[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are these controllers good for emulators? They look comfy a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14
Are these controllers good for emulators?

They look comfy as shit and looks like you have everything you need for NES-SNES games.

I know the N64 would most likely not be usable for this device, but there is always the Steam controller for that. Then again, I could always just use the controller for all emulators anyway.

http://8bitdo.com/nes30pro/

I discovered this controller from a video I stumbled upon on YouTube. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JI5XKAvck0
>>
>Are these controllers good
I can't imagine so
>>
>>3038190
Never used it, but from a single picture of the shoulder buttons alone I can tell it's the single best controller on the market bar none.

Your video confirms my thoughts.
>>
File: SFC30-game-controller-1_01.jpg (65 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
SFC30-game-controller-1_01.jpg
65 KB, 500x500
>>3038193
You'd be surprised. I have a bluetooth SFC controller from them and aside from having to re-pair it every time I want to use it (which may or may not be the fault of my laptop's bluetooth module) It's a really good controller. Can't speak for the ones with analog sticks though.
>>
>>3038190
The Mad Catz Retro Con was shit, and this looks like they took that idea and made it slightly more aesthetic for people who have to constantly spend money of junk to feel good about themselves.

Get an original controller and a usb adapter. Stop buying this crap, and maybe they'll stop making it. Crissaegrim. FUCK.
>>
>>3038496
on*
>>
>>3038190
>Crisseagrim

No, I couldn't stand playing with such a chuuni controller.
>>
the d-pad and face buttons are excellent, but the analog sticks and the shoulder buttons are somewhat awkward, but by no means unresponsive or cheap feeling. be very careful with the drivers, firmware, and the pairing modes however
>>
honestly, im excited about this thing.

its so pretty and well made.
>>
>>3038190
I own both a NES30 (not pro) and SFC30.

The build quality of 8BitDo controllers is excellent. They're in the same grade as properly made console gear like Sony and Nintendo.

I personally don't like the small size of the NES30, the SFC is better suited to my hands. A large part of that is probably the square edges, the curves of the NES30 Pro would probably be way better.
>>
>>3038190
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh6qZKPzuhc
>>
>>3038895
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6hhrX34Pw
>>
>>3038496
The retrocon was actually very good.
The lights were the only stupid thing about it.
>>
Pairing would be my only concern with wireless devices. I've run into so many flaky radios it's retarded.
>>
I have one of the NES30 Pros and it works really well. I've only used it in wired mode but it hasn't failed me yet. Took me a while to figure out how to use it in 360 mode, I kept plugging it in too soon. Some advice if you plug it into your PC: the standard button configuration is weird, power it on while holding R1 and wait for the cyan to completely disappear and the regular blue blinking to start. After a few seconds then plug it in and it should show up as an Xbox 360 controller.

I really like that they give you so many options when starting it up. You can even install optional firmware that lets it function as a PS3 or Wii controller should you desire
>>
>>3038190
Have the sfc30 and its really good. I use it for PSX and SNES emulators, either on PC or android. Will propably get the one with analog sticks for PS2 emulators.
>>
>>3038942
You're not a good person.
>>
i have a ps2 to usb converter, would this create any input lag? also, how does the ps2 controller work on nes and snes emulators?
>>
>>3039009
>>3038976
>>3038570
>>3038506
Is the dpad tight and clicky? It's important. For comparison, xbone elite controller has a very clicky dpad, almost too clicky, and dualshock 4's is soft and loose, feels like liquid shit
>>
>>3039070

You need a good d-pad. I use nintendo wii classics plus converter. No lag.
>>
USB peripherals have input lag.

Serial peripherals don't.

Native serial devices like Gravis gamepad suck so you need serial apadter for console controller.

If I get PCIe or PCI card serial port and plug in say a Playstation controller with serial adapter will it have no lag or will there be lag from the PCIe card to the CPU since the mother board is too new to have built in onboard serial port?
>>
>>3039097
What motherboard do you have that doesn't have a serial port?
They may not have the direct output but normally you can just buy a slot bracket with serial port that connects to the internal serial connector. Same for parallel.
>>
>>3039097
i know this is offtopic, but what about the usb gamecube adapter for wii u/pc? if i use it on my wii u to play sm4sh, is there lag with that? am i better off using the bluetooth procontroller?
>>
>>3038190

Well this is the first time I've seen someone post one of my videos on /vr/

I never tried emulating N64 while using this as a controller. I have a USB N64 controller from retrobit that I use. N64's controller is a really specific design and I never feel like any other controller quite works well enough like the original.
>>
>>3038190
Been using it for a few months, works fine.

/vr/ isn't for shilling though. GTFO.
>>
File: TheFaceOfExcellence.png (452 KB, 723x859) Image search: [Google]
TheFaceOfExcellence.png
452 KB, 723x859
>>3039054
Actually, I am An Excellent Person.
>>
>NES styled
>Four face buttons
>Two sticks
>>
>>3039674
You have 3 guesses who the targeted consumer is.
>>
I bought the SNES30 and I love it.
The "crissaegrim" controllers look like cancer though.
>>
>>3039080
I'd imagine it feels close to an NES d-pad. Which means you'll hate it.
>>
>>3039097
Input lag is caused by video issues, mostly resolution and not using CRTs. USB and bluetooth nowdays give zero input lag, just buy proper devices and not chinese ones.

Btw this bluetooth gamepads are pretty good, easily better than Buffalo.
>>
>>3039679
I only need one

The dim witted LOL SO 8BIT!!!111!! Types that buy anything that looks Nintendo
>>
>>3039814
> USB and bluetooth nowdays give zero input lag
Not quite true.

USB is a polled medium, it is latent by design.

Bluetooth itself can be quite fast but the Bluetooth HID adds a lot of latency, this is why Sony bypass the HID and send raw data to/from a statically-paired controller with the PS3 and PS4.

Saying these are zero-latency mediums is not right, but it's in the order of 50ms or less. Does that latency matter for almost all /vr/ gaming purposes? No.
>>
File: 2015185-DSC01661_19701_.jpg (97 KB, 1280x749) Image search: [Google]
2015185-DSC01661_19701_.jpg
97 KB, 1280x749
>>3038190
Doesn't look that comfortable.

I have pic related for using with my phone, and it's good. Only one shoulder button power side, otherwise I'd prefer it to my ps3 controllers. I've never played for more than maybe two hours at a time with it though.
>>
>>3039874
The latency is so far below the threshold of human perception it doesn't matter for pretty much any normal use situation.

Yes, if the system is under extreme load, you will notice it, but outside of a raspberry pi with Ethernet and HDD over the same USB port as your HID controller, it doesn't happen on modern hardware.
>>
>>3039906
> Only one shoulder button power side
So it only has say R1, not R1 and L1?
>>
>>3039874
You should try some input lag test with 240psuite. The results are virtually the same with USB and Bluetooth, and like other anon said, a human won't even notice. The only system that has lag issues regardless the gamepad or the screen is the SNES, I believe.

Now if you're playing in a big LCD screen at big resolution, anything will give you lag. Like I said, CRTs and original resolution is what matters most and is pretty much why the Wii is the best emulation box available nowdays.
>>
>>3039991
No, it had R1 and L1, not R1/R2 L1/L2 like you're used to on a PS2/PS3 or xbox controller.
>>
>>3039906
Note that this controller doesn't work if you put it through a washing machine twice
I am not a clever man
>>
>>3039097
>serial peripherals have quantum CPUs and FTL signaling
>>
>>3040208
:( ow. I don't really think any wireless controller could survive that.
>>
>>3038190
>http://8bitdo.com/nes30pro/
I fail to see how it's better than just using a PSP
>>
>>3038190
>Built in smart CPU
As opposed to all those dumb CPU's that go around spitting out 2's and 7's instead of 1's and 0's?
>>
>>3040035
Does the resolution or what type of monitor/TV you're using really matter when you're just emulating?
>>
They're neat.
Now can I have a 6btns one based on the Saturn design?
>>
>>3041334
Idk, I don't feel any lag on my 1080p monitor. I also use a crt for my wii and stuff so I should notice.

Maybe a 1080p TV is different? I don't have one of those.
>>
>>3041126
It's a controller, not a handheld.
>>
Is there anyone that I can use for iOS emulators
>>
>>3042791
Any worthwhile controller can operate in iCade mode. 8BitDo, Moga, and Wamo can all do this.
>>
>>3041126

i fail to see how it's better than just using a salad bowl
>>
>>3038215
thank you for posting this. I've been waiting for something like this for sooo fucking long.
>>
>>3039917
well reducing latency and lag is a game of sums, so anyway you can reduce the total all adds up to a sum of a better experience.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 656x285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 656x285
I've just found out the company has made snes30 controllers. Everything I've been reading says they're the best thing on the market. Anybody here own one?
>>
>>3045403
Try reading the thread m8
>>
How does a wii u controller compare to this?
>>
>>3038190
You should get a Saturn controller and an adapter, fairly cheap and great Dpad
>>
>>3039097
>Native serial devices like Gravis gamepad suck so you need serial apadter for console controller.

True, and NOT because the pad itself is just crap (which it is), but because the PC gamepad port ONLY does analogue. And not in a sane way. If you want to know if someone is pushing up, you first ping the port, this discharges a capacitor then you CONTINUOUSLY POLL the port waiting for it to change. The *amount of time* you spend waiting tells you how far the "stick" has been pushed in that direction. (Due to the variable resistor inhibiting the current flow.) Talk about input lag...
>>
>>3045737
>not knowing nearly all consoles poll their controllers.
>>
>Not using the PS4 controller for everything
Stop being a faggot or I'll make you one.
>>
>>3039906
Are you a midget?
>>
>>3039097
The amount of input lag you are going to get is seriously nothing to fret over. I used to be a low-latency whore, but then I realized as long as you aren't playing on a flat screen TV, you're basically good. Yeah, you could buy a CRT display and use serial ports and all that other stuff, but god it's such a pain in the ass to get those few milliseconds that might not even matter.

The future is USB, like it or not. Where the fuck do you even go to find a recently made game controller that connects via not USB?

You'd might as well embrace it. Besides, USB has plenty of advantages itself, like pretty good durability, hotplugging, and more potential functionality than serial.
>>
>>3046771
Nope, but I do have smaller sized hands. Also, unlike the cheapo controllers, steelseries actually put work into the design.
>>
So are the Snes30's and clip worth the money or not? I just want those hands to be me guys...
>>
>>3047021
Yes, I have the SFC30 and clip. I have a few of these - several GameKlip knockoffs and PS3 DualShock, Wamo Pro - and the SFC30 is by far the best for just stuffing in your pocket and emulating on the go.
>>
I ordered a NES30 Pro and they sent me a FC30 (not pro). It was on sale but not they won't give me the sale price on an exchange. Should I just request a refund on Paypal and keep the FC30? I really don't feel like sending it back and they won't send me the NES30 Pro until I do
>>
>>3047198
I would send the FC30 back and get the Pro. I have a NES30, the sharp corners and tiny size are pretty unsatisfying. Wish I'd gotten a Pro (well, Pros weren't out when I bought mine but whatever).
>>
>>3047021
Is that phone stand included? I'm looking on their site and I can't find it
>>
>>3048789
No, it's an optional extra. They sell the controller and clip in a bundle cheaper than buying them separately. Check the official eBay store, that's how I got mine.
>>
Anyone try out those ~10-15$ USB N64 controllers?
The ones that look like they're made from the original molds.
Are they any good?
>>
Just got my NES30 yesterday, and I've fallen in love with it. It's so easy to use once it's paired (which takes a bit of faffing especially on OSX) and the build quality is great. This is pretty much the perfect emulator controller.
>>
>>3049669
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-Gray-Grey-N64-USB-Controller-Nintendo-64-for-PC-Windows-MAC-Gamepad-/161833869080?hash=item25ae0cdf18:g:sDEAAOSwFnFWAJB-

Example of one
>>
>>3049669
No, but I have tried one of those $5 chink ripoff SNES USB controllers. It's utter shit, the d-pad was loose and unresponsive, you needed thumbs of steel to press the ABXY buttons. I don't know where it is now, I probably put it straight in the bin. I would not bother with the N64 clone.
>>
>>3049682
Yeah I just can't imagine this being a good experience. If you want N64, get/repair a genuine controller and get a USB adaptor.
>>
>>3049687
>>3049685
>http://youtu.be/hF5JECbJ-hY
It's apparently pretty decent
>>
File: 1444292187661.jpg (1021 KB, 1420x1136) Image search: [Google]
1444292187661.jpg
1021 KB, 1420x1136
>>3048794
Sweet. Now, does anyone know if there is thing like this for OPs controller?
>>
File: NES-30-Stand-Removed.jpg (323 KB, 2010x1130) Image search: [Google]
NES-30-Stand-Removed.jpg
323 KB, 2010x1130
>>3049776
It doesn't look like it. You can see the spots in the SFC30 and NES30 where a clip goes, but the Pro doesn't appear to have room for such a thing.

The NES30 comes with a thin but sturdy clip-on stand which can hold a phone or 7" tablet, pic related.
>>
There are 3rd party clips available for the Pro models but they're not that cheap.
>>
>>3049821
>>3049776
This monstrosity is all I've found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkmZ3XczOk
>>
>>3047021
Well I buckled and ordered the clip and controller separately off Amazon for $41 with prime. I'll let you know when it gets here.
>>
>>3050434
clip and controller? can i see the links?
>>
>>3051569
>>>3050434 (You)
>clip and controller? can i see the links?
No longer up. That was quick. But 8bitdo Amazon stock of back.
>>
>>3038501
glad someone else had that reaction.
>>
File: 20160310_142815.jpg (916 KB, 3268x2010) Image search: [Google]
20160310_142815.jpg
916 KB, 3268x2010
>>3050434
Well... It's awesome.
>>
File: snes controller buffalo 8bitdo.jpg (2 MB, 4793x1642) Image search: [Google]
snes controller buffalo 8bitdo.jpg
2 MB, 4793x1642
>>
File: 1snes_usb2[1].jpg (45 KB, 800x484) Image search: [Google]
1snes_usb2[1].jpg
45 KB, 800x484
These are neat for the wireless and phone use (if you seriously do that kind of thing), but if you're sitting at home on a PC emulator, why wouldn't you just adapt a real, authentic SNES controller to USB? What's the point of getting a replica that tries to be a real SNES controller as hard as it can when you can just get an adapter for the real thing for a comparable or cheaper price?
>>
>>3038190
looks cool. The PS1/2/3 controller is hands down the best retro gaming controller out there unless of course you're playing Sega games then get yourself a Saturn controllerh
>n64 emulation
Do those even work yet? Last time I checked was years ago and they were complete garbage.

I will say I like how this controller has wireless support for smart phones and such though. That's probably the only reason worth buying it.
>>
>>3055543
I just don't like sitting at my computer playing games. I never have.
>>
The only good option if you want to use classic controllers because you want to be a faggot it to use the adapters for the original controllers.
>>
>>3055543
pls gibe link
>>
>>3055494
What phone do you have? Can you test how tight the grip is, does it fall off etc?
>>
>>3055706
I'm not the new purchaser above, but I have SFC30 and clip. I have a Nexus 5 and it's plenty tight enough to play on public transport safely. I also tried my old Galaxy S2 in the clip, it gripped fine but pressed the volume down button when the phone was centered. A cheap eBay thin case would solve that problem, or just move the phone over half an inch.
>>
>>3055706
Lgg4. It's tight enough to not shake out from a curved back like the G4.
>>
>>3055740
Whats that ring thing for that comes in the smaller box?
>>
>>3055798
stand for the phone
>>
>>3055787
>just purchased g4 yesterday
>worry that it may not fit that clip
>see this

Damn it feels good
>>
>>3038190
It all depends on how good the d-pads are under the front cover. A lot of "SNES-alike" controllers end up having really shit flimsy d-pads that just make playing a nightmare.
>>
own a ness30pro. sucks cock. buffalo snes usb is better
>>
File: It could save your life.png (10 KB, 640x666) Image search: [Google]
It could save your life.png
10 KB, 640x666
Buffalo SNES controllers are total crap, avoid if possible. Very poor quality buttons.
>>
>>3058845
>>3058879
I've got a Buffalo SNES controller on the way to compare to my SFC30.
>>
File: 716wnw31ptL._SL1500_.jpg (106 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
716wnw31ptL._SL1500_.jpg
106 KB, 1500x1500
Has anyone tried the 8bitdo Zero? I travel a lot for work, usually short trips so I tend to fly with just carry-on luggag. My travel computer is an 8 inch Windows tablet, currently using a Buffalo SNES pad, but it's a bit big, and I'd like to cut down on cords.
>>
>>3049694
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and here's mine: The N64 controller was shitty and if you're going to be emulating anyway I think it's better to use a GameCube controller (or any modern controller, I guess).

I once saw a friend post a picture on Facebook of him and his friends emulating Smash Bros using real N64 controllers through an adapter and I felt like they were throwing away the benefits of playing on a real N64 while keeping the worst negative aspect of playing on a realN64.
>>
>>3060949
It depends on the game.
Using the c-stick for the c buttons is pretty shitty for games like Zelda.
>>
>>3060957
Why not map X Y and Z?
>>
>>3061017
Good solution, but playing the ocarina doesn't feel the same.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.