[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Super Retro Trio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: Super Retro Trio.jpg (173 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Super Retro Trio.jpg
173 KB, 1200x900
Anyone here tried it and have any opinions? Is it worth the money if you're not necessarily a purist?
>>
Why buy clone consoles if you could just emulate?
>>
>>3061384
This is easier to move around between tvs. I kind of want something to use as an option rather than to replace emulation.
>>
>>3061387
raspberry pi? its even easier to move around
>>
>>3061394
Yeah but I like the support for the original controllers this console seems to have. Raspberry pi is what I'm looking at if this console doesn't seem to deliver.
>>
>>3061415
How many of the original controllers do you have? How many cartridges do you have?

I just have my computer hooked up to multiple displays across my apartment and USB hubs for the input.
>>
Seems like you've made up your mind.
>>
File: 1433904582638.gif (2 MB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1433904582638.gif
2 MB, 512x384
>>3061382
M Y W I F E
Y

W
I
F
E
>>
>>3061432
does your wife love it too?
>>
>>3061437
No, but my wife's son does!
>>
File: When buying a Retron.jpg (116 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
When buying a Retron.jpg
116 KB, 640x960
>>
>>3061382
You could get this but it seems a touch pointless, you'll be getting all the downsides of emulation(Things like color being off, sound being strange) with all the downsides of using original hardware(having to clean cartridges, not being able to use roms unless you buy a flash cart).

You should go fully emulation or fully real, unless you already own either a huge collection of the games for each system or just have flash carts.

All that said the front panel on that clone looks fucking sweet, I hope it lets you use the wrong controllers, like using the nes controller on md.
>>
>>3061387
Is that the only thing you shills can think of to justify these pieces of crap? This board has shredded every "reason" advanced to own these things. It's pretty clear this is thinly veiled advertisement. Peddle your shit somewhere else.

And shame on you if you post in this thread. I'm posting with the damn thing at the top. Let this shit die.
>>
if you're not necessarily purist then just emulate
>>
>>3061387
Honestly, how often do you move consoles from one TV to another? I only ever move my consoles if I'm rearranging my battlestation. Why would you even need to move them? (Oh the wife and her son are home and want to watch the big TV. I'll just have to haul my games downstairs to the basement to keep playing.) Plus, even if you moved from room to room often enough, if you had enough real cartridges to make one of these worthwhile, you wouldn't be able to move your collection around, and you'd still have to get up and go to another room to get your games.
>>
>>3061382
>Anyone here tried it and have any opinions?
My neighbour did, his wife came crying to me.
>>
>don't want to emulate
>buys an emulator machine

kek
>>
>>3061691
Don't confuse it with the Retron 5.
This is just three systems on a chip in one box.
>>
>>3061429
I have for NES, SNES and Genesis.

>>3061431
Why do you think that?

>>3061456
>You could get this but it seems a touch pointless, you'll be getting all the downsides of emulation(Things like color being off, sound being strange) with all the downsides of using original hardware(having to clean cartridges, not being able to use roms unless you buy a flash cart).
That's a good argument. I might reconsider just getting original consoles then.

>>3061629
>Honestly, how often do you move consoles from one TV to another?
If I had this console I would probably move pretty often. Sometimes I would move them so I could play while I hang out with my roommate and his room and so on.

>and you'd still have to get up and go to another room to get your games.
Yeah but that's only if I don't play the same game for a longer while, which I usually do.

>>3061691
I even mentioned in the thread that this wouldn't replace emulation for me, just be an option.

>>3061703
Retron 5 better or what?
>>
>>3061771
No, Retron 5 is not better as it is a pure emulation machine that requires physical carts.

As many others said here, there are really 3 respectable options.

> 1. Completely Authentic
Real hardware + real games

> 2. Mostly Authentic
Real hardware + Flashcarts

> 3. Convenience
Emulation box like a raspberry pi
>>
>>3061771
Retron 5 doesn't have the problems associated with clone consoles but it has the problems associated with low powered emulation and issues with scaling.
>>
I don't understand who these products are for?

If you want 100% cetified authentic just get the real console. It's cheaper than this.

Otherwise you have lots of emulators and frontends to choose from to make an emulator box of any old pc.
>>
>>3061827
They're for people who don't know better.
>>
>>3061820
I hear it also can't draw diagonal lines properly, is that a result of its improper scaling?
>>
>>3061387
I've been accused of shilling this in the past, and I guess it's shit but the Alienware Alpha is a small for factor "gaming" PC that can be found for about $400.

Runs everything I have at high except Crysis 3 which runs at medium. It's a cool system and I use it to emulate in my living room and for LAN parties.
>>
>>3061835
It should be because it first upscales to 720 and then the TV upscales to 1080.
>>
>>3061843
You're better off building your own PC. It will be cheaper and fit your personal requirements better.
>>
>>3061856
I mean, obv its late now, but I've never built PCS using such a small form factor before.
>>
OP here.

You guys convinced me not to buy it. Right now looking at just buying original hardware or just put together a raspberry pi retro thingie (even though I have zero knowledge about raspberry pi).
>>
>>3061382
>>3062228

Sorry that OP got bullied into against a clone.

Super Retro Trio and Retron 3 arent as bad as people say.

Super Retro Trio in S-video:
SNES- Great! Identical to original hardware.
Genesis- Slightly below average for Genesis (nasty jailbars)
NES- Super sharp and crisp but it has a weird checkerboarding effect. Also the colors are extra bright so they look a bit neonish.

Retron 3 in S-Vide
SNES- Also great! Identical to original hardware in S-video.
Genesis- Slightly better than original hardware since the original Genesis doesn't do S-video without a mod. No jailbars, great looking picture, only possible complaint is that colors are a bit muted, but not by much.
NES- Does not do S-video NES output to my knowledge.

Depending on what you are using it for you can find happiness with these. I've already invested in SNES and Genesis everdrives, dont have an NES everdrive and am really a tech wizard. I've been plenty happy with my Retron 3 with my SNES/Gen everdrives.
>>
>>3062228
Wise decision.
>>
>>3061382
>Anyone here tried it and have any opinions?

Console clones are all shit. They're all horribly inaccurate and high failure rates. Good luck not being able to play your favorite games because they aren't compatible.

>>3062228
>put together a raspberry pi

That isn't much better. You'll get better speed emulating games on your desktop. Do you necessarily need to have a separate device running to your TV?
>>
Just get the original hardware.
Get an NES 2 (don't get the normal NES)
Then a SNES, then a Sega Genesis.
>>
>>3061771

There was a guy posting about this shit a few weeks ago. Raving about the blue one.

Saying it would be great to have something in another room.

Are you just shilling or what?

No one's going to buy that shit. This is basically for normies who find a few games in the attic but no console.
>>
>>3061382
If the Duo one is anything to go by some games become glitchy

Super Mario kart has glitched sprites
>>
>>3062398
Bullied? He asked if it was worth it, everyone said "no".

Good move OP. On top of the fact that it's literally an emulation machine, it's super cheaply made and can break easier than any other option.
>>
>>3061382
Objectively worse than Wii emulation and it can't even use roms so you're putting wear on your carts for absolutely no reason.
>>
File: 1454544525472.jpg (24 KB, 311x311) Image search: [Google]
1454544525472.jpg
24 KB, 311x311
>paying for emulation
>>
>>3062428
>Do you necessarily need to have a separate device running to your TV?
Not sure if 'need' is the word to describe it, but it would be pretty sweet since I have two different places I mainly play video games at in my house. I'll be fine just having one station. It was meant to be more of a luxury items more than anything.
>>
>>3062490
ill keep that in mind the next time i go skateboarding on my videogame console
>>
>>3062476
I have a Retro Duo and that isn't true.
>>
>>3062490
It's cloned hardware not an emulator, you uninformed nignog.
>>
>>3062503
You're paying for the convenience of a multi-system hardware that accepts original peripherals while also not having to chase down proprietary cables. Or you're not paying for it because you don't see the value. We're all very impressed that you're a purist who can't accept anything other than original hardware; judging others who don't share your exact same viewpoint, not so much.
>>
>>3063224
you got really upset about that.
>>
>>3063217
oh fuck you're right. I was thinking of the Retron 5. All have the same plastic though.
>>
My wife and her best friend Tavarius love playing on these when they have their sleepovers when I'm out of town.
>>
>>3063432
>anything other than complete agreement is now "upset"
>>
>>3063480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yCwIjFmSKE
>>
>>3063484
this guy is now "upset"
>>
>>3061691
> not understanding what emulation is
> being this ignorant about clone hardware
>>
>>3064991

>mad about a post from yesterday
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.