll see it's 100% worth it.

This sounds like a horrible way to play games. But then I love having a thousand ROMs at my fingertips to explore at my leisure. And it's a very, very rare game that I like enough to finish, let alone 100% complete.
>>
>>3064343
You feel that towards what I said because the words "discipline" and "rules" are harsh words you've only had negative or unpleasant experiences with. It's just a matter of perspective, of how you look at it.

Anons said so themselves, having so many games available on their emulators and whatnot make them enjoy games less and make them drop them after a few hours... isn't that what one would normally call a "horrible way to play games"?

Now I'm not going to push my way of doing things on others nor look down on people for not doing so, I'm just sharing right now, if I can inspire someone then that's nice but that's it. Still, having put some more organization in all that mess made me enjoy and cherish what I have much more and there's absolutely nothing negative about this.
>>
>>3064342
>not wanting to force arbitrary rules on myself
>dull
Well excuse me.

>>3064339
I'm not even OP, you ass. I just agreed with the sentiment that having thousands of emulated games at my fingertips makes me value them less than if I actually own the cartridge.
>>
>>3064356
So? You're still missing the point. Seems like your ego is getting in the way and won't let you see that about yourself though.
>>
>>3064350
That's why I pointed out that I'm not one of the people who gets put off by a huge number of roms. It just sounded like a horrible way to me.
>>
>>3064363
I don't even have a fucking problem. I enjoy the way I play games. I play the ones that interest me, and usually I complete them, unless they become absolutely unbearable. Just because I don't play games the same way as you with some self-imposed "discipline" doesn't mean I'm missing the point or that I have an ego. I just don't like using an emulator.
>>
>>3064370
But anon, if you ever continue in an arcade game you will never experience the true joy of 1ccing.
>>
>>3064370
Excuse me but why would you reply to what I said in the first place then? Of course I'm not saying everyone should do as I say, in the first place I shared this /for/ people who had an issue with enjoying games, etc. It's right in the OP.

If you're enjoying the way you play games then I'm happy for you anon and obviously my advice wasn't aimed at you.

>>3064368
I think I got confused, fair enough, and good for you.
>>
>>3063515
I was having that problem last summer/fall. Right now, I'm flipping between Final Fantasy VI and Doom when I game, among other hobbies.
Not sticking to "one thing", be it a single game/genre, or even a single hobby helps a lot in terms of staving off burnout.

And, like another anon said, there's a ton of games you might enjoy that you've not yet played. Give them a shot, too. Worst case scenario, you booted up an emulator for nothing.
>>
>>3064156
How much do you spend per month on hemorrhoid meds?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.