[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reproduction Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: S1pcart.jpg (6 KB, 340x234) Image search: [Google]
S1pcart.jpg
6 KB, 340x234
What does /vr/ think of reproduction cartridges? I recently grabbed a few reproductions online for a few games that are out if my price range starving uni student here, like Alien Soldier and Sparkster and they both seem to be working great.
How does everyone else feel?
>>
If you're going to buy reproductions, you might as well get a flash cart.
>>
>>3063454
this
>>
I made a couple for fun a while back, with boxes and everything. As long as you aren't trying to sell them off as legit, they're fine.

But honestly just get a flash cart if the intention is to actually play the games.
>>
>>3063505
I've thought about getting one for the N64, because in Aus it's bloody expensive to buy games for. but i quite like the aesthetic of removing cartridges and having a case for the consoles I enjoy more. Really it just comes down to what you enjoy most.
>>
Repros are fine as long as they aren't t trying to pass themselves off as genuine.
>>
>Starving uni student
>buys reproduction cartridges instead of emulating and taking care of himself like an actual person

I'll never understand you people. "I want to be properly irresponsible, but I'm on a budget."
>>
>>3064128
>you people
Neurotypicals?
>>
>>3064128
I work part time, 'starving uni student' is a nice way of saying I'm poor. I like playing things on original hardware but I can't afford to do so right now.
I don't understand that come to this board to bitch and moan. Either be constructive or get out. Yes I'm aware of the irony. Inb4 thats what i did here.
>>
File: why.png (207 KB, 822x455) Image search: [Google]
why.png
207 KB, 822x455
Can't you just charge me a reasonable scam price instead of trying to rob me outright
>>
>>3064261
We're at a point where people seem to legitimately think that having a repro of a rare game means the repro must be valuable too
>>
>>3064360
wow, fucking 60$ for a repro.. are people really buying this shit?
>>
If you're a starving college student in 2016 you shouldn't be wasting time and money on retro games that were probably never played during your childhood. Working in getting a career to pay for that shit should be a higher priority.
>>
I've considered it for fantranslated games like sfc Dragon Quest 3. I know flash carts are better and definitely cheaper than buying a bunch of repros, but I think it'd be neat owning a close to authentic looking cart.
>>
>>3064360
Probably. People are really fucking dumb. I'm tempted to just start reselling alibaba shit.
>>
I find that they occupy a weird zone between collectability and impracticality. I would rather buy a flash cart than spend comparable money on just one game, especially when that was not a 'genuine' copy. However for those who dig the 'real deal' I suppose it's reasonable compared to buying a sometimes very expensive original.

I hang on the fennce as to whether I would denote a repro as being a repro in some way. On onehand you prevent potential abuse of resellers lying about their product, on the other hand I am obsessed with the genuine reproduction and would be very bothered by imperfections or inaccuracies. Maybe that's why I'm not much for repros.

I'd mark them out of the way places, like inside the cartridge contact spot (like the plastic on the inside of where the contacts are at) where it's hard to see unless you go out of your way to inspect it. Something permanent too, like an etched plastic label, to prevent people trying to pass it off. I'd do the same on the PCB too.
>>
File: tmp_21737-gyro7_big1025135453.jpg (90 KB, 622x512) Image search: [Google]
tmp_21737-gyro7_big1025135453.jpg
90 KB, 622x512
>>3064527
Most reproduction carts are going to be chip on board since it's so much cheaper than using EPROMs. No legitimate cartridge made in the 80s/90s uses this method, and it's extremely noticeable as from one look at the board. Unless someone flashed the ROM on an actual NES chipset and replaced it with a different image, which requires a lot more work.

But then I'm only really familiar with famicom repros and not NES, so I might be wrong. NES repros would need a 10NES chip on the board anyway so it's likely I don't know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>3064583
Indeed most NES-Repro idiots use swap the ROM-Chip of legit cards.
Someone please kill those faggots.
>>
honestly the data is more important to me than the physical object, so I don't understand the appeal

I can emulate Alien Soldier on any piece of shit pc nowadays
>>
File: 1449657158199.png (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449657158199.png
47 KB, 640x480
>>3064242
>I'm going to defend my waste of money by self-righteously telling you not to remind me that I wasted my money
The post.
>>
>>3064583
>No legitimate cartridge made in the 80s/90s uses this method

If you mean like the one in your pic, I am fairly certain that certain legit Famicom and NES carts used this method.
>>
>>3065151
This is why if anyone criticizes you about anything on here you should just call them a faggot and tell them to suck your dick.
>>
>>3064261
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/72pin-8bit-Game-card-Splatterhouse-Eng/229953_32574855311.html
>>
>>3064242
For the price of one repro you could buy a flash cart and an SD card that would fit then entire new library, in all regions, including hacks, homebrews and unlicensed games. Are you retarded or just pretending to be?
>>
>>3065227
Older Gyromite carts used this for sure.
>>
>>3065332
So a flash cart is -$20?
>>
>>3065383

Making your own repro:
~20-25 in materials

Buying a repro
~35 from America, probably closer to 15 from Aliexpress

Flashcart from aliexpress
50 bucks

Flashcart from Krikzz
150-300

I've heard shitty things about he chinese everdrives crapping out. I would go with Krikzz and everdrives (and maybe an SD2SNES instead of an everdrive for better functionality and compatibility)

A handful of repros of your favorites is fine. I have SD3 and Terranigma in NTSC-UC versions. I also have an SD2SNES.

If you want a full library of NES or whatever, and you're close, but you're never going to drop 1000 bucks on little samson, or whatever, go ahead and make a repro.

If you want like a small curated collection of games, go ahead and get some repros since some of the best games were JP only or prohibitively expensive.

Flashcart is always the best, most cost efficient way to get the entire library. But repros aren't a terrible thing, despite what Pat and Ian would have believe.
>>
>>3063446
I think reproductions are great. I've made a lot of them.
I think paying many shekels to faggots who overcharge hipsters for them is fucking retarded.

>>3064242
Too poor to afford enrolling in "4chan isn't a Safe Space 101"?

>>3064583
>pic of legit cart using it
>someone flashed the ROM on an actual NES chipset
10/troll
>ohwaityoureseriousletmelaughevenharder.jpg
>>
I'm gonna sell my collection to fund an sd2snes and make repros of Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3 out of cheap super famicom games.

I hope that doesn't upset anyone too much :-)
>>
I'm still waiting for an Alien Soldier repro in the mail... it's been like a month, but it's from china and only costed me about $6 so I can't complain too much.
>>
File: 1441396246169.jpg (191 KB, 1600x1584) Image search: [Google]
1441396246169.jpg
191 KB, 1600x1584
>>3065435
Your repro claim doesn't upset me as much as your embarrassingly weak attempt at trolling.
>>
>>3065435
>make repros of Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3 out of cheap super famicom games.
Good luck finding cheap games with the special chips needed.
>>
Has anyone put any ROMHacks or anything similar to Carts or Discs?

Specifically CASTLEVANIA: Symphony of the Night (Japanese Audio with proper translated English text.); The Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds; and yes I know of maybe 5~8 for NES.
I'm not very familiar with Reproductions and as I've mentioned, I'd rather have them for ROMHacks or extremely rare games. But I emulate.

I'd make repros of:
ROCKMAN & FORTE (English with the Japanese names for the characters. i.e. MegaMan = Rockman, Bass = Forte, ProtoMan = Blues, etc.); too many to list.
>>3065479
2 of those off of my head use the Super FX chip, right?
>>
>>3065473
I'm glad you liked it.

>>3065479
Thanks, but I don't really need it. With a little patience they're only a few dollars. Right now I can get donor carts for $8 shipped per cart.

>>3065483
Yoshi's island does. The others are SA-1.
>>
>>3065510
Ah, right. Is Yoshi's Island the FX-2?
>>
>>3065515
Yup.
>>
>>3065516
Same with Star Fox 2, Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha? I've forgotten what else it used.
There should be a Pastebin of games which used Mode 7, Super FX chip, etc.
>>
>>3064583
>pic of legit car using it
>someone flashed the ROM on an actual NES chipset
topkekkid
>>
>>3063446

I think you're a fucking asshole and if you should have just emulated or bought a flash cart
>>
I think repros are great. I already have most of the games that I really want, so a flash card doesn't make sense. I fleshed out my Genesis collection with the $4 carts from Aliexpress and I've made a couple of my own SNES repros. I converted a Super Famicom Mario RPG cart to English and made a Gundam Wing Endless Duel cart. Star Fox 2 and Castlevania Dracula X are on deck.
>>
>>3065408
$20 to $25 in materials? I've never ended up spending more than about $15. Most games have a sports game you can use as a donor. If you're grabbing those from eBay you usually don't even end up paying shipping because people just want them gone.
>>
>>3063446
>starving uni student here
Go shove your retarded memes down someone else's thorats, you annoying jackass.
>>
>>3067561

>someone else's thorax

get back to work, honey bun
>>
>>3063446
My flash cart can't play Star Ocean so I bought a repro. It's okay. Using the PSP art on the cart is pretty fucken offensive though.
>>
File: 1446740585035.png (80 KB, 705x604) Image search: [Google]
1446740585035.png
80 KB, 705x604
>>3063638
This is my take on it as well.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.