[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your favorite /vr/ shoot 'em ups?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16
File: Armed_police_batrider_arcade_jp.jpg (119 KB, 350x491) Image search: [Google]
Armed_police_batrider_arcade_jp.jpg
119 KB, 350x491
What are your favorite /vr/ shoot 'em ups?
>>
Anything without pedophilia please.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (26 KB, 256x257) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
26 KB, 256x257
Ikaruga
>>
I bought this Recca Summer Carnival game on my 3ds because I heard it was the best NES shmup, but I just don't get it. Is it just the graphics that made it popular?
>>
Gradius
Gradius II
Raiden
original DonPachi
Under Defeat (is this /vr/??)
>>
>>3058070
I don't find it enjoyable either, it's popular mainly it's pretty "manic" for a NES shooter, also because it was Yagawa's first game.

I'd recommend some Konami, and Compile for NES shooters.
>>
>>3058003
>this.

I hate waifu shmups. they're garbage
>>
>>3058084
Glad it's not just me, then. I feel like in general NES had better horizontal shooters than verts, though usually I prefer the latter. 1943 was pretty good, I guess.
>>
>>3058096
Normally I feel like I can te if a waifu shmup will be an actual good game or not, but I completely shit the bed on otomedius. I guess I figured with the general high quality of the Gradius and Parodius series that it couldn't go wrong.
>>
File: soldier.jpg (207 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
soldier.jpg
207 KB, 500x332
>>3058105
>otomedius
>>
>>3058105
>>3058110
Fucking Konami
>>
The ones by Toaplan, Raiden series, Areo Fighters/Sonic Wings series, In The Hunt, many by Psikyos(if that's how it's spelled?), and some by Capcom. Not a fan of Cave's, or bullet-hell type shooters in general. I would say that the ones by Toaplan and Psikyos come as close to that as I can enjoy.
>>
>>3058003
>batrider
>touhou is a pedo shmup

Hey pachi. Don't you have THICK vidya enemies to draw?
>>
>>3058216
Try some Raizing, they are a good middle term of classic and modern shooters.
>>
So are Out Zone and Fixeight shmups or are they vertical run'n guns?
>>
File: wings_of_wor_u__142.jpg (89 KB, 684x527) Image search: [Google]
wings_of_wor_u__142.jpg
89 KB, 684x527
Usually what I grew up with. I enjoy Wings of Wor, though other ones that I "recently" played I like as well such as Eliminate Down and Mars Matrix. Though I tend to gravitate towards horiztonal shoot 'em ups.
>>
>>3058430
The two things I use to differentiate shmups from like Ikari Warriors or Defender is Forced Scrolling and Single Direction for the player. Though you can have some exceptions as I mean Space Invaders and Galaxian are granddaddy shmups.
>>
File: R-Type3.gif (324 KB, 256x238) Image search: [Google]
R-Type3.gif
324 KB, 256x238
>>3057998
Nothing gets me as pumped for shmuppin' then Stage 1 of R-Type III.

Zooming out from the core of your R-90 Ragnarok is one of the greatest masterpieces of 2D spritework and programming ever.
>>
Anyone reccomend a good starting point for someone interested in the genre?
>>
File: file.png (102 KB, 266x190) Image search: [Google]
file.png
102 KB, 266x190
>>3058098
>NES had better horizontal shooters than verts

Quite ironic considering the NES' biggest weakness, sprite flicker, was most visible on horizontal shooters, and explains why so many of them are vertical shooters.
>>
>>3058516
Why is it that absolutely no one knows about the SECRET to round force that makes it the best force type in the game.

Only Japanese people know about it.
>>
>>3058516

Dude, you're going to love this.
http://akht.sakura.ne.jp/mp3/s_rt3_st1.mp3
>>
>>3058553
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSqf5STS9xQ

Actually...
>>
>>3057998
Armed Police Batrider is AMAZING!
>>
>>3058560

Flicker happens under two conditions: When more than 8 sprites are on the same line, or when there are more than 64 sprites on screen. Recca constantly pushes 64+sprites, which explains the flicker.
>>
>>3058554

You mean how DNA lasers become much stronger when you shoot point blank with the big starting rings? It's pretty necessary to get through the final stage, since your other weapons are rather ineffectual for that area.

Shadow is way better than any other force in the game btw. Them blue lasers are seriously over powered on that thing.
>>
File: Thunder Force III.jpg (2 MB, 3366x2100) Image search: [Google]
Thunder Force III.jpg
2 MB, 3366x2100
Thunder Force comin' through
>>
>>3058070
Recca is a very technically impressive game for the hardware. It's a decent game on its own merits but not the best on the console by any stretch.

>>3058084
Seconding compile and konami. If you include famicom the list of good games goes way up.
>>
>>3058550
Batsugun Special 1all s quite easy for verts standards.

For horis Gradius 1, Darius Gaiden extra or R-Type should be fine.
>>
>>3058592
I'm not totally sad I bought Recca, I mean, supporting shmups where you can is great. I'm just disappointed because I had much higher expectations and probably should've played a rom or something first. There's hardly any virtual console stuff that I've bought on the eshop that I haven't already played.

>>3058553
Yeah, it does seem weird, but when I think of fun NES/famicom shmups, they're all horis.

Clearly I need to go try a bunch of stuff I may have accidently skipped on or just missed on.
>>
>>3058589
How does thunder force 3 stack up against thunder spirits? Which is the better version of the game?
>>
>>3058654
Thunder Force III is better, much better performance. Thunder Spirits is actually a port of Thunder Force AC (TF3 arcade) which is a remix of TF2 and TF3.
>>
>>3058671
Ah and of course, if you like Thunder Spirits' extra content, just play Thunder Force AC.
>>
>>3058616
Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1409730456464.jpg (954 KB, 2100x1500) Image search: [Google]
1409730456464.jpg
954 KB, 2100x1500
All time favorites
Horizontal: Thunder Force IV

Vertical Battle Garegga

I like Pachi but the artstyle isn't my taste

Batsugun is amazing especially the Special version and easy for a bullet hell

Darius Gaiden, Raystom and Force, and Metal Black are Taito's best

Border Down is probably my favorite on the dreamcast

MUSHA, Hyper Duel, Air Zonk, Salamander, and Lord of Thunder are awesome !
also how do i even play Lords of thunder? I'm not sure how to get gud
>>
>>3058047
2001 Arcade games are not retro.

Only console games can be posted after the cutoff if their hardware is retro. Reported.
>>
>>3058574
Nope and nope.

It has to do with something else. Trust me. Type 1 is the best. Only Japanese players know about it though.
>>
>>3058730

It wouldn't happen to involve the hyper charge would it? Because this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvLqh4vSimU
Little technique I found for myself is far too situational to make round the strongest force in the game.
>>
Has anyone used any of the Dezaemon games to make a retro shmup of their own? I heard the NES one you can't actually save or load so it's useless, but what about the SNES one? Should I look into the PSX or Saturn one instead? I'd like to not do something super graphics intensive.

Alternatively, is there a PC program I could use instead?
>>
>>3058706
I am not too good at all at shmups but managed to 1CC Lords of Thunder on my very first try, felt good man. Are you using the sword too?
>>
>>3058789
I had no clue that it was even there to be honest, i'm still confused on the overall gameplay.
>>
>>3058706
>Lords of Thunder

That mermaid boss is a bitch. Especially on harder difficulties. I think that boss is the most (or ONLY) difficult part of the game. The best way to beat her is to just get close to her face and carve it up with your sword while trading damage.

>>3058756
Nope that's not it. Hehehe.
>>
it's not retro but nanostray 2 on DS is real good
>>
>>3057998
>What are your favorite /vr/ shoot 'em ups?
To many to mention, i'm loving strikers 1945 and psikyo in general atm though. One thing psikyo got so so right compared to almost everyone else is fucking pacing, they are always the perfect length and pace to not be put off by restarting runs.
>>
File: s1945a.png (2 MB, 1123x800) Image search: [Google]
s1945a.png
2 MB, 1123x800
And some fabulous promo art for good measure.
>>
File: project RS - graphics.png (250 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
project RS - graphics.png
250 KB, 1440x1080
>>3058783
I ended up choosing the SNES version just to try things out, and it's interesting to see what you can modify and what you can't. All of the menus are icon driven so there's zero japanese knowledge necessary, but there is a lot of trial and error.

Right now I'm mostly going through and replacing graphics and trying to figure out how stages are put together. And how to reduce the fuel gauge load since replacing the zako enemies with my own graphics is pushing it into the full territory.
>>
File: project RS - gameplay000.png (278 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
project RS - gameplay000.png
278 KB, 1440x1080
>>3059062
And here's an example of my graphics in play. The colors aren't all "correct" in that other screenshot just because of the palette switching. The first stage is all completely retextured with only medium and large explosions left and most of the larger enemies.
>>
>>3058098
>>3058553
>>3058631
crisis force is the best famicom shmup (after recca)
>>
File: project RS - editing.png (282 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
project RS - editing.png
282 KB, 1440x1080
Gonna have to take a break now. First stage is almost complete. Still need to do some graphics for the enemies and the boss, but I've figured out how the stages are put together. Haven't delved too much into the logic yet, but so far as I work through this the default ones are fine.

>>3059113
I saw that on a list just before starting this up, I'll have to give it a try for sure.
>>
File: 53035-G_Darius_(J)-1.jpg (62 KB, 300x329) Image search: [Google]
53035-G_Darius_(J)-1.jpg
62 KB, 300x329
>>
Doom and Metal Slug are my favrites i don't like the spaceship ones
>>
>>3057998
air zonk or parodius.
>>
>>3059113
>Recca is the best NES shmup
>literally slow-down: the game
>>
>>3059113
>>3061076
It's not a bad game, but saying it's the best on the NES is pushing it. Crisis force is better, gun nac is better, gradius 2 is better, S.C.A.T. is better, parodius is better. Recca is very impressive game but in terms of gameplay it isn't all that special next to other famicom shooters. People namedrop it just because it's so fast and manic and pushed the hardware as much as it did. That being said it's still a very enjoyable game and if you're getting a list of good NES shooters together it should definitely be on there, but it's not the best.
>>
>>3061076
SHIT NO I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY RECCA
I MEANT CRISIS FORCE

FUCK

no surprise that crisis force was advertising contra force in the Jap ver, as both games had HEAVY slowdown issues.
>>
>>3061112
Please do not insult NES-tan when she is trying her best
>>
>>3061248
It's not the console's fault, the games are simply not that well optimized. Probably because this is the end of the console's life, and the developers were just shoveling these games out.
>>
File: 61625SJ0AXL.jpg (76 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
61625SJ0AXL.jpg
76 KB, 500x448
Does this count?
>>
>>3061254
Sure its kinda a hybrid anyway. Psikyo really were such a consistent developer aside from sol divide i can't name a single turd from their studios.
>>
>>3057998
Thunder Force 4
Einhänder
M.U.S.H.A
Macross:Scrambled Valkyrie
Last Resort
Salamander
>>
>>3061463
Axelay
Thunder Force 3
>>
>>3058706
No love for Gates of Thunder?
>>
>>3058070
Try Crisis Force, it's beautiful.
>>
Going to have to meme it up hardcore and say Dodonpachi and Raiden Fighters.

Sorry, I like the games.
>>
>>3058715
you are so gay i hope you die
>>
File: 1427178396767.jpg (769 KB, 827x1169) Image search: [Google]
1427178396767.jpg
769 KB, 827x1169
>>3058867

WELL THEN what's the secret? No point in keeping it to yourself, it's not like scoring competition is big or anything!!
>>
>>3057998
Axelay and Super Aleste are fun. The Probotector games were also great, even though most Americans know it better as Contra.
>>
>>3061472
Not yet, i hear good things about it. I'm missing out on a lot of good shooters 2BH familia maybe during spring break I'll check out GoT, some Neo Geo shooters, the rest of Raizings games, and more toaplan.
>>
>>3061254
I hope so, it's my fav on the console
>>
>no MUSHA or Truxton
Shame on you, /vr/.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.