[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've played and completed DOOM DOOM II Strife Duke Nukem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11
File: FPS Protagonists.jpg (860 KB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
FPS Protagonists.jpg
860 KB, 3840x1080
I've played and completed
DOOM
DOOM II
Strife
Duke Nukem 3D
Half-Life
System Shock 2
and a few others.

Which retro FPS should I be playing next?

Pic semi related.
>>
shadow warrior
blood
heretic
dark forces
quake and quake 2
hexen (its okay if you give up on it)
>>
>>3056692
Final Doom (Plutonia)
Blood
Quake
Shadow Warrior
>>
System Shock 1
>>
Agreeing with >>3056728 you should play System Shock 1, such a masterpiece, but not exactly an FPS, I would call it more an action-adventure in first person. It's pretty unique. If you use the mouselook mod, then it comes closer to an FPS.
>>
Descent

>>3056707
>hexen (its okay if you give up on it)
Nah, just use a walkthrough if you get totally stuck. The game is very satisfying overall, just some parts are iffy.
>>
>>3056692
What difficulty did you complete the Doom games on? If you haven't done them on ultra-violence I highly recommend you go back and do that since the games were balanced best around it.
>>
>>3056792
Ultra-Violence with Fast monstr set.
>>
>>3056792
fast monsters*
>>
>>3056692
Rise of the Triad
>>
>>3056692
> inb4 gb2 doom general
Work thru the Doom Cacowards, especially famous megawads like tge Scythe series. I think many of the good levels made for Doom are better than some of the other games listed in this thread. The Doom General has a suggestions list in its OP.

Agree with Dark Forces, Quake, and System Shock. If you like the slower pace of SS then check out Ultima Underworld. Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight was also really good.
>>
>>3056731
Yes. SS1 with mouselook mod. Must-play game.

This thread reminded me of Kingpin and how I never beat it. I'm not saying you should play Kingpin, but there you go.
>>
Hovertank 3D obviously.
>>
File: Realms-Of-The-Haunting.jpg (172 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
Realms-Of-The-Haunting.jpg
172 KB, 500x355
>>3056692
Its very cheap on steam and well worth it.
>>
>>3056692
Maze War
a
z
e

W
a
r
>>
OP, haven't you played Wolf3D?

Oh, and Spectre VR.
>>
might and magic 6
>>
File: Rebel_moon_rising_01.jpg (41 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Rebel_moon_rising_01.jpg
41 KB, 640x400
>>3056692
OP, try those ones

>>3056724
>>3056707

And if you are into more, try Exhumed (aka Powerslave) and Rebel moon rising. That last one is always overlooked, but it was cool little game.
>>
>>3056692
If you want to try something different and are willing to learn a different control style, Goldeneye is worth trying.
>>
Descent. Now.
>>
>>3056707
That reminds me, I need to pick up my save file again. It's been a while since I last played. Also need to load up Doom II and finish that too.
>>
I'm never going to find all the doomclone shareware and demos I remember playing as a kid ._.
>>
File: NaliCastle.jpg (142 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
NaliCastle.jpg
142 KB, 1152x864
for fucks sake /vr/ why listing all these subpar forgettable games.
U N R E A L is all you need op
>>
>>3056692
Thief Gold and Thief 2
>>
File: 1416087227567.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1416087227567.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>3057039
seconding this unreal is god tier
>>
>>3057047
Thief: The Dark Project masterrace reporting in.

Gold levels are empty, ugly in design and texture, and a vast step down in quality from the other levels.

Fight me.
>>
>>3056692
Play some of the high rated DOOM wads. That's what I spent winter break doing and it was great
>>
File: ridesagain4.png (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ridesagain4.png
153 KB, 800x600
Powerslave (DOS) version, is very underrated imo. Gameplay isn't very deep, but level design is fantastic.

Redneck Rampage: Rides Again In Arkansas, is also very underrated imo. Most people stop at the first RR game, which is kinda average in many ways, but Rides Again fixes most flaws of the original and has much better level design, they really exploited the Build engine to its maximum.

If you go with Powerslave I have some protips to make controls more comfortable.
>>
>>3056692
Chex Quest
>>
>>3057125
Wasn't the Powerslave control scheme fixed?
RR was a great game and the Mission Pack definitely up'd the ante but I never found the gun fights to be satisfying and the hick memes were childishly "over-exaggerated".
>>
>>3057815
the port is over the playstation version though,
>>
>>3056692
Serious Sam
>>
>>3057010
This, and Perfect Dark.

If you're not so keen on learning new controls or dealing with rough framerates then consider going for the 1964 emulator, which injects mouse aiming and also makes both games run at 60FPS. Note that this does trivialize the difficulty/balance of the games, but it isn't an insurmountable difference.
>>
>>3056692
BLOOD
>>
>>3056801
Yeah this one
>>
>>3058106
why they take out the elements that made most retro fps games fun. Theyre pure console shite
>>
>>3058131
PD has fun weapons and excellent multiplayer bots, and it's not a modern-style corridor shooter either, though it's definitely not a Doom/Quake-alike either. Still a really fun game though.
>>
>>3057342
I hope you're joking.
>>
File: ridesagain9.png (160 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ridesagain9.png
160 KB, 800x600
>>3057815
You're thinking about the other Powerslave, the one on console which is completely different game.

And also you're talking about the first Redneck Rampage, the add-on episode is for that one, pretty good add-on btw by the same devs who did add-ons for DN3D, SW and Blood, which does a great job at trying to hide the flaws of the original game.

Anyway I was talking about the 2nd RR game, which fixes most flaws of the original including some of the wonky enemy AI, and which has much better level design.
Cool points for the Motocross and swamp-vehicules levels.
>>
Marathon

Also these
>>3056826
>>3056728
Personally, I love FPS with cursors
>>
>>3057993
Are you serious?
>>
>>3056692
Doom 64
>>
Don't know if they count, but Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 are fantastic.
>>
Painkiller is amazing but avoid it's sequels like the plague
>>
Try NAM
>>
>>3056692
Shadow Warrior
Descent
Jedi Knight
No One Lives Forever
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
>>
>>3060317
Highly recommend NOLF, one of my favorite games of all time imo.

>>3060264
Eh, I guess they kind of count but really it feels more of a point and click rpg in first person. There great games though.
>>
>>3056692
If you do quake don't sleep on the mission packs.
>>
>>3056692
Heretic/Hexen
Dark Forces
>>
Eradicator
>>
Turok 1 and 2
>>
>>3056692
I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread.
I really enjoy Quake 1 (and Quake 3/Live for that matter), what other games are the most similar to it? Fast with great movement and weapons. I tried Quake 2 but it was too slow and heavy for me.
I've already played Painkiller and Serious Sam which come to mind first. I don't mind 2.5D games, but I like 3D ones for the greater freedom of movement.
>>
>>3057003
do you have the link to rebel moon?
>>
>>3064490
http://www.old-games.ru/game/806.html
>>
>>3064475
/rant mode
PK and SS are arena shooters where you go from one spot, kill all things, go to another enclosed location, kill all things etc. More of a slaughter fest than level-throguh gameplay of the classics they aim to ape (both games calimed to be Doom successors but failed to understand the core of Doom).
/rant mode off

On topic: try Doom with some modern maps and mods - Zdoom/GZDoom maps allow for lots of verticality and the movement is really fast. Heretic is fine too.

Duke 3D while being 2.5D has same ammount of freedom full 3D offers by using the portalwarping. Also Blood.

Unreal is slow paced, but it has absolutely gorgeous design, atmosphere and presentation going for it.
>>
Painkiller
>>
>>3064657
Serious Sam is more a FPS version of Robotron than a Doom successor. Like Robotron, it uses large numbers of varied enemies instead of complex level design.
>>
>>3064663
The authors themselves claimed it to be "the Doom of new gen" before it was released in the interviews. This goes for both games.
>>
>>3064657
Yeah I know, I don't mind Painkiller because it's fun to move around in, but I'm not a huge fan of Serious Sam. The game just makes you run backwards, kiting armies of enemies for hours. Holding S is not my idea of fun. Also way too many cheap spawns. I just mentioned them because I figured people would think about them first.
I tried Unreal a while back but I couldn't get the mouse control right. It has some weird kind of acceleration and I couldn't find a way to fix it..

I'll look into the other recs though, thanks.
>>
>>3057078

Fight? But you're right.

Well, SotC is alright to me.
>>
>>3065238

I'm the opposite; I love Serious Sam, but I never got into Painkiller that much. It's a fun game, but all of the enemies felt like they were the same melee dude over and over, only with different models. Serious Sam has a lot more interesting enemy types, like the Biomechaniods, the Werebull, the Kleers, and the Reptiloids.
>>
>>3065238
There's no acceleration in the Unreal Gold (or it is easy to turn off in the options so I dont remember it being there), I hate it too. Avoid HD retexture like a plague it does not look good.
>>
>>3064637
thanks but there is no download link
>>
>>3066191
There is click "Files" tab and there will be a list of available downloads for the game. Dont forget to click on the flag in the upper right corner to switch to english version of a site.
>>
>>3056801

I also recommend this
>>
Painkiller
>>
I think I'll prioritize Quake 1, Unreal Gold, and the Serpent Rider games.

But I wanna get into System Shock 1 to quell my hype now that the remake's trailer is out.
>>
>>3066427
Also, is Hexen really that confusing? I know it's hub based like Strife, but is the difference?
>>
>>3066427
After quake 1, try the arcane dimensions mod using the quakespasm sourceport. Has some really strong maps. Lots of new enemy types too, mostly slight modifications of existing monsters but also some models borrowed from hexen 2.
>>
Serious Sam Origins
it's a mod that uses original early serious sam assets from '99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Em0b8qm7RE
>>
>>3066453
No, but it's annoying hitting a switch that changes something in a different map that can only be accessed by going through a hub, and if you don't know exactly where to go you'll lose a few minutes looking for what exactly changed.
>>
>>3064657
DN3D has no "portalwarping". You're thinking Blood and SW.

You're getting confused with the way Build can handle as many areas as you wish on the same X axis plane, as long as the player can't see more than one of them at the same time.
>>
>>3066832
Multifloor is made by the same code as portalwarp. Also it's more than Two at the same time - which is how the warping was made. Also it is actually used in Duke's secret levels, namely the famous lunatic fringe level (720 degree circle). Duke 3D version of build allows same space tricks Stanley parable used to great extent. IIRC the only significant new features later versions added were some optimisations and voxel support.
>>
>>3066939
>Multifloor is made by the same code as portalwarp.

No, it's two different things, DN3D doesn't have any "portal" feature. But the thing is, both are often used at the same time in Shadow Warrior and Blood.
The "multifloor" is like an exploit of the way the Build engine renders the world, and as a result you can have several places on the same plane (whether or not they're on the same Y axis level doesn't matter, since the engine isn't 3D anyway).

>IIRC the only significant new features later versions added were some optimisations and voxel support.

The "room over room" of SW is derived from the code used for mirrors (hence why they're so laggy).
In Blood, it's handled completely differently but I don't have the specifics, I just know it is not an optimization of SW's code, it's an entirely different thing altogether. While SW had a version of Build based on DN3D, it is not the case for Blood. They started off an old version of Build, which they worked on seperately.

The "true room over room" of EDuke32 is also a completely different code.
>>
>>3056692
Cyclones
Operation Bodycount
Corridor 7
Blake Stone 1&2
>>
Outlaws.
>>
Blood
Turok dinosaurs hunter
Rise of the triad
Redneck rampage
Black stone
Wolfenstein 3d
Goldeneye
Unreal
>>
>>3060253
Seconded. Amazing sequel and what I consider to be the true Doom 3. Godlike atmosphere and gameplay.
>>
>>3056692
I love how within this thread, people have called:
System Shock, System Shock 2
Thief, Thief Gold, Thief 2
Might and Magic 6

FPS games. Like, no offense but System Shock was LITERALLY attempt to make futuristic Ultima Underworld. Saying it's an FPS it's like saying fucking PORTAL is an FPS because you have a gun and you shoot in first person perspective.
Even more egregious with Might and Magic 6 where you don't even really shoot in the first person.
And Thief released the same year as Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu, so you can't even argue that calling it a stealth game is somehow historically inappropriate since it helped START the stealth genre.
>>
Sonic Robo Blast 2

Just kidding, even though it runs in a (heavily, HEAVILY) modified doom, only the multiplayer has FPS elements.
>>
>>3066453
>is Hexen really that confusing?
yes. yes it is.
It simulates getting lost and confused in a dark monotonous fantasy world, almost completely as a game for a watching demigod. Its not supposed to be pleasant, its a grueling maze of trolling.

Dont be afraid to check a walk-through if you find yourself wandering the same 4 levels over and over with no idea what to do
>>
>>3068362
>Thief released the same year as Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu,
so really it had no impact on those 2 games, because they were all in development at the same time?

Metal gear solid was released a month before thief, and Tenchu was released a whopping 10 months earlier!

So if any of those 3 games started the "stealth" genre... it was Tenchu.
>>
>>3068375
Goldeneye was arguably the first 3D stealth game. But it wasn't the first 3D game "with stealth".
>>
>>3068390
good point. I misread the other anons post anyway, he wasn't claiming that Thief was the first, just that it helped start the genre
>>
File: Witchaven_4.png (88 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Witchaven_4.png
88 KB, 320x200
>>3056692
Witchaven if you want something different OP.

It's like a cross between a FPS and an RPG, all in glorious 1990s pixelated graphics.
>>
>>3068370
>monotonous
somebody who has never made it past the first hub folks.
>>
>>3068362
I said might and magic 6 just cause more people should play that game.
>>
>>3065238
>>3066071

make sure to turn RAW HID Input on, disabling mouse acceleration and max smoothing won't work without RAW HID Input for some reason.
>>
>>3068463
psst. I finished it and deathkings of dark citadel
>>
>>3068424
It's a great concept but something went wrong in execution.
>>
File: Bombshell.png (647 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bombshell.png
647 KB, 1280x720
And later this year you should be able to buy and play a new Build game.
>>
File: Bombshell2.png (631 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bombshell2.png
631 KB, 1280x720
Bombshell.
>>
>>3068464
What?
>>
>>3060253
On that note, the exclusive Duke Nukem versions for N64 are worth it too. Also the PS1 would be nice.
>>
>>3073770
>>3073772
Oh man it's not freeware anymore? It looks amazing.
>>
>>3073812
What's different about the 64 version of Duke? It just a bunch of new levels?
>>
>>3073932
Different weapons, including a grenade launcher which by itself makes it worth it to play that version.

There are no new levels, and ep4 is missing. However there are plenty of new, or changed, areas in the levels. Some of which are good, some of which totally suck.

Also a bunch of more minor differences.

Also, no music.

You can play the PC mod, port, of that version though; with music too.
>>
>>3056692

Quake, Quake 3, Blood, Heretic and Hexen, Quake 2 is okay as well, System Shock 1, Deus Ex...
>>
File: descent1.png (190 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
descent1.png
190 KB, 600x350
Descent
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.