[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PLEASE TALK ABOUT SYSTEM SHOCK 2 UNTIL I BECOME EXCITED ENOU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10
File: Systemshock2_ingame_final.jpg (85 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Systemshock2_ingame_final.jpg
85 KB, 640x480
PLEASE TALK ABOUT SYSTEM SHOCK 2 UNTIL I BECOME EXCITED ENOUGH TO FINALLY PLAY IT AGAIN

PERHAPS CONVINCE ME TO FINALLY ATTEMPT A PSI OPS RUN

I AM POSTING THREAD THEME MUSIC AS WELL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKa46RxoxAw&fmt=18
>>
PERSONALLY I NEVER PLAYED SS2 UNTIL IT WAS ALMOST A DECADE OLD, BUT I FIND IT TO BE A FANTASTIC FPS/RPG/HORROR TITLE, ESPECIALLY WHEN COMPARED TO IT'S SPIRITUAL SUCCESSORS, WHICH STARTED AS PRETTY OKAY AND MAYBE EVEN PRETTY GOOD WITH BIOSHOCK AND THEN ENDED AS SOMETHING COMPARABLE TO WHAT I LEAVE IN THE TOILET WITH BIOSHOCK INFINITE

OFTEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT NOSTALGIA GOGGLES BUT I IN FACT PLAYED SS2 AFTER BIOSHOCK AND FIND IT TO BE THE SUPERIOR OF THE TWO

SS2 IS ALSO ACTUALLY SCARY AND BIOSHOCK IS NOT
>>
>PERHAPS CONVINCE ME TO FINALLY ATTEMPT A PSI OPS RUN
Don't focus too much on it. Most powers are pretty pants. Save up for the psi sword, spending some points on survivability and the wrench early on.
>>
I NEVER PLAYED IT BUT I HEARD IT WAS QUITE GOOD OP
>>
Im a total bitch, but the game is so goddamn creepy its hard to get past the first few areas.

First time seeing the hanged body, i nearly shit my pants.
>>
OKAY I'VE DECIDED TO FINALLY PLAY

AND WE'RE GONNA DO IMPOSSIBLE WHICH I'VE NEVER PLAYED ON

AND I'M GONNA BE A NAVY GUY CUZ BOATS ARE COOL

I'VE NEVER PLAYED ABOVE HARD AND DESU I NEVER REALLY GOT THAT FAR BEFORE GETTING DISTRACTED BY OTHER SHIT WHEN I PLAYED IT PREVIOUSLY

SO BASICALLY I'M IN FOR A SHIT SHOW
>>
Never played it myself, but this is a favorite remix:

https://binster.bandcamp.com/track/elegant-deadly-precise
>>
OKAY REAL TALK I DO IN FACT LOVE THIS GAME

I HAVE 0 COMPLAINTS ABOUT IT

BUT, AND I THINK THIS IS JUST A FAILING OF MODS AND WIDESCREEN SUPPORT, MY VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL SENSITIVITY IS TOTALLY OUT OF WACK AND IT'S BOTHERING ME

LIKE IF THIS WAS HALO IT WOULDN'T BOTHER ME AT ALL; A LOWER VERT SENSITIVITY WOULD IMPROVE YOUR ABILITY TO HEADSHOT GUYS IN MP CUZ EVERYONE HAS THE SAME HEIGHT

BUT IN A SINGLEPLAYER GAME I NEED IT TO BE 1:1 JUST FOR IMMERSION PURPOSES, IT FEELS WEIRD TO BE ABLE TO TWIST LEFT AND RIGHT REALLY FAST WHILE PANNING UP AND DOWN IS SLOWER
>>
HEY GUYS IS THIS THE SYSTEM SHOCK 2 THREAD SPECIFICALLY MADE TO DISCUSS SYSTEM SHOCK 2 AND ITS LEGACY

I DIDNT PULL MY FORESKIN UP COMPLETELY
>>
LOVE THE SOUNDTRACK111
>>
I HONESTLY THINK SS1 IS A BETTER GAME THAN SS2, BUT 2 IS STILL A GREAT GAME.
>>
I beat it without using a single shitty psi power.
>>
Anyone tried to do no-upgrades playthrough?
>>
>>3039587
You don't really think you're the only one?
>>
>>3039587
As did presumably two thirds of everyone who played it.
>>
>>3038581
I tried psi and it was pretty shit.
>>
>>3039563
I used to dismiss people saying that but now that I have played SS1 I agree. I went back to play SS2 again recently and it's just not as fun. Maybe it's cause I'm doing a psi run for the first time though.
>>
>>3039563
It is but 2 is still amazing
Also remember not to be a complete tard OP, you should get the cheeper upgrades for End and Agi before forgeting about them
>>
>>3038581

don't exactly remember why, but going PSI on my last playthrough was kind of a letdown
>>
I remember playing it pretty exhaustively way back then(went engineer/tech/etc guy) until it was time to enter the Many section and I just didn't feel up to it anymore. Great game though.

I should replay it now that AVP 2 isn't fresh on my mind. There's only so many organic bio-Hells one can take simultaneously.
>>
>>3041370
When I did psi it felt like I had to rely to heavily on the basic projectile abilities for way too long.
>>
>>3038589
>I NEVER PLAYED SS2 UNTIL IT WAS ALMOST A DECADE OLD

Same.

I'll go one further, though: I didn't play SS1 until it was 15 years old, and I found that to basically be every bit as good as SS2.
>>
Is System Shock 1 hard?
Are there other games like it to compare it to?
>>
>>3043970
It's harder than SS2 (not like that's saying much tho) and the only games that compare to it are the ultima underworld games.
>>
File: HS3Da4s.png (185 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
HS3Da4s.png
185 KB, 1920x1080
>>3043970
It has adjustable difficulty, so you can make things you don't like easier.
>>
My first playthrough was PSI on hard, it was super fun.

>>3043970
Not really. I thought SS difficulty level was very enjoyable, not overly frustrating. Sometimes you need to study the automap and takes notes and backtrack. Some parts with lots of enemies/ambushes might require some reloading. Other than that I wouldn't call it very difficult as long as you pay attention (on standard difficulty, 2 I think).
>>
>>3044016
>Everything normal.
>>
File: 1430186523124.png (238 KB, 507x471) Image search: [Google]
1430186523124.png
238 KB, 507x471
So how bad are they going to fuck up SS3?
>>
About to start this myself, any tips for a new player? I mostly plan on going full commando and ignore the powers because they seem to be more difficult to use. I just want to know if there's stuff here that can fuck you like no getting swimming in deus ex.
>>
>>3044149
Ok, listen.
People might say that you need to invest in at least first lvl of research because you NEED to research one thing to progress. You dont need to invest cyber modules into research, there is an research implant that will let you research all basic things, including a toxin you need to progress.

Similar thing, you will NEED to hack a replicator in order to buy certain story related object later on. You would have to either invest in lvl2 hacking OR use ICE-Pick(one time use autohacking unit).
For boss fight you will need either lots of firepower, or hacking to take down shields.
I found 4 ICE-Picks throu the whole game, just enough to hack a replicator AND boss shields without investing a single point in hacking.

That things said, both research and hacking are usefull, first giving you some bonus damage to enemies,flavor text, few implants, new type of weapons and armor, all of very specified use.
Second gives you lots of supplies, including nanites, ammo, hypos and other stuff.

Thats all.
Have fun playing.
Remember to conserve ammo.
Post your build and impressions throu the game here if you can/want, its interesting to see someones perspective on things.
>>
>>3044149
Also, select an object in your inventory and click '?' in the down left for flavor text.
>>
Get invisibility powerup, because otherwise you are buttfucked at the end of the body of the many!
>>
>>3046073
OR he could just use assault rifle with antipersonnel ammo?
That combination tears throu Rumblers like they are wet tissue paper. I would suggest saving about 150/200 antipersonnel ammo for that moment, just to be safe.
>>
>>3043970
system shock 1 is secretly way more fun than 2
>>
>>3039587

Everybody does it. At least once.

It's so rewarding to beat everythingwith your wrench + the right type of ammo.
>>
>>3039587
Call us when you beat it using only psi powers.
>>
nice just wasted like 3 hours in this shit
apparently when the game auto saves it's actually a trick and doesn't save
I died once in an area where I didn't have a revive pod or whatever and I have no save now because I never manually saved
probably will never play it again now
>>
File: tsundere shodan.jpg (91 KB, 900x680) Image search: [Google]
tsundere shodan.jpg
91 KB, 900x680
>>
>>3047603
Weird, never happened to me.
Where you died? Engineering?
>>
File: 1428413808821.jpg (42 KB, 512x640) Image search: [Google]
1428413808821.jpg
42 KB, 512x640
>>3047661
>>
>>3038581
Played this a dozen time in the last decade, it's pretty good and I do like the atmosphere of 2 more than 1.

Probably the hardest thing in the game is doing the wrench only run, fucking exploding robots in OP is cancer. Like you can sort of jump kite them but you still get damaged and if you have no way to heal you're fucked.
>>
>>3047871
Localized Pyrokinesis m8
>>
>>3043970
The first game has a couple stupid things like the invisible mutants but other than that it's not too difficult. The revive mechanic is way better executed than SS2 or Bioshock series.
>>
>>3047796
forget what it's called but it's the area with all the radiation
I walk around the corner and there's 2 hybrids and of course they both decide to do their fast melee attack animation at the exact same time
>>
File: OhX3qNF[1].jpg (258 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
OhX3qNF[1].jpg
258 KB, 1920x1080
just look at this and play.

http://imgur.com/a/1BjFg
>>
I don't understand hacking
It seem rng, like you just click squares and hope they line up
>>
>>3048260
I think it is rng.
It would be sweet tho if you could tell if next square is safe by memorizing which comment line(like 'stack overflow' or 'security breached' appearing in the window)means what.
I still hope there is a method like this.
>>
>>3047905
>wrench only
>psi
>>
>>3048207
Yep, engineering.
Being done by melee hybrids is really shitty way to go, you either had little hp or played on higher difficulty.
The trick I do is to try to stay juuuust out of they range and bait them into doing the slow upward swing, then strike and quickly back off in case they try to pull a fast one. Fast attack is nasty, total bullshit when they hit you with two in a row.

Shotgun ones are still worse, Almost always hit you if you dont know proper technique.
Also, droids.

Next time (if you decide to play again) try to turning music down or even off. You will hear enemies around no problem and wont be surprised.
Also, painful lesson I had to learn many times, manually save every 15/20 min on different slots.
>>
>>3048234
Yep, it really make the game shine.
I like readable text on computers especially.
>>
>>3047603
happened to me too, the save system is bad in that regard. if it was your first time playing, you'll be able to get back to where you were quickly, won't take 3 hours again.
>>
>>3038581
I thought that Psi OPs is the most fun because you get a lot of variety in your powers, compared to the bang bang rooty tooty marine.

>get to the body of the many
>just sneak past all those meatbag niggers with the invisi power
>>
>>3048329
it's nbd I got back to engineering in like 30 minutes lol
>>
>>3048416
Yeah PSI is fun to play, I don't understand people saying it's shit, would be curious to know if you also play Bioshock without plasmids or Deus Ex without upgrades
>>
>>3050805
Psi powers are a big investment.
You have to pay cybermodules not only for power itself, but also for rising psi stat and unlocking a new levels of psi powers.
Add a cost of psi hypos and it stops looking so inviting.

Powers themselves vary from useless, through specialized and useful to gamebreaking.
You have to know the game to use best synergies.
>>
>>3047871

TNT, is that you?
>>
Anyone else beaten Overworld Zero?
>>
>>3050987
yeah, I know you can fuck it up hard, I guess being used to RPGs makes it easier to notice what are the most useful powers.

Found a good guide here : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=174524157
>>
>>3051121
>Invisibility + Flame Aura + Melee

so much this
>>
>>3051115
Yeah, I actually did. It's a pretty nice little roguelike in all it's simplicity. There's a standalone windows version out there by the way
>>
>>3048234
It's one of the few "HD pack" mods for old games that's actually good.
>>
>>3051292
>standalone
I know, I have it on disk.
The fact you can quit OZ, save in SS2 and return to OZ is really nice.

Also, fun fact, hacked Gamepig (required hacking lvl.6) gives you additional magic potion in OZ.

Also, winning OZ gives you 20(or 10, cant remember) nanites as a reward.
>>
File: 1444509141236.png (37 KB, 493x276) Image search: [Google]
1444509141236.png
37 KB, 493x276
>mfw get to the final boss and I don't have enough stuff to hack in and win and there's no going back
>>
>>3051874
Blast shields apart with superior firepower.
>>
>>3047253
is this doable?

what about that, but without realoading a million times and backtracking, running hiding and taking 20x longer of non-reloaded playtime
>>
>>3051101
no, I'm just a slav neckbeard
>>
>>3053110
Depends on the playstyle.
If you are careful and know the game, I dont think it would take much longer than normal playthrough.

Now,
>only psi
as in psi + wrench, or literally ONLY psi, no wrench?
If no wrench, then it would take some backtracking to replicators that sell cheap psi hypos.

Anyway, its doable.
>>
File: 002 - Copy.jpg (49 KB, 339x372) Image search: [Google]
002 - Copy.jpg
49 KB, 339x372
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPYnma2TBs

I NEVER GOT TO FINISH BUT FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME THIS SONG IS SO HYPE I LOVE IT.
>>
I wasn't the biggest fan when I played it. The retarded ai ruined it for me.
>>
>>3053847
you have good taste
>>
File: system-shock-2-rebirth-612x459.jpg (48 KB, 612x459) Image search: [Google]
system-shock-2-rebirth-612x459.jpg
48 KB, 612x459
>>3048234
>yup that looks grea..
>those retarded Rebirth models are there
just no
>>
File: 1455557167789.jpg (61 KB, 350x259) Image search: [Google]
1455557167789.jpg
61 KB, 350x259
SS2 would be in my top 5 games if it had gotten a couple more months of development time, but toward the end it was a rushed product and it blatantly shows.

That's not to say it's not still an amazing game though. Definitely a must-play for anyone who's serious about retro fps.
>>
>>3055998

Forgot to mention, it was literally aeons ahead of Half-Life in spite of only being released less than a year later.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.