[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Customization in retro games.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 1457371507043.png (231 KB, 768x384) Image search: [Google]
1457371507043.png
231 KB, 768x384
Were there any games where you had customization options? I cant recall any old games who had more than maybe showing another weapon at the sprite. The only one that comes kinda close is RO with all the Headgear. Pic slightly related, the dye options they implemented later.
>>
>see thread, don't read it all the way
>what the fuck is this RO shit in here
>oh

Anyway, you're right, I didn't play RO because it looked like a terrible Gaia Online Grindfest but I'm always excited to play a game and see that my main dude is wearing the armor I just spent a bunch of time grinding for
>>
Well there were several games that had features to build your own levels. Some examples are Excitebike on NES, or Q Billion and Cattrap on Game Boy.
>>
>>3048896
Ah i'm sorry. I know RO doesn't really belong here, but it has nice sprites, and it's the only thing i could thought of. And yeah it's really grindy but it was fun when i was 14.
>>
File: serveimage.png (1 MB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
1 MB, 768x1024
>>3048887
I think this was the first game I played that allowed character customization and it blew my mind.

If you've never played it and you enjoy the idea of building robots to kick the shit out of other robots in a beat 'em up -- this is the game for you.
>>
>>3048887
"What is your name, hero?"
>>
Visually, nothing extensive. Mainly because limited memory would have been wasted on extra sprites. Some games did palette swaps.
>>
Gold Box RPGs. You could have your brick shithouse dwarven fighter look like a girl in a dress with a pointy hat.
>>
File: crystalkeep.jpg (1 MB, 1047x1458) Image search: [Google]
crystalkeep.jpg
1 MB, 1047x1458
This game had a built-in icon editor so you could draw your party's portraits yourself.
>>
Legend of Legaia has unique visual changes for every piece of equipment in the game. It's pretty cool, shame most players won't get to see half of it.
>>
>>3048896
>, I didn't play RO because it looked like a terrible Gaia Online Grindfest

RO predated Gaia Online. But you were right to avoid it. RO was an awful grindy timesink.

>>3048887
There was very little visual customization in most retro games. I can't think of any that came close to RO.
>>
>>3050264
Man I remember renting that game once, it was one of the most generic, uninspired pieces of garbage I ever tried.
>>
>>3048991
This.

I had a pirate copy of Pools of Darkness for the Amiga, and 9 times out of 10 I couldn't guess my way past the "10th word from the 8th page" copy protection, but I was able to create characters and choose sprites for them and stuff, which was brilliant at age 8.
>>
>>3048887
when you have limited space for essential assets like tiles, scripts, codes or in some cases even colors, you don't have the luxury of wasting it with changing character sprites according to what they are using

old school fallout still showed you what you were wearing and shooting with tho
>>
>>3052993
Even with limitations, changing a pallet's contents is trivial.
>>
File: unlimited-adventures_4.gif (10 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
unlimited-adventures_4.gif
10 KB, 320x200
>>3048991
And at the end they published Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures, which let you customize everything in the game!
>>
File: Snap19_1.jpg (91 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Snap19_1.jpg
91 KB, 640x480
It's features like this that show genuine interest in the game from the developers
>>
>>3053717
that's more like an RPG maker thing than a customizable game, isn't it?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.