[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: games you rented as a kid and got really far in but still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: Parasite_Eve_Coverart[1].png (107 KB, 256x248) Image search: [Google]
Parasite_Eve_Coverart[1].png
107 KB, 256x248
ITT: games you rented as a kid and got really far in but still never managed to beat it in the allotted 2-3 days.

I remember making it to the final boss but I guess I didn't know what I was doing and did bad upgrades or something because I kept dying almost immediately. I never went back to it again since then.
>>
>>3062438
You should've been able to, since PE is like a 6-10 hour main campaign if you know what you're doing.

I can see you getting stuck because if you don't upgrade your guns you'll definitely be getting your ass kicked, especially at the final fights.

Do not upgrade Aya at all. Don't do what I did and upgrade her speed and shit. Dump all your BP into guns, perferably damage.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 500x496
Also didn't have a memory card
>>
Super Castlevania. I sucked so bad at games as a kid that I couldn't get past Medusa in 2 days.
>>
PE isn't that hard, but there are a few casual filters if you don't bother to figure it out.

the game also makes it seem like grenade launchers and assault rifles are great weapons, when they're actually terrible. what you want to do, is upgrade aya's speed early on, but only on the levels where it costs more than 10 points to level up, because it costs the same amount of BP to upgrade, but you only get 10 points added when you get an actual level, so skipping those levels with BP will basically get you 2 for 1. I don't really know why it's like that, especially since it's only during the first ten levels that it has that weird progression, and after that it always costs 10 points and goes up once every level.

So only upgrade Aya's speed, and only when you have to at the start. After that, dump all your BP on attack power, put it all on a machine gun, and never use anything that isn't a machine gun. You also gotta remove or over-write the random fire modification to make them good, though sometimes I leave it on because shooting eve 90 times a turn is hilarious

there is no actual difference between weapon types in terms of potential damage, the only difference between a machine gun and a grenade launcher is how long it takes to aim, shoot, and change targets, they all use the same ammo, they all can have the same mods, you can take your acid shells or buckshot or double-action and put it on any gun you want

IIRC, the order is; Machine gun, Pistol, Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher

the actual difference is that grenade launchers might take 5 seconds to shot 3 targets once, while the machine gun will take about a second to do the same thing, leaving you much more time to run the fuck away from shit that's trying to kill you
>>
>>3064576
It has been some time since I last played, but I recall doing something a little different.

For the first several levels, I recall using rifles. I would boost the range, and this made bosses and most enemies a breeze early on, despite the rifle's inherent slow animation and reload times because it gives the ability to hit from a distance, thereby compensating for those animation deficiencies and also allowing for better positioning options. The bosses in the park and also the hospital in particular are a total pain in the ass with a short-range wep due to fast movements and large arenas.

Then once the Hospital's boss is dealt with and Chinatown and Warehouse became available, I used a tool to take the range of the rifle I had been using and convert it to a decent weapon for end game/new game+ usage. I know it was a mechgun (might even have been the one you collect junk to get, I don't recall), and I agree with all of the points you made, otherwise.
>>
>>3062448
Good advice anon, but it's setting off my OCD that you used "campaign" in reference to a 19 year old game who's main menu says simply "start game", lol.

That term originally came into use during the WWII FPS craze, and was then later kept on by boneheads who think "campaign" means something totally different than it does and then pushed by marketing teams who are very interested in buzzwords. And now it's so ingrained into the "scene" that normies and people who like slang terms (which is all I assume you are) toss it around as well.

Not trying to insult you. Like I said, you set off muh OCD, and I had to give a history lesson. Of course, I'm sure that someone (or several of them) will kindly explain why I'm wrong, autistic, neckbeard, and etc. But IDGAF, honestly.
>>
>>3066968
>campaign: a systematic course of aggressive activities for some specific purpose
The only thing worse than an obnoxious pedant is an obxnoxious pedant who isn't even right. Here's an elementary-level English lesson, for you moron: words can have multiple meanings.
>>
>>3066968

It's not OCD you're suffering from; it's autism.
>>
>>3066968
>>3067608
This.

I'm the guy who called it campaign.

You can suck muh dick.
>>
File: 1449165479323.png (596 KB, 820x2000) Image search: [Google]
1449165479323.png
596 KB, 820x2000
the guns where the best part of PE.

I just always forget what a good starter weapon for mods is
>>
File: Tales_of_Symphonia_case_cover.jpg (102 KB, 256x360) Image search: [Google]
Tales_of_Symphonia_case_cover.jpg
102 KB, 256x360
Not retro, but it's nostalgic for me (1993, played when I was 10).
First time I rented it I played until I beat the Asgard Human Ranch.
However, I was never able to find the game at Hollywood video very often and my mom didn't buy me games very often. Fucking loved the game though and became obsessed with it even though I never finished it.
I would even make terrible ToS fan-fiction on the old Tales forums.
Probably around Sophomore year of high school I ended up buying a copy myself and played all the way up until Gnome.
I couldn't fucking beat him and it made me not play the game for another two years.

When I picked it up again as a senior though I played through pretty quickly, and it was really accomplishing finally finishing the game after so long. It's one of those games that just has had a huge impact on me.
>>
>>3062456
>tfw not having a memory card
when my faggot friend brought re4 over and that nigger didn't have the 2nd disc, all my WHY

Also renting fucking Crazy Kitchen or whatever that fucking NES game was called way back when
>>
>>3067601
Nobody called the single player mode a campaign until FPSes became popular, which was anon's point. You wouldn't call the main SMB3 game the "campaign" even though there's a multiplayer mode of the original Mario Bros. packed with it.
>>
My compadres and I used to go around smashing cars.

There is an area called Wiggletown out of our city that is literally just one massive trailerpark

>mfw making multiple runs of smashing cars up
>call it "the wiggletown campaign"
it was called wiggletown because the cars would wiggle whenever a car drove by!
>>
>>3067601
Confirmed for CoD purist.
>>
File: 36756-Deathtrap_Dungeon_[U]-1.jpg (97 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
36756-Deathtrap_Dungeon_[U]-1.jpg
97 KB, 600x594
I wasn't missing out on much.
>>
Greendog for Genesis.

I never had a Genesis, but the video store rented them for the weekend. So I got one and Greendog. I have no idea how far I made it. It seemed to go on for hours. I kept thinking I was almost at the end and then another level appeared. Finally I ran out of continues and that was that.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.