[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Over the last couple years a lot of classic games got remakes,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: remakes_and_sequels.jpg (3 MB, 2986x1440) Image search: [Google]
remakes_and_sequels.jpg
3 MB, 2986x1440
Over the last couple years a lot of classic games got remakes, reboots, reinterpretations or plain sequels. Have you played both, the original and the remake? If so, how did the new variants fare? What have they done better than the original? What have they done worse? What opportunities have they missed? Have you encountered remakes you like more than the original game? Have you encountered remakes that stink so badly, they're practically an insult to the original?
>>
The best remake of a game has to be PAC-MAN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION DX+ ALL YOU CAN EAT EDITION

because it is fun and nice to look at.
>>
Bottom right? Settlers?
>>
>>3061478
indeed, Settlers II and 10th Anniversary edition, which is specifically taking the Settlers II ruleset and "just" updating the visuals
>>
>>3061469
I actually have to agree with this, not even joking, it's a pretty good "remake".
>>
File: header.jpg (34 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
34 KB, 460x215
>>3061452
Tomb Raider vs Tomb Raider Anniversary.

TRA has a babyfaced Lara, QTE bosses, the shitty adrenaline dodge mechanic, scaling walls is a chore that gets old when it's done every fucking level, and it misses the point as to why Tomb Raider was running on a grid system for five consecutive games. Also, Lara bounces along spikes like they were made of rubber.

To give it praise, it did have some very beautiful environments and the combat was more engaging. Also an excellent PSP port and the PC version runs extremely well, even on craptops.

Technical? Yes, it was nice under the hood. Gameplay? They wrecked it something fierce. Graphics? Really nice. It would've been vastly improved by controls that worked like Mirror's Edge or Sands of Time.
>>
>>3061452
Outrun 2006 is more of a sequel than remake since it was made by the official AM2 team, it is SO good.
>>
>>3061531
True for the arcade version, Sumo Digital was behind the console/pc ports.
>>
>>3061452
video games became an industry just like music or movies

>"why come up with something new when you can rehash/remake/remix?"

wouldn't be so bad if it was just patches and updates without gameplay 'modernizations'
>>
>>3061531
>>3061537
I don't think remakes need to be by different developers.
OutRun 2, may be a sequel in name, but if you look at its content, it is taking exactly the OutRun formula, or concept, and just carefully translating it to modern visuals and mechanics. Contrast that with Turbo OutRun and all the other games that happened in between.
OutRun 2 just kind of says "this is what we would have done in 1986, if we had the means".
I still find myself playing the original far more often, but 2/2006 definitely is a worthy successor, if not re-interpretation of the concept.
>>
>>3061540
I don't think there's much wrong with revisiting old games per se. Settlers and OutRun have been mentioned in the thread already, that are pretty well done updates. As great as the original games are, we have the abilities now to make them be even more entertaining, and neither example managed to crush game mechanics. Tomb Raider would be a different example. The game has been changed on a fundamental level, without much of a reason. I do like TRA, unlike that other anon, but I fully understand that it's not TR1 with modern visuals, it's a very different game. There are plenty of old games I'd love to see remade again. Not necessarily because I'm a graphics whore, but because behind these old games, there's a creative vision, a vision that has been filtered through the hardware of its time, and I'd love to see that exact same vision come to live closer to the imagination of that original creator. So, yeah, I agree with you that a lot of remakes get it wrong, and are cash grabs, but I do not consider them bad on a conceptual layer
>>
File: 2016-02-24_00005.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-24_00005.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Carmageddon Reincarnation is a remake of the original, in the sense that it uses many of the same cars, and that some environments are inspired by the originals, except expanded upon. For instance you will find some of the most iconic places of the game, like the loop or the stadium.

It really took the concept of the original, everything that made it good, and expanded it upon. For instance environments are HUGE with lot's of things to discover and are a lot more detailed than in the original.

The great thing about the game is that it added were the original was weak : the system to "steal" opponent's car is better; enemies AI are actually a threat, even in pure Race mode, the repetitiveness of the game got worked on, as you have many more game modes, all fun in their own ways.

Now there are things it did worse than the original : environments are huge, yes, but not as varied. And the original, while having less overall content, was solid all the way through; while this one has a lot of glitches, including broken challenges and achievements (which matter, because they unlock stuff) that never got fixed, not even in the christmas update, 5 months after those gltiches got first reported.
>>
>>3061562
>this one has a lot of glitches, including broken challenges
oh I really hate that. When a game actually captures the original's mood, which is rare enough, and then fucks up on the polish. Because at the end of the day it means you still got to play the original, since it's the better game, and you get that constant reminder that something out there exists, that shows it can be done better, but falls short.
>>
>>3061565
Yes, it's very disappointing, especially considering the game got updated, and all these annoying glitches never fixed (the update gave it much better performance though); and that I have a feeling they'll never be fixed, since instead they are working on making a "sequel" for console that is actually just the same game, with a couple of different environments and cars... even though they swore Reincarnation would never come out on console.

At least that "sequel" will be free on Steam for those who own Reincarnation, so that's nice. To me looks like an excuse for failing to their fanbase in a way, the fanbase who paid for the game on KS.

But it is a very good game, just disappointing on the edges.
>>
>>3061540
>video games became an industry just like music or movies
It was always like that since the inception of videogames, maybe you haven't played games like Space Invaders which got a gorillion remixes/remakes/rehashes during their golden years.
>wouldn't be so bad if it was just patches and updates without gameplay 'modernizations'
I don't agree, some games' remakes and modernizations, like the PS2 Romancing SaGa remake or the DS remakes are 100% better than the originals, mostly because the game designer knew what he was doing and who he was catering to, other games like Tenchu: Time of the Assassin, which was kind of a remake/reboot of the first one manage to be worse than the original on mostly everything to the point that you might think it was intentional, or the godawful Medievil PSP remake.

I for one am grateful for a large number of remakes or modernizations, it is inevitable that you'll get some huge fuck-ups, I prefer to look at the bright side and enjoy the remakes that are actually good instead of brooding on the botched ones.
>>
File: elite.png (2 MB, 3102x1035) Image search: [Google]
elite.png
2 MB, 3102x1035
I was super excited about this, until it surfaced that it's gonna be a multiplayer game. That was an instant showstopper to me, to the point that I did not even bother looking into any further details of the game. I love the idea of a vast single player universe, where I don't have to deal with other people, where everything and everyone stays "in character", and won't game the engine, because they're simply part of it. Plus the technical marvel of them actually being in the engine.
That aside, the visuals disappointed me. They're good on a technical level, but to me the universe of Elite felt like a makeshift society on the edge of a police state. I was thinking of my Cobra as a cheap transport bucket I got my hands on, not some shiny space ship of awesome. I was thinking of the Coriolis stations as space bazaars, dimly lit, shady. ED is way too "hightech" for me.
>>
>>3061572
>At least that "sequel" will be free on Steam
Is the game available outside of Steam?
>>
An interesting series is the need for speed hot pursuit series.

The first one came out in '98, the second in '02 and the third in '10, all of which got better with every release.
>>
>>3061608
last time I checked the '10 version got laughed out of the room for being a shallow piece of shit, and a Burnout with NFS branding. '02 was one of the last "old NFS" games, and tried to just improve on the '98 game. Nothing will ever beat High Stakes though.
>>
>>3061614
the '10 version got a cold reception because it wasn't modern enough to beat things like forza 3 but it wasn't classic enough to appeal to nostalgiafags, but the game was solid and enjoyable if you like racing in super cars.
>>
>>3061624
in other words, they failed at making a good NFS, and they failed at making a generic modern racing game
>>
>>3061624
>it wasn't classic enough to appeal to nostalgiafags
Maybe they shouldn't have named it after one of the best titles of the old series. That branding was deliberate, and the execution did not deliver.
>>
File: 320px-SegaAges2500Vol13_title.png (137 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
320px-SegaAges2500Vol13_title.png
137 KB, 320x224
Outrun 2 is an awesome game even though I still think drift is a meme that stopped being cool decades ago. Sega Ages remake in other hand is the typical case of "what the fuck they were thinking". If they only had ported the original game into the pack I wouldn't be so upset, but they didn't. Golden Axe had the exactly same problem, the 3D is shovelware tier and the game plays horribly.
>>
>>3061564
>For instance environments are HUGE with lot's of things to discover
haven't played the remake but how tight is the time limit? as far as i remember the first game had a very lenient time limit so you can actually go around doing stunts and basically explore stuff while the subsequent games have a more limited time in that you have to always keep doing something to top up that time limit, which can be very frustrating at times.
>>
>>3061642
>I still think drift is a meme that stopped being cool decades ago
I think OutRun 2 executed it skillfully. When I saw screens of the game, I was actually quite skeptical. It felt too tryhard, and unnecessary for an OutRun. In practice though, when playing it, it works surprisingly well for two reasons. One, it actually meshes with the style of the driver, and that carefree attitude the game oozes; and two, it introduces a useful mechanic, where you can trade speed and control for tighter turns. In OutRun 1 you feel a bit helpless on tight turns, where all you can do is try to start them on the right side of the road, and to let go of the accelerator. OutRun 2 just adds a stylish third option.
>>
>>3061649
and I forgot, I adore the way the girlfriend reacts to the drifts. So many times I've crashed just because I've been looking at her instead of the road ahead. Giving the girlfriend this much life was a brilliant idea, as it contributes to the uplifting atmosphere so much.
>>
File: 1506.png (190 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
1506.png
190 KB, 1536x1152
I am one of approximately 4 people who still play colonization. I don't play it that often since there's no one around to discuss it.
>>
>>3061865
it's on my ever growing list of games I want to play. In fact, Col was one of the reasons I bought the Civ 4 pack that included it
>>
File: spivs.jpg (465 KB, 1469x711) Image search: [Google]
spivs.jpg
465 KB, 1469x711
>>3061578
Basically came here to say all of this, except I always imagined my space travel to be colorful, whirring, bleepy bloop excursions between stations.
>>
The DuckTales Remastered thing was better than the original in that it actually has a final level instead of making you run through Transylvania for a third (fucking third!) time.
>>
>>3061531
I used to play the shit out of the arcade version of that game.

I miss the arcades.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.