[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /Spectrum Master Race/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: image-225-lg.jpg (303 KB, 2400x899) Image search: [Google]
image-225-lg.jpg
303 KB, 2400x899
Who /Spectrum Master Race/ here?
>>
I have a Spectrum. I honestly haven't delved into the library very much because most of it seems pretty shitty.
>>
Skool Dayze
Monty Mole
Untouchables
These were the gems on the speccy
>>
>>3062215
I forgot Treasure Island, which was also pretty rad
>>
My first console. Still works.
>>
I try to play the Amstrad or C64 version of the games because those systems are technologically closer to the stuff I grew up with, but sometimes the speccy is just way ahead of everything else gameplaywise. Currently playing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utos5P3O1l8
>>
I've played a heap of spectrum games because they ported all the junk over to msx cassette in Europe
>>
>>3062136
I grew up with the Spectrum. A few years back, I emulated pretty much the entire library. I played all the games I enjoyed so much when I was a kid. Every one of them was shit. The entire ZX Spectrum library is shit. It's literally worse than the Atari 2600.
>>
>>3062968
This. The C64 completely outclasses the spectrum.
>>
>>3062976
MSX was the superior system. When they weren't flooding it with shitty spectrum ports so like 5% of the time. But the nip games made it worth it.
>>
>want to love 8 bit microcomputers
>in my experience 99.99% of the games are bad, and the 0.01 that isn't is generally "oh, that's cool" novelty value instead of long-term enjoyable.
it's a shame really.
>>
>>3062968
>>3062976
>>3063010
>>3063078
you all sound like retards with ADHD
>>
Poorfag computer for those who couldn't afford a C64 or Amstrad.
>>
"The Nintendo completely blew us away with the sophistication and polish of its games especially compared to most computer games of the time."

-- Chris Stamper
>>
>>3063108
On the contrary most of the games i enjoy are autism simulators (management games) usually on 16 bit machines.
If anything the problem it's that 8 bit games are never complex enough (if they're sim-y) or have superior versions elsewhere (arcade ports etc)
>>
Each time I see the ZX Spectrum I just feel bad for the brits who grew up with those back then.
>>
There were a million bootleg Spectrum clones manufactured and sold on the other side of the Iron Curtain.
>>
>>3063123
Nintendo games could cost over $80 in today's money easy while Spectrum games could cost the equivalent of $20; roughly comparable to a AAA game with an expansion pack vs. an indie game.
>>
>>3063149
I remember Jap games for the MSX being expensive as hell too. And that's counting official releases only.
>>
I will tell you, the imagination and diversity of the Spectrum's games was pretty incredible while 90% of NES games are exactly the same. "Run around scrolling level shooting/stomping/punching stuff. Beat up boss. Collect magic talisman that is used to beat the next boss."
>>
>>3063123
The Stamper brothers seem to be almost unique in being bitten by the Nintendo bug because 90% of British gamers considered it shite.
>>
>>3063123
Most Famicom games were made by top-notch, professional coders/musicians/graphics artists who had on average an entire year to work on them as compared to Yuropoor tape shit made in some neckbeard's living room in a few weeks.
>>
>>3063183
Are you implying that most ZX Spectrum games aren't just primitive platformers?
>>
>>3063149
>while Spectrum games could cost the equivalent of $20
Spectrum games cost about $1 for the blank tape. Rich kids had a Multiface + floppy disks.
>>
>>3063183
This is so inaccurate, it's not even funny.
>>
Never had one, never wanted one. I upgraded from a ZX81 to a C64, and never looked back into Sinclair land. The Speccy just did not have the sound and graphics to woo me.

I still plan on setting up an emulator soon, though. Because when I did look back recently, I found that the Spectrum actually had some interesting exclusives. And sometimes the Speccy versions of games had better gameplay/playability, despite looking and sounding worse.
>>
File: Spectrum_-_Technician_Ted.jpg (51 KB, 302x480) Image search: [Google]
Spectrum_-_Technician_Ted.jpg
51 KB, 302x480
>>3063229
Not just primitive platformers, primitive platformers with horribly mistaken design. Consider Technician Ted, considered the ultimate in the inexplicably popular Manic Miner clone genre. One of the big selling points was "pixel perfect collision". Pixel perfect collision is shit. You have to be the worst kind of nerd to think pixel perfect collision is something to aspire to. Not only are hit boxes more fun, they are also more accurate, because pixel art is not an accurate representation of an object, it only *represents* the object. If you want detailed collisions, you need high resolution meshes and soft body simulation. If you try doing pixel perfect collision on pixel art it will feel completely wrong. Objects will catch on protruding pixels that represent things that would never catch in reality. You don't see Japanese designers making dumb mistakes like this.
>>
>>3063258
>The Speccy just did not have the sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqODENcp9o
>>
>>3063283
> click for the beeper version

I did not know anybody who owned a 128.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.