[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bluetooth dongle for SNES/NES/GENESIS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: arx1389448379y.jpg (240 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
arx1389448379y.jpg
240 KB, 1000x750
Hello, is there a bluetooth dongle to connect a bluetooth controller to old consoles?

If not, is there a way to build one? Thanks.
>>
I dare you to go into GameStop and ask for a dongle. Be prepared to fistfight.
>>
>>3045347
LOL, Why?
>>
>wireless
>bluetooth
>ever
>>>/v/
>>
>>3045302
>is there a way to build one
Of course, but bluetooth isn't a good choice here. Compared to a couple wires there's massive overhead. There are a few tricks you can use to speed things up but at the end of the day there's nothing you can do about having to collect, process, send, receive, and output data. There are much simpler ways to go about it. They have they own pros and cons but are generally better suited for this.

>>3046314
So, stick with wired bluetooth?
>>
>>3048109
So, I've been searching the internet, I'm somewhat confused about how should I go with this project.

If I develop the dongle, would it connect to any modern controller? That would be convenient.
>>
>>3048180
Why? It's going to be laggy as hell
>>
File: S6004612.jpg (281 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
S6004612.jpg
281 KB, 1000x750
>>3045302
Cool, thats my controller.

Your question:
There is a project called UWRC. They basically replace the entire PCB of retro controllers with a built in bluetooth one and hook a custom built dongle up to the console.
(which is a lot of work and spent cash) Here is an instruction:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kk005w61ekzh7xs/UWRC+v2+SNES+Controller+new.pdf

I'd just get a SFC30 (have it, it is better than my custom built original) or a FC30 Pro and use it with an emulator (e.g. on your smartphone/tablet/pc/wii/whatever).
Thats much less pain.
>>
>>3046076
Because it's SEXIST and GameStop hires gamergrrls and PC (pussy crushing) Chads
>>
>>3048214
That's a nice mod!

This PDF is exactly what I've been looking for, I'd like to build a custom dongle so I could play on original consoles, I don't really like the emulators feel. It is somehow different, but old controllers are really bad compared to the new ones.

Thank you for the instructions.
Do you feel any input lag with your mod?

I'll watch your Instructables video soon.
>>
File: uwrc-2.jpg (161 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
uwrc-2.jpg
161 KB, 1440x1080
>>3048214
The UWRC project is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, thank you very much!
>>
File: IMG_20140111_010505.jpg (270 KB, 1000x564) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140111_010505.jpg
270 KB, 1000x564
>>3048683
>Do you feel any input lag with your mod?
I made it through Donkey Kong Country, so there can't be much lag. The SFC 30 might be a little faster than my own mod, dunno.

>I'll watch your Instructables video soon.
It's not mine, I have nothing to do with UWRC.
My mod uses a Bluefruit EZ Key chip, a LiPo battery and a USB charge controller. Pic related.

Tip if someone is into retro controller mods:
Buy a new shit ass chink controller off ebay and take the button rubber pads out. You can put them into your original controller and it will feel like new.
>>
>>3048180
It depends what your objectives are.
If you want something that works with a bunch of different controllers and systems and can translate between then and uses modern standards stick an atmel and BTmodule at each end. Then you can use your snes controller wirelessly on your snes, or on your PC or your PC controller on your snes or a GC controller on your snes or whatever you program each end to speak. And it will have all the issues you'd expect using VT and an adapter.
You could do it the old fashion way and wire a few LEDs and receivers to the data and clock and latch lines and have dirt cheap zero lag wireless that requires line of site.
Those are the extremes and there are plenty of options in between. It totally depends what your objectives are. BT is fine for some things. For some things I wouldn't even use native BT on a modern console.
>>
>>3049120
I would like to run my retro systems with only one controller and use multiple receivers on them, just like the Universal Wireless Retro Controller project.

I've been reading the files, I think I'll be able to make it work with a little bit of luck.

But I've got a question, the controller receiver is a ATMega8 that I need to flash, and the receiver is a ATTiny2313, so far it is ok.

But I have a Hori Wireless Pad for PS2, it works at 2.4Ghz, just like the ATTiny2313 transmitter, do you think it will work with the ATMega8 receiver without flashing it?

The project topic is here: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4393.0
>>
ATMega8 is the receiver microcontroller.
ATTiny2313 is the transmitter microcontroller.

I need to flash both, but do you think that I will need to flash the Hori Wireless Pad transmitter that runs at 2.4Ghz?

Or will it work with the ATMega8 receiver and I will just need to flash the receivers?

Thanks. (I'm posting again because my previous reply had mistakes).
>>
>>3048762

Oh, sorry, I thought yours was the one on this page: http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-Nintendo-SNES-controller-into-bluetooth-/

I will look for your page, thanks.
>>
>>3049332
Any particular reason you want to use multiple receivers? One receiver can work with multiple consoles. The connector is the only difference. Unless you only have a few consoles or you plan on building dozens of receivers you're going to end up reusing receivers.

Do you know what transceiver the Hori uses? If it's compatible with the part you're using you could just add code to the "receiver" to handle whatever data it sends/expects. Odds are it's not.
>>
>>3050019
No, I could use just one, but I'm following the UWRC design... In the files there are multiple codes for the microcontrollers for each console, so I'm not if it is possible to create just one receiver, but that would be great. Much better solution actually.

Yeah, I don't think that Hori will be compatible neither.
>>
>>3050791
By multiple codes do you mean multiple firmwares? If so if the source available? If it is you could either merge everything into one firmware and maybe need more space on your MPU or you could add the wireless bits to code that's already done that.
>>
>>3048310
You're trying way too hard to be funny
>>
>>3051293
Yes, exactly, multiple firmwares.

The microprocessor code is a .hex file that can be edited, I'll link it to you directly from the source, the link is on video description.

So instead of solding the connector directly to the receiver, the idea is to creat a plug where you can plug and unplug the connectors, right?

And use a "all-purpose" firmware that works with any console, maybe it would be possible to change the buttons layout that match each controller by pressing a custom button combination?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnmfaILCHw
>>
Microcontroller, firmware, not microprocessor, LOL, I'm too sleepy, sorry.
>>
>>3051594
I had a quick look through the code. Looks like timing is specific to the configuration and based on instruction cycles rather than a timer. I assume this gives great response time at the expense of not being so flexible. Probably easier to add the Rf module code to something like keio instead of trying to rework all that code.

Yeah, the idea would be to made adapters from the console connector to your own pinout and have some mechanism for telling the MPU what it should be reading or pretending to be. With 20 pins you're not going to have anything left over after you connect something with a high pin count like a neo geo controller and your RF module. You probably also want more than 2k and decent USB so that attiny isn't the best choice.

Since each end is running your code you can pretty much have it do whatever you want as far as configuration. If you plan on supporting a lot of configurations you might want to go with a shift register in the adapter wired with an ID and function and read that in at startup. That gives you 127 receivers and 127 transmitters with 8 bits and lets the brains part auto detect.

You could also have different button configurations that load depending on what buttons are held down at start up. Swap buttons, assign extra buttons to auto fire, different N64 configurations for different games , etc.
>>
>>3051349
Not the guy you're responding to, but i think he was making an unfunny joke in reference to this unfortunate incident
http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/21/a-dongle-joke-that-spiraled-way-out-of-control/
>>
>>3052579
I see, it really seems to be a better solution, a much better actually, but... I'm not sure I'm capable of doing that. =(
>>
>>3053754
lol, that is crazy.
>>
>>3053964
If that's too much then you might consider taking a good pad with enough buttons, like the Saturn, and modifying each consoles RX code to translate the Saturn TX button codes into what you need. This would let you use one controller for three consoles. Plus any others you wanted to write RX firmware for. There's a USB library for the attiny so you could even do that if you wanted.

Not the mostest coolest solution possible but it will get the job done. And if you go with cheap parts you're looking at maybe $2 per receiver. Even with a dozen consoles and 2 controllers each cost isn't even an issue.
>>
File: 1417801104385.png (84 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
1417801104385.png
84 KB, 500x368
>>3053754
Damn, reading this just hurts. This is what you get for women in tech.
>>
>>3054771
I can understand why reading anything would hurt you.
>>
>>3053964
I had a more detailed look at the code. All the firmware only supports to channels. Even the N64. So you're going to have to make some changes anyway if you want more than two players. Easy enough to do though.
>>
>>3053754
at least the bitch got fired in the end
>>
>>3053754
Holy shit. It's scary that things like this can even happen.

I work in life science in an office that's 80 percent women, and I've overheard many jokes about kicking a guy in the balls from them. It never became a problem because they also laugh at the immature dick jokes me and the guys occasionally make.

Sure, 'sexual' humor doesn't have a place in the workplace, but it's not as if you need to be watching every word you say all the time, especially if it's supposedly because delicate female brains can't deal with humor that suggests the notion of sex. That's like, a step back for feminism and equality.
>>
File: 1429177114622.jpg (12 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1429177114622.jpg
12 KB, 258x245
>>3057030
>wagecucks
>>
>>3057034
>not understanding the concept of someone who actually enjoys their workplace and balances it with a rich and full life

How's basement life going? Figurine collection turning out nicely? Gonna suck when whatever cash is supporting you runs out and you realize you have no useful skills or experience.
>>
>>3056975
Yeah, I was looking for another solution, a good solution was starting to looks impossible to me, but I've found a PS2 controller apdapter to any system.

So I will use these adapters with my Hori Wireless controller, and use a adapter for Gamecube Controller on N64 from raphnet-tech and use a Wavebird controller, not perfect but good enough for my needs.

Thanks for your input, you really helped me a lot in make my decision.
>>
>>3057684
Sure thing. Glad I could help.
I'm going to be making either a GCN version of the this or a wireless version of the keio adapter. The world will eventually run out of wavebirds.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.