[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are you not stocking up on sealed and rare videogames, when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 17
File: $_35.jpg (18 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
18 KB, 225x300
Why are you not stocking up on sealed and rare videogames, when they will be worth millions. think of it. by the end of this century people who own mint condition sealed games will be incredibly rare.
>>
Because I can't play it behind that seal. I collect for fun and nostalgia, not for profit.
>>
Good luck with that, kid.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 600x800
Someday that Coleco Chameleon "prototype" will be worth billions.
>>
>>3057423
All sealed games i buy, yes even retro, i unwrap and play. also put it in my collection and never give away
>>
For one, that shit has a limited shelf life, it's gonna rot and decompose one day. Secondly, you might find that in the future people will give way less of a fuck about old games than they do now. Hardly anyone really, really, cares about them.

Retro gaming is a meme for half-normies.
>>
File: 1457305489482.jpg (41 KB, 449x600) Image search: [Google]
1457305489482.jpg
41 KB, 449x600
>>3057423
By the end of the century, all the people nostalgic for this stuff will be dead and the value will plummet.
>>
>>3057457
It is not about nostalgia, they are pieces of videogame history. In 500 years people will wonder what were the first videogames ever made and BOOM, you got a $500 million copy of Mario 3
>>
File: speculatorsarethisdumb.jpg (285 KB, 543x556) Image search: [Google]
speculatorsarethisdumb.jpg
285 KB, 543x556
>>3057423
>slap shit in a box and it'll be worth $1000s!!!

Kids will never learn.
>>3057451
>>3057457
Games are going to be around for at least another 50 years in playing condition. The actual cartridges and artwork will be around for much longer.

I mean Atari 2600s are still going strong and usually can be repaired.
>>
>selling

Bury me with my videogames.
>>
I get the feeling that some of the newbie "investor" types think that old games don't have a price ceiling or have the misconception that interest in them will only continue to grow. We're in the midst of a fad and if you are buying R@RE games now hoping to make huge returns, you're a fucking idiot. Your precious Little Samson is never going to sell for $50,000. Sit on it for too long and you'll be scrambling to break even. Just look at what is happening with Stadium Events.
>>
>>3057423
Because i am not a lolwly piece of shit.
>>
>>3057484
You're sorta right and wrong. I really doubt these games will ever go back down to their original pre 2012 levels. I doubt they'll go down much at all. It'll take a mass sell off event.

People buying this games as investments are retarded. I'm serious. You MAY makes a decent percentage profit but does it matter? You'll be sitting on that game for well over a year if you bought it at the current prices. And for what? Less than $100 in profit most likely. It's not like you can go and buy a 100 of these games either an expect to make $100 off each.
>>
>>3057462
>. In 500 years people will wonder what were the first videogames ever made and BOOM, you got a $500 million copy of Mario 3
Except in 500 years I'll be dead, genius.
>>
>>3057494
Stadium Events was selling for around 10k last year, now it is going for around 7k. Will overall prices ever plummet? Maybe not, but I'd say we are definitely at a point where you are running a high risk of losing money as the relatively small market who is willing to pay huge amounts for certain old games either get what they want or get bored and leave the market in favor of other pursuits.
>>
>>3057509
Stadium Events isn't a good example because only completionist collectors want it.

I've been finishing my collection off and of course that means I'm paying a lot for a few games. Most of these really pricey games I bought have been from old collectors just selling off. Not resllers. I doubt the expensive games will go down much. It doesn't matter too much to me. I had my collection for years and wont be selling off unless I have to.
>>
>keep game in plastic box for 40 years
>try playing it
>ROM got corrupted
ayy
>>
>>3057509
>>3057515
I have Stadium Events, NTSC version. Mint. How much you guys think it will net me in about 20 years?
>>
>>3057586
You're trolling but it can go either way. It's a trash game that nobody but someone wanting a complete retail NES collection wants.

The price of that game relies solely on how long it remains cool to have a complete collection. Looking at other collectors markets like pre war toys for example. Random shitty toys generally aren't worth a damn. But random shitty toys made by a big name can be worth a lot sometimes.
>>
>>3057595
>You're trolling
Actually, I'm not. Think the game will ever be worth over $20k? I don't have the box or booklet; just the cart. But the cart is mint.
>>
>>3057602
Why would it?

Also the people who sold those Stadium events on ebay paid over $1000 in fees.
>>
>>3057608
>Why would it?
Because the price for retro games are growing by leaps and bounds. Games that used to cost $100 now cost over $300.
>>
>>3057620
A lot of games haven't moved at all or even went down. Few games are going up by any decent amount.

Garbage like action 52 has gone down. It's about almost under $200 from a high of over $300 last year.

Stadium Events being garbage doesn't have much demand for it.
>>
>>3057624
I think it's the old "supply and demand." You're right about Stadium Events not being a popular game. I notice it's titles like Guardian Heroes, or EarthBound, that are sought after. Because of their fanbase.

Fair enough. I appreciate your input, anon.
>>
People who do that are participating in a pyramid scheme type mentality, disrupting everything for people who want to legit play/collect the games and deserve everything they get when the bubble bursts.

>_>
<_<
ok I'm in, what's our strategy?!
>>
>>3057630
Those are the games to watch out for. Anything uncommon to rare that is actually a decent game. Especially anything that has a cult following.

The example you should had used was Little Samson. That is now a $1200 game.

As for stadium events. Like I said. It'll be valuable as long as it's cool to have a complete collection. One thing I'll add is sellable too. 10 years from now if NES collecting dies down then ya a game like Stadium isn't going to be worthless but good luck trying to sell it.
>>
>>3057634
>Anything uncommon to rare that is actually a decent game.
If my Flintstones, Bubble Bobble 2, and Duck Tales 2 carts end up out-selling my copy of Stadium Events, won't that be a bitch.

And I can't believe Little Samson is over a grand, now.
>>
>>3057639
>If my Flintstones, Bubble Bobble 2, and Duck Tales 2 carts end up out-selling my copy of Stadium Events, won't that be a bitch.

I'm not saying that's going to happen but I wouldn't be surprised if a game like Little Samson does.
>>
>>3057641
>Little Samson
Speaking of, that's a really fun game. Ever play it? I always thought it was one of the better NES platformers.
>>
>>3057643
Nope. I stick more to the later gens.

Does look cool. Probably emulate it some day.
>>
>when they will be worth millions
yeah, and so will baseball cards and comic books
>>
>>3057602
If you just have the cart it isn't mint
>>
>>3057423
That's nice, Bob.
>>
My feeling is, if you ask the questions:

1. do many people think it is going to be valuable?

2. has it been touted as something with high gain potential or otherwise been widely exposed as a collector's item?

3. is it still available to most interested buyers, both in terms of basic availability and price?

4. is it trendy?

...and you can answer "yes" to all four, then you are engaging in a risky collectible market in terms of making a return on your "investment." You're already late to the party in terms of buying low and everyone else dreaming of easy riches (likely because the internet and/or TV told them about it) is already raping the market.
>>
>>3057484
Rule of Rose went from 100 to 400 CAD in the past 2 years.

There absolutely will be a price ceiling for most things, but there will always be things that people pay out the ass for because they need that cred.

Stuff like NWC and Stadium Events will remain holy grail items, only for the most diehard fanatics and saudi oil princes.
>>
File: 1444761779996.png (879 KB, 691x723) Image search: [Google]
1444761779996.png
879 KB, 691x723
Old games like that would have a much smaller niche than they do today fifty years from now. Due to graphical limitations, audio, what is now deemed as archaic mechanics, and the more straight forward game mechanics probably won't appeal to many people in the future due to what they have access to and what they expect from video games as a medium.

I mean how many silent films or even black and white movies do you watch a year?
>>
>>3057874
How is PS2 garbage like Rule of Rose giving you cred? It's just speculator shit.
>>
>>3057423
If everybody's hanging on to their games to sell later the value simply plummets. Same thing happened with comics, a few old comics became worth a ton, people started saving all their comics in mint condition, years later those comics are worth double digits at best because there are so many left.

>>3057462

In 500 years people will have every video game of the 20th century and beyond available to download and play on a whim, they won't need physical copies.
>>
>>3057884
Video games, at least retro ones, aren't movies.
>>
File: IMG_20160304_103039.jpg (44 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160304_103039.jpg
44 KB, 480x360
Krikzz has single handedly helped defeat reseller scum with his flashcarts. It wont take long until normies post HUURR TREATED MY SELF TO AN EVERDRIVE posts make the front page regularly. Consoles will likely be driven up in price but this stupid ass fucking valuation of shit not rare items like duck hunt will disolve.

Mfw
>>
>>3057885
It's not PS2 games.

Look at the fucking prices of Mega Man. It's skyrocketing. Anything even remotely popular is getting ridiculous. Wouldn't surprise me if Mario Bros 1/2/3 sell for 60 each at some point.
>>
>>3057884
I seriously cannot answer you when you put a drawn image with your post. However I disagree.
>>
>>3057896

What I find funny is, at least with Mario games, there are literally several millions of copies.
>>
>>3057898
you take 4chan too seriously, also you just did
>>
File: IMG_0014.jpg (162 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0014.jpg
162 KB, 1024x768
>>3057423
You know it, OP! I got this here sealed copy of WCW Backstage Assault. I just know it'll make me a mint. I bet one day it might be worth 10 whole dollars!
>>
>>3057892
Yet you can see a lot of advancement in both mediums when it comes to the tools they use to how they approach cinematography or game mechanics. Hell I am not even interested in playing Atari console games. I am interested in the arcade games at the time but arcades were of course more powerful than what a home console could be thus they had sort of games that I at least expect would appeal to me such as Satan's Hallow or Robotron 2084. Hell you can deduce this just by seeing how scarce the threads are for consoles pre-NES. Sure there are threads about them but nowhere near the quantity of any console from the NES and onward.

To say that older video games aren't like older movies when it comes to how they grew and what people today consume cannot be related to one another is silly.
>>
>>3057927
Your post is "I hate old shit so should you".

Well good for you, asshole.
>>
File: Stadium Events.jpg (65 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Stadium Events.jpg
65 KB, 640x427
>>3057874
>Stuff like NWC and Stadium Events will remain holy grail items, only for the most diehard fanatics and saudi oil princes.
And I'm waiting for my prince to come! Marry me, baby! And you can have ALL the NES games.

>>3057884
Ritsu for the win.

>>3057595
>You're trolling
Pic related.
>>
>>3057950
It's an odd thing to lie about so I'm inclined to believe you but a blurry potato pick of one of the most reproduced NES games isn't saying a whole lot.
>>
>>3057927
I imagine that some of it could also be a generational thing. People who grew up with the 2600 and the like are generally going to be older than the late 20s/early 30s crowd who primarily grew up with NES/SNES/Genesis. Older gamers are more likely to have moved on or at the very least aren't as likely to be actively contributing to communities populated by youths, meaning that their fond childhood gaming memories aren't as likely to brush off on teens/people in their very early 20s. I wouldn't be surprised if in another 10 years or so the NES starts to bleed into Atari 2600 territory.
>>
>>3057972
>blurry potato pick
It's not blurry to the point you cannot tell what game it is. But yeah, I could see why someone would want further proof should they choose to buy it. I certainly would.
>>
>>3057972
I'm sure there are some people on here with rare and valuable games, so I doubt he's lying. I have shit rarer than SE, though nothing as valuable.
>>
>>3057992
I actually didn't buy Stadium Events with plans to someday resell it. My dream was to own every NES cart. But that's a dream I no longer have. I much rather have a smaller collection of games that mean something to "me," instead of rare trophy games.
I'm jealous of the kids who own Guardian Heroes, Final Fantasy VI in the box, etc., because at least they own games they love to play.

You own rarer stuff than SE? Like what?
>>
>>3057992
Of course there are. I don't have anything in the range of Stadium events but I got most the big dollar Saturn games far as the US library goes. Thinking about getting into the jap games also maybe.
>>
>>3058004

A few dozen prototype carts and discs. None of them are worth anywhere near the ~$7k that SE is apparently worth now, but as you said I don't buy my stuff for the monetary value or for the investment potential or any of that nonsense.
>>
>>3058018
>A few dozen prototype carts and discs
Name some of your favorites you own?
>>
File: 123.png (829 KB, 945x767) Image search: [Google]
123.png
829 KB, 945x767
>>3058025
A Week of Garfield is probably one of my favorites. I was rather amused by the existence of a Japan-only Garfield Famicom game so it is neat to have a cart that was used in development. The cart even had the latches sanded down to make it easy to open and close.
>>
>>3058004
Why don't you sell it?

It seems way too risky to hang on to. It seems way more worthwhile to get it now when things are super popular.

It won't ever become worthless, but it could easily drop in value/interest in the next few years.

How much did you pay anyways?
>>
>>3057423
>by the end of this century
I don't expect to live that long, if I do I have every intention of killing myself.
>>
>>3058049
What made you want Week of Garfield? Are you a big fan of the cartoon? Just curious, how much you pay for it?

Also, can't read Japanese, so I don't know what some of those other games even are.

>>3058051
>Why don't you sell it? It seems way too risky to hang on to. It seems way more worthwhile to get it now when things are super popular.

Yeah... but... I bought it with the intent of owning every NES game, so it's not like I bought it to make a big profit. So unless I could reap a huge profit, I wouldn't be interested in selling it, anyways.
Should the game suddenly net me a ton of cash, then certainly. But if it's only gonna get me a couple thousand more than I spent for it, I rather just keep it. It's not like I'll lose money with it; I'm sure it will always be worth at least the amount I gave for it. Which was $4,000.
>>
>>3058069
>Yeah... but... I bought it with the intent of owning every NES game
Guy you were originally talking a to.

That game is like 1/2 the cost of a complete NES collection. May as well finish it.

Depending on how much money you have in the game I don't think you'll lose money just holding on it but I just don't see a game like that holding its current value.

Youtuber opinion but I do agree with Pat that Stadium Events represents the game of speculators. It's only value being rarity and it's only demand being people that want a complete collection.
>>
>>3058081
Meanwhile Pat advertises his complete NES collection without it constantly.
>>
File: garfield.jpg (65 KB, 694x426) Image search: [Google]
garfield.jpg
65 KB, 694x426
>>3058069
I was a fan of Garfield and Friends when I was a kid (I was never much into the comics), but as for the game, I have been amused by its very existence since I found out about it in the early-ish 2000s or so. I got it a few years ago for around $150-$170 I think.

There is another prototype of it online (pic related), though it is different from the one I have.
>>
>>3058087
Yes and when that collection includes two games each worth more than double what Stadium Events is that kinda carries some weight.
>>
>>3058081
>It's only value being rarity and it's only demand being people that want a complete collection.
I definitely agree with that. It's definitely the reason I bought it. Someone who wants to own a few rare games from there childhood is one thing. But someone willing to buy every NES game could be a rich collector willing to shell-out some major cash.

>That game is like 1/2 the cost of a complete NES collection. May as well finish it.
My heart's not in it, anymore. And actually, I wouldnt go that far to say it's 1/2 the price of the full collection. Little Samson, Snow Bros, Panic Restaurant, etc. are going for a big sum of money, now.

>I just don't see a game like that holding its current value.
What makes you say that?
>>
>>3058101
Many and if not all the shit games that relied heavily on their rarity for market prices have gone down in value while the good rare games have gone up. I was explaining that before with games like Action 52 and Little Samson.

I do understand that Stadium Events is completely comparable to stuff like that. But it is a good indicator of what the market is doing..
>>
>>3058109
>Many and if not all the shit games that relied heavily on their rarity for market prices have gone down in value while the good rare games have gone up.
I remember when Stadium Events was about a grand. Then it was worth 4 grand. And now it's worth over 7 grand. It's a shit game, but it's value has only gone up.

No offense, I just don't see what you mean. What an example of a shitty rare game that lost its value?
>>
>>3058109
*isn't completely comparable
>>
>>3057937
>Your post is "I hate old shit so should you".
No, what it is pointing out is that when we grew up with such games they were the peak of technology at the time since they were what we had access to. As time moves forward technology gets better and certain standards become the norm. When new people come into video games they will probably have access to what is readily available which would be modern games. With that they will now have certain perceptions and standards on what video games they will play due to this.

As time moves on there will be less people that were actually alive during the time when those video games were made and it will get to the point in which no one alive was actually alive when those video games were made. So there will be a niche, much smaller than now, that will like these classics, but to the general person they won't mean anything. Just like black and white films and especially silent ones at that.

Who knows what will happen to 6th generation in another five years.

>>3057981
Exactly. I grew up with the Genesis when it was new, hell my first game was the first Sonic game when it initially came out. Unless people grew up with these games chances are they won't be as inclined to play them over modern ones due to their set perceptions of video games on their experience with games from the 7th generation and onward. I don't really bother with having my cousin play video games I grew up with since it doesn't seem like he enjoys them too much unless they are cooperative like Gunstar Heroes or Streets of Rage. He just isn't use to harsh punishments like going far back onto a check point after death or going straight to the title screen upon a game over.
>>
>>3058116
Action 52 like I said.
Wayne's World

I don't know of a single shit game that has gone up much recently. For retro stuff. There's been like 2 or 3 PS2 and XBox games going nuts lately.
>>
>>3058116
For whatever it is worth, within the past year SE was up to being a $10,000 game, now it has fallen back into the $7,000 range.
>>
>>3058123
>Action 52
>Wayne's World
Oh, come on. You know Action 52 is one of the best games ever made. And Wayne's World rivals Super Mario in terms of brilliant stage design.

>>3058123
>like I said
Sorry, I have trouble following all these anon posts. I might have that PS2 game you speak of. Is it Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, by any chance?

You seem to follow game prices. You a collector, as well? If you are, and already stated so in this thread, just ignore me.
>>
>>3058069
(oh, the other games shown there are Great Battle Cyber, Rockman X2, Time Zone, Galg, DragonBall Z Goku Gekitouden, and Magic: The Gathering Battlemage)
>>
>>3058125
>For whatever it is worth
That's the problem with these old retro games. Who knows how much any of them are actually worth. It's all about what people are willing to pay. Someone posts Stadium Events on Ebay for 10 grand. They can't sell it, so they drop it down to 7 grand. It's all about how much the game means to the buyer. If I meet a rich Saudi prince, who is willing to net me some major bank, then so be it. But if not, I'll hang onto my copy of Stadium Events and keep it for a family airloom.
>>
>>3058121
>No, what it is pointing out is that when we grew up with such games they were the peak of technology at the time since they were what we had access to.
I was born when the most technologically advanced games were arcade games.

Consoles were cool but we all knew they were gimped. I still love them.

I see posts like yours everyday across multiple sites. It's great that you're a younger person that loves retro games. I do hope you can give other games that aren't just NES and SNES a shot too. But please stop posting like everything about retro games is limited to consoles. It really wasn't. You said too that you like the arcade games of the Atari 2600 era. I fully understand why you think like that growing up with PS2 or later most likely.

Most Atari 2600 games are shit. That’s how it’s been since they were new. Still good ones. And I’m just as much to blame. I don’t play them much either. They came out before I was born. I still found some time to play bunch of them.

The game/movie comparison isn’t very good. Whatever replaces the cellphone 100 years from now will have a game of Solitaire and Tetris in it.
>>
File: Rockman X2.png (175 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Rockman X2.png
175 KB, 640x480
>>3058134
>Rockman X2
Sweet! Are there any differences between the prototype cart and the released-to-market Super NES game?
>>
>>3058126
>You seem to follow game prices. You a collector, as well? If you are, and already stated so in this thread, just ignore me.
Yes, but I stick mainly to 5th gen. That generation is just starting to get its own insanely priced games. So I follow prices pretty closely. I sold my NES and SNES collection off last year. Not complete. Just games I like which included some rare stuff like Pocky and Rocky.

The 5th generation is my favorite. It’s what I like the best.
>>
File: Holy Grail.jpg (37 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Holy Grail.jpg
37 KB, 600x450
What would be your holy grail?

The one video game, game-related collectible, etc. that you would love to own the most?
>>
>>3058136
Yeah, it is also hard to determine the market size and the types of collectors within that market. The people who were willing to pay $10k for SE got their game for $10k and are no longer in the market. They could very well be the only people in the game-buying world willing to pay that much and it could be years (or never) until someone else willing to pay that much comes along. Or not. It is hard to say.
>>
>>3058147
>I stick mainly to 5th gen.
I don't even know what the rare games from the 5th generation are. You must be talking about Sega Saturn games?
>>
>>3058150
Agreed. Another problem is most people who want an entire set of NES games are probably nostalgic for the console. So once the generation of NES gamers die out, will there still be anyone around interested in owning all the NES carts? I come from the NES era. Owning every Atari 2600 game doesn't interest me at all.
>>
>>3058143
Yeah, there are a number of changes throughout (some graphical differences, audio is incomplete, different enemy placement, etc) and the game ends after clearing the 8 Irregulars with a COMING SOON screen. No clue what the cart was used for or the date, but it was probably used at a convention, for press preview, or for in-store demonstration of some sort.
>>
>>3058153
Ya Saturn is where most the rare and valuable games are. And luckily I got what I want minus Magic Knight Rayearth. I’m not rich but I got a fairly healthy budget to put towards retro games each year. I started seriously collecting in 2008. I kept putting off some of the pricy games just thinking they’d go down. That was a mistake. 2014 is when I started paying well over $100 for certain games finally realizing these prices aren’t going anywhere.
It’s not limited to Saturn. Stuff like Tron Bonne on PlayStation which I think will hit $400 soon for whatever reason… One of the last very expensive games I’m interested in. There’s a bunch of games hovering around the $100 mark for PlayStation which I’m not naming that I’ll be surprised if they’re not $300+ games in a few years.

N64 doesn’t have much that’s all that valuable far as retail goes. Excluding full retard “not for resale” shit. Only game I see maybe going up is Conker’s but I don’t think it’ll break $200.

But I’m not in it to make money. I’m just interested in what the market does. And there’s still a few games I need before I’m done. Unless I go crazy and decide on going for complete collections.
>>
>>3058163
>Tron Bonne on PlayStation which I think will hit $400
Holy shit! I was a huge fan of Mega Man Legends back in the day. (Still a top 10 favorite of mine.) But I never imagined it would have a spin-off game worth more than EarthBound and company. Are you interested in owning the game because you're a collector? Or because you actually like the game?

For PSone, I have... Tail of the Sun, Saga Frontier, Persona 2,... any of those worth much?

>>3058160
>the game ends after clearing the 8 Irregulars
Such a tease! But as a loyal Mega Man fan, I'd love to see and play that cart.
>>
>>3058173
I played Legends 1 and 2 when they were new. Like them a lot. Never played Tron Bonne. I collect games I like or missed out on.

>Tail of the Sun, Saga Frontier, Persona 2
The funny thing with PlayStation and RPGs is most aren't worth that much. I assume just because of large print runs.

I love RPGs but I'm pretty picky about the ones I like.
>>
File: Mega Man Legends.jpg (122 KB, 985x615) Image search: [Google]
Mega Man Legends.jpg
122 KB, 985x615
>>3058178
>Legends 1 and 2
There's a fucking thread someone should make--the Mega Man Legends games for the PSone. We can't be the only ones nostalgic for them.

The final boss was so damn hard.
>>
>>3058173
The funny thing is I bet there is more in the game beyon what it let's you play. There are debug controls to skip around within levels and, given where you face Sigma, you can actually fight him if you skip in Hyakulegger's stage. Pretty much the same fight from what I recall though his wifeframe/virus form is a bit different looking, I think.

Unfortunately, these Cx4 games are hard to dump.
>>
>>3058187
I never beat either which I know is terrible. I'm working on it.

They pop up with threads every now and then. Haven't seen a thread in awhile though.
>>
>>3058187
Was the final boss of legends 1 really that hard? It didn't take me too long to beat him, granted I only played it a couple months ago rather than as a kid. Back then I got stuck at the part where you're supposed to take the boat, and I never would have figured it out recently either if I didn't look it up. That shit seriously made no sense.

And I'm only halfway through it, but legends 2 isn't nearly as good as the first so far.
>>
File: J 002.jpg (138 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
J 002.jpg
138 KB, 786x1017
This is why I think the true "gamer" community is practically dead (besides us "growing-up" and losing our free time) - Few people actually care about the games anymore, and all we have left are hipsters and stock-market investors. Get an emulator if you have to...but just enjoy the damn game and trade/lend it to a friend after you finish with it. Furthermore, this billionaire fantasy is not new and I remember people in the 80s doing the same with those god damn troll dolls...who remembers that?
>>
>>3058871
Final boss difficulty depends on setup. If you accidentally walk into the boss room with the Vacuum Arm equipped, you're in for a long fight. But like most bosses skill at circle-strafing is the key
>>
>>3057445
In a few months it will show on eBay from seller "notmikekennedy" saying "own a piece of gaming history! Play all your SNES games on this one of a kind hardware! Actually works better than SNES because it's in a superior case!"

$10k reserve
>>
>>3058908
"I know what it's worth, no lowball"
>>
>>3057423

You'll be long dead before it'll be worth anything.

Right now games are in demand because of aging people with nostalgia. Guess what happens when they die? New generations will NOT care about old games at all. So prices will DROP or stay the same for a LONG time.

Then after hundreds of years they will become valuable again as they become incredibly rare.
>>
>>3058891
>Furthermore, this billionaire fantasy is not new and I remember people in the 80s doing the same with those god damn troll dolls...who remembers that?

And comic books. And baseball cards, etc.
>>
video games are for playing anon
>>
>>3057423
Because I already did that before prices got crazy.
>>
>>3057423
cause I'm waiting for your wife's son to sell all your vidya for drugs
>>
Because I'm not adding more fuel to this faggot market.
>>
>>3057501
>Except in 500 years I'll be dead, genius.
Well of course you will be, when you have a pessimistic attitude like that.
>>
>>3058187
Playing 1 right now. So comfy. Roll offering to make hot apricot pie after a long day of digging for refractors. It's awesome.
>>
>>3057584
Why will it get corrupted?
>>
If you collect sealed games just to put them on a shelf then do yourself and everyone who actually plays their games a favor and get another hobby.
>>
>Happened to see someone talking about how much Haunting Ground cost
>Remember I own it
>Look up price
>Be disgusted
>Destroy copy
Cancerous hobby as far as physical media is concerned.
>>
>>3058943

>"And here in this glass case you can see my most priced posession: A non functional but genuine original video game cartridge back from the Primitive Age! This one was found buried underground when tearing down an old building some years ago, apparently having been buried all those centuries ago by an earthquake. As you can see the label is actually still visible, indicationg that this aa copy of "Super Mario Bros. 3". If you do a quick mindsearch on the neuronet you will see that this game was played way back at the end of the 20th century back when people were still forced to use physical screens. Unfortunately the last known physical device to play this cart on was destroyed in the great attack on the Museum Of History during World War 6."
>>
>>3061379
what an edgy young man you are :^)
>>
Hey, OP.

I collect 1910 - 1930's 78's, cylinders, and other music related products from that era.

These games aren't going to be worth millions. They may be a few hundred / thousand depending of quality, but collecting for incredibly old items isn't something that's going to be a large market in the same way that it is today. Usually when the original generations who experienced them die off, it's seen more as an obscure passe novelty that most people aren't going to care about. For the most part, I would say the market for NES era stuff is going to fade away within 20 years, and it will go back to being somewhat obscure again. Technology in the far future, age, and the declining physical quality is going to scare people away. Even if these games do survive another 100 years, they will all be in the public domain and re-released. Nobody will want to buy the originals, except for historians who really want to preserve toys the 1980's, which seems weird to think about.
>>
>>3063724
This. There's a peak period by which if you don't sell, you're basically risking the item depreciating in value.

Don't forget that the world population will peak and begin declining within about 40-50 years. The populations of rich Western nations are already declining (though it is masked by our replacement by poorer third world transplants). Less middle-class youngish-adult white people = less people who give a shit about this retro stuff and can even remember it from their childhoods. Nostalgia has a sell by date. Everything that was ever mass produced can't maintain the kind of values we're seeing in retro games for long.

The rarest of the bunch of course will always be an exception. Mint editions of Detective Comics #27 and Amazing Fantasy #15 were barely affected by the collapse of the great comic book bubble in the 1990s because they were genuinely rare and iconic artifacts of a bygone age. Even though they were mass-produced, they were extremely cheap in their time and widely seen as disposable, hence the only remaining copies numbering in the dozens (and most of those well-worn). The same will be true of the rarest and most expensive video games, but only those that were produced in extremely limited quantities, because wear and tear for games is a non-issue when compared with comic books.

But sealed copies of Super Mario Bros. 3? It sold 17 million world-wide. It will never be the museum piece you think it is. Sealed copies will of course command a premium, but that doesn't change the fact that it's mass produced.
>>
>>3060235
This actually reminds me of the saddest story I ever heard regarding a collector. He had been collecting NES and others for almost 2 decades and walked into the same store as I to sell them all off. The reason? Not that he needed the money or had to make space, but paranoia. He apparently hadn't left his home for more than an hour in a year and a half because he was worried that that his 19 year old son would steal it and sell it all off for some easy money. He had decided that however much it was actually worth, it wasn't worth the stress it was causing him anymore.

I don't know what the actual numbers were but the man walked out with a check and presumably some relief. Still, so many years of collecting lost to fear of something that might not even had happened.
>>
>>3057423
I remember when comic book collecters got suckered into this crap in the 90's
>>
>>3060551
The button cell batteries used to keep game saves contain acid. Which leaks out.
>>
>>3057467
Underrated post
>>
>>3070059
but mario 3 doesn't have saves.
>>
>>3070521
Does have caps though
>>
>>3070573
Oh yeah capacitors. Not to mention that plague of bad Chinese ones.
>>
File: smb10-1.jpg (115 KB, 807x1023) Image search: [Google]
smb10-1.jpg
115 KB, 807x1023
>>
File: QUE ALGUIEN ME EXPLIQUE.png (618 KB, 875x1700) Image search: [Google]
QUE ALGUIEN ME EXPLIQUE.png
618 KB, 875x1700
>>
>>3073843
YOU FOOL
STOP SPREADING LESS THAN COMMON KNOWLEDGE
>>
>>3073843
Whelp, time to buy up all the Japanese famicom games and sell them as "ULTRA RARE JAPANESE EDITION" at insanely inflated prices and end up over saturating the market and drain the whole world of their retro games, country by country, effectively killing off the hobby entirely, forcing people to exclusively use emulators.
But it'll be okay anons, everything's gotta die sometime.
You, me, everyone you ever knew and will know, and your pets.
>>
If you showed a child an NES or SNES today they would laugh at you.

They'd rather play cell phone games.
>>
>>3075749
I've been using emulators for years, go on ahead amigo.
>>
>>3076940
The first thing my nephew does when he comes over is ask to play my suber bintendo
>>
File: RetroBubbleBingo.jpg (223 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
RetroBubbleBingo.jpg
223 KB, 600x600
Price thread?
I'll just put this here then.
>>
>>3057643
I played it a while and quite liked it, but the "3d spinning effect" on every jump is a fucking eyesore. They really should have left that on the char select stage, as a subtle cool effect.
>>
>>3066367
Not /vr/ at all, but I know this feeling well as somebody who one time tried to grow pot in my apartment. Few things in life felt better than getting it all out of there and feeling safe (rather, not worth invading) again.
>>
I think the "final" price of retro games, after people stop playing them on original hardware, will be similar to movie posters for popular movies. A couple hundred US dollars. Supply will gradually go down, but so will demand.

>>3076940

Depends on the kid. My half-brother loves Super Mario World, and last time I saw him I loaded up a DVD with SNES and NES games, which he seemed to appreciate. He's autistic like me though.

On the other hand, I babysat a 6 year old who had no knowledge of vidya outside of his Leapfrog tablet. I gave him Kirby's Dreamland 2 and he got upset because he kept dying. So I gave him Wario Land 2 because he couldn't die, but he needed help with every puzzle and couldn't handle the idea of jumping and attacking at the same time. He gave up in the bubble section of 1-2 and we played hide and seek.

But that's just anecdotal evidence. Lots of kids play retro-style games (FNaF, Minecraft) and maybe they've even played them in the form of cheap Steam and mobile ports. Who knows.

>>3057451

Depends on whether the c
>>
>>3078000
>>3057451

Meant to say "Depends on whether the cartridge has a battery". That will inevitably leak out and damage the game, and you can't take it out lest you ruin its MINT CONDITION VGA 85 RARE LOOOOOOK value.
>>
>>3075749
rot in hell
>>
Anyone ever get worried about their collection getting stolen?

I wonder if the majority of burglars would pass over it or not.
>>
>>3066367
that's funny... Anncast did a show about adult toy collectors who had sold all their stuff off, and one guy had a similar story. He lived in Florida, and was constantly petrified that a hurricane would rip through and destroy his collection. sometimes you own stuff, but if you aren't careful, your stuff can end up owning you
>>
>>3057920
Toys R US stick detected. Value = 0
>>
>>3057457
this won't happen because these things are 1. massed produced. 2. plastic so they will last till the end of time like the ET dump carts. 3. emulated everywhere.

These are nothing like a comic book that probably got thrown away or nothing like a piece of artwork. The real treasure is the people that made the games and the stories they have to tell about it.
>>
>>3076940
not so fast... those old games were... you know... GOOD games. and between the constant exhuming of the SNES's grave by retro-style games and the SNES-tier 3DS graphics, old games are a lot more palatable than you would think. also, little kids do watch Youtube channels, like Angry Game Nerd, and get sucked into the reverence for classic games.

My 10-y/o nephew is super excited to play Super Metroid. I think the difficulty is kicking his ass (le modern baby games), but he is still intrigued
>>
>>3057950
Willing to sell now? Serious inquiry.
>>
>have many old games I don't play anymore, stored in a box
>tell myself I could sell them, make a bit of cash and offer them another life to someone who will really appreciate them
>can't bring myself to sell them, afraid of somehow getting rid of a "memory" of my childhood and it will come to haunt me back when I'm older

Quite an irrational fear, as I haven't played the games in years and I still remember this or that event without seeing the games. I could always grab to emulators I guess also.

Life can be really suffering sometimes.
>>
>>3081380
I view it like this:

Once you sell it, you're never going to rebuy it.

If you ever feel even the least bit of apprehension about selling something: don't. To rebuy something is trivial, but may end up costing you a bit more. The issue is, it's not your original cart. There is some sentimental value, and memories associated with some carts.

I'll always keep my Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid because my dad sent it to my brother and I while he was on extended business in New York. We all sat on the green floor in our living room and mom let us hook up the SNES and play it on the ancient TV in the wood case and move the ugly pink couches and play it literally all day.

That memory to me is worth more than the 100 dollars I'd get for it.
>>
>>3081404

I understand, but it's just strange. For example, I can clearly remember when I got for my birthday Rayman 2 for N64, how it was packed up, etc But I haven't touched the game in years.

I'm considering just writing down my different memories and keeping this diary, since the event itself is more important to me than the cart.
>>
>>3057465

>he took the bait
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.