[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I played Dragon Quest 8 awhile ago and enjoyed the hell out of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 23
File: dw7.png (626 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
dw7.png
626 KB, 512x480
I played Dragon Quest 8 awhile ago and enjoyed the hell out of it. Are the other DQ games like 8, or are they a pretty different experience? Which ones should I check out first?

Pic related, I heard it was really long with tons of shit to do, which is up my alley, but then I heard that you have to play for three hours, just talking to people around the starting point, before having a single fight, and that sounds just ludicrous.
>>
8 bored me to death, but 1-6 are pretty good. Didn't play 7.
>>
File: dragon_quest_iii.jpg (1 MB, 1192x816) Image search: [Google]
dragon_quest_iii.jpg
1 MB, 1192x816
The best one, in my opinion, is DQIII. Just a grand adventure all around the world with lots of things to do, customizable party members and overall the single most representative of the DQ games (it's a prequel to Dragon Quest 1).
>>
>>3063139

DQ3 and 7 have loads of content with expansive worlds, if that's what you're referring to. The other DQ game worlds aren't necessarily as large. DQ2 was huge compared to the first DQ game, and despite having an open world, didn't really have any sidequests. DQ4 is split into several chapters focused on specific PCs, and then it finally places you in the role of the hero and gives you free reign. I suppose there's a lot to do, but I don't think I'd recommend it in your case.

Don't bother with DQ5. The game sucks despite what our resident DQ5 autist may want you to believe. I have no clue about DQ6 as I've yet to play it.
>>
>>3063139
I loved 8 and hated 7.
>>
>>3063186
What didn't you like about V? Personal favorites are IV and VII, pretty excited for the 3ds version of VII.
>>
>>3063282
>What didn't you like about V?

Nothing I can't say without being censored by our resident shitlord of a janny. Sorry, Anon.

I'll just say the game didn't live up to the potential it had.
>>
5 > 3 >> 6 >> 9 > 4 >> 8 > 2 > 1

Haven't played 7 past the first few hours. Definitely picking the remake up later this year.
>>
>>3063339
>putting 8 that low

How can my memes become as dank as yours?
>>
>>3063342
I knew someone would point that out. I don't hate it or anything, I just prefer the others more.
>>
>>3063139
>you have to play for three hours, just talking to people around the starting point, before having a single fight,
If you're pretty quick, yeah. It's a real slow starter. If the rest of the game sounds good to you then you should just put up with it.
>>
5 is my favorite after 8. I don't know how much the DS version added/changed, but it's definitely one of my best RPG experiences. 3 is probably the next best one.
>>
>>3064005
a new waifu in DS ver. 5
>>
>>3063139
Dragon Knight > Dragon Warrior

I don't give a fuck nigger
>>
All DQs are pretty much the same. They never mix up the combat systems like FF does, so you should have no problem adapting. Just avoid the DS ones because the new translations are trash with forced accents that are obnoxious. For 5 and 6 download the Super Famicom ones and a patch. The four on NES are fine as-is.
>>
Someone please recommend me the best ports to play from 1 to XII or the number it is right now.

I really want to get into the DQ games but I dont know where to start and what ports are the best or what games I should play in the original release.

Also, a good guide about the other DQ iterationa would be fine.

In fact, there is a pasta to read or a chart to see or something? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>3066404
1 - GBC
2 - GBC
3 - SNES
4 - DS
5 - DS
6 - DS
7 - 3DS
8 - PS2
9 - DS
10 - PC
11 - Both versions are probably going to be unique enough to justify saying both PS4 and 3DS
>>
File: DQXI.webm (224 KB, 498x272) Image search: [Google]
DQXI.webm
224 KB, 498x272
>>3066406

The dual modern/retro thing on the 3DS version looks like it's gonna be sweet.
>>
>>3066406
How about the iterations? Dragon Quest Monsters, for example?
>>
>>3066407
wowsers.
>>
7 was looooooong. 4 was my personal favorite
>>
>>3066407
What a fantastic waste of battery.
>>
File: picardo.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
picardo.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>3066636
>>
>>3066636
>3DS
>battery

So... you're playing outside of your home? Please tell me that's not the case anon.
>>
>>3066406
Why do you recommend 1&2 on GBA while 3 on SNES?

I'm asking it because I'm playing the trilogy on GBC (playing dq2)
>>
File: 1457136865205-1.gif (37 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1457136865205-1.gif
37 KB, 500x400
>>3066406
>gbc version of 1 and 2 over the sfc versions
Don't listen to this guy, the super famicom version of 1 and 2 are the best versions of them.
>>
File: dq3-07.jpg (783 KB, 1000x740) Image search: [Google]
dq3-07.jpg
783 KB, 1000x740
>>3063139
As someone who's playing 8 now after FUCKING LOVING 1-4, 8 is amazing and is so very Dragon Questy.

I haven't touched VII myself but I agree with this anon >>3063150

3 is an awesome awesome game. You can't really go wrong with any version, I played SFC myself and had a blast.
>>
>>3063139
Each one is a little bit different, but not enough to alienate you.

That being said, 7 is the worst in the series--so bad that Yuji Horii himself felt enough shame in it to completely rework the opening. Avoid at all costs.
>>
>>3063330
Were you the guy complaining there wasn't a faggot option? Do you go by the handle of Ceaser?
>>
>>3067954
>VII the worst
Quit lying.
>>
>>3068023
>The most shallow cast
>Worst localization
>Useless stats
>Terrible job system brought over from 6
>Never ending grinding to get good spells/skills
>Hours spent walking back and forth over the same few screens per tablet
>Dumbest set of original monsters
>Piss easy final boss
>Enix of American and Den faggots will still defend this cluster fuck of hubris over a decade later
There's a reason why 8 is considered the savior of the series anon.
>>
File: 1442784827288.jpg (255 KB, 800x1113) Image search: [Google]
1442784827288.jpg
255 KB, 800x1113
How is the NES translation of IV? I've only played the DS version, the accents never bothered me, but I've heard the NES translation is very accurate. Also I've never played the NES version as I always thought the AI controlled party memebers would make the gameplay worse and much less involving, thoughts?
>>
>>3068086
I found the translation of IV on NES to be perfectly fine. I didn't notice anything strange or glaringly odd.

There's a game genie code that lets you control all the party members in Chapter 5. If you're gonna emulate, USE IT. I did and it's an amazing improvement. Though if you want the genuine article the AI will not totally ruin the game and isn't always stupid from what I played.
>>
>>3068086
Base translation is fine, but if you want to change names to the modern localizations here's a utility for it http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/477/

Best of luck figuring out how it works though.
>>
>>3066407
It's only like that during the intro, after that you can use only one perspective at a time, but can switch between them whenever you want.
>>
>>3066685
The 1&2 GBC remakes sport additional improvements to make the games even better than their SNES remakes.
3 GBC meanwhile is basically the same game as SNES just with worse graphics and sound.
>>
>>3066690
I sure do love using the door command!
>>
>>3063139
VII's comfy as fuck but you need to take your time with it to avoid being burnt out. Go through each section like it's a short story and put some time between the later ones if you find yourself getting a little exhausted of it.

>>3064929
>For 5 and 6 download the Super Famicom ones and a patch
I would go PS2 for 5 over the SFC version myself but both are improvements.
>>
>>3068118
3 GBC has an exclusive extra dungeon .
>>
DQ1: The grandfather of the JRPG. It takes about a day to beat it but sadly that includes about 90% grinding. It's a weird fun game if you just want something really simple and short.
DQ2: Enix made it to be better in every way to DQ1. Party members, more enemies, more weapons, a ship to sail around in, more magic items to find, a actual reason to play it story wise, ect. Sadly they didn't really understand level balancing and exploring for the crest was just annoying. I mean compare to DQ1 it's incredible how much they fit but has a whole it's just annoying.
DQ3: Where everything came together. This game took everything great about DQ2 and improved upon it even more and took everything bad and either fixed it or tossed it out. It is a masterpiece in every way and one of the best JRPG ever made.
I say play those in order since there is a story connection and play the SNES (fan translation) or GBC (official).
DQ4: My favorite DQ game. Each chapter focus on those characters so you feel like they are all important to the overall story and not just random people just happen to be with you. Personally I HATE the DS version (accents are just bad in that game) and fuck the mobile. NES localization is actually pretty fucking good even today.
DQ5: This is the black sheep of the bunch since it's more character driven. DQ tends to be more about a simple character just adventuring around the world while this game is about the story of the main character's life. And boy what a life he lives. Full of every emotion you can feel. DS is the one you should play personally but the PS2 is good too.
>>
>>3068596
DQ6: This one is love it or hate it. As a JRPG it's alright but considering DQ3-5 are considered the best JRPG ever made alright just makes people feel iffy about it.
DQ7: The longest JRPG in DQ. PSX is about 120 hours long. You go from island to island and fix what is wrong with it. Since you stay around the island for a while you really get a feeling for each place and some of the stories really make you go "Jesus Christ that's messed up!" I do wonder how the 3DS will play out but from what I've been told it's the best way to play it.
DQ8: This feels more like them returning back to a more simple standard. 4 party members, simple skill system, story tends to be more easy follow. But all of that is positive since PS2 JRPG were going so over the top that a more simple game really worked out for me. 3DS looking like the best one to play unless you really hate what they did with the graphics.
Personally I list them 4 (NES)>7>3>5>8>6>1>2>4DS
I get some people actually do like the accents but I got to about chapter 4 and just couldn't stand it. Hell I started my NES copy right after quitting and finished it feeling like I had a wonderful experience.
>>
>>3068086
Actually the NES localization is pretty good. I mean it did have a few NoA things like removal of religion. What I think is really odd is how NoA allowed Dragon Quest 3 and 4 to have gambling in their games. And not just a hidden minigame but a full thing.
>>
>>3067954
>so bad that Yuji Horii himself felt enough shame in it to completely rework the opening

source
>>
>>3068665
Maybe it's not translated but I think he talked about how shocked he was at how the first few hours plays out. All the backtracking and puzzle solving you had to do. Where once it took about 5 hours to fight your first slime is now only an hour long. Also I've heard there's a ton of things different about the PSX and 3DS version. An example I've heard is the temple dungeon where you get your classes is completely different. To a point that it's not really much of a dungeon now.

DQ7 was a game that went thought development hell for years and it being such a massive game I'm guessing there was a lot of things that they just left in because they didn't want to rework all over again. With them remaking it they felt the need to fix all the issues they found while replaying it.
>>
>You'll never understand which DQ to play first
>>
>>3068686
I go with one of 3 games

DQ1 if you are the type of guy that likes to play things in order. It's a simple game but really does show off how a JRPG really should play out as.

DQ4 takes all the classes in DQ3 and turns them into characters with their own little story. It really does feel like they are not just characters joining for no good reason. Feel it was handled way better than say Final Fantasy 6 with each character was a class of FF5. I personally like the NES version and by that point they had a handled of level balancing so there's not a whole lot of grinding personally.

DQ8 which is more of return to a simpler time. 4 party members with their own way of battling. With a nice simple story in a grand world.

DQ2 and 3 are part of a trilogy so playing either of them out of order just feels off. I mean you could easily play 3 before 1 or 2 but you would miss out on a lot of references to the other games.

DQ5 doesn't really play out like a normal DQ game. It's more character focus so you might not get the best view on how DQ game play out.

DQ6 is fine to start with but sadly it's not a great DQ game. It's a fine JRPG but compare to other DQ games it's feels lacking in a lot of ways.

And DQ7 is just the most DQ game of all DQ. Personally DQ is all about visiting different towns and playing out tiny stories that somehow all link together. And DQ7 does that to an extreme like no other. And its something I feel you should be more accustom with first which is why you should play a different DQ first just so you know what you are getting into.
>>
File: moonbrroke.jpg (724 KB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
moonbrroke.jpg
724 KB, 1280x640
>>3068101
How the hell is that utility supposed to work?
>>
Why DQ4 was the only one not remade for the SFC?
>>
>>3068810
Guessing space. Dragon Quest 3 is a pretty massive game plus they were making DQ5 around that time and DQ6. Also DQ5 was with a different development team (Chunsoft) than DQ6 (Heartbeat) so they might not have had time to actually make it since DQ3 SNES was made in 1996 and everyone started to move on to PSX.
>>
>>3068810
Because the snes was out the door by 96 and 7 needed all the man power the team could muster.
>>
>>3068810
>>3068835
This and the PS1 version is basically what the SFC remake might have been, just with some polygons.
>>
>>3066404
Original versions only. Don't be a girl.
>>
>>3068862
Fun fact: the ps1 version retains the "Max HP is 195%~205% of Resilience" and "Agility/2 = base defense" mechanics from the nes version, but these were ditched for proper mechanics in the DS and phone versions.
>>
>>3068876
Wow, that IS a fun fact! I had no idea about that.
>>
>>3068965
Weird, isn't it? This is why Ragnar and Alena have such crap resilience in the ds version despite being bricks.

Speaking of, Alena's critical hit formula was tweaked a bit as well, shifting from LvL/256 and capping at 64 to (LvL x 0.75)/256 and capping at 89. Everyone else is still stuck a 1/64 though.
>>
>>3069050
7 has the dullest script, complimented with the flattest characters. Plus-Alpha fixed this series a decade ago anon, pull the persecution stick out of your ass and get over it already.

>Acshually...
Nevermind, stay in lala land with the rest of the spergs on the Den.
>>
>>3069383
Text misalignment and such are forgivable, it's just that the writing is so boring. No one has personality, everyone uses the same syntax, and the localizers didn't have the clout of mind to ask themselves if it makes sense for the kids in the Deja tribe to use thesaurus-humper words like aplomb.

I get that it's the last hurrah of 'Warrior' generation, but that's no excuse to apologize for it's flaws. As far as accents go, only people from Woodus bitch about them, so it's clearly no where near as big a deal as you lot make them out to be. I'd take an accent over a bland script any day of the year.

>YOU MUST LIKE TRE--
No; not a single character trait or ounce of personality was edited in any of the games PA localized, so your comparisons to Treehouse's butchery is stillborn. The only amount of censorship that came to DQ was changing Puff-Puff to pattycake princess in 6, and that was handled by 8-4 instead.

>Every DQ character is dull
Shit taste confirmed, please tell me more about how Atlus has the deepest and most engaging characters in all of fiction.
>>
>>3069439
1) Didn't read
2) I'll have some fries with that salt waiter
3) take your shit opinions and fuck well off of /vr/

Also IV has party chat in the smart phone version; good job keeping up with the series dipshit.
>>
Getting back on topic (after reporting the derailers), who are everyone's favorite characters?

Personally I've got an affinity for 4 and 8's casts, along with the NPCs from 9.
>>
>>3070281
DQ4: Alena
DQ5: Debora
DQ6: Don't remember
DQ7: Maribel but really most of your party members are enjoyable
DQ8: Yangus was really the one character I really love. He was just a bro through and through. Jessica and Angelo felt more like they started to have a story and it kind of just forgot they were there most of the time.
>>
>>3070287
>DQ6: Don't remember
...yeah, me to. I love Milly and Lizzie, but 6 is the second weakest cast and second weakest game.
>>
>>3068126
Use the L button as a catch-all talk/door/chest button!
>>
>>3070436
>Glancing over something when one is scrolling is the same as reading everything the whinny faggot posted.
Reported for samefagging, derailing, and still being salty as fuck. Get the hell out of the thread.
>>
Anyone else annoyed that 2 doesn't get more respect? Yes, it needs some polish to work out the quirks (like attack magic being lumped together instead of three types), but it's still a comfy as fuck game that laid the foundation for every console rpg that came afterwards.

Plus it has this qt3.14 as the main character.
>>
>>3071195
she's not the main character
>>
File: 1446592129880.png (458 KB, 647x791) Image search: [Google]
1446592129880.png
458 KB, 647x791
>>3071195
I love 2 also anon. It has my favorite overworld theme (when you've gathered your friends), and it introduced the awesome friendship theme!

Also I think the segement towards the end where Hero is in a dream-world version of the first town deserves more credit for being such a neat idea at the end.

Have more Moonbroke.
>>
File: 1444977597921.jpg (404 KB, 853x1024) Image search: [Google]
1444977597921.jpg
404 KB, 853x1024
>>3071206
*neat idea at the time
Fucking words whatever
>>
>>3071195
Personally I never played it but I heard the mobile version of 2 is the only mobile Dragon Quest that actually improves the game. Since those shiny specs where items are help you out. Since in the other games you just kept mashing "Search" over and over again hoping to find the right spot with the item. Also heard they made it so the Prince of Cannock is much more useful.
>>
>>3071198
Ha ha ha ha, oh anon.
>>
>>3071223
It gave everyone a big stat boost (check the .org wiki to see), but he got the largest proportionality speaking. They fixed his version of Sizzle so it deals 50~65, instead of the crappy enemy version of 17~33.

Thwack's enemy version was dropped to 12% accuracy instead of 100%, so Frostburns aren't as difficult to deal with.
>>
>>3071206
>It has my favorite overworld theme (when you've gathered your friends),
I actually like the theme before you get all three better. (Though the moment you first hear the full-party theme and it feels like the journey has really begin is cool.)
I was tripping out hearing it in Builders chapter 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq8z2zxQXkw
>>
File: 1282800-deborah_brischoletti_3.jpg (107 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1282800-deborah_brischoletti_3.jpg
107 KB, 600x800
>>3064084
Best one too
>>
File: Bad_pun.jpg (252 KB, 1024x1337) Image search: [Google]
Bad_pun.jpg
252 KB, 1024x1337
>>3071579
Yeah, she's pretty swell.
>>
>>3071880
why do you have to do this go to /d/ or /aco/ or whatever
nice tho but it srsly doesn't belong
>>
Stop bumping this thread with your shitty moe autism. Not everybody jacks off to video games like you do.
>>
>>3071945
Lighten up, there's room for humor everywhere.

Debs is an interesting choice for a wife though, and they way she treats you on your honeymoon makes me think that she only tossed her bra in the ring with the other girls because she wanted to beat her sister at something.
>>
>>3071294
Yeah that sounds way more manageable. But I personally played 1-3 three times already (NES, GBC and SNES) and I don't really feel like playing it again. Also touch D-Pad never work right and I don't want to ever go out and buy a phone controller.
>>
>>3072340
The major selling point is the newer script that combines PA's silliness with the olde english of the nes localizations, but without losing any of the emphasis and meaning in the japanese script.

If you're good without that, save yourself the ~$20 and enjoy the older versions.
>>
Bump
>>
File: 1428607288888.gif (4 KB, 415x233) Image search: [Google]
1428607288888.gif
4 KB, 415x233
>>3072639
>olde english
>thee thou art

That's not Old English.
>>
>>3074618
Whatever, it's what most people refer to as old english. Point being the phone scripts try to appeal to both camps and do a pretty good job of pulling it off.
>>
About to do my first run of 3, any tips? Help me make a party, can't decide. Give good names too I don't have friends to name after unfortunately.
>>
>>3074693
What's actually weird is that they went back to Erdrick. Anyone with a copy of DQ4DS with and manual look at the very end. It's selling "Sword of Roto Silver Pendant" which means they were going to keep it but for some reason decided to return to Erdrick.
>>3074706
Easy run: Warrior, Fighter, Cleric
Mage magic isn't that useful at the start and they died way too easily.

Turn the Cleric into a Sage and just wreck everything in your path. As for names you are on your own.
>>
>>3074693
>Whatever, it's what most people refer to as old english

And most people would be wrong. In absolutely no shape, form, fashion or interpretation is that Old English. I don't care if millions of people erroneously believe it to be Old English. That doesn't suddenly make it Old English. Old English it is not. Referring to Early Modern English as Old English is objectively incorrect no matter how you spin it.

>Point being the phone scripts try to appeal to both camps and do a pretty good job of pulling it off.

No they don't. They get the verb inflections wrong half the time.
>>
File: DQ3 GBC caterpillar bronze.jpg (148 KB, 1060x1080) Image search: [Google]
DQ3 GBC caterpillar bronze.jpg
148 KB, 1060x1080
>>3074706
>any tips?
If you're playing the GBC version, supposedly the thief's post-battle steal effect interferes with monster medal drops. I've been playing it without a thief just in case, since it takes along enough to collect monster medals as it is.
(It's true you can't get a thief steal and monster medal drop in the same battle, but I don't know if anyone's actually tested which takes priority.)
>>
File: DQ3 pyramid.jpg (95 KB, 690x582) Image search: [Google]
DQ3 pyramid.jpg
95 KB, 690x582
>>3074718
>Warrior
I got kind of annoyed with the low speed on warrior, always attacking after enemy turns.

Next time I play this, on SFC, I'm thinking of going merchant, thief, cleric>sage.
I heard merchant is cheap to equip and easy to get started with, and the item appraisal thing is kind of fun (played around a bit with it with the merchant I made for the town). Thief will mainly be for hunting down mini medals.
>>
>>3074765
Playing sfc version, art is just to pretty even if the gbc one has a bonus dungeon. Thanks though.
>>
>>3074751
Ok professor, I'll have my paper spell checked and ready on your desk the very moment I give a shit about the evolution of the english language. If you'd like to spend hours sperging about that garbage, fine, but not in this thread where no body cares but you.
>>
>>3074765
Thieves are super useful though, so bringing one along should take priority over any medals.
>>
>>3074842
>but not in this thread where no body cares but you.
Not entirely true. I would be happy to spend hours "sperging" about grammar and punctuation with someone like him.
>>
>>3074785
Warrior is mostly to take the hits along side the Hero. Since if you have Hero with a Warrior they take up about 75% of the hits. Merchant is nice since you get bonus gold which will drop the need to farm for gold. Thief are nice but I never really felt the need to use them.

Also fuck those Golden Claws.
>>
>>3075549
You'll make money faster selling the items thieves steal than from the small gold bonuses the merchants give you. Also, thieves don't cap out at level 20 stats.
>>
>>3075594
Well you will never really use your Merchant once you can class change him since money doesn't really have much importance around the half way point.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.