[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What FF IV is the best to play?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
File: Final Fantasy IV Advance-3.png (23 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy IV Advance-3.png
23 KB, 240x160
What FF IV is the best to play?
>>
>>3059170
I really like the GBA version, has a better translation than the snes (other than a few memetic lines kept for posterity) as well as being visually very similar, along with some extra content.
>>
I'm going to venture a guess and say Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection on the PSP. It's been on my to-do list for a while.
>>
THIS
H
R
E
AGAIN
D
>>
I just finished the ds version for the first time and loved it. At times I did myself grinding quite a bit especially during the end but that only because I suck. Also, i played it without looking into how the augment system works so I completely botched it making the game harder on myself
>>
File: shatner.jpg (57 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
shatner.jpg
57 KB, 256x224
>>3059170
Currently playing the J2E translation for SNES. It's pretty good, though this part was absolutely fucking terrible
>>
Your going to get a ton of emotional hard-lined responses about this... The overwhelming 2 opinions will be either:

the original SNES ff2 USA... maybe with the hardtop was translation etc

Or, the PSP remake.

If you are a fan of older gfx etc the original is probably fine, if you've never played ff2 and older tuff frustrates you, then tr PSP remake will be your best bet. It updates gfx and a few other things but stays mostly true to the original.
>>
>>3059304
Hardtype*****
>>
File: 1456747627666.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1456747627666.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
Stop this.
>>
The original SNES version (U.S.) was toned down way too much, to the extent that items and abilities were completely stripped from the game. Don't even bother.

The PS1 port, despite its load times. It's probably the most accurate to the original game. It uses the original Japanese ROM ("Hardtype") as a base. The translation quality is so-so, but definitely better than any of the alternative releases.

The GBA version is riddled with bugs, has a technicolor bright palette that makes everything look washed out, has ugly redesigned character portriats, and has a shit awful retranslation. The PSP version scales the graphics improperly and recycles the GBA's shit awful retranslation, so there's that.

The DS version cuts down on the size of enemy formations due to memory restrictions or some shit, but enemies are also balanced to be more difficult as a result. Any bonus features found in the GBA and PSP releases are no longer present, but the game introduces a unique augment system that lets you specialize characters in a sort of multi-classing fashion. Tack yet another shit awful translation on top of that.

Conclusion: I'd stick with the PS1 version. You can even run it on your PSP.
>>
>>3059170
SNES. The best version is always the original release version.
>>
>>3059170
I hope you can read Japanese, because every single translation is bad. If not, play IV Advance with the color and sound restoration patch.
>>
File: act-e.png (8 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
act-e.png
8 KB, 256x224
>>3059260
Palom’s line about the bad acting was changed to say, “I think William Shatner is more convincing than you.”

legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/
>>
>>3059170
Here's a pastebin at the time which was most favorable to play, but opinions change over the years.

http://pastebin.com/8aqKfzNG
>>
>>3059481
> and sound restoration patch.
I played with sound restoration patch, it's no better.
>>
If you want to experience the original, get FFII US and patch it w/Namingway Edition hack, which gives you the overall best fake localization (translation fits within FFII US's cartridge memory limits but is cleaner and more faithful vs. J2E and OG release) based on the Project II hack. Namingway also has updated series terms (ex. Summons are now Eidolons). I used this for my run and, while it's not perfect, seems closer to what a better localization team would have done with FFII back in the day.
>>
>>3059176
The PSP version is great and comes with an exclusive short segment to bridge the gap between FF4 and TAY.

How is the PC version? I want to get it on Steam. It's basically just a higher resolution port of the DS version right?
>>
>>3059794
It's not as good as the original audio, but still better than vanilla IV Advance.
>>
>>3059325
the Europe version of the GBA port fixed the bugs. Only the US version is a buggy mess.
>>
>>3059817
>Namingway Edition hack

Are you the same anon always advertising this hack? It's really none of the things you listed. The script edits are just a few tacked on lines that aren't even that faithful to the original script. It's more like something that was run through a machine translation then edited by a person with no real knowledge of Japanese. And no, I'm not saying J2e is any better.

>Namingway also has updated series terms (ex. Summons are now Eidolons)

i.e. It changes and adds shit that wasn't in the original game. That's far from "experiencing the original."

Let's not forget those horrendous squishy tile spell strings.
>>
>>3059838
No, this is the first post I've made about it.
>>
>>3059837
>the Europe version of the GBA port fixed the bugs. Only the US version is a buggy mess.

No it didn't. It minimized the presence of the bugs. They still occur, including the bug that causes enemies to steal your characters' turns, and vice versa. I regretfully imported the European version thinking the bugs would be gone.
>>
I want to say "this thread again", but this is actually a legitimate question. We should have a general for this since it comes up so much.
>>
I personally prefer the playstation port
>>
>>3059838
The squish tiles aren't that great for sure but the translation is a lot better than the original localization. I prefer the updated names myself, but I see no other way of making it work then those awfully crunched letters. Still, if you want to play the SNES original it's not a bad option in comparison.

I prefer the PSP version overall but I've heard a lot of people don't like it.
>>
They're all shit translations. Either learn Japanese, or just play the SNES version and then forget the game exists.
>>
How do people learn about cool NES/SNES era games to play?
Sure I can download a goodset and filter out bad dumps but it doesn't provide me with descriptions and most of the top 25/100 lists are all cookie cutters with the same games in it.

Obviously not talking about FF because everybody knows that series
>>
>I want to play the original, warts and all

FF4 (Super Famicom)

>I want to play something like the original, but with improvements and also in English

FF Chronicles (PlayStation)

>I want to play the original and also wish I had more game in my game

FF4 Advance (GBA)

>Even more please

FF4: The Complete Collection (PSP/Vita)

>I want something with the same plot and characters of FF4, but in 3D and way harder and voice acting

FF4 DS

>Any other versions I should know about?

Anything else not listed here is not worth your time. These versions range from servicable albeit incomplete/censored all the way down to overpriced dogshit.

>HOLY FUCK SHUT UP AND PICK ONE FOR ME

FF4CC on PSP is arguably the best, but DS is an amazing remake and well worth checking out.
>>
>>3060131
FF4CC battles are much longer with spell animations.
>>
>>3060262

Not to mention the horribly upscaled graphics detail. This was a problem with the PSP versions of FF1 and 2 as well.
>>
>>3060273
>Not to mention the horribly upscaled graphics detail. This was a problem with the PSP versions of FF1 and 2 as well.
Where are you getting this nonsense from? I think you're confusing the PSP versions with the shitty smartphone and Steam versions. The PSP versions look great.

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way/
>Just look at Final Fantasy IV's PSP remake (source):
>I'm not done yet, here's a before and after of Final Fantasy I, the NES and the PSP respectively (source, source) :
>The HD version is clearly inspired by and faithful to the original artwork, but it's also actually well done.
>>
>>3060131
>and voice acting
>FF4 DS

Woah, I didn't know this. Dodged a bullet there.
>>
>>3060302
Not him, but I don't like PSP remake visuals as too.
>>
>>3060321
I can totally understand not liking the new artwork, but it is factually incorrect to say that the PSP graphics are upscaled improperly. The PSP graphics aren't upscaled. They're completely redrawn.

The other anon probably doesn't even own a PSP, Googled some shit, and parroted the first blog post without even understanding what it said.

The smartphone versions on the other hand... fuck me those are awful.
>>
>>3060262
A 0.3 second animation being stretched to 0.55 seconds is hardly worth complaining about.

If anything, FF4 DS battles are the longest animations AND, particularly with boss battles, the enemies have more HP and generally take longer to defeat since they hit harder too.
>>
>>3060353
>The PSP graphics aren't upscaled. They're completely redrawn.

That may be true, but I'm referring to the quality of their appearance. Evidently the monster sprites were redrawn by several different artists using different brushes and filters, because the quality is not at all consistent from one bitmap to the next. You'd have to be visually impaired not to notice.
>>
>>3060360
>"Everybody has to like what I like!"

Thanks for derailing yet another FF4 thread.
>>
>>3060398
examples?
>>
>>3060409
I'm sorry, you seemed to have quoted me >>3060360 by mistake.
>>
I'd recommend the original version.

>>3059260
I've heard the original localization is lacking. is there a decent retranslation patch out there? (aka one that isn't literalist with meme references)
>>
>>3060360
A lot of white magic spells are almost one second to three second longer than white magic in the SNES version.

As for black magic, the spell animations are a little more than double than SNES version.

Mind you these are comparing the 2D FFIV games and not counting the 3D version. So if I wanted to pick which 2D version to play, it would be either PS1 or SNES.
>>
As some anons said these questions are often coming up but I don't believe we can blame the people for asking. So it makes me wonder, is /vr/ archived somewhere?
>>
>>3061513
https://desustorage.org/vr/

It lacks a lot of images from before a certain date
>>
>>3061513
I mentioned earlier that we should make a general for this. Maybe making a guide to highlight the different versions of each game might work, but that might be a bit more challenging.

Unrelated, but I've also been pushing to release some "/vr/'s guide to (system/series/genre)" infographics so people stop asking for game recommendations or "hidden gems". I haven't ever really got any interest on this though.
>>
>>3061550
That could be a good idea to make some kind pastebin for these, I'm not sure about a whole guide though. Originally this board is here to discuss about these things, by putting everything in the same place the board will lose its function kinda.

Food for thought.
>>
>>3061160
Wait, holy shit, let's back up here.

You're saying, that due to the load times of PSP, you'd rather play FF4 on the fucking PS1?

I have NEVER heard anyone complaining about load times on PSP in regards to FF4, I'm almost certain you've gotten yourself confused as to which version is which. PSP load times are quite zippy and if you're using a digital version or a Vita they're completely negligble.
>>
GBA or PSP, up to you
>>
>>3061905
>recommending the bugfest that is FFIV GBA.

Not to mention it's the easiest version.
>>
For 2D either the PAL GBA or PSP versions.
Both have extra postgame content, PSP includes the Sequel if you want to torture yourself with it.

The US and JP 1.0 of the GBA is riddled with bugs due to a rushed holiday release, so stick with the PAl version, PSP doesn't have any of the bugs.

All of the later 2D releases give you the ability to edit the party near the endgame so you aren't forced to use the orginal final 5.

For the closest to the orginal Vanilla JP release there's the Playstation version, but the translation is a bit spotty.

3D is more of a reimagning of the orginal game, a lot of stuff has been tweaked and generally considered a harder game than the original.

Doesn't feature any of the bonus content the later 2D versions have, but does feature New Game + And a Superboss unique to it.

Doesn't feature the party swapping the later 2D versions have.

Not too many differences between the versions, the DS version was first and features an exclusive summon and some minigames, the Android/iOS/Steam versions are identical aside from not having said summon and minigames.

The After Years also has a 3D version on Mobile and Steam, it is however a straight port, but features a completey neutered final dungeon and is generally half assed. If you must play TAY Play the PSP version.
>>
>>3061857
Without Data Install the PSP version does have iffy load times, but I still don't think it's as bad as the PS1 version.

With Data Install or having the game downloaded on your memory stick, load times are non existent.
>>
>>3062156
Huh, I never knew the Pal versions were better, have had the PAL GBA one for years and loved it, was wondering why people were shitting all over it.
>>
>>3062156
>Both have extra postgame content
All of which are terribly shoehorned. Albeit, the post-game content in FF4 was better than the pseudo-roguelike shit included in FF1. FF2's post-game content was actually worthwhile however.

>The US and JP 1.0 of the GBA is riddled with bugs due to a rushed holiday release, so stick with the PAl version
The European release has the same bugs - they just aren't triggered as often. I imported it.

>For the closest to the orginal Vanilla JP release there's the Playstation version, but the translation is a bit spotty
Nigga, what? The GBA translation is 10x worse, yet you singled out the PS1 version instead.
>>
>>3062246
I never said the Postgame content was exceptional, I just said that it exists.

And yes, the PAL and JP 1.1 GBA version still have bugs, but if you were for some reason going to play the GBA version it would be the preferred version.

And both the GBA and Playstation translations have their quirks. I never said the PS version was worse, just that it's the closest version to the orginal unmodified JP SNES version that isn't a fan translation.
>>
>>3059170
SNES version
GBA version
DS version
Avoid all other versions as they are plagued by shitty translations, shitty load times, or horrible shitty generic rpg maker art
>>
>>3064876
SNES is the original shitty translation, anon. And we've already covered how to avoid load times on superior consoles and I just realized you're a Nintendo fanboy.
>>
>>3064876

... All three of those versions make up the shittiest translations available.

Is this some next level trolling?
>>
>>3059170
GBA version if you want something close to the original

DS version if you want a pretty fun new spin on mostly the same game
>>
>>3060131

Oddly enough I never found FF4DS much harder than the other versions.

Probably because I grind like hell no matter which version I play.
>>
>>3064935
>Nintendo fanboy.
Not even remotely, I just hate unnecessary load times and ugly, lazy rpg maker graphics
>>
>>3061075
>is there a decent retranslation patch out there?
Actually... no.
Even the official versions carry over stupid bullshit from the first translation (which was apparently done by japanese people with a loose handle on the english language).

The best compromise seems to be the DS version.
>>
The PSP complete collection version. Its almost exactly the same as the GBA version but has really nice updated graphics. It also has all the extra content from the GBA version.
>>
>>3062156
>All of the later 2D releases give you the ability to edit the party near the endgame so you aren't forced to use the orginal final 5.
Makes me think how 4 is a pussy version of 2, since it does the same schtick of killing off your new party members. But they all survive.
>>
>>3066952

What happens in the FFII remake post-game when you fight in hell or something
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23 KB, 480x472) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23 KB, 480x472
>>3066951
>really nice updated graphics
>>
>>3059821
It retains the fuck ugly mobile UI too. It would be perfect if the guy that made the UI replacement for the steam version of FFIII would make one for FFIV as well, but so far no luck.
>>
FF4DS I feel has the best localization. Not saying it's good just that it's better than the rest. The problem with most of the localizations is that they all seem to be based on the PSX version which while better than the SNES it's not that great.

Sadly FF4 seem to get the most remakes but each one seem to just look worse or play worse over time. PSX had major load times, GBA had massive bugs, PSP looks bad, DS has weird balancing issues around the half way point because of the switch of enemy formations.
>>
>>3068410
The PSP version has the best graphics by far, nigga. Only problem is that they still fucked the balance by not having the vancian magic.
>>
>>3068592
It figures that someone who bought and enjoyed the psp would use the word nigga so loosely, I'm assuming you're a white kid who listens to ganster rap and thinks he's tough shit when he's just a huge pussy, enjoy working at applebees for the rest of your life.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.