[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jesus christ, what went wrong with the audio? Did Capcom ha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
Jesus christ, what went wrong with the audio?

Did Capcom hand over the sound programming to the casual intern?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2yg5fQwEhI

It was perfectly fine in the non-Super version too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhlnrvrOII
>>
The megadrive version of CE was done by capcom and I think by the time super came out for Gen capcom was breaking its relationship with sega and might have gotten another company to do it.
>>
That's some pretty sweat cover art
>>
File: 1444205919471.jpg (31 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1444205919471.jpg
31 KB, 505x431
>>3059025
>capcom was breaking its relationship with sega
>proceeds to give massive support for the saturn and dreamcast

If anything they were STARTING their fruitful relationship with SEGA
>>
this is the version I grew up with so I never realized how much worse it is
>>
>>3059043
That was mostly with arcade ports and the simple reason for that was that the saturn had expandable ram which the playstation didn't. Also the port of SF3 through 3rd strike where bad.
>>
>>3059043

LOW
>>
>>3059069
All I'm arguing is that capcom wasn't breaking its relationship with sega
>>
Is the SNES port considered better even though the controller doesn't lend to the original play style like the Genesis controller does? Makes me wanna buy a Hori Super Commander
>>
>>3059665
It definitely looks and sounds a lot better. Capcom were so lazy with the Genesis version.

But I'm guessing it probably gets less slowdown like most Genesis ports do.
>>
File: hori+fighting_commander_sufami.png (436 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
hori+fighting_commander_sufami.png
436 KB, 800x600
>>3059665
Your mileage may vary. Both versions got so many things right but at the same time, met with weird decisions.

- Genesis version has slightly higher resolution, but because of the limited palette they opted to use very bright colors. SNES palette is somewhat closer to the arcade version;
- SNES version sounds a lot better, but inexplicably omits the announcer saying "Round 1, FIGHT!" and the music whenever the round ends. Genesis version has all announcer sounds and the music only stops at the end of the decisive round, like the arcade version;

- Hit/sound effects are pretty unique in the SNES version (doesn't sound like the arcade version at all), while Genesis versions brings them from the arcade, but the sample quality got so downgraded it lacks most of the oomph.

>> Makes me wanna buy a Hori Super Commander

Didn't you mean the Fighting Commander? Because the Super Commander has the same layout as the stock SNES controller
>>
>tfw SF2 on Genesis could have sounded arcade perfect but Capcom was too lazy for that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLyVmgXEiac

>>3059043
This 2bh, Capcom fucking loved the DC and Dreamcast. But yeah, their Genesis support was pretty bad.
>>
>>3059756
i meant saturn and DC
>>
>>3059069
>the simple reason for that was that the saturn had expandable ram which the playstation didn't.

Wrong. It was because the Saturn had a dedicated tilemap chip, which allowed them to port half the graphics of each arcade game 1:1 accurately with almost zero effort, while retaining all the visual special effects on them... and still have the same amount of memory for sprites.

On the Playstation, they had to completely re-code even something as simple as a linescroll effect, and every background graphic took away space from the sprite animations. The only time they got a high-tier CPS2 port done fine was SFA3, and there they went to such extremes as to change the animated hit sparks to procedurally generated polygonal animations.

The RAM expansion was just icing on the cake - and actually lead to lots of problems early on, caused some Saturn ports to get a lot more slowdown. Later on they figured out how to use it properly (basically use it as a 3rd string backup memory for stuff that needs to be loaded only once in a while, so the latency was not an issue).
>>
>>3059756
>tfw SF2 on Genesis could have sounded arcade perfect but Capcom was too lazy for that

Only if you overuse the DAC for sampled instruments. Which you should NOT, because then any time a character says something, it will cut out part of the background music.

Some speech-heavy games on the Genesis used FM only music for that reason... UMK3 and Dragon Ball Z come to mind.
>>
>>3058958
>Genesis
Gee, I wonder.
>>
>>3059768
Not really, SF2 divided the DAC on 4 channels, so the voices and drums don't interrupt (even in the arcade the drums/voices interrupt)

And both UMK3 and DBZ used sampled drums, i don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>3058958
Q-Sound SFX sucked to begin with.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.