[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shining Force 1 & 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: Shining Force Title.jpg (30 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
Shining Force Title.jpg
30 KB, 640x479
Hey there, /vr/. Anyone here ever play this gem or its direct sequel?
>>
yes I played both
>>
>>3058492

OP here. I'm currently replaying the second for my eight or ninth time. I've lost count.
>>
>>3058486
yeah, its a beautiful thing.
>>
finished both, 1 is the better game. 2 ain't bad but I can't wrap myself doing more playthoughs.
>>
>>3058501

OP here. Personally, I disagree. I think they're both quite good, but I liked the wider variety of weapons, classes, characters, and the ability to promote multiple ways (for example, Healers can be promoted to Vicars normally or to Master Monks with the Vigor Ball). SF2 also had a more involved plot and varied battles (like the river battle against the Kraken, and the battles while shrunk against the Chess army and the rat Willard). I also liked that in SF2, stats could go above 99.
>>
>>3058507
-random battles
-random crafting
-ALL CAPS NAMES
-generic ultimate sword
-Wile E Coyote antagonist fate
-suddently, sleeping beauty

1 has better, more involving story and telling, ending felt complete.
2 ending left me with a WAT, litteraly.

Start and quit screens are also way more comfy in 1.
>>
>>3058512

OP again.

You do realize that the Force Sword in 2 IS the Chaos Breaker from 1, right?

Also, the random battles are bound to one or two squares, so you can easily avoid or trigger them at your leisure, allowing you to grind easily without having to worry about saving MP for Egress or buying Angel Wings.

The all-caps names were annoying, true.

The random crafting was annoying, but certainly better than NO CRAFTING AT ALL..
>>
>>3058524
>You do realize that the Force Sword in 2 IS the Chaos Breaker from 1, right?
Says who. Similar looks, but nowhere is mentionned that it's the Chaos Breaker, since there is also a dark sword, and alt name is Holy sword.

that kind of crafting promotes saves scumming, so, no, I'd rather have no crafting at all.
Shinning in the Darkness crafting was fine.
>>
File: Sarah.jpg (106 KB, 319x617) Image search: [Google]
Sarah.jpg
106 KB, 319x617
>>3058512
>2 ending left me with a WAT, litteraly.

It left me fuming.

I want to elf
>>
>>3058486
I love Shining Force 2 but have never been able to truly get into 1 or 3.
>>
Recently replayed both 1 and 2, and although in my memory 2 was the better game, this time i enjoyed 1 more.
darker color palette, more dramatic music... also the story felt tighter by dividing it in chapters.
2 is still fantastic, though.
>>
>>3058486
There's a 3rd one on the Saturn too.
>>
SF series has some awesome tunes yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x1EHA4F1b8
>>
>>3058779

the other two parts have finally been translated too
>>
I've tried to make recent play throughs difficult and fun.
-no manually reviving characters
-no repeating battles (no egress)

This was a ton of fun with SF2.

With SF1, the AI is bad to nonexistant but it will do cheap double damage and extra turns. I think this type of playthough takes far too much grinding here.

>>3058512
SF2 improved the battle mechanics, but slipped on a couple things that made 1 great.
>>
File: may sf2.jpg (171 KB, 571x800) Image search: [Google]
may sf2.jpg
171 KB, 571x800
This game made me want to fuck horses.
>>
>tfw probably only one here who likes GBA remake of SF1 better than the original
>tfw like SF1 more than SF2

Wish I could have a chance to play SF3.
>>
I absolutely loved Shining Force back when it was the only SRPG I'd played, but now that I've played nearly everything in the genre I find it almost unplayable.
>>
I need to start SF2, but I'm intimidated by the class-change mechanics. Apparently characters can be promoted more than once. I'm not sure what the most optimum leveling / promoting strategy would be in that case.

>>3061987
>tfw probably only one here who likes GBA remake of SF1 better than the original

Yes you are. Let us never speak of that abomination again.
>>
>>3061995
It's more that certain characters can be promoted into one or the other and even then you need hidden items for it. The game is easy enough to not have to worry about min-maxing and optimizing.

Just don't neglect Slade. He's ridiculous once promoted.
>>
>>3058779
>>3059908
did anyone here play the translated SFIII?
I'm a bit hesitant cause it's still in beta. after circa 18 years of waiting i wouldn't mind a few spelling mistakes though.
>>
I have Shining Force: Sword of Hajya. I'm having trouble getting through it. Not sure if it's old look is off-putting or if it's just plain boring.
>>
>>3060897
There's quite a few rom difficulty hacks.
The ds version of sf1 has a built in difficulty increase bossing enemy stats every time you beat it. You can use the card character they added to quick run the game to get more wins and then just play with the enemies being much stronger. I'm currently on my 22nd run and its getting hard as fuck
>>
>>3062781
>I'm having trouble getting through it. Not sure if it's old look is off-putting or if it's just plain boring.

I enjoyed it, but the progression is pretty watered down compared to other SF games, namely since you don't even get to explore any area. It's just one battle right after another.

There's something like 20 battles and then the game is over. You can still use Egress to return to camp to rest and repeat battles for grinding though.
>>
>>3058486

Fav game, I wish more people would play the 3rd one. You deserve it.
>>
Are these games pretty good? I remember getting kinda far in the first one a while back, but never really sticking with it. A little bit easy.
>>
>>3062259
I've beaten it twice. It's pretty good.
>>
>>3061975
I'd take her for a ride. Ride her so hard I'd get saddle sore. No lewd.
>>
>>3058634
Try the GBA version.
>>
>>3061987
I like it. Probably a little bit more even.

>>3061995
What makes it an abomination? It plays pretty much the same way, it just has some extra (mostly optional) features, and touched up GFX & SFX
>>
>>3063935
I would rather die of dick cancer.
>>
>>3058486
>that ending epilogue in Shining Force
Feels, man
>>
>>3063935
>Try the GBA version.

Fuck no. Don't even bother with that abortive piece of garbage.
>>
>>3063938
>What makes it an abomination?

Technicolor Bright(tm) character redesigns that look like fucking palette blobs, shoehorned extra characters and content that don't fit in with the setting at all, and shit localization quality thanks to outsourcing it to Atlus.

Sega should have ported the original game and localization. The original assets would have fit with some tweaking to the battle BGs.
>>
>>3064210
I don't really think any of that is as bad as you say it is.
>>
>>3064654
>I don't really think any of that is as bad as you say it is.

Well, there's like your opinion, man. I owned the game too. It's shit.
>>
>>3062259
Played a few years back, best having experience of my life. Waited provably ten years to finish that trilogy.
I should replay it soon. How hard is it to get working on actual Saturn hardware?
>>
Ok, I picked up shining force 1 and plan to play it soon. What should I expect in terms of difficulty?
>>
>>3065250

difficulty zig zags from moderate-high to low at various points, although if you grind virtually all challenge goes away.
>>
>>3064951
You'll either have to mod, swap trick, or that one thing that changes an A/R cart.
>>
>>3065832
Tempted to buy a second Saturn to mod it. My soldering skills are adequate for it.
>>
It's a strat game where you get to control a dwarf Gamera, of course it's fucking good.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.