[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I was wondering if you guys could recommend your favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9
File: MetalSonic.png (18 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
MetalSonic.png
18 KB, 100x100
So, I was wondering if you guys could recommend your favorite single player games that you think are just fun to turn on and play?

I just started emulating games recently and played through all the old Sonic titles as well as Donkey Kong Country and want some more specifically for SNES and Genesis, don't worry about recommending games that seem like obvious answers because I haven't really played these consoles since my youth (I was actually just going to find a Mario rom but I don't even remember which ones I liked, so I figured I'd just ask for general recommendations)
>>
No fighting games.
#thewayitsmeanttobeplayed
>>
File: garfield-thread.jpg (9 KB, 191x125) Image search: [Google]
garfield-thread.jpg
9 KB, 191x125
>>3059486
You are just in every fucking thread aren't you. Suck at fighters much?
>>
File: earthworm-jim-1-03.png (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
earthworm-jim-1-03.png
67 KB, 640x480
>>3059495
He sucks at them and is eternally pissed that he'll never be good enough to really play them. It's funny and sad at the same time.

>>3059223
I take it by turn on and play, you're looking for something action oriented where you don't have to learn much before starting? Most retro games are just turn on and play.

A few random recommendations

>Space Harrier
Fast paced, very fun rail shooter. Simple but challenging.

>Ranger-X
Really fun arcadey action game where you fly around in a mech.

>Metal Slug (any of them really)
Great for run and gun action, just start shooting and keep moving

>Earthworm Jim
Another straight action-platformer, very well made a ton of fun and goofy.

These are a bit of a stab in the dark, but are all excellent games in my opinion.
>>
>>3059550
>Adv2xSAI on dithering heavy game

Full retarded.
>>
>>3059560
It's just a random screenshot from the internet, dingus. Nice trigger through. :)
>>
>>3059550
>Space Harrier
>rail shooter
What is it with people on this board not understanding that rail shooters don't let you move? The origin of the term refers to the fact that you can't control your movement, you know, as if you're riding on a train.

In fact, the only difference between a game like Space Harrier and scrolling shooters like Gradius or Raiden, is the camera perspective. The background still auto-scrolls around you, and you can fucking move around. Calling games like Space Harrier "rail shooters" is just ignorant and uneducated.
>>
File: sonic_and_tails.jpg (140 KB, 1000x775) Image search: [Google]
sonic_and_tails.jpg
140 KB, 1000x775
>>3059486
OP here, fighting games are pretty much the only games I play, hence the lack of other games, so it's odd that you say that.

I mean, fighting games are on single player are ok for some things...you always beat arcade mode just to say you did it/unlock everything in a game, and the occasional arcade run just to knock the dust off is fun, but you're never going to get good at a fighting game if all you do is arcade runs, because AI is exploitable and predictable, which is not good for a competitive genre in which you'd be forced to learn actual strategies against more skilled players.

>>3059550
Thanks for the recs, I forgot about Earthworm Jim...I remember renting it once as a child for Genesis, I'll definitely get that one.
>>
I'm going to assume that by "all the old Sonic titles" you weren't talking about all of the spin-offs and suggest Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Great puzzler, actually Puyo Puyo if you have any idea what that is. Lots of simple-minded fun.

For Mario titles, Super Mario World for the SNES is awesome. Go with either it or Super Mario 3 for the NES (or the All-Stars game for the SNES, which has 1, 2 (both Japanese and American), and 3.

As a kid, I loved Joe & Mac. Give it a try.
>>
>>3059571
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_gun_%28video_game%29

Meh, I'm fine siding with the wikipedia definition. It's the term most people use for the game, it gives OP an idea of what sort of thing he's in for and that's the main reason for genre names.

Glad I could russle your jimmies though. :)
>>
>>3059579
Are you buying your emulating? What systems are you going for?
>>
>>3059571
You are fucking retarded. Space Harrier has always been a rail shooter.
>>
It's sounds like you've never played Super Metroid.

You REALLY need to play Super Metroid.
>>
File: Splatterhouse-3.gif (33 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Splatterhouse-3.gif
33 KB, 320x240
Splatterhouse 3 is fun, too. Though I am admittedly bad at it.
>>
>>3059639
Noted, and no I've actually never played any Metroid game aside from the Gamecube one, even as a kid it was a series that escaped me.

>>3059608
Emulating, right now I just have a SNES and Genesis emulator but I suppose I should get a NES one as well.

>>3059582
Alright thanks, as for the Mario games I think I'll download All-Stars then and just start with 1. My main problem is that I'm indecisive so looking at long lists of roms I never no which games to get, I was a big Sonic growing up though so those were easy, Bean Machine was a game I played a whole lot with my cousin.
>>
>>3059672
>as for the Mario games I think I'll download All-Stars then and just start with 1.
I really wouldn't recommend All-Stars. Stick with the NES versions.
>>
File: adahan.jpg (9 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
adahan.jpg
9 KB, 230x219
Ever played Ristar? It's probably my favorite non-Sonic genesis platformer. It can be frustrating on an emulator, though, because a lot of usb controllers suck at recognizing diagonal d-pad presses and diagonals are essential in Ristar.
Are you into shmups or RPGs, or just looking for Sonic and Mario style platformers? It is best to be specific when asking for recommendations.
As far as stuff along the same lines as Sonic, try Konami's Tiny Toons game (I think its called Buster's Hidden Treasure) if you haven't yet.
>>
>>3059683
I meant to say "for Genesis" about both of those. There are other Konami tiny Toons games for other systems but I have not played them.
>>
Most of these recs are pretty great, so I'll just add a few things when you're done:

Legend of the Mystical Ninja is a bit slower-paced, but gives nice diversity between platforming, top-down segments, and minigames, if you want to broaden your horizons and don't mind a bit of weeaboo.

If you like fighting games but aren't too into the competitive aspect, then beat 'em ups might be for you. Can't go wrong with River City Ransom or Final Fight.

If you had fun with Donkey Kong and want more after Super Mario World and the NES games, Yoshi's Island is pretty great. Has distinct gameplay/tone from the "main" series, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of, and has lots of fun gimmicks. On a similar note, Kirby games are generally simple enough to turn on and play easily.

In terms of Genesis games, you might like Gunstar Heroes or Rocket Knight Adventures.
>>
>>3059223
Genesis:
>Shadow Dancer
>The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi
>Shinobi III
>Contra Hard Corps
>Kid Chameleon
>Ghouls'N Ghost
>Mega Turrican

SNES:
>Contra III Alien Wars
>Super Ghouls'N Ghosts
>Super Castlevania IV
>Super Turrican I and II
>>
>>3059661
This OP, Splatterhouse II and II for the Megadrive. Also get an NES emulator. I used to play much more SNES and Megadrive games when younger but today I mostly play NES gameswhich are fun, challenging and fast to play. Lots of hidden gems too.
>>
>>3059595
Did you even read the whole thing? The definition there describes it as "moving around the screen while the game follows a specific route" and fails to address the fact that this is exactly the same way that other auto-scrollers can be described. As I've already pointed out, it merely points to the camera perspective as the major distinction, completely ignoring the movement mechanic. I'll give it credit in its mention of light gun shooters, though, since those tend not to allow control over movement.
>>
>>3060127
You are a special kind of idiot.
>>
>>3059742
>Not mentioning Quackshot on genesis

the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
File: 250px-Norembox.jpg (20 KB, 250x296) Image search: [Google]
250px-Norembox.jpg
20 KB, 250x296
>>3059223
This will be kind of niche but:

Crusader: No Remorse.

I'm amazed the game even got released at all considering that it's a game about going postal on an industrial factory. Complete with taking hostages, gunning down civilians, and horribly maiming guards in terrible ways. All with fully voiced screams and moans.

I'm convinced if this game were made two years later, it wouldn't have been sold. It's probably the most violent game in my collection and that includes games made today.

That said, the gunplay feels nice and it's full of puzzles.
>>
Yeah you really need Super Metroid.

I like the Alien 3 game but nobody else does.

Battletech (Mechwarrior 3050 on SNES), Desert Strike, Aladdin, Prince of Persia, Flashback, Blackthorne, Lost Vikings, The Immortal, Lion King, OutRun, NHL 94, Mario Kart, Wild Guns, Micro Machines 2
>>
>>3060913
Shit, I completely forgot that one. Also since we're one the topic of Disney games:
>Castle Of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse on Genesis
>Magical Quest I and II on SNES
>>
>>3059682
>I really wouldn't recommend All-Stars. Stick with the NES versions.

How come?
>>
Super Metroid is probably one of my favorite games to just go fucking around in. I've long since memorized the map, but it's great if you haven't given it a try yet.
>>
>>3059550
>earthworm jim
>playing that underwater glass bubble level and not wanting to shoot yourself in the face out of frustration
>>
>>3063272
Play the special edition, it has a secret that lets you skip the Tube Race level.
>>
>>3059223
Kirby superstar
easily one of the better games you could turn on, play for a few minutes or a few hours and enjoy it
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.