[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you guys buy it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10
File: Pokemon-Red-Blue-Yellow-3DS.jpg (83 KB, 1080x600) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-Red-Blue-Yellow-3DS.jpg
83 KB, 1080x600
Did you guys buy it?
>>
>>3057473
>eShop
>paying for emulation
>giving money to post-fifth gen Nintendo ever

lol, no
>>
Yeah. Difference between this and just playing my original cart is that now all my friends are playing version and are able to trade.

If it didn't have multiplayer, I wouldn't have bothered. I can play my original carts with no friends to link with any time I want.
>>
Yep, I can play with buddies all over.
>>
What I want to know is what method are they using to scale it to fullscreen?
>>
>>3057489
Bilinear filtering.

Hold start or select when you boot it up to launch it in 1:1 mode. It's much better.
>>
How much does it cost and what can you do with the files? Can you access that shop without a 3DS or similar?
What languages are included?
>>
>>3057492
I heard 1:1 has border art, is that true?
>>
I already have the rom on my psp so... no.
>>
Plan to, own all three carts from release, and if we are lucky enough interest shown in Gen 1 means we might get Gen 2.
>>
File: image.png (29 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
image.png
29 KB, 400x240
>>3057506
Yes, though unfortunately not the SGB border. It shows a generic Game Boy, pic related.

It's a little cute, though: the battery indicator actually gets dimmer as your 3DS battery dies.
>>
>>3057563
You mean you can't even enable the SGB palette the damn game was intended to be played with?
>>
>>3057473
can you play sgb with color on 3ds?
i played the sgb version with color on my psp four years ago? nintendo is a mess. they are always the last to the party
>>
I would if it were free.
>>
Installed it. Just like I will with Sun/Moon.
>>
>>3057473
I had it for 15 years.
>>
>>3057563
Does it have the same 3D effect as the GBC games do?
>>
>>3057563
>border art
>has nothing to do with Pokemon
>terrible imitation, does not achieve immersion
>STILL has black border
fuck this company
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2774) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2774
>>3057473
Nope. Downloaded them for free.
Also prefer Roms with all Pokemon obtainable within the game.
So I can actually catch them all.
>>
I'm thinking about it, though 10 bucks is a bit much for this kind of thing. I was thinking Yellow version for all 3 starters + the surfing pikachu mini-game I never got to play back in the day, but I mostly prefer the sprites in Red/Blue
>>
>>3057473
Yeah, 20 years ago. Why do you expect me to buy it again?
>>
>>3057651
>the surfing pikachu mini-game
I think you needed to connect to pokemon stadium for that. Idk if they changed it for this release.
>>
>>3057654
they did you can just walk in and get the mini game
>>
>>3057654
Bah, should have googled it first. A pikachu with surf isn't required anymore.
>>
>>3057654
>>3057665
>>3057662

Yeah, they made it so anyone can play it.

Then again, googling it, it just looks like Excitebike where you play as Pikachu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVSHhZA8NE

I'll probably go with Pokemon Blue
>>
>>3057473
If there where a physical release yes
>>
>>3057614
Yes, it does.

They just don't have it for DS games.
>>
I wish it was like this.

But, it was never the case for any of the other GB(C) games. Just for certain NES games and Sega games except for DC and GG.

I hear now that Nintendo is no longer interested in porting GB games onto the 3DS.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 400x504) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 400x504
>>3057702
You can read Japanese right?
>>
>>3057812
It is still Kana only?
>>
>>3057812
I know I'm completely retarded, but I would buy a 3DS for one of these
>>
I was excited for these virtual console releases. Then I saw they charged 10 dollars each and I flipped my 3DS the bird and said "fuck you" aloud.
>>
File: 1456535021402.gif (2 MB, 470x437) Image search: [Google]
1456535021402.gif
2 MB, 470x437
>>3057812
>Physical copies in Japan come with a download card, a cartridge-shaped magnet, manual, and a map
I know I shouldn't have expected any more, but what a disappointment.
>>
>>3057473
No, I own red/blue/yellow/gold/silver's original releases.
>>
What's IV/EV shit like in gen 1? Can I just raise some pokemon I like to level 100 and not have to worry about a bunch of meta bullshit to battle people online?
>>
>>3057645
How you do that? Guy with 2ds here.
>>
>>3057843
Seeing how it's a digital rerelease for a game released in 96, I'm fine with this
>>
>>3057912
His dad works for Nintendo

>2DS
Lol
>>
>>3057917
Your post doesn't even make sense.
>>
How dare you support this company's rereleases after six hundred and seventy one 20 year old ports. You really all should be shot with bean bags.
>>
>>3058001
So you didn't buy the rom then?
>>
>>3057497
What kind of dumb questions are these? These are released for 3DS. So of course you need a 3DS to buy, download, and play them. I take it you don't even have a 3DS if you're asking these questions.

The language question is legitimate, though. You have to choose your language when you go to buy them (since they are considered separate games). North America has English, Spanish, and French, while Europe has all of the above plus German and Italian.

The non-English versions were originally only released in Europe, so this is actually the first time the original Pokemon games are being released in Spanish and French in North America.

>>3057776
Wow, it looks horrible.

>>3057826
Yes.

>>3057862
>battle people online
You can't.

>>3057912
Homebrew emulator, likely GameYob.
>>
>>3058170

>>battle people online
>You can't.

Wasn't that the whole hype? Being able to battle and trade online?
>>
>>3057862
There's like fucking 6,500 EVs per stat, and they're assigned based on the stats of the Pokemon you battle. It's basically impossible to actually EV train in Gen I unless you're like a card-couting savant or something. I'm just having fun with it and playing it how I used to. Except now I have a Mew (all the glitches work).
>>
>>3058175
The hype was that you can trade/battle at all via local wi-fi, that and future pokemon bank support.
>>
>>3058170
>Wow, it looks horrible.

I don't want to make it look exactly like that. That was just an example of the idea.
>>
File: why.gif (2 MB, 385x325) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
2 MB, 385x325
>>3058193

>local wi-fi

What the fuuuuuuuck. What's even the point then?
>>
>>3057481
are you implying n64 was good?
>>
>>3058210
Like, if u have friends you want to trade with that live near you, you can do so. As opposed to not being able to trade at all and making the games unbeatable. I imagine there's some way to tunnel the traffic or something...
>>
File: NO NO NO.gif (472 KB, 508x270) Image search: [Google]
NO NO NO.gif
472 KB, 508x270
>>3058225

>As opposed to not being able to trade at all and making the games unbeatable.

But I could already do that with my gamelink cable in the original release. The only thing that would have made the re-release matter to me would be the ability to trade and battle online, a feature not already in the original game.

I thought that was THE WHOLE POINT. WHAT ARE YOU DOING NINTENDO?
>>
Of course not.
>>
>>3058210
I imagine it was too difficult for Nintendo to make it work online.
Y'know, that simple thing that all kinds of other emulators managed to do without a problem.
>>
I assume it isn't possible to get Mew and trade it up to new gens this way, right?
>>
>>3058242
Since the Pokemon bank integration hasn't been 'turned on' yet there's no way to tell unfortunately. The Mew itself is totally legit by gen 1 standards, but they could very well block it.
>>
>>3057473
Yes I bought it, 20 fucking years ago. Like others have said, if it had online trading, MAYBE my stupid nostalgia would take over, but not like this.
>>
>>3058253
Seems like they would block it. That's too many legit Mews getting flung around.
>>
>>3058239
It's more to do with the fact that because of the way the games are coded, trading with a game that has a foreign character set will fuck up both saves. I figure they decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle of setting up online and having people complaining about their saves being nuked because a Japanese kid traded them something.
>>
>>3058269

Just keeping the regions separate would have solved that
>>
>>3057919
What's funny about the 2DS?

>>3057842
I would have gone with 5usd but it's a pretty tiny price eitherway.

It sure as hell didn't retail for 10usd when it came out.
>>
>>3057473
I got that 20th anniversary n3DS so Red and Blue came with the bundle. It's pretty neat that I'll be able to eventually transfer pokemon into Bank and then to Sun and Moon.

I probably would not have gotten the digital versions otherwise. I have a physical copy of Yellow from when I was 5.

>>3058253
They might or might not. They can't block Japanese Mews because they actually have a legit way to get Mew that came with the anniversary handhelds in the form of a voucher. Unless they filter by region, but I don't think they'll go through the trouble. Especially if later down the line, NA gets a similar Mew event for gen 1 again. We just got a Mew event though, so it makes me wonder, why even bother?
>>
>>3058332
2DS is god-tier, I just replaced mine with a New 3DS, but only because I basically played it to death.
>>
>>3058001
How is a 1996 videogame not retro you fucking wanker?

>>3058336
I wouldn't call it god-tier but it's a functional piece of gear.

How's the transition to 3DS treating you, liking the better feeling buttons and the folding?
>>
>>3058339
I still hate the folding, but the screen wobble on the regular size N3DS is way better than my old XL (which I sold and got a 2DS instead). The buttons are way, way better though, and the D-Pad makes me wonder how I used the 2DS one for so long. Oh also, I can use the 3D without getting headaches now, which is actually pretty sweet.
>>
does anyone know if charizard can learn fly on this one?
>>
>>3058332

>It sure as hell didn't retail for 10usd when it came out.

Should it be $39.99 then?
>>
>>3058453
I think you misread their conversation.
>>
>>3058332
Yeah but considering that all the other GB games on the virtual console are 3 to 6 dollars, suddenly charging $10 for one is robbery for no other reason than it's pokemon so they think they can get away with it.
>>
>>3058474
The wireless trading and battling probably had something to do with it.

Idk, it still feels like too much. I'd pay that much for Crystal but not gen 1.
>>
>buy
>>
Jfc, people being sad about paying $10 for a fucking game. This is pathetic, I'd $10 is that big of a deal to you then you have fucked up in your life bad. It's pretty nice having the game on your 3ds just to play a bit here and there along with its library.
Fucking complaining about $10 though, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>3057645
>i'm autistic and have no friends
>>
>>3058540

I don't mind paying $10 for a game, just not for a ROM of a gameboy game I played 20 years ago with no new features
>>
File: pogeymans.png (95 KB, 1885x1500) Image search: [Google]
pogeymans.png
95 KB, 1885x1500
>>
Man, all these people who don't know anything about Virtual Console releases.

Not a single GameBoy/Color VC release has support for extra features. For GameBoy, that means there's no Super GameBoy or GBC support, nor any GBA support for the few GBC games that had them, and no games have multiplayer functions via Game Link Cable.
Why? Likely because Nintendo's always been striven to preserve games in their original format for VC releases. Stuff like SGB support are unnecessary bonuses. So, games like Donkey Kong which were basically built from the ground up for use with Super GameBoy are stuck in B&W, games that had special palettes programmed into the GameBoy Color, or had special GameBoy Color support programmed into the game remain stuck on the GameBoy emulator, and games that had special features on GBA remain on GBC.

Pokemon is, ironically, an exception. Nintendo finally got off their butts and built Game Link Cable emulation into the emulator, and thought that was enough to raise the prices of the games, but still decided "fuck it" to implementing anything else.
>>
>>3057473
I still own an original Yellow cart, so it seems like a bit of a waste for me. If I didn't have it anymore I'd probably grab the digital copy.
>>
>>3058269
The games can't trade with other regions in the first place, they're region locked. And Nintendo could easily just set up online region restrictions.
>>
>>3057939
He's saying they didn't have to even give that much of a shit
>>
Why don't people play Red++ instead?
>>
>>3058757
the fuck is that
>>
>>3058757
It's difficult to understand why people prefer to pay ten bucks for an 1MB rom of a game they've already paid full price for (and likely still physically own).

Honestly, there are free alternatives that work better in every way. There are romhacks that fix every issue with the older games which are available for free - the makers of these hacks put in more effort to fix these games than GF ever will.
>>
File: 489498.png (37 KB, 768x586) Image search: [Google]
489498.png
37 KB, 768x586
Are there really people in this thread saying the 2DS is superior to the 3DS?
>>
>>3057473
don't need to, still have yellow

heck I still have the link cable.
>>
I wasn't going to but the novelty of sending a pokemon into the new ones took over. I still feel like an idiot, I could've bought a few tasty burgers with that.
>>
>>3058474
Yeah, I agree that it's more than what they usually charge, but 10 dollars isn't a tall barrier for anyone who wants a videogame
>>
>>3059067
Only poor people. just ignore the filthy beggars.
>>
>>3057812
Got mine last week. Green version.

Good shit.
>>
>>3057843
>>3057812
>NoA couldn't be assed to give us something like that with the English releases
>Not even a special download code card by itself
Why is this allowed
>>
no, nobody i know will get it so whats the point when i can play my og cartridges
>>
>>3060514
The special download code that the JP version got was Mew and a theme related to the version you got. Plus stickers, maps, and guides.

Sadly you can't download the Mew, unless you have the JP version of AS/OR.
>>
>>3059067
Are there really people in this thread implying that it matters?
>>
Considering it, so that I can use the entirety of Kanto as a giant-ass memory palace.
>>
HELL YEAH!
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.