[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the consensus on Zelda II here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
What's the consensus on Zelda II here?
>>
Really fucking good, there's no reason for it to be as unpopular as it is
>>
>>3056498
Best 2D Zelda game tbqh.
>>
>AH-HA-HA-HA

Fantastic game.
>>
Not even hard. Even as a child I got all the way to the last dungeon without a problem.
>>
replay it every year or so
>>
>>3056553
Me too. I got TO the last dungeon, and then I got my ass beat IN the last dungeon.

I don't like Z2 as much as Z1, LttP, or Link's Awakening, but I've replayed it several times and it's good.
>>
>>3056498
Zelda 2 > Zelda 1.
Great game. Played it once, can't stop playing it over and over again.
>>
Meh.
>>
Couldn't get into it. Told myself I'd finish it though..
>>
I pretty much bought a NES to play this game, back in the day. The first game was great too (played it after 2). I don't think either is better or worse, just different.
Castlevania II and Faxanadu also became some of my favorites later on, maybe because they were in that same kind of action/adventure style where you roam around in a big world.
>>
It's my favorite Zelda game. I know it's not perfect and grindy but games like it, Faxanadu and such, really appeal to me for some reason.
>>
>>3056498
Best Zelda game, not joking.
>>
Probably the best zelda and I say that not really having played it until a few years ago.
>>
Shit loved by contrarian hipsters.
>>
It's a bit rough around the edges but it's the one Zelda I have fond memories of, not so much from the first game. I wish they'd revisit some of the gameplay from this game instead of concluding it was all a mistake.
>>
>>3056498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S60yTOrz8Mw
Fucking terrifying.
>>
File: 116260.png (362 KB, 2560x2048) Image search: [Google]
116260.png
362 KB, 2560x2048
>>3057045
I'm usually all for respecting everyone's opinions and believing in subjectivity but hearing people saying Zelda 2 is their favorite Zelda is a bit too much for me to take it as a genuine answer and not as some kind of... contrarian hipster one like you said.

Of course I could mention OOT or MM but those aren't even those that come to mind. Both Oracles, LTTP, Link's Awakening... Minish Cap as well was great, and objectively a much better game than Zelda 2.
>>
GAME OVER
RETURN OF POPINSKI
>>
>>3057091
I don't think you understand how this works. Nobody's opinion needs respect from you or someone else. The fact you feel you have some kind of value to grant others is a sign of big ego.
>>
>>3056890
Are you me? What the fuck?
>>
>>3056498
>consensus
>here
>>
If you don't like this game you are a faggot.
>>
GOAT dungeon theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7Sh82Mzdc
>>
It was the first video game I ever owned, I loved it.
>>
>>3057091
>Oracle of Seasons/Ages

Please, fuck off with this meme.
>>
>>3057136
What meme?
>>
File: 1453171312889.jpg (108 KB, 640x412) Image search: [Google]
1453171312889.jpg
108 KB, 640x412
>>3056498
Piece of shit. Game deviated too much from the original formula and progression was too obtuse without constantly going back to the manual. It had a reversal of fortune after the advent of the internet and enough contrarian vids gave birth to the "too good 4 u" meme. People couldn't actually defend this new idea, so then a lot of bullshit like "it has Castlevania gameplay" was invented and retroactively declared as the major line of thinking all along. It's progressed to the point that holier-than-thou idiots swear that it was always loved since the time of release and that anyone saying otherwise is just a clueless parrot who never played the game.

It's kinda like how George Lucas now swears that Han ALWAYS shot first.
>>
>>3057270
Firstly, there was no formula yet - it was the second game in the series.

Secondly, it sold millions of copies continuously over many years. No marketing in the world can convince people to buy bad games outside of the initial hype period.
>>
>>3057270
Don't post wrong opinions while also posting qt pls. It makes me feel bad for her.
>>
File: advlink2.png (20 KB, 528x398) Image search: [Google]
advlink2.png
20 KB, 528x398
I found text version version of Zelda II, this is gonna be cool. Finally a game I can play on my potato that can't run emualtors for shit.
It's for ZZT btw.
>>
>>3057270
Nice case of projection faggot, it's because of trendfollowers like you that the game got a worse reputation. I bet you didn't even know the game or even NES games in general existed before you saw a review of it from the AVGN or some other E-celebrity.
>>
>>3056498
Makes me wish Nintendo had the guts to release the Famicom Disk System over here in The West, where technology is king.
>>
>>3056498
My favorite game (also my first NES game so that probably has something to do with it)
>>
>>3056498

I don't know about a consensus, but it seems to be considered the black sheep of the series. I'm not sure why. Platformers were very popular at the time, and genre shifting was one way to ensure the sequel could be challenging to veterans who had mastered the original overhead style of LoZ, while at the same time ensuring the game was accessible to new players who were familiar with the trove of platformers that preceded Zelda II.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely on my retro top 10. It's too bad an enhanced port or remake never materialized, although there are rumors of one that was planned for BS-X.
>>
>>3057619
>I don't know about a consensus, but it seems to be considered the black sheep of the series. I'm not sure why.

It was always just conjecture from armchair historical revisionists.
>>
>>3057279
>>3057341
>>3057667
Found the babbies who were either completely clueless or weren't even alive when the game came out.

CHALLENGE: Show me some pre-internet critiques of the game that praise it as highly as you do (Truth mode: find contemporary reviews from its time of publish). You'll see the whole "it's actually great and was always loved" line of thinking is actually just a meme.
>>
>>3057091
Meh, not a big fan of 3D games like the newer games and I prefer side scrolling vs top down, so 2 is my fav zelda.

When growing up, we got an NES before zelda 2 came out, so the first zelda was the first I played and I enjoyed it, but I actually wished it had more sidescrolling parts, like when youd get an item.

Opinions man.
>>
>>3057091
Dude, I am one of those who said it's my favorite Zelda. Because I am fond of side-scrolling retro RPGs like Faxanadu, which is a lost genre nowadays. How is that "contrarian hipster"? Just because other people like OoT better?

I don't even own a n64 because it was expensive as fuck in my country, it was cheaper to go with PSX, and it was easier to get games because more people had it, unlike the 64, which was a flop around here because of the insane prices, so I have no attachment for OoT because I didn't play it growing up, it's that simple. I played it years later and it felt very empty, specially compared to the older games or Majora's Mask (which at least had an original core concept and felt much less empty).

I get that OoT is the spoiled child of Nintendo kids, but give me a break. I am just answering OP's question, I have no obligation to cater to OoT fanboyism in a Zelda 2 thread. I genuinely don't love OoT, and people like you calling everyone else "contrarian" for not liking it, can probably explain why other people gets sick of it being lauded as the ultimate game, when it's just "good". I definitely had more fun with other RPGs and other Zeldas too.
>>
>>3057729
*Brofist*
>>
>>3057693
>Found the babbies who were either completely clueless or weren't even alive when the game came out.

wut
This is some next level trolling. I grew up with this game and first beat it when I was 10.

>Show me some pre-internet critiques of the game...

Uh, that was a whole different era. We didn't have the Internet back then, and video games weren't widely publicized outside of occasional TV spots, and the original company's own periodicals about their products. Nintendo Power pretty much consistently rated up every first-party game.

Regardless, Zelda II had strong sales. That's about the only indicator of its popularity we have to go on.

>Upon its release in North America, Zelda II became one of the most popular NES games of 1988, with many retailers reporting that the game was selling out that year.
>The game ultimately sold 4.38 million copies worldwide, making it the fifth best selling NES game, behind the Super Mario Bros. series and the first Legend of Zelda game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_ii#Reception
>>
If Battle of Olympus didn't exist, I'd probably like Zelda 2 more. Or if the palaces were more visually interesting. It makes me laugh that the jp version's palaces were even more graphically similar than what we got in America.
>>
>>3057326
bro what kinda computer are you using that can't even emulate the nes?
>>
>>3057270
>piece of shit
Nice b8.
>>
File: 1413104887311.jpg (36 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
1413104887311.jpg
36 KB, 500x495
>>3057693

2/10, made me reply. Come on, you can troll better than this.Use less buzzwords and more real argumentation instead of just making claims and maybe people will try to have a nice debate with you.
>>
>>3058060
One with broken drivers, that doesn't run Xorg for shit and sound is all fucked-up.
But it's still better than Windows 10 (that the laptop came with).
>>
>>3057825
Yeah Zelda 2 was super popular. Here's video proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4KG9ib8S4
>>
>>3057490
I've been wanting a ROM hack of Zelda II that merges the FDS and NES versions into one, taking the best bits of both. Maybe some rebalancing might be in order too, but I don't know where exactly. I would just settle for a definitive version.
>>
p good my man
>>
Not sure about the opinion around here but I personally liked it. People need to remember that it was only the second game and nintendo probably didn't want to make the same game again.

Most of the common complaints besides it being so different from Zelda 1 like difficulty and how cryptic it can be are sort of a moot point because that was the common for NES games.

I found the difficulty to be fine, it was a challenge but not unbeatable (death mountain can eat a huge bowl of frosted dicks though), most of the cryptic shit is told to you somewhere by an NPC if you look hard enough.

Side note everyone talks about the "I am Error" line, Error actually did tell you something important during the game.
TL;DR: it's worth playing, most complaints about it were commonplace for NES games.
>>
>>3057091
>Minish Cap as well was great, and objectively a much better game than Zelda 2.

>>>/v/
>>>/trash/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>3057136
Map is from Link's Awakening bruh.
>>
>>3056498
Most of my lifeit was a loved, flawed gem. I never liked the first and LttP just didn't click with me. Then at some point I played it again and really saw the complaints. It's an ok game, pretty decent by NES standards, but it really deserves the status it has.

LttP did eventually grow on me but overall Zelda is not a high ranking series for me. WW and shockingly SS are my favorites.
>>
>>3057091
Links Awakening is my favorite too.

I don't hate Zelda 2, but I've never been able to git gud. I always get caught in the death mountain casual filter
>>
>>3057693
the only babby is you jr
>>
>>3057270
you sound like a 15 year old trying sooooo hard to be cool.
>>
It used to get ripped on, but not really any more. Save scumming got rid of any difficulty it once held.
>>
>>3057091
it could be possible that someone really enjoys loz2 because its not like the other zelda games and therefore, enjoys it more than the other zelda games
>>
>>3058174
what gpu is it?
>>
>>3058174
Did you fall for a /g/ meme and install linux?
>>
>>3058373
Do you like it because you honestly like the gameplay better?

Because if you like it only because it's different, like you said, then that's why people would think you're a contrarian.
>>
>>3058390
it isn't a meme, linux is perfectly usable and whatever he is experiencing is rare. he probably doesn't even fucking have graphics drivers installed
>>
>>3058395
thats some mental gymnastics. the two games are completely different

ones almost a platformer a-la faxanadu or castlevania with exploration elements

the other is a topdown action rpg. so basically your post boiled down is anyone who doesn't like what i like is a hipster
>>
>>3058397
I meant more a windows 10 meme.

Saying a system with fucked up graphics and sound is better than a functional windows 10 sounds pretty meme-ish.
>>
>>3058260
>how cryptic it can be

Which has no basis in reality. The villagers really provide enough information to the player, albeit in brief detail. For instance, you're actually told that the lost child is located somewhere on the island.

The only thing I recall not being hinted at is the location of the mirror, but it should have been painfully obvious that it would be located in the same village. Even when I played this game as a kid, it occurred to me to try examining objects like tables and water fountains.

You'd think heart and magic containers would be even more obscure, but NPCs flat out tell you where some of those are located.
>>
>>3058262
>deferring trash to >>>/lgbt/

>>>/pol/
>>
>>3058379
No separate GPU, it's just some integrated shits on the CPU. It was a cheap laptop...

>>3058390
OpenBSD
>>
>>3058458
integrated gpu's still need graphics drivers anon, what brand is the gpu?
>>
>>3058403
Oh yeah, Faxanadu is a better sidescrolling action rpg than Zelda 2 as well. Really I think it's harder to think of worse ones other than like Ys III.

Still, Zelda 2 is pretty fun. Not much for replayabilityx though.
>>
>>3058469
"Intel HD Graphics"
http://ark.intel.com/products/87257/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3050-2M-Cache-up-to-2_16-GHz
Anyway it's Intel so just a matter of time until there is OpenBSD driver. My previous laptop had NVidia GPU, so no chances there at all. But then again it was a much better laptop (Thinkpad T61p) and the CPU on that one was fast enough to run a lot of emulators without GPU. Only some like that FS-UAE thing were slow because they were coded entirely for OpenGL only, with no software rendering fallback. I had an older emulator (E-UAE) that worked perfectly though. Stuff like Pinball Dreams was perfectly smooth with accurate sound emulation.
>>
>>3058403
>so basically your post boiled down is anyone who doesn't like what i like is a hipster
No, your wording was vague and I was asking for clarification.

If you like the gameplay better, great. "Different" could mean hipster bullshit though.
Your post could be interpreted either way.
>>
>>3058487
to clarify i wasn't saying i liked zelda 2 better, i was saying that they were two different types of games and someone could enjoy one but not the other and vice versa
>>
>>3057270
I was around when the game came out.
If anything the game didn't become hated until the early internet era.
It just recently began getting a reappraisal of sorts, even though it wasn't poorly received or unpopular at all initially.
>>
Its terrible, but at least its not the CD-i games or Link's Crossbow Training.
>>
>>3058425

Which I mentioned see

>most of the cryptic shit is told to you somewhere by an NPC if you look hard enough.
>>
File: zelda2_conceptart_JQny0.jpg (162 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
zelda2_conceptart_JQny0.jpg
162 KB, 500x521
Zelda II isn't the best Zelda, nor is it even my favorite, but it's the most rewarding entry in the series.

My friend and I played it over the course of a few days, a couple years ago, with one of us playing the game and the other drawing a map of the dungeons to track our progress. The game was fucking brutal, and a lot of the parts in the game were needlessly frustrating, but no game in my adult life has actually made me jump out of my seat and yell in victory after beating it.

Is the game rough around the edges? Very. Is the English translation shit? Yes. Are there parts that are objectively stupid? Of course. But having said all that, the mountain you climb by playing the game is way higher than any of the other Zelda's.

Plus it has my favorite endgame theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vez-Q_Eo57I
>>
>>3056498
>Ganon played by The Rock
would you watch it?
>>
>>3057712
>>3057729
>>3058323
>>3058373
I'll admit it my comment was immature and I kind of intentionally made it so as a way to bait because I was curious as to how people would reply to it.

>>3057097 is right, I don't have any right to judge you guys for that.

Thanks for the replies.
>>
>>3056501
>>3056517

Fucking this. Its highly underrated
>>
>>3057693
Looks like you were BTFO kiddo
>>
>>3058521
shit b8
>>
>>3056498
Better than Aonuma crap.
>>
nearly 30 years later and still no complete retranslation
no fds music hack either
>>
>>3056498
I've never been a huge Zelda fan, I only played OOT and one, but as far as I'm concerned it's fucking awesome. The XP system is cool, the swordfights are interesting, and it's just so fucking cool to have an overworld a la Zelda I mixed with sidescrolling segments. And it makes you feel like you're living a great adventure. It's a solid 8.5/10 imho.
>>
>>3059728
*And this one
>>
>>3059135
Even fucking Castlevania 2 got a full overhaul ROM hack.
>>
>>3057270
You sir are the clueless parrot

t. Another clueless parrot
>>
>>3056498
I'm not sure, but that game over screen used to scare the hell right out of me when I was 2.
>>
>>3059760
And not just one, but at least two of them. Tho never one adds FDS audio.
>>
>>3059135

I just alternate between the two versions.

A backport hack of the FDS version might be easiest, since all you would need to do is update some of the palace tilesets, make a few sprite alterations and adjust enemy placement, depending on how many of the changes you want to backport.

I'm assuming the palace tiles in the FDS version are stored the same way they are in the NES ROM, which is to say there should be several duplicate tile entries located in the ROM - one for each palace. If that's the case, colorizing the FDS palaces shouldn't be difficult.

Note that not all palaces in the FDS version use the generic gray tileset, though. Later palaces did in fact have more colorful tiles. Just for some reason, the earlier palaces all recycled the gray set.
>>
File: bb66b1da7.jpg (25 KB, 352x329) Image search: [Google]
bb66b1da7.jpg
25 KB, 352x329
>>3057105
I actually have this music as my alarm.
>>
>>3059884
I don't know, from my understanding there's a lot of graphics upgrades to the NES release. Retranslating the FDS version and using the new translation to fully update the NES script makes the most sense. Plus you could even use the 2003 GameCube ROM as a base, tho I'm not sure exactly what all differences it has besides the rewritten opening text. Not sure if that version has the death flashes reduced & blocks the fairy from passing through keyholes, like the Wii Virtual Console ROM does.

As for FDS music, any emulator & flashcart should still support the extra channel regardless of if the game boots as a NES or FDS game. The only "negative" would be that you could never make a repro that supports FDS audio due to the cart not having the necessary hardware. And given how many cocksuckers are profiting off the efforts of others, that sounds like the best news ever.
>>
>>3058194
That was actually fascinating to watch.

Seeing footage of Peter Main in his heyday is always interesting.

But best of all is seeing how much more insane Nintendo-mania was in Japan - with MASSIVE demand for the Dragon Quest series.
>>
Really good game. Less adventurous/criptic than its predecessor, and with some odd pacing.
I can understand some complaints about the difficulty, but at this point they've gone overboard, it's far easier than so many others NES games. I like to think that in some alternative universe this game gets some more praise and less hate, but it's Zelda, it does not need any more hype.

Also, reminder that Miyamoto said "he wished he would have done more with it".
>>
>>3058194
>now to a much more serious report

Great cut
>>
>>3057829
BoO is amazing. I might play through again just because you mentioned it
>>
File: scorpio.gif (997 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
scorpio.gif
997 KB, 245x245
>>3056498
Form your own opinion and quit leaching off of others'?
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.