[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some examples of retro games that offer incredibly solid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: 1446242876093.jpg (79 KB, 650x390) Image search: [Google]
1446242876093.jpg
79 KB, 650x390
What are some examples of retro games that offer incredibly solid control? You know, where the game's physics achieve just the right balance of movement speed, responsiveness, simulated gravity, jumping height, etc.

Pic related. Super Metroid is a pretty tight and fast-paced game once you master Samus' maneuvering.
>>
>>3060692
>Super Metroid
>good controls

Is this a new epic meme?
>>
File: nes_castlevania[1].jpg (443 KB, 1600x998) Image search: [Google]
nes_castlevania[1].jpg
443 KB, 1600x998
>>
>Metroid
Eh, gotta have to disagree with this one.
>default scheme shoots with X, jumps with A and runs with B
>missile, super missile, grapple, x-ray select all messed up
>moon jump physics everywhere, something that doesn't happen in any other metroid
>>
File: bioniccommandonesu[1].jpg (121 KB, 640x922) Image search: [Google]
bioniccommandonesu[1].jpg
121 KB, 640x922
>>
Megaman, especially X after you get the dash
>>
>>3060695
>>3060719

Control, not control(s). As in how the character's maneuvering feels. It's a feel thing. Not a controller configuration issue.

This anon gets it >>3060724
>>
SMW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWgvPSkgMzY
>>
The Donkey Kong Country series comes to mind it had very smooth platforming and control in general.

Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and Megaman 1-6 (probably some of the best of the 8bit era.)
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
>SM
>Good movement physics
>>
>>3060692
even as a metroid fanboy, sm's physics are kinda floaty.

project base remedies it, but also fucks alot of shit, like walljumping.

anyway, the SNES had too shitty of a controller to have games with good controls. the switches for the buttons were weird and squishy, so it's a shitty system for good controls to begin with.
>>
>>3061164
Genesis fanboy detected.
>>
>>3061164
>complaining about gravity in a game that takes place on an alien planet
>>
>>3060695
>>3060748

Super Metroid's controls are fine. You probably have an issue with the gravity.
>>
>>3060748
Still feels off in Super Metroid, the original had better physics.
>>
>>3060692
>retro games that offer incredibly solid control?
Real physical pinball machines. That's literally the only option for on-topic games. Everything else either has framerate problems (60fps is low framerate), latency problems, or a physics engine tied to framerate in a variable framerate game (eg. the Quake games).
>>
>>3061184
Genesis fanboy reporting, Shinobi 3 is the correct answer to this thread. Batman (NES) is up there too.

>>3060715
I agree even though many would not
>>
>>3060723
I see your Bionic Commando and raise you Umihara Kawase.
>>
>>3060692
Pretty much every first party Nintendo game ever.

You can shit on them all you want for their perceived decline in quality and rehashing, but it's very easy to take for granted the amount of technical polish their games have always had.
>>
>>3060692
I think Mario 64 has the best control of all Mario games. Great feeling of momentum, gravity and speed. And it has a move set and levels that allow you to have fun and play like an acrobat without slowing you down.
Every Mario game after has him feeling so light, there's no real weight behind his movement so it feels like you're just switching between "stop" and "go" states. You can't chain a bunch of moves together and just feel good. It's the same as with an FPS game. If just the movement is fun by itself, you've got a good game on your hands.
>>
While Super Metroid doesn't control that good, it's still fine to play and, after all she's wearing a heavy power armor.

>>3060724
This. When I first played Megaman X, the tight controls really struck me. X is so responsive and the dashes and wall jumps are fun.

Borderline retro Guilty Gear X and its sequels have my favorite fighting game physics. Very fast and punchy, it's a blast to play.
>>
File: Gimmick!-title.png (5 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Gimmick!-title.png
5 KB, 256x240
gimmick!
>>
File: exile c64.webm (1 MB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
exile c64.webm
1 MB, 400x296
>>3064312
>>
>>3060692
picture unrelated
>>
>>3061164
>but also fucks alot of shit
Project Base is perfect, fuck you.
>>
>>3061139
This, I have yet to play a platformer with tighter controls
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.